New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I can find things in the Exalted wiki which support what I'm saying, but I'm having a difficult time actually finding corresponding passages in the books (and since I don't trust wikis to be entirely accurate, this is frustrating to me).

I swear I've read it somewhere though.
    So much this.

I do vaguely remember a passage in Second Edition Core, but frustratingly it is not under the Sorcery or Necromancy entries that the index points you towards. I know it was the Core book since that was the only book I had for several years.

Edit: Oh, you found it. Thanks.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2010-04-26 at 08:42 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Oh my God Misho looks spooky in the last panel. Even his amina looks pale and ominous.

I also read the panels today as "I won't teach you sorcery," but I understood that couldn't be what it meant. No way Misho would rather have them necromancers.

Can anyone explain to me what it implies that Misho uses the First Age initiation for his casting?

Edit: Also, 6th panel is anime territory.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2010-04-26 at 08:59 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    So... He knows Solar Circle Sorcery and Necromancy? Yeah, he's not a God-Mode Sue.
    Of course not, he's a Golden Hero Vassal, which is better.

I imagine his sorcerous stuff has to do with the Blade of Vitality, much like much of his other stuff that seems to have been carried over.

I'm not surprised Misho knows Necromancy. He might not even have been a Compassion-based Exalt when he was younger, but Temperance-based, with a limit break related to his curiousity, only changing as the burden of years set down upon him.

And that's ignoring that the Golden Hero Vassals were the rulers of Creation, and basically had little to do except that which they made up for themselves. Studying everything ever was probably something Misho was interested in at one point.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Ah, I found what I was looking for. Doesn't seem to have any mechanical basis though, which just makes it bizarre.
    In the lexicon of the main book, page 18. Under Necromancy and Sorcery it mentions one inhibiting your ability to use the other.
    That's an error. Nephilpal (the author of both editions of Abyssals, Infernals, large parts of the core Solar charmset, etc) explained it once.

Basically, really early in 1e, nobody knew what Necromancy was supposed to be. So way back in the 1e lexicon, it had this throwaway line about how learning Necromancy made it harder to do Sorcery.

Then, Neph was assigned to write 1e Abyssals, and they told him he could do anything with Necromancy that he wanted. So he decided to make it so that every splat had a hardcoded limit for both Necromancy, separate from Sorcery, like we have now -- Solars can learn Sorcery 3 / Necromancy 2, Abyssals learn Sorcery 2 / Necromancy 3, Sidereals and Lunars learn Sorcery 2 / Necromancy 1, etc. Neither one blocks advancement.

And that was fine, and those have been the official rules ever since. But when the 2e Lexicon was written, someone mindlessly copy-pasted the obsolete entry from the 1e Lexicon. Learning Necromancy has never interfered with learning Sorcery, and vice versa -- as far back as there have been rules for Necromancy, it's always worked the way it does now. But somehow that one mistaken line in the lexicon keeps getting repeated.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, if Secret Exalted under the Silver Prince, there are some odds that her Father died inside the Prince's domain. And I know what happens to 7/8ths of the ghosts who do so. This could be even more heart wrenching then we are expecting.
    I reserved the right to be wrong. I just try not to exercise it.

Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

For those who lack the book that tells it, what does happen to most souls there?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #607
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    For those who lack the book that tells it, what does happen to most souls there?
    I believe they are made into soulsteel, which is used for everything from war machines to coins.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #608
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not quite.

The Prince has a magic rock deep under his lair that sucks in the souls of anyone who dies within the bounds of the Skullstone shadowlands, his domain. There they lie dormant, ready to be plucked out and used for soulsteel whenever they're needed. The most useful souls get allowed out to be ghosts, but they can be sucked back in at any time.

None of the mortals or ghosts that dwell in Skullstone have any clue of this. The religion put about by the Prince claims that those who don't become ghosts reincarnate. Thus, they are unaware that their homes, places of business, and necromantic conveniences, which all contain soulsteel, are made of their own ancestors.

Apart from the unspeakable evil, it's a pretty nice place to live.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

All characters should from now on be drawn like Misho from panel 6. It would make Secret that much more adorable.
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2010-04-26 at 06:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jukashi View Post
    Not quite.

The Prince has a magic rock deep under his lair that sucks in the souls of anyone who dies within the bounds of the Skullstone shadowlands, his domain. There they lie dormant, ready to be plucked out and used for soulsteel whenever they're needed. The most useful souls get allowed out to be ghosts, but they can be sucked back in at any time.

None of the mortals or ghosts that dwell in Skullstone have any clue of this. The religion put about by the Prince claims that those who don't become ghosts reincarnate. Thus, they are unaware that their homes, places of business, and necromantic conveniences, which all contain soulsteel, are made of their own ancestors.

Apart from the unspeakable evil, it's a pretty nice place to live.
    Kinda like how Desus was a pretty nice guy, apart from the unspeakable evil he did.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Kinda like how Desus was a pretty nice guy, apart from the unspeakable evil he did.
    No. Desus was never a nice guy, he simply mind-raped everyone to believe he was, and anyone who could resist simply didn't care.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    No. Desus was never a nice guy, he simply mind-raped everyone to believe he was, and anyone who could resist simply didn't care.
    He was a nice guy the same way that a giant shadowland is a nice place to live.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

He was a nice guy the same way that a giant shadowland is a nice place to live.
    They're not that bad.

Well, I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home in one, but the trees are actually quite lovely.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Any place that qualifies as an "Area of Desolation" is not a good place to live in my books. Also anywhere that could change my form or substance. Malfeas is bad too, thanks to the demons.

Actually, I think I'd feel most comfortable in Paragon. Big Brother isn't so bad if the rest of the world is out to get you.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Any place that qualifies as an "Area of Desolation" is not a good place to live in my books. Also anywhere that could change my form or substance. Malfeas is bad too, thanks to the demons.

Actually, I think I'd feel most comfortable in Paragon. Big Brother isn't so bad if the rest of the world is out to get you.
    I'll take the Realm or Lookshy any day of the week. Sure, they have very serious flaws, but they are probably the safest places in Creation... not that means much.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd probably go for Great Forks if I could choose. Get myself a nice little villa by selling some Temperance to a visiting Fair Folk diplomat, get a job as an accountant or something involving bookkeeping, take the time to dabble in thaumaturgy if I have the budget for a lab... The Art of Enchanting would be useful for a peaceful life, maybe Geomancy if I become an Essence-using mortal so I can attune to things. Plenty of potential for good living there. Until Thorns attacks, prompted by the Lover destroying Lookshy. Better dabble in the Art of the Dead so I can get a job as a necrotechnician.

...Unless, of course, they visited Nova's city during the winter, and it isn't always that cold.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

That make the theory that the Bodhisattva Anointed by Dark Waters is Desus all the more fun !
    Last edited by Xelloss; 2010-04-27 at 02:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

...Unless, of course, they visited Nova's city during the winter, and it isn't always that cold.
    Well, I personally like cold a lot better than heat, and as far as Creation rulers go, the megalomaniacal crazed Alchemical Exalted with a god complex is not that bad compared to most other options .

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
    Enlightened Mortals can learn either Sorcery or Necromancy, but not both of them. I don't remember reading something about Exalts.
    Same for Dragon-blooded - either you're aspected towards Sorcery or Necromancy, never both.

They don't even get to choose.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Well, I personally like cold a lot better than heat, and as far as Creation rulers go, the megalomaniacal crazed Alchemical Exalted with a god complex is not that bad compared to most other options .
    Especially given that the megalomaniacal crazed Alchemical Exalt with a god complex is actually rather benevolent, and despite her... eccentricities, she actually seems like a pretty nice person to boot (when she isn't doing things FOR SCIENCE!). But given the small amount of time we've spent around Nova, I don't believe my first impression of her is completely accurate.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

The funny thing is, he kinda was. He fought demons and Primordials, and made the world a better place on a large scale. All of his evil stuff, on the other hand, tended to be pretty personal. If a few wives and daughters go missing, or he went after his wife, surely that's nothing compared to everything he did to help Creation. [/Desus]

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
    The funny thing is, he kinda was. He fought demons and Primordials, and made the world a better place on a large scale. All of his evil stuff, on the other hand, tended to be pretty personal. If a few wives and daughters go missing, or he went after his wife, surely that's nothing compared to everything he did to help Creation. [/Desus]
    I'm sorry, what was that? I only heard "bloopity bloopity bloopity" a lot of times . Now excuse me while I blow up your face with this plasma cannon I have in my arm for being an evil bastard (I love Alchemicals. They actually have a perfect social defense that is a reverse translator, so you can just selectively turn the things you're told into gibberish to make sure they can't affect you).

And yeah, Nova didn't seem all that bad. Crazy, yes, but generally benevolent and more interested in experimenting with improving people than using them as fuel, which is already an step-up from many people in the setting .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-27 at 07:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

He also broke the eye of a peaceful behemoth, blinding him forever, just because. He did not differentiate between the things he fought - whatever he did, he did to spread his name and beat the challenge, not for the good of Creation.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    He also broke the eye of a peaceful behemoth, blinding him forever, just because. He did not differentiate between the things he fought - whatever he did, he did to spread his name and beat the challenge, not for the good of Creation.
    Nonsense! Oliphem's lens was shattered for a reason. Desus was hard at work fighting the Lintha, the cruel and vindictive spawn of Kimbery. Oliphem's desire to help all ships, while admirable, ultimately cost the lives of innocent mortals. Desus personally went to negotiate with the creature, and only after it refused to listen to reason did he blind it. And might I add, he only blinded it. Desus had the power to do a lot more had he wished, but he is an infinitely merciful man. And as a result, Desus managed to launch a surprise attack and defeat the Lintha's fleet, saving thousands if not millions of innocent lives.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2010-04-27 at 09:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

There were ways of doing it without actually blinding a behemoth whose entire purpose was to watch the seas of the West, dooming him forever to wandering the seas without knowing true fulfillment. What worse could he do to him compared to the eternity of spiritual anguish he has to endure?

((I do have a very strong feeling you're posting those things just to play the devil's advocate, but I can't help but take you seriously.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Nonsense! Oliphem's lens was shattered for a reason. Desus was hard at work fighting the Lintha, the cruel and vindictive spawn of Kimbery. Oliphem's desire to help all ships, while admirable, ultimately cost the lives of innocent mortals. Desus personally went to negotiate with the creature, and only after it refused to listen to reason did he blind it. And might I add, he only blinded it. Desus had the power to do a lot more had he wished, but he is an infinitely merciful man. And as a result, Desus managed to launch a surprise attack and defeat the Lintha's fleet, saving thousands if not millions of innocent lives.
    Hey, Desus, you do realize Social Charms don't work over the internet, right? We can see you for the douchebag you are .

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Desus, you do realize Social Charms don't work over the internet, right? We can see you for the douchebag you are .
    Linguistics Social charms actually would. Seeing how Linguistics is an Eclipse Caste ability I would guess he has quite a few of those.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    There were ways of doing it without actually blinding a behemoth whose entire purpose was to watch the seas of the West, dooming him forever to wandering the seas without knowing true fulfillment. What worse could he do to him compared to the eternity of spiritual anguish he has to endure?

((I do have a very strong feeling you're posting those things just to play the devil's advocate, but I can't help but take you seriously.))
    If by "eternity" you mean "until some Twilight gets off his butt and fixes him", then yes. The damage the great Desus did is fixable by a decent Solar craftsman as an expression of his great mercy. And while Desus is many things; skilled fighter, expert negotiator, passionate lover, all around great guy, he has unfortunately never had the time to learn crafting skills. One can hardly blame him for the laziness of his Twilight comrades. Of course, compared to Desus' constant amazing heroism, I suppose anyone would look lazy.

Hey, ask anyone who's met Desus; they'll say he's a great guy!
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2010-04-27 at 09:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629

Hey, ask anyone who's met Desus; they'll say he's a great guy!
    Unless they Favored Integrity.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, look at his relationship with his wife -- it was famous as one of the great loves of the First Age. Nobody who has such a wonderful relationship with his wife could be evil, could he?