Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default NarutoITP Episode 8: Swamp of Misery! The Second Exam Begins!

Thirty-ninth Training Grounds
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thirty-ninth training grounds is the location of the second portion of the Konoha Chuunin exams, a battleground meant to train chuunin on the particulars of combat in shore-side villages or river towns. A large river passes right through the middle of the training ground where a large majority of wooden and sheet-metal buildings have been built up on stilts for when the river floods in the spring. The only building of particular note is a large stone tower situated on an island in the middle of the river, the observation tower where chuunin, jounin, or even the Hokage would observe the practice runs of chuunin using this training grounds. It stands heads and tails above the other buildings and trees of the training ground and is an easy source of reference for those within it.

Generally the river bank and buildings have various insidious traps around them, part of the specialized combat training that chuunin use this training grounds for, but the traps aren't the only source of danger and some consider them to be the least. The other hazards of the thirty-ninth training grounds is the myriad of dangerous animals and planets that rightfully call the fenced in area 'home' and count among their number large crocodiles (and similar amphibious reptiles), poisonous snakes of various size, massive venus fly-traps, and ravenous fish and crustaceans inhabiting the riverbanks and the river itself. While a chuunin would find the training ground a challenge to get through, for those less experienced in the shinobi would find the swampy training zone hazardous at best and fatal at worst.

The gates were open. The genin teams, all seeking the rank of chuunin, were off into the training grounds.

What challenges would they face in this place? What dangers lurked around every corner?

Theme music.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2010-03-20 at 10:59 AM.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: NarutoITP Episode 8:he Swamp of Misery! The Second Exam Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post

Rei

"Here Kurotou-kun, you hold unto this. Your probably the best one to keep it safe." 'Momo' says with a wink as she all but bolts for the entrance to the forest, a mischievous grin on her face as she holds up two fingers to her lips and gives a shrill whistle. At the signal, something large and green stirred in the leaf-top above a particularly marshy patch of terrain and began to slither off towards the call and it's mistress.

Katsu falls into line behind Momo, scanning the thick foliage around them intently before glancing back empathetically at Kurotou.
    Kurotou nods, hooking it to the climbers belt he uses to store his shuriken, and the sheer amount of iron shavings he needs to make a sword, or even a smaller knife. Never the less. Speed was something he had in spades, and about 25 lbs of iron isn't anything to anyone who actually works out with weights. (I mean seriously. I DON'T work out.. at all... and I can run with 25lbs weights.) Though he does lag a bit behind Rei.

As they run, he begins to wonder if they know where they are going.. himself probably having made a huge mistake in allowing "Momo" to lead.. the girl was assertive.. but he'd be damned if she had a attention span larger than his thumb.

Thus he says.. without any apprehension.

"So.. Momo. You do have a general idea of where we're going right?"

*cough* Totally didn't miss the episode thread.
    Hayden, Hot blooded Cyborg by Jakuu.
    Plushrump ITP!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: NarutoITP Episode 8: Swamp of Misery! The Second Exam Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Kichiro

The gloved hand worked the polishing cloth carefully over the thing in the genin's hand, meticulously rubbing out blemishes or scrapes on the sturdy wood while the other fidgeted inside of his shinobi shuriken pouch. Finally Kichiro pulled out the pair of batteries and gave a little smile to himself as a hidden latch was opened up in the back of the wooden object, stowing the cloth in his belt while he fitted the batteries into place with the other.

"There we go. Hey, Takehiko ready to head out?" He calls out cheerfully, stowing the simplistic looking puppet within it's hidden holster as he jogged over towards his two comrades as they set out through one of the gates.

Did I pack everything? Fresh batteries, food, clean water, spare senbon, sleeping gas bombs, explosive tags, kousen, shuriken, kunai....hmm...I think that's everything.

"Hah hah, you think this test will be severe? I mean a death waiver is pretty serious business, ya?" He says nervously as his squad passes through their gate into the training area...
    Takehiko shrugged.

"They wouldn't bother with the paperwork if there wasn't the possibility. Let's try to keep their fears ill founded, Kichiro. Well, for us, at least."

With that, Takehiko started walking into the forest.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2010-03-19 at 12:51 PM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Rei

All the time that Momo guided the small band into the swamp, she keeps her eyes up on the leafy canopy above more then she does on the ground. It's all too soon that the chainlink fence they had passed through completely disappeared from sight to leave the trio alone within the almost haunting shadows of the thirty-ninth training ground.

"Hehe! Of course! Everyone's gonna rush straight in then go to the sides to try to intercept someone else. So while everyone else is zig-zagging about getting snatched up by gators and other teams, we'll rush to the buildings along the river and set up a trap! Genius, right?" 'Momo' babbles out until finally catching the sight she had been waiting for, the barest glimpse of a thick green coil hanging out over the side of a branch.

Oh, goodie! Iba-san is here! He'll find me the precious little kiddies while I stick these two someplace safe.

Katsu seemed to lag ever further behind, until he kept pace beside Kurotou, a grim look on his young face.

================================================== ====

Kichiro

"Ah haha. So serious about all this." Kichiro laughs weakly, keeping pace beside Takehiko with one hand resting on the pouch for his puppets and the other hanging loosely at his side.

"So do we have a plan or should we just take a defensive posture and wait to get attacked?" He says off-hand, eyes training on the ground and trees around him, always on the look out for tripwires and primed explosive tags. After all, if he had gotten in here first that's what he'd have done. Such is his distraction he almost steps into a flycatcher with a 'trap' larger then his leg!

"Haha, this will take some getting used to! To think there's such greenery and some of it might try to eat us too! The east really is spectacular, huh?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yana

Team Riptide moved with immense speed toward the tower. Come on, Move! The other teams may not have a reasonable strategy yet. We need to get to the center as quick as possible.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-03-19 at 08:02 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: NarutoITP Episode 8: Swamp of Misery! The Second Exam Begins!

Yuu

Yuu looks around at the entrance and then speaks to Nero

Let's get going, we can't wait around here all day!

Before starting to walk towards the nearest building.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-03-20 at 05:04 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ishida slowly pulled himself out of the swamp water, his two "Allies" following suit behind him quickly. The genjutsu the one had cast had done its job rather well. Anyone noticing the security around the battleground had been breached would find several rutting boar's at the outskirts at the east, west, south and north regions of the swamp. He gave his friends a small motion to come closer, preforming several hand movement's, pressing his hands to their foreheads. His chain suddenly disappeared into his body. Several links inserted themselves into the flesh of the other two nin, surging through their body and slowly rebuilding.

They'd make perfect bombs.

He nods quickly at the two.

"Right....all you have to do is get her friends gone. If you can do that, I'll pay triple. That jutsu should give you some improved strength, so you'll have no problem fighting against them. Now go. I have work to do."

The two nin disappear into the swamp, leaving Ishida to grin to himself.

"Alright Yasu-chan...lets do this."
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

[Yasuko]

As her hens dispersed to scout the area, Yasuko made another sign and summoned yet another chicken and turns to her teammates.

"Okay, so I had an idea for keeping our plate safe for now. We can give it to Ruth here and then I'll dismiss her, taking the plate with her. At the end of the exam I'll summon her back with the plate, that way it can't be stolen from us. And in case I don't make it to the end, I can prepare a summoning tag for you to use to get her. Sound good?"
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's a little interesting, I suppose."

Takehiko turned swiftly as Kichiro's leg almost landed in a poor location, then sighed faintly as his fellow shinobi corrected himself.

"Do try not to get eaten, please, Kichiro. ...I'll have a harder time passing the exam if I don't have teammates for this section. I'm going to need you for the ambush that we'll set. Now that the rest have gone ahead without us, we'll try to cut through faster than them, avoiding engagements until we've gotten far enough ahead to set a decent trap. From there, we acquire their plates."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

"You okay Kichiro?"

Raikou says as he leaps up to Kichiro's side to check it out.

"Oh, and Takehiko, Perhaps we should just wait a day and ambush someone at the tower, you know, get all our plates at once?"
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Yuu

Yuu looks around at the entrance and then speaks to Nero

Let's get going, we can't wait around here all day!

Before starting to walk towards the nearest building.
    Nero

Alright. We should first set up a base of operations.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuu

I vote this place!

Yuu points at the building nearest to them

It looks comfy.

The looks of the building far contradicts the statement of the young genin, far contradicts.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    "You okay Kichiro?"

Raikou says as he leaps up to Kichiro's side to check it out.

"Oh, and Takehiko, Perhaps we should just wait a day and ambush someone at the tower, you know, get all our plates at once?"
    Takehiko shakes his head.

"I don't think we should count on that. The ones with all their plates are the best teams in the exam; it's more risky than taking them from the people with fewer plates. If we see an opportunity, I suppose we can give it a try, but I'd rather strip the plates from people one at a time.

That said, it may be best to get reasonably close to the tower, as you say; we'll have to cover less ground to find people that way."

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Nero

Ummm... well that's a good place to start. We need to also scout around for the other teams and figure out how to keep our tag safe.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-03-20 at 04:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Yuu

Yuu looks a bit thoughtful, a tiny bit

We could hide it in the river.

Yuu then starts to walk toward the building

I'll look for traps!

EDIT:

(Perhaps we should wait for the third member )
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-03-20 at 04:09 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    Takehiko shakes his head.

"I don't think we should count on that. The ones with all their plates are the best teams in the exam; it's more risky than taking them from the people with fewer plates. If we see an opportunity, I suppose we can give it a try, but I'd rather strip the plates from people one at a time.

That said, it may be best to get reasonably close to the tower, as you say; we'll have to cover less ground to find people that way."
    "Well that does make sense, I was just thinking that we're one of the strongest teams out here. After all, you and Kichiro are some of the strongest ninja I've seen this year."

Raikou shakes his head and chuckles.

"But better safe than sorry I guess, haven't seen to much of the other teams, after all."

(OOC:Changing Raikou's text color to this. Just a heads up.)
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2010-03-20 at 04:11 PM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kyogou Sunadou

As Kyogou kept pace with the rest of his team entering the second test area, a thought occurred to him, and he turned to his teammates with a confused expression on his face. "He said that we wouldn't know what other teams tablets looked like, and that forgeries would make people get kicked off. Say someone is dumb enough to try and forge one of those plates and we take it from them, how will we know if it's a fake or not?"
    Spiffy new Bec Noir+Lil' Cal Avvie by RPGsr4me, thanks!
    Shockroach by Meirnon, and Glasya, Queen of Hell by Neoseph7
    Spoiler
    Show

Shockroach

Glasya, Queen and Mistress of Hell
    Skeleton Bronze for Third Place in Skeleton ITP! and Hydralisk Bronze for Third in Zerg ITP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Hayase

A few hours later, Hayase stood in front of a squirming young Iwagakure genin, pinned to a wall inside a run-down shack by a knife through his hands. The victim wept and whimpered for his mother as Team Riptide stood in front of him, and occasionally glanced at the bloody corpses of his former teammates piled against the wall.

"I...I...please, just-j-just let me go..."

Hayase cleans the last of the blood on her knife on the genin's trembling shoulders. "Let you go? Now what's the point in that? We still got questions to ask, y'see. So again: where. Are. Your. Tablets."

"I told you! We-we only have one!" He was panicking now, desperate. "We don't have any more! Just let me go! Please!"

Hayase sighs and glances at Yana and Tanaka. "No good on this one either. We're gonna need some fancy genjutsu, and that's out of the question right now." As she stares at the prisoner, she licks her knife slowly, as though she were tasting the most delectable chocolate in the world.

"At least we've got the requisite three tablets. For now, though, what do you guys wanna do with this one?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayame

In reaction to Kyou's question, Ayame makes this face,

Spoiler
    Show

and says, "I dunno..."
    she jumps up to a branch of a tree and looks out across the river valley.

She tried looking for a genin team nearby.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tanaka

Tanaka was leaning against a tree, eyes closed, a bored look on his face.

"Kill him. Take their usable gear, store it, and bury the bodies."

21. - Top - End - #21

Kai shrugs at Kyou's question. Not a bad idea, actually. If only they had access to a source of metal. A well. He files the thought away and instead focuses on the area around him. He seemingly ignores Ayame, but in fact his keen eyes begin surveying the surrounding area. A sneak attack on her vulnerable position would be...problematic.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yana

Yana was repacking the various kunai and shuriken that were scattered through out the battlefield into several of his scrolls.

Actually, we could just skip burying them all together. How about we leave the corpses and trap them in case another genin team comes to investigate the bodies? Therefore, we can have another victim team we can remove from the exam. The less competition, the better. We can always come back and check on the 3rd day if any unfortunate genin came along.

He then looks up at some liquid damaged steel that seemed melted and burned.

I don't think I needed to waste any of that for this fight however. But being cautious is what keeps ninjas alive.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    "Well that does make sense, I was just thinking that we're one of the strongest teams out here. After all, you and Kichiro are some of the strongest ninja I've seen this year."

Raikou shakes his head and chuckles.

"But better safe than sorry I guess, haven't seen to much of the other teams, after all."

(OOC:Changing Raikou's text color to this. Just a heads up.)
    Takehiko's lips twitch upwards just a bit, before returning to their normal dour expression.

"Thank you, Raikou, but I've heard of some pretty strong contenders in this year's exam. And, as you say, better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want to be beaten just because some kid unlocked his true potential in our faces, or picked off after a tough battle.

Now then, the others have gotten far enough in. We should be able to cut past them without getting too close to anyone. Let's go."

With that, he took off through the trees, watching for any and every trap he could imagine.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kichiro

"Haha, I'm alright! Can't get stopped this early, right? We are the heroes after all! Of our own story anyway. And we wouldn't make good heroes if some villains got the best of us before the grand finish of the Exams when we prove Suna is still unassailable." Kichiro says happily enough, dusting off his pants leg from where the plant had swiped at him and giving Raikou a comforting pat on the back.

"But Takehiko is right! We shouldn't be over-confident either. We'll set up a proper ambush, knock out the first team that looks right, and go on from there. It's a simple plan but a good one, huh?" He did seem to be a bundle of good cheer this day, but then again Kichiro had always been a wellspring of positivity ever since he had joined the team.

..The empty house reverberated with the knocks..a russet-head peeked out from beneath the stairs...An envelop was pushed underneath of the door...

"'sides, our sensei would never forgive a poor performance! That means we are fated to do well...Oh Kami..what if we fail?" It was like someone sucked all of the color out of his face.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Yana

Yana was repacking the various kunai and shuriken that were scattered through out the battlefield into several of his scrolls.

Actually, we could just skip burying them all together. How about we leave the corpses and trap them in case another genin team comes to investigate the bodies? Therefore, we can have another victim team we can remove from the exam. The less competition, the better. We can always come back and check on the 3rd day if any unfortunate genin came along.

I don't think I needed to waste any of that for this fight however. But being cautious is what keeps ninjas alive.

Hayase shrugs. "No burials? Fine with me. I hate digging anyway." She eyes the prisoner, who is now trying to tear out his hands from the wall.

"Woah there, chief! You ain't going nowhere." She slams the knife deeper into the wall with her foot and keeps it there, leaning over to the sobbing genin. "In fact, I think you're gonna be here for a real long time. Lessee, since I'm such a nice gal, I'll let you pick." She holds another knife up against his bare flesh.

"Throat? Kidneys? Temple? Ooh, how about the heart?"

"No! Nooo! Please I don't wanna--"

"Kidneys it is!"

He dies without a sound.

Hayase flicks the blood off her knife and wipes it on the corpse's clothing again. "No burials, right? Sweet." She squints a discerning eye at her latest victim, then spits in disgust. "Really, though, I thought our targets would put up a better fight. I mean, is this it? Really? No sport in it." Her face then twists into a sneer. "I don't think you'll need those extra traps there, Yana. They're all amateurs."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, it's better to have something and not need it then to need it and not have it.

He went quickly to work setting up traps on the genin's bodies and around the vicinity. After he was finished, he looked at his other teammates.

Come on, we need to put the tags in a new safe place to ensure our spot in the finals while we hunt other genin.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-03-22 at 10:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tanaka

Tanaka opened his eyes and stood up from his resting position.

"Fine by me. Let's head out. Just remember...someone out there might actually give us a fight. Overconfidence kills people better than us."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Hayase

"Someone better than us? Ha!" She twirls her knives and sheaths them. "Lookin' forward to it! Let's move."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Fine.

The three ninja dissappear in a blur.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Takehiko sighed.

"We won't, Kichiro. I won't permit it. So don't worry about anything, please. I'll make sure that we're the last ones standing."

Spoiler
    Show