Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Lightbulb [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    Biting Wind


    Where oceans ice over and the arctic gales blow, there are found the warriors of the Biting Wind. Impervious to cold, rough bitten but masters of grace, they are the elite of frozen warfare. No one moves faster over ice, nor know the ways of the glacier or the taste of the bitter breeze better. They are stone cold in resolve and just as solid. A guard of the biting wind off his skates is naught but a corpse.

    Biting Wind guardians are, almost without fail, glacier dwarfs, the students of older warriors learned in the century long war with the Frostfolk. The Azure Floe was the battle ground, an ancient frozen sea with depths unheard of, but filled with treasure; the wondrous Blue Ice. The dwarfs had been first to discover it, but the secret was heard upon the wind and such riches appealed to the Frostfolk. Though many already followed the discipline of the Bitter Edge, it was during that battle that it was perfected and their skill tempered. Like a tempest they at last drove back the Frostfolk. Glots and razor skipdisks rolled like an avalanche, and behind it came a thousand mighty warriors with blade on foot and blade in hand. To this day the scene of that final battle is stained red with the frozen blood of the fallen.

    Becoming a Biting Wind
    Standard dwarfs and humans are sometimes taught the ways if known to be a trusted friend of the people of the Azure Floe, but even then they are not considered to be a true member of the guard. Any race could learn it, but only a glacier dwarf uses it to it's full potential.

    Swordsages and Crusaders are the most common to go the way of the Biting Wind. Warriors of all types are capable, though must have at least a couple levels in a martial class to meet the prerequisites.

    Hit Dice: d10

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    Requirements
    To qualify to become a warrior of the Biting Wind, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

    Attack: Base Attack Bonus +4
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (dwarven war axe, glot, iuak, or razor skipdisc)
    Skills: Balance 9 ranks, Tumble 2 ranks
    Martial Maneuvers: Must know three Bitter Edge maneuvers.

    {table=head]Class Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Special
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|1|0|0|Skate Speed 40 ft., Flurry of Blades, Stability
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|1|0|1|Bonus Feat, Skateby Attack
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|1|1|0|Skate Speed 50 ft., Slick Charge
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|1|0|0|Ice Mastery, Skate Like the Wind
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|1|0|0|Floe Sense, Skate Speed 60 ft.
    6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|1|1|0|Bonus Feat, Light of Blade
    7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|1|0|0|Skate Speed 70 ft., Slice the Ice
    8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|1|0|0|Perfect Form
    9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|1|1|1|Bonus Feat, Skate Speed 80 ft.
    10|+10|+7|+7|+3|1|0|0|Poised Upon the Pinnacle
    [/table]

    Class Skills
    Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history/martial/nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points at Each Level: (2 + Int modifier)

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-

    Class Features
    All the following are Class Features of the Biting Wind prestige class.

    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Biting Wind is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, armor, and shields, except tower shields.

    Maneuvers: At each level you gain a new maneuver known from the Bitter Edge discipline. You must meed a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your Biting Wind levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At 3rd and 9th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

    Skate Speed (Ex):
    At first level a Biting Wind guardian gains a skate/ski speed of 40 feet that supersedes their land speed when wearing skates/skis and upon suitable terrain. At each odd-numbered level, he gains a +10-foot bonus to his skating/skiing speed. A Biting Wind may use the run and sprint action, and feats such as Run and Speed of Thought can be used on the ice and snow. It takes two full rounds to work up to a run. Once they achieve this velocity it requires much less effort to continue it, as they will continue to skid across the ice. Once the run speed has been met they only require a move action to continue at that velocity and do not have to make Constitution checks. They may also sprint, which allows them to move 5 times their normal skating speed (6 times with the Run feet), but are affected normally by the Run rules. Even if the Biting Wind stops actively skating he may allow himself to continue on, his speed decreasing by 10 feet per round.

    They may also jump while on skates with the bonuses applied by their speed at the time of the leap.

    A biting wind may move across slippery terrain even without skates or skiis but if attempting to move faster than their base speed must succeed on a DC 20 balance check each round. At 4th level they no longer need to make balance checks. They do not have to make checks to keep from falling on slippery services, even the affects of a Grease spell.

    Flurry of Blades (Ex): A Biting Wind is equipped with a blade on both feet and can use them well in battle. A Biting Wind, even while armored, may strike with a flurry of blades at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, he may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a 2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. A Biting Wind starts with the Flurry of Blows attack bonuses of a 1st level monk.

    This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a Biting Wind reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to 1, and at 9th level it disappears. A Biting Winds must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blades. At 9th level a Biting Wind may use Flurry of Blades as part of their move action.

    When using flurry of blades, a Biting Wind may attack only with unarmed strikes or with a Biting Edge's associated weapons (dwarven waraxes, glots, iuaks, and razor skipdisks). She may attack with unarmed strikes and associated weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blades, a Biting Wind applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The Biting Wind cannot use any weapon other than a Biting Edge's associated weapon as part of a flurry of blades.

    Stability (Ex):
    A Biting Wind gains the Stability ability alike to a dwarf's, even while on ice. If you already have the Stability ability, the bonus doubles.

    You may also take 10 on all Balance checks. At 5th level you may take 20.

    Bonus Feat
    At 2nd level a Biting Wind may choose one of the following feats if you meet the prerequisites: Agile, Cold Endurance, Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (dwarven waraxe, glot, razor skipdisc), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Martial Maneuver, or Speed Skating (see below).

    At 6th and 9th level he may choose from Combat Acrobat, Improved Cold Endurance, Martial Stance, Mobility, Storm of Flying Strikes, Two-Weapon Fighting

    Skateby Attack (Ex):
    When skating, the Biting Wind can take a move action and another standard action at any point during his move. The Biting Wind cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a skateby attack.

    Slick Charge (Ex):
    When a Biting Wind charges, he can make one turn of up to 90 degrees during his movement. All other restrictions on charges still apply; for instance, you cannot pass through a square that blocks or slows movement, or that contains a creature unless you can make a successful jump check to clear the obstruction. You must have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn. He may make two full turns at 6th level, and three turns at 9th.

    Skate Like the Wind (Ex):
    You know just how to skate into the wind or be pushed along by it. You may skate, unhindered, by any wind. Roll a 1d8 each minute to see what direction it blows towards. 1 is North, 2 North-East, 3 East, 4 South-East, 5 South, 6 South-West, 7 West, 8 North-west. When you skate in the exact in the direction of the blow you may add your own skate speed to it. If it is within one direction of the wind you may add half the wind speed to your skate speed. You may stop skating and let the wind carry you as well at its exact speed, able to perform a full round action as you continue on.

    If you are skating against the wind, going in the opposite direction of its blow, you may continue to skate at your base speed but may not use the run or sprint action.

    Ice Mastery (Ex):
    At 4th level a biting Wind has become accustomed to the constant slipping upon the ice and can use it to his advantage. As long as he is upon a slippery surface, regardless of whether he is wearing skates, he gets a +2 bonus on all Balance and Tumble checks, and a +1 bonus on Initiative checks. Even without skates he can use both the Run and Sprint action without the need of a balance check.

    Floe Sense (Ex):
    A Biting Wind can intuit the strength of any ice within twenty feet and knows how much weight it can hold.

    Light of Blade (Ex):
    A Biting Wind soon learns the perfect spread of weight upon frozen surfaces and is treated as being two size categories smaller for the purposes of determining the results of his actions on thin ice.

    Slice the Ice (Ex):
    As a move action you can dig your skates in deep, cutting the ice where you pass. You effectively decrease it's thickness by 2 inches plus 2 inches per size category above Medium. You must end and start your move action in the same square when you use this ability. You may affect an area up to equal to your base skate speed. You may follow the same path you did before, cutting it further each time. If the ice is a foot or less in depth it buckles and those in the space fall into what lies beneath.

    Perfect Form (Ex):
    Beginning at 8th level, you initiate your maneuvers with great fluidity and grace. The save DC (if any) of any maneuver you initiate increases by 1. A Bitter Edge maneuver DC increases by +2.

    Poised Upon the Pinnacle (Ex):
    At 10th level you learn a poise and stability that borders on the supernatural, but what has occurred is you have fully adapted to life on the edge, in your mind and body. This aids you in several ways.

    First, you can no longer be tripped, having achieved the perfect equilibrium. If a trip attack is made you automatically gain an attack of opportunity against your opponent.

    Second, you automatically succeed on all non-epic Balance checks. Slippery surfaces, narrow areas, and similar. Even during an earthquake you retain your footing.

    Finally you gain a +10 perfection bonus to your Armor Class, though you lose this bonus if flat-footed.

    -=-=-=-

    Speed Skater [General]
    You are lightening on ice.
    Prerequisites: Skate speed
    Benefit: Your skating speed increases by 20 feet.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-22 at 09:31 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned
     
    imp_fireball's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves In Iceskates

    Skate Speed (Ex):
    At first level a Biting Wind guardian gains a skate/ski speed of 40 feet that supersedes their land speed when wearing skates/skis and upon suitable terrain. At each odd-numbered level, he gains a +10-foot bonus to his skating/skiing speed. A Biting Wind may use the run and sprint action, and feats such as Run and Speed of Thought can be used on the ice and snow. It takes two full rounds to work up to a run. Once they achieve this velocity it requires much less effort to continue it, as they will continue to skid across the ice. Once the run speed has been met they only require a move action to continue at that velocity and do not have to make Constitution checks. They may also sprint, which allows them to move 5 times their normal skating speed (6 times with the Run feet), but are affected normally by the Run rules. Even if the Biting Wind stops actively skating he may allow himself to continue on, his speed decreasing by 10 feet per round.
    Awesome skating rule.

    So, are you using the general rules for skating taken from d20 ice hockey (which uses balance checks and the ability to take 10 when un-distracted and skating normally with a certain number of ranks in profession (hockey) or profession (figure skating/speed skating/etc.), I think?), balance being much like 'drive' used for vehicle rules in modern.

    I was thinking of adapting this to 'ride' for bicycles and balance for skateboarding.

    Come to think of it - tony hawk's proskating d20 would be pretty simple. Just up the balance DC for harder tricks that earn more points (and jump for ramps and such; PHB tells you what space you end up in if you fly randomly I believe). Also include a map for each course, requiring players to search out 'gaps' to get them more points and ingenuous tricks would also earn bonus points.

    Most points after a certain number of rounds wins, just like the game. Of course, if you die trying too crazy of trick (falling damage can be a drag), you lose.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-03-19 at 09:35 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves In Iceskates

    Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    So, are you using the general rules for skating taken from d20 ice hockey (which uses balance checks and the ability to take 10 when un-distracted and skating normally with a certain number of ranks in profession (hockey) or profession (figure skating/speed skating/etc.), I think?), balance being much like 'drive' used for vehicle rules in modern.
    Crap, didn't even know there was official skating rules... will have to look through to see if I'd want to get that in depth with the skating rules.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned
     
    imp_fireball's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves In Iceskates

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Crap, didn't even know there was official skating rules... will have to look through to see if I'd want to get that in depth with the skating rules.
    They aren't 'official'. Rather homebrewed.

    D20 Ice Hockey is on these boards somewhere. I'd google it.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    This is pretty awesome. But no stance progression?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    This is pretty awesome. But no stance progression?
    Meant to put those in... just added. I feel it needs two stances known, but second thinking because of making it too strong compared to other martial PrCs.

    Edit: Then looking at Jade Phoenix Mage... full BAB PLUS nearly full casting PLUS stance progression PLUS all the special abilities? That's insane. He'd be near worth losing 2 caster levels just to get the full BAB.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-03-20 at 12:07 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DracoDei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Atlanta,GA USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    It is possible to qualify for this with only a single level of Swordsage or Crusader, and TECHNICALLY possible to get in by taking Martial Study 3 times.
    Best homebrew:
    Grace-Gift - Truly Defensive base class, Falling Anvil Discipline - Loony Slapstick as Martial Art, Mepholk - Snuggly skunk-people. , Wing Dragon Masters of flight Comment HERE, Organ Undead Mega-Thread livers, skins, etc.
    Filk: 4000 Years(to live)
    Running: Ruceeglaelsktinag: "Justifiable Genocide", Contradiction in terms? IC OOC Active Map: None.
    For everything else see: Full list of Homebrew.
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    It is possible to qualify for this with only a single level of Swordsage or Crusader, and TECHNICALLY possible to get in by taking Martial Study 3 times.
    Welllll, ok, yeah, if you used every feat slot you could get that I guess without a martial class. That's stretching it though

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DracoDei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Atlanta,GA USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Warriors of all types are capable, though must have at least a couple levels in a martial class to meet the prerequisites.
    It is possible to qualify for this with only a single level of Swordsage or Crusader, and TECHNICALLY possible to get in by taking Martial Study 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post

    Class Skills
    Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history/martial/nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

    Skill Points at Each Level: (2 + Int modifier)

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-

    Class Features
    All the following are Class Features of the Biting Wind prestige class.


    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Biting Wind is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, armor, and shields, except tower shields.
    I would CONSIDER just giving proficiency with glots etc,, unless there is some reason why you want all of them to be able to use long-bows.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Maneuvers: At each level you gain a new maneuver known from the Bitter Edge discipline. You must meed a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your Biting Wind levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At 3rd and 9th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    The second to last sentence isn't needed I don't THINK... it is a PrC, and it grants maneuvers, therefor it stacks with everything... Eh... I guess it couldn't hurt to leave it in. As long as we are discussing boilerplate, you might want to put in the standard thing about replacing a maneuver at every even numbered level... then again with Sword-sage progression and only one discipline, you might want to leave that out, but if so you should probably do so explicitly, rather than implicitly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    A biting wind may move across slippery terrain even without skates or skiis but if attempting to move faster than their base speed must succeed on a DC 20 balance check each round. At 4th level they no longer need to make balance checks. They do not have to make checks to keep from falling on slippery services, even the affects of a Grease spell.
    You forgot to italize Grease I believe, and you should probably slap on "or similar spells or effects". Also this COULD be interprited that they auto-succeed ALL balance checks, even ones for tight-rope walking or involved with maneuvers, so you probably want to say "At 4th level they no longer need to make balance checks for that purpose."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Flurry of Blades (Ex): A Biting Wind is equipped with a blade on both feet and can use them well in battle. A Biting Wind, even while armored, may strike with a flurry of blades at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, he may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a 2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. A Biting Wind starts with the Flurry of Blows attack bonuses of a 1st level monk.

    This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a Biting Wind reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to 1, and at 9th level it disappears. A Biting Winds must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blades. At 9th level a Biting Wind may use Flurry of Blades as part of their move action.

    When using flurry of blades, a Biting Wind may attack only with unarmed strikes or with a Biting Edge's associated weapons (dwarven waraxes, glots, iuaks, and razor skipdisks). She may attack with unarmed strikes and associated weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blades, a Biting Wind applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The Biting Wind cannot use any weapon other than a Biting Edge's associated weapon as part of a flurry of blades.
    Personally I would make this grant the effects of the Snap Kick feat in Tome of Battle, but perhaps with a reduced penalty and the skates counting as the weapon, rather than it being an unarmed attack. If you want to hybridize this with the monk's flurry mechanics for the to-hit penalty, how many extra attacks are granted (all of which would presumably be with the skates) or even the damage on the extra attacks, that is fine, but right now your fluff (blades on feet) doesn't match your crunch (extra attacks with glots). The simpler solution would actually be to change the fluff, but I like the idea the other solution better for pure "cool factor"... and as impractical as they would actually be (iceskates don't work well if they are razor sharp I don't think...) the concept of +2 Keen Shocking Frost Burst Pair of Iceskates just grabs me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Stability (Ex):
    A Biting Wind gains the Stability ability alike to a dwarf's, even while on ice. If you already have the Stability ability, the bonus doubles.

    You may also take 10 on all Balance checks. At 5th level you may take 20.
    Taking 20 might be broken disciplines that use balance... then again, those checks aren't usually in their to be failed, just to require a skill-point investment and for flavor. At least that is what I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Bonus Feat
    At 2nd level a Biting Wind may choose one of the following feats if you meet the prerequisites: Agile, Cold Endurance, Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (dwarven waraxe, glot, razor skipdisc), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Martial Maneuver, or Speed Skating (see below).

    At 6th and 9th level he may choose from Combat Acrobat, Improved Cold Endurance, Martial Stance, Mobility, Storm of Flying Strikes, Two-Weapon Fighting
    Having a different list for 2nd level from the one for 6th and 9th seems a little odd. What was your reasoning for doing it that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Slick Charge (Ex):
    When a Biting Wind charges, he can make one turn of up to 90 degrees during his movement. All other restrictions on charges still apply; for instance, you cannot pass through a square that blocks or slows movement, or that contains a creature unless you can make a successful jump check to clear the obstruction. You must have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn. He may make two full turns at 6th level, and three turns at 9th.
    Thematically, I would prefer to see something like the turning rules for flight here, rather than a number of sharp turns and improving maneuverability. This would be more complicated, so YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Skate Like the Wind (Ex):
    You know just how to skate into the wind or be pushed along by it. You may skate, unhindered, by any wind. Roll a 1d8 each minute to see what direction it blows towards. 1 is North, 2 North-East, 3 East, 4 South-East, 5 South, 6 South-West, 7 West, 8 North-west. When you skate in the exact in the direction of the blow you may add your own skate speed to it. If it is within one direction of the wind you may add half the wind speed to your skate speed. You may stop skating and let the wind carry you as well at its exact speed, able to perform a full round action as you continue on.

    If you are skating against the wind, going in the opposite direction of its blow, you may continue to skate at your base speed but may not use the run or sprint action.
    Are these the standard rules for determining wind direction (I might have expected Stormwrack to have something on the subject if nothing else....)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Ice Mastery (Ex):
    At 4th level a biting Wind has become accustomed to the constant slipping upon the ice and can use it to his advantage. As long as he is upon a slippery surface, regardless of whether he is wearing skates, he gets a +2 bonus on all Balance and Tumble checks, and a +1 bonus on Initiative checks. Even without skates he can use both the Run and Sprint action without the need of a balance check.
    The initiative thing could cause problems in fights on varied terrain, but it is probably not worth worrying about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Floe Sense (Ex):
    A Biting Wind can intuit the strength of any ice within twenty feet and knows how much weight it can hold.
    I like it. Free/automatic/continuous action I assume?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Light of Blade (Ex):
    A Biting Wind soon learns the perfect spread of weight upon frozen surfaces and is treated as being two size categories smaller for the purposes of determining the results of his actions on thin ice.
    Very nice... I MIGHT also include as a class ability or manuever the ability to INTENTIONALLY leave a trail of broken ice behind you (Balance check/6 vs the thickness of the ice in inches??) as a battle-field control ability. This can be cartoony (especially if you go in a circle around a foe), but I could also see it being something quite serious, and within the bounds of the supernatural flavor of the discipline.
    And you did this next... although limiting it to a circle, rather than leaving a line behind you is a limitation I wasn't thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Slice the Ice (Ex):
    As a move action you can dig your skates in deep, cutting the ice where you pass. You effectively decrease it's thickness by 2 inches plus 2 inches per size category above Medium. You must end and start your move action in the same square when you use this ability. You may affect an area up to equal to your base skate speed. You may follow the same path you did before, cutting it further each time. If the ice is a foot or less in depth it buckles and those in the space fall into what lies beneath.
    A static foot seems too... static. also you have a linear dimension equated with an area, so you should probably re-phrase that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Perfect Form (Ex):
    Beginning at 8th level you initiate, you initiate your maneuvers with great fluidity and grace. The save DC (if any) of any maneuver you initiate increases by 1. A Biting Edge maneuver DC increases by +2.
    Interesting to give a bonus to OTHER disciplines, but... why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Poised Upon the Pinnacle (Ex):
    At 10th level you learn a poise and stability that borders on the supernatural, but what has occurred is you have fully adapted to life on the edge, in your mind and body. This aids you in several ways.

    First, you can no longer be tripped, having achieved the perfect equilibrium. If a trip attack is made you automatically gain an attack of opportunity against your opponent.

    Second, you automatically succeed on all non-epic Balance checks. Slippery surfaces, narrow areas, and similar. Even during an earthquake you retain your footing.

    Finally you gain a +10 perfection bonus to your Armor Class, though you lose this bonus if flat-footed.
    A sudden +10 to AC is a bit jarring... also note that this basically shuts down Setting Sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post

    -=-=-=-

    Speed Skater [General]
    You are lightening on ice.
    Prerequisites: Skate speed
    Benefit: Your skating speed increases by 20 feet.
    Probably fine, although others might weigh in on if it should only be +10 or something...
    Best homebrew:
    Grace-Gift - Truly Defensive base class, Falling Anvil Discipline - Loony Slapstick as Martial Art, Mepholk - Snuggly skunk-people. , Wing Dragon Masters of flight Comment HERE, Organ Undead Mega-Thread livers, skins, etc.
    Filk: 4000 Years(to live)
    Running: Ruceeglaelsktinag: "Justifiable Genocide", Contradiction in terms? IC OOC Active Map: None.
    For everything else see: Full list of Homebrew.
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned
     
    The Vorpal Tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Mindfields
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [PrC] Dwarves... ON ICE!

    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I would CONSIDER just giving proficiency with glots etc,, unless there is some reason why you want all of them to be able to use long-bows.
    I don't see why they couldn't also use other weapons however. Quarterstaff could be the equivalent of a hockey stick for example.

    The second to last sentence isn't needed I don't THINK... it is a PrC, and it grants maneuvers, therefor it stacks with everything... Eh... I guess it couldn't hurt to leave it in.
    ---
    Having a different list for 2nd level from the one for 6th and 9th seems a little odd. What was your reasoning for doing it that way?
    ---
    The initiative thing could cause problems in fights on varied terrain, but it is probably not worth worrying about.
    ---
    Thematically, I would prefer to see something like the turning rules for flight here, rather than a number of sharp turns and improving maneuverability. This would be more complicated, so YMMV.
    ---
    Taking 20 might be broken disciplines that use balance... then again, those checks aren't usually in their to be failed, just to require a skill-point investment and for flavor. At least that is what I hear.
    ---
    Interesting to give a bonus to OTHER disciplines, but... why not?
    All these wordings and functions are actually stolen from other Prestige Classes, Feats and similar.

    Personally I would make this grant the effects of the Snap Kick feat in Tome of Battle, but perhaps with a reduced penalty and the skates counting as the weapon, rather than it being an unarmed attack. If you want to hybridize this with the monk's flurry mechanics for the to-hit penalty, how many extra attacks are granted (all of which would presumably be with the skates) or even the damage on the extra attacks, that is fine, but right now your fluff (blades on feet) doesn't match your crunch (extra attacks with glots). The simpler solution would actually be to change the fluff, but I like the idea the other solution better for pure "cool factor"... and as impractical as they would actually be (iceskates don't work well if they are razor sharp I don't think...) the concept of +2 Keen Shocking Frost Burst Pair of Iceskates just grabs me.
    Hmm, that would work.

    Are these the standard rules for determining wind direction (I might have expected Stormwrack to have something on the subject if nothing else....)?
    You would think it would, but don'y actually don't recall them having any. I wrote those up.

    I like it. Free/automatic/continuous action I assume?
    Right

    A sudden +10 to AC is a bit jarring... also note that this basically shuts down Setting Sun.
    Well, thought it might be a bit much, but you'll be, what, 17th level at this point, minimum?

    Probably fine, although others might weigh in on if it should only be +10 or something...
    You can get a +10 to speed with another feet that works on all terrain. This only works on ice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •