New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

It is a beautiful summer afternoon on the coast of southern Europa. The sun is shining brightly as it always does on the land known to mortals as Hellas and to the Fair Folk as the seat of power of the Summer Court, and a gentle breeze wafts across your faces while over a dozen of you travel up to a palace overlooking the Mediterranean. The breeze is refreshing in the warm sun, and never too chill nor too strong, for it dances and whispers at the whim of the Lady who lives in the palace: the Regent of Winds, she who commands Zephyrus and Boreas and their six siblings, she who is the favored granddaughter of the Queen of Air and Darkness, she who has fought skirmishes against four generations of mortals and counting, she who advises the Unseelie fey of Summer in the arts of aerial warfare.

She will soon add to her list of accomplishments “she who serves as your mentor and guide,” for each of you has been chosen to serve the armies of the fey in the not-quite-openly-acknowledged conflict with the Empire of Man—some of you for your noted excellence in battle, some of you for your hatred of the Empire, some of you for...other reasons. Being among the most personally powerful of the lesser fey, you shall be held accountable only to one of the most politically powerful of the fey nobility. You are reminded of this power as you each are formally invited over the threshold of the Regent's home by her manservant; the palace is a glittering wisp of gossamer-thin glassteel (as is the fashion among Summer nobles) glowing in a riot of colors thanks to the multitude of lesser Summer fey flitting about limned in faerie fire and singing with breathtaking music thanks to the air elemental creatures flitting hither and thither through the flute-like minarets atop the towers.

As you enter the main audience hall you finally meet the Regent in person. She descends the crystal stairs spiraling down from the ceiling, garbed in a diaphanous gown that looks to be woven out of morning mist. She herself appears to have been sculpted from mountaintop snow and the silver lining of the clouds, and there are many indrawn breaths from the fey who accompanied you in response to the sight. She smiles at you and, with a wave of her arm, conjures up a handful of tables around the room set with all manner of delicacies. Undaunted by the strange and varied appearances of the fey around you, the Regent's servants flutter in with a range of seats able to comfortably fit anything from a tiny sprite to a large humanoid beetle.

Your journey must have been tiring, she sings out in a smooth contralto. Please enjoy my hospitality before we address the reason for your coming. Look around you, and look well...to your left and right stand those with whom you shall share your lives for the foreseeable future. Make friendships; eat and drink; celebrate life. I shall return in two bells' time. With that, the Regent fades away and small placards appear on the tables; you notice the names Tahlthi-zair, Bluebell, Tesse, Ráwen, Tulacea, and Grigor arranged clockwise around the closest table.

Spoiler
    Show
    With that rather verbose introduction out of the way, you are now free to introduce yourselves and interact with the other characters over munchies. Once everyone has established their character to their satisfaction, we'll move on to your first assignment. The OOC thread is here.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-10-06 at 11:02 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Mara shifts around anxiously, feeling very out-of-place but trying not to make it too obvious. The mortal world was her home, not this strange place where the illusions were more solid than the real things; she might have been half-faerie, but she wasn't really of Faerie, not really. She couldn't control people here, for one thing - not when most of them were at least a century her senior and brimming with magic - and she hated that. But she'd adjust to it more in time, she was sure; and, well, she'd apparently have quite a lot of time, assuming she was fortunate enough to live out her natural lifespan.

Now distracted in addition to being uncomfortable, she took her seat and flashed what she hoped was a winning smile at her colleagues. Maybe they'd be more within her understanding. If she could understand them, she could take control before somebody else did. "Well hi, I'm Mara. I look forward to working with all of you, and hopefully getting to know you."

Were it not for the blue-gray butterfly wings sticking out of her back, Mara would have looked quite human. Clad in a simple blue tunic and black trousers, with short black hair and dark brown eyes, she actually looked somewhat plain and rural. Not unattractive by human standards at all, but a far cry from the almost ethereal appearance of many fey and their descendants. It was her personality that was magnetic, something about her that was just attention-grabbing. She was the kind of person that people couldn't help but listen to, even when she didn't have much to say.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-03-31 at 09:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Tahlthi looks around in wonder, the crystalline rainbow hued drape swishing about as she turns this way and that, as her bug head almost never stopping for a moment. This place... so very different from the forests of home. She was certainly enjoying herself, despite her curiosity she never left the woods often. The humans strayed to close for comfort on a regular basis. But when the Regent appeared oh boy did she ever straighten up in respect, and maybe a little slack mandibled to. She was still surprised that she'd been chosen, apparently she'd earned a bit more recognition than she thought when she received the honorific. When the regent disappeared she hesitantly took her spot at the table, looking around at her new companions. She nods as Mara spoke. "I am called Tahlthi-zair, though you can call me Tahl for short. I look forward to working with you all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Owain stands, with the rest, in the back waiting for the noble to grace them with her presence. He had mix feelings when he found out that he was selected for this team. His master still had much to tell him and he was still not sure of how others would view his ability. Owain knew that the war had been going on but it was background noise at this point to him. He also feared that needing people like him to to enter the war meant it was getting louder.

Coughing hard and trying to to interrupt anyone he leaves to the next room and stares into a mirror. Owain loved Agares' power and praised his ability to talk to anyone but Agares' coughing would leave him voiceless for days after Owain released him. Returning in time to catch the first persons name Owain knew it was only a minute before he would start again. So after Tahl says his piece Owain speaks up, voice full of confidence.

"Hello, my name is Owain Girgor. I too am looking foreword to working with you all and-" But sadly it was too much as the coughing started up and he waved to the next person telling them to go.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2010-03-31 at 05:28 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bluebell

Bluebell basked in the radiance of the Court, and it's mistress, barely listening to (though still hearing) what the Regent had to say. Admittedly, this wasn't her first appearance at Court, so she knew that nothing of importance would be discussed yet. She breathed in deeply, and smiled. It's good to be home.

When the others started toward the tables, Bluebell watched them for a moment, and then followed. She grabbed a bowl of honey water (one nearly as large as her self, and likely heavier), and settled in. "Golden Bluebell, I am" she said when the opportunity arose, as she studied the others, trying to discern their their real names, "And I'm sure whatever they have planned will be endlessly amusing, and even more fun to sing about."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Ráwen
    A large lion padded over to the place at the table labeled "Ráwen", before sitting on her haunches and revealing the elven face beneath the mass of wild hair. She wore carefully wrapped sashes about her body, more for the magical protection they provided than for modesty, though it filled for latter purpose as well. A soft purr turned to speech and she said, "Goood. Amusement would be most welcome. And to be amused, we are to celebrate the gift your mother gives you... though prized by all, the long and short of it is, too much of it kills you every time." The sphinx's emerald eyes gleam hungrily and her tail swishes, smirking broadly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tulacea seems almost in a daze as the Regent's servants usher her through the mansion, her sky-blue eyes as wide as saucers as she tries to take it all in. Between the strobing lights and their flickering reflections, winds shifting at random through the breezeways, spun glassteel looking like it might collapse at any moment, and furniture appearing out of thin air... it's all changing far too rapidly for her liking.

"Life," she announces, and takes her seat beside Ráwen, still somewhat distracted. She's wearing even less clothing than the sphinx: Her slender, lanky frame is covered only by several layers of rough bark, and even that is peeling and flaking off in thin white sheets. Nothing about her body or demeanor suggests that there's anything underneath that's necessary to cover up, though.

Idly, she picks up her placard, reads it, and sets it down... and then seems to realize she ought to be meeting people. "Oh. Um. Hello! It's nice to meet all of you in person.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Ráwen
    "Not many among the faerie who take much interest in riddles, that are not sphinx; you amuse me already. Do you know any of your own?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Mara tries not to stare too openly at the sphinx, and the woman that answers him, but responds slowly. "I know a few. They're all ones that I've heard enough to remember, though, so you've probably heard them before."
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-04-01 at 01:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting companions indeed... "Life... Some live long, others short, others still have theirs shortened for them..." Tahl says before shaking as if to rouse herself. "Where I'm from riddles and stories are delighted in but not much time for, one often has to travel alone so that the land can be protected."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Ráwen
    "So strange it is, how the faerie delight in mischief and mirth, and yet you feel riddles frivolous. Still, tis better than those who feel riddles are a game of iron, the purview of mankind. Some fae fear those who think too much.

"But not I; I'll give one more before I desist. 'To name me, is to ask the time of midday above the greatest of monuments to my kind.'"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ra is the Egyptian god of the sun, associated with midday. Hence, "Ra, when?" could be a way to ask how long til noon in Egypt - where the Great Sphinx is.

This riddle's kind of weak, really, since there are more than one acceptable answer and it references real world things that may have no counterpart in the game, but it's the best I could come up with.

Also, in the background fluff I wrote up on Sphinxes in my backstory, I described a situation where many fae find riddles too strongly associated with mankind - namely, with the 'iron of the mind' that causes things like laws and society and technology to form, because the puzzles have a single correct answer, which fae find constraining, and therefore seem too lawful for faerie taste. If anyone objects to that, let me know so we can work something out. Of course, as PCs I suppose we're special anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12

Bluebell

Having missed the first riddle entirely (more due to not having realized it was one, than not figuring it out), Bluebell finally puts it all together, and exclaims "Oh! You're a Riddle Kitty! I see now." She takes another sip of her honey water, but offers no solution for the riddle.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's also written on the card right in front of you," Tulacea points out, helpfully.

"And I'm afraid I think I don't know any riddles... I could probably remember one of the ones you're going to tell me, but then you'd probably already know that one now..." She pauses for a moment, squinting at something in the non-existent distance. Her hair ruffles with the winds of the mansion, but she's otherwise as motionless as a plant.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Ráwen
    "And the first had been answered by our regent just moments prior. It matters little to me. I'm not aiming to really puzzle you..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Mara shrugs, and starts poking at the food in front of her and tasting it. Delicious, of course, but there wasn't much substance to it. It was all strange fruits and exotic nectar and what have you. Never a decent piece of meat. She tried not to think too hard about what her tastes in food said about the tastes of the fey that she was descended from. In between bites of something sweet and fluffy, she tries to make more conversation.

"So if we're going to be working together, maybe we should try to get to know each other a little? I'm not asking for deep dark secrets or anything, just some basic information would be nice."

Idly, she spears a blossom with a fork and bites off a petal while she thinks for a moment. "I'll start, if you want. Let's see... I'm Mara Tesse, you already know that, and I was born and raised in the human world. Hadn't ever seen the Otherworld at all until a few weeks ago, actually. As far as I can tell, I only got thrown into this team because I'm good at talking with humans."

16. - Top - End - #16

Bluebell

Nodding to Mara, Bluebell puts in "Good idea. I'm a Petal, one of the immortal fey races. If you try to sniff me, I will bite your nose. I'm very unsure of my age, besides very old. Oh, and I sing, dance, and arrange flowers. Mostly sing, though."

After a moment's pause, she adds "And while my name might be Golden Bluebell, I'd rather be called Blue, or Bluebell."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl tastes the food inbetween her new companions speaking, when it came to the subject of backrounds her antenna sort of twitched. "As I said before I am Tahlthi-zair though Tahl for short is just fine. Born and raised in the human world as well though within a community of fey and elves, I haven't seen the Otherworld till now either..." She shrugs. "I'm handy with a blade though otherwise not good at much much."
    Last edited by userpay; 2010-04-04 at 09:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Tulacea remembers to blink, and comes out of her momentary trance with an embarrassed smile. "Sorry, miles away. I'm Tulacea the Oracle, and I can see things long ago and far away and yet to be." There's a slightly strange rhythm to that last part, as if it were something she's memorized and has been saying for a long time without really thinking about what it means.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Ráwen
    The sphinx looks up and says, "I study, I remember, I twist. That is what riddles do. I have magic and I have knowledge, and ever do so enjoy using them to play with others."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Owain stops coughing for a few seconds to speak up again "I was born, and lived a short while, in human world but I was raised here. I work for the warden, jailing Fey that are dangerous or have broke the laws or traditions. I bind... things and my skill can vary from day to day."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like we have a pretty diverse group here, if maybe a lack of serious muscle. That's good, at least. Now we just need a plan." She chuckles at her not-joke, somehow managing to still be charming in the process.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Tulacea daintily picks up her wineglass, and pours a portion of its contents over her toes. "What's the Real World like, anyway? I've seen it lots of times, but that's not the same as being from a place. Usually."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Ráwen
    "The mortal mind is endlessly amusing. So short-lived, so lost, so desperate, so confused. And yet so ambitious, so often relentless - there is something to be said for the pressure that mortality exerts on a society. It makes them so... silly."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl's mandibles take on a somewhat odd shape, a smile?, at Mara's comment even as she lifts a goblet to cover it. Appearances are decieving after all... With goblet close to mouth Tahl's outer mandibles lightly grip the goblet's rim and the inner set cups to catch the trickling liquid. She sets the goblet down. "I think that plans cannot be made until we know exactly what we are to do, in good time..." Head tilted towards Mara, then she tilts it towards Tulacea. "It's difficult sometimes... I know that as much as any other from that realm. Most of us have limited time to live which does tend to drive one to do odd things, or devote oneself to something..." Eyes stare idly into the distance as a finger traces her bracers.

25. - Top - End - #25

Bluebell looks over the others, sipping her drink as they talk. "I've found the constant rush of the mortals to be quite refreshing at times, exhausting at others. But it is definitely very easy to get caught up in that sense of immediacy. On the other hand," the smile that has been on her face since she arrived fades a little, "if you get too close for too long, it can be very painful, too.

Grinning once more, she adds "Still worth it, though, I think. And our memories of those mortals who do pass on, grant them a measure of immortality, right?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"No disrespect miss Bell but that 'immediacy' you talk of makes us, rather, powerful. Look at what some of the emperors and kings have done in a short time? Also without this 'immediacy' the fey and this beautiful world would be taken over by the empire in decades." Owain says after taking a drink for his cup. He taps his glass three times on the table before downing the rest. "It would be nice to hear you sing of some mortals you have brought to the ranks of immortality, unless it would be to painful that is."
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2010-04-07 at 11:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Oh, I quite agree, that sense of immediacy is a great strength. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, and apologize if I did. Many mortals have done more in their short lifetime than I have done in mine! Well, perhaps not more, but more meaningful, is probably a better way to put it. Without the pressure of time, it is very easy to get caught up in something small, trivial even. I've done that myself more than once, most recently in spending many hands of turns trying to establish snoring as a viable form of music..." Her skin darkens slightly at that admission, which appears to be her version of blushing.

Clearing her throat, her skin returns to it's normal shade. "Alas, I have not yet composed a song for the one that introduced me to mortality, such a short time ago. I will one day, but even though her death was a number of years ago, the pain has only started to fade. Perhaps our work here, whatever it will be, will distract me enough that I can sing of her life properly..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Ráwen
    Ráwen yawned, though quietly and she ducked her face to hide it - she knew well enough that her disinterest in heartbreak would only insult her companions, and she had no desire to do that - it was just that, she could not for the life of her understand why some care so much about particular other people. Disappointment at the loss of a particularly helpful tool and/or amusing toy, she understood, but the acute pain was bewildering. Wasn't as if there weren't literally millions of potential replacement amusements...

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay Sphinxes are cold-hearted bitches.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Tulacea's eyes go wide with horror. "More rushed? Than here?" She empties her wineglass onto her foot at the thought.

"I remember one year, when the grass was growing too quickly. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I mean, I've gotten better, obviously," she adds, suddenly defensive.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Mara just stares at Tulacea for a second, and tries not to laugh. "Um, yes, well, you get used to it after a while. And 'mortals,' as you call them, might be silly, but we- they, I mean, aren't exactly unique in that regard. You wouldn't see most humans spending years doing nothing but obsessing over riddles, after all..."

By the end of her response, she sounds somewhat defensive as she stares down into her cup. Trailing off, she takes a long drink to cover herself.