New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Bluebell, Owain, Ráwen, and Tula
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ráwen
    "Alright, it's probably best for you to get out of there for now, get going towards freedom. We have a tunnel here that leads back to the forest."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Spoiler
    Show
    A heavy sigh comes from the wagon, and once again you hear the rattling of chains. "There is the small matter of being unable to move that makes that rather difficult." "A party of but six rescuers, split up in disarray, who almost alert the camp in their rescue attempt and forget about something so simple as bindings? Surely the Courts had slightly more concern for us that that?"

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    For several minutes, nothing of significance happens; the magus works, you sit there, the cat sits on you, time passes. Then the magus suddenly sits up straight in her chair and tilts her head, as if listening. A moment later, she counts something off on her fingers and speaks to the air: "No sign of intruders, stop, no sign of tunnel, stop, met refugees from Wyldfae, seem legitimate, probably running from same who captured him, end message."

She turns back to you when she finishes speaking, an amused expression on her face. "You wouldn't happen to have waylaid a halfling earlier this evening, would you?"
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-14 at 12:27 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mara puts on an innocently questioning face. "A halfling? Oh, that halfling. He should be with the others. He's probably still fine."
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-05-13 at 07:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, he's definitely fine; the soldiers sent out to find him or your Wyldfae did find him, asleep near a deep hole on the side of the road. I hope for your sake that that hole isn't how your friends got into camp, or they're in for an unwelcome surprise."

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mara gets very quiet for a moment, thinking about the earlier tremor and how very likely it was that they were indeed on the other side of that hole. But there was very little that she could do to warn them without revealing herself to the soldiers outside...

She sighs. "I hope so too, but they can take care of themselves. I think."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"Well lets see if we can get you out of those chains then"

(1d20+3)[14] Str Check
    (1d20+3)[6] Rock Str check aid another

If that fails weapon time, if there is room to use my scythe that is.

(2d4+5)[8]

~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [Keep in mind that the wagon is pitch-black, with only the tiniest bit of firelight coming through the hole in the floor. Since according to your sheets none of you have darkvision, you're going to need to get some light in there, unless you want to hack their wrists by accident off trying to remove the chains.]

You hear an indistinct whisper from the Lady, followed by a quiet chuckle from the Duke. "Not that your presence is not appreciated, but I feel that any fey from my Court could manage this more proficiently than you few seem to be."

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've been sitting in the forest alternately watching the hole, the Eagles' area, and the Lions' area when suddenly there is a burst of activity on the Lions' side of the camp. Quickly and quietly, soldiers clad in crimson-and-red battle dress are crawling out of the Lions' tents, arming themselves, and stalking over to the wagon the rest of the party is under. A few go around the other side of the wagons, a few through the cleared area between them, and a few pass close by you in the trees.

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magus turns back to her work once again...then glances out a window and throws her hands in the air. "For the love of--! We're mobilizing. Looks like they found your friends in camp after all, and the artillerists are coming here to get their sphereslingers. They have keys to the wagon, and if they barge in here they're going to kill you and court-martial me." Glancing rapidly between you and the window, her hand strays to her desk, hovering over the weapon lying there....

[Make a Diplomacy check.]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-14 at 12:28 AM.

Show

<Snip>

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+14)[23]

Mara curses in Sylvan, some oath that sounds like dead wood cracking. Quickly, she regains her composure. "Ma'am, you don't want to try that, trust me. Do they know that Owain and I are fey?"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    She hesitates, and withdraws her hand. "I...don't know. They might not, but I can't take that chance; if they know there are fey in the camp, they might know what they all look like if the halfling told them. Besides, you are the enemy--I should have tried to capture you as soon as I found out."

You can hear heavy boots starting up the steps to the wagon door. The magus quickly glances over at the door, and nods once, sharply. "A fey saved my husband's life once--I wouldn't do this otherwise," she whispers. She snaps her fingers, and suddenly her hair is mussed up and she has a large bruise on her forehead. She lays back on the desk as if unconscious, hissing "You can thank me later." just as a key turns in the lock.

The door opens, and two soldiers clad in gray and crimson step in, holding miniature versions of the weapon the magus was working on. "Julia? Fey in the camp, some human-looking; we'll need two more fire spheres and two--what in Hades!?" The soldiers stare at the scene in shock, before hefting their weapons. "One of them!"

[Roll initiative!]

Show

<Snip>

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (ooc ah pity I've only one use of faiere fire and all my other powers seem to require face to face contact, ah well time for surprise. Lets see how many I can get chasing me.)
    Tahl surveys the situation, curious about how only one company is actually investigating and looking like they don't want to be noticed by the other. So much for the peaceful approach... With a drop off the branch and a flutter of wings Tahl is among the group that passed under her, a whirlwind of lightning traced metal.
    -------------------
    Okay gonna tear into the group that just passed under me, I don't know how many passed under so I'll just roll the attacks in groups. I don't really want to kill but the first round of strikes will be lethals.
    attacks
    sword (1d20+8)[25]
    sword (1d20+3)[6]
    sword (1d20+8)[20]

sword (1d20+3)[16]
    sword (1d20+8)[12]
    sword (1d20+3)[20]

sword (1d20+8)[24]
    sword (1d20+3)[7]
    bite (1d20+4)[24]

damage
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]

[roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]

[roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+3+2d6[/roll]
    [roll]1d4+2+2d6[/roll]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    [There are 10 passing under you; you hit 5 with swords and 1 with your bite. The diceroller can only handle one dice expression at a time, so you'll need to redo those damage rolls.]

Show

<Snip>

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay not sure what happened... lets try those damage rolls again.
    damage
    (1d8+3)[11]
    (1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[7]
    (2d6)[6]
    (2d6)[11]
    (2d6)[9]

(1d8+3)[6]
    (1d8+3)[7]
    (1d8+3)[9]
    (2d6)[8]
    (2d6)[8]
    (2d6)[11]

(1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[11]
    (1d4+2)[4]
    (2d6)[11]
    (2d6)[8]
    (2d6)[3]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[13]

(And an OOC question: if I haven't made any hostile actions yet, am I considered to not be in combat with them for the purposes of determining things like if they get the bonus on their saves versus Charm Person?)
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-05-13 at 11:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    One moment, the soldiers are an orderly group, walking quickly in formation through the woods. In the next instant, six lie on the ground, slashed to death in a flashing of swords and mandibles.

The four remaining are surprised and almost cry out in fear, but they manage to quiet themselves and surround you in some semblance of a counterattack. Their spears are a bit unwieldy in these surroundings, but they can manage them well enough to hunker down behind their shields and point their spears in your direction.

[Roll initiative!]

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    The soldier in front reacts quickly, lifting his weapon to point at your head; you can see swirling flames in the tiny glass sphere at its tip. "Get down on the ground! Put your hands in the air!" he barks.

[You're not in combat until either your or your target takes an offensive action. One of them acted, now it's your turn, and the first one counts as acting offensively, so he'd get the bonus but the other wouldn't.]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-13 at 11:05 PM.

Show

<Snip>

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Gah I knew I should have done non-lethal attacks.
    init
    (1d20+5)[12]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    The soldiers surround you in a rough square, as best they can do in the circumstances. The two to your sides take a thrust at you with their spears; their faces are pale with abject fear, but their hands are steady.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks:
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d20+7)[16]

Damage:
    (1d8+3)[6]
    (1d8+3)[6]

One's spear clatters off your chitonous shell, but the other manages to jab you in a more vulnerable spot. The other two are still struggling to ready their spears.

[Your turn.]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-13 at 11:12 PM.

Show

<Snip>

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mara slowly, very slowly, starts raising her hands and kneeling down. As she does, though, she speaks - and her voice is oddly soothing, and seems to carry a great distance. "This is all just a big misunderstanding. Please, just relax and we can talk about this. Come inside, take a seat... and relax."

(Let's try Mara's Enthrall SLA. The DC is 19, but since they recognize her as fey (a race that they're unfriendly to), they get a +4 bonus on the will save.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    The second soldier unconsciously droops for a moment, but he quickly regains control of himself. His eyes narrow. "Don't you be trying anything funny, now; we're wise to your tricks."

The first soldier, however, loosens his grip on his weapon and lowers it. "Nah, it's not...it's not anything funny. I haven't relaxed in a while...I've been up all night waiting for this...." You can tell he isn't completely under your thrall, but he isn't looking particular hostile at the moment, either.
    Spoiler
    Show
    First soldier:(1d20+8)[16]
    Second soldier:(1d20+8)[19]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-13 at 11:29 PM.

Show

<Snip>

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tahl eyes the six that lay on the ground. "That wasn't suppose to happen..." She hisses as one of the spears creases her side. "Give up and put down your arms now, I didn't intend to kill those men but if I must kill I am not afraid to do so." As if to punctuate the words the flat of her blades and hilts flick out at the soldiers around her, lightning still trailing along.
    ---------------
    Okay doing what I should have done in the first place, nonlethal attacks, two to each soldier since I don't think I can do nonlethal with a bite... I think the lightning would be lethal damage though even if the blades arn't.
    attacks with nonlethal penalty
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20-1)[16]

(1d20+4)[8]
    (1d20-1)[10]

(1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20-1)[17]

(1d20+4)[18]
    (1d20-1)[15]

damage
    (1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[7]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d8+3)[6]
    (1d8+3)[9]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[4]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d8+3)[9]
    (1d8+3)[9]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "He's right, I'm not trying to be funny. You just look too tense, that's all. With the running, and the fighting... I think you'd feel a lot better if you sat down for a bit."

(Enthrall requires that I continue speaking to maintain it, but doesn't say anything about requiring concentration or have a duration of such. So since SLAs don't have verbal components, can Mara continue to use them while maintaining her Enthrall? If so, she's going to target the soldier who made his save with a DC 18 Charm Person.)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leaping over the shields of the two unprepared soldiers, you're easily able to knock them out with a quick slap to the head each with the flat of your blade; the other two are wary, however, and duck under your strike. Prepared for your attacks, they attempt to catch your blades between their shields and the hafts of your spears.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make two attack rolls (they're attempting a disarm).
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-13 at 11:40 PM.

Show

<Snip>

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Yes, you can use SLAs while enthralling]

"Come on," says the first soldier, "There's nothing to worry about."

"You fool! You know they can mess with your mind! Don't give in to it!" The second soldier is about to shake the first out of it, but a subtle change ripples over his features. "On second thought, she doesn't look like the type who'd try something nasty like that. I guess it doesn't matter if we don't attack right now; it's not like she's going anywhere."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+4)[7]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-13 at 11:46 PM.

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mara smiles, but it's charming, not smug or sinister. "Of course I wouldn't. And besides that, I can't hurt a fly. "

Idly, she starts humming a little tune, some catchy fairy melody. "Why don't we go get some fresh air while you're waiting to figure out what to do with me? It's so stuffy in here. I promise I won't try to run. I mean, do I look like I could fight my way out through an entire camp of big strong guards like you?"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[14]
    (1d20+8)[16]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I...guess so," the first guard mumbles, "But what should we do about Julia? She looks hurt!"

The magus gets up from the desk, doing a credible enough impression of someone regaining consciousness to fool someone in their state. "Don't worry about me, you two, I'll probably be fine. Thank you for rescuing me from this fey; I'm sure I can count on you as witnesses later. No need to interrupt the centurion, since we have this well in hand and don't want to disrupt their operations."

Sidling up to you, the magus whispers out of the corner of her mouth "Godsdamn it, girl, if I knew you were a magus too, I wouldn't have gone to that trouble!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Suddenly, you notice confusion among the Eagles around your wagon and a great deal of commotion. It isn't immediately clear what the cause of the disturbance is, but as shouts ring out, the Duke and the Lady both laugh cruelly.

"I have two riddles for you, you poor excuses for fey. What sits in a box of iron, serving as bait, having been promised power and prestige in the Empire and having decided the Courts are obsolete? and Who fell for the trap and are about to join the rest of the actual prisoners?"

"Indeed. We have been waiting quite some time for you to finally arrive. I almost reconsidered only leaving one of the other ambassadors alive when it took them all so long to send a rescue party." The inside of the wagon blazes with bright green light, to reveal the two fey sitting comfortably on cushions at the end of the wagon, the only chain in sight a few iron links at their feet to be rattled dramatically. The Duke extends a hand toward Owain, and a cold mist begins to form over his skin.

[Owain, make a Fort save.]

Both fey laugh once more as twenty crimson- and gray-clad Lions in full battle dress rush to surround the wagon. "And now that the trap is sprung, I believe your time is up."
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-14 at 12:28 AM.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Tahl
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of your swords gets stuck in the legionnaire's shield, but you manage to retain the other. Letting out a triumphant "Hah!" the soldier who disarmed you strikes at you once more; his partner moves to the side to flank you and does the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:
    (1d20+9)[22]
    (1d20+9)[27]

Damage:
    (1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[11]

Show

<Snip>

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mara gives the magus a sheepish shrug. "Would have told you if I had the time. Thanks anyway, though."

Turning her radiant smile back to the guards, she motions them to follow her outside, and starts whistling the tune that she was humming before. She doesn't say anything, but she doesn't need to; anyone close enough to hear her is struck by the same captivating power of her voice. Perhaps her comrades would hear it too...
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-05-14 at 12:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    The two captivated soldiers follow you with their eyes as you pass them, and follow you physically as you pass through the door and go down the steps. The magus closes the door behind you, making an "I never saw this" gesture as she does so.

Exiting the wagon, you find yourself once more in the midst of the Iron Lions tents, but things have changed. Everything is in disarray, as if many people had exited the tents and run through them in a rush; Owain is nowhere to be seen. You see firelight glinting off something in the trees--several moving somethings, it appears, though you can't make out exactly what they are. Near the trees, you can see about two dozen humanoid figures surrounding one of the other steam wagons, all dressed in crimson and gray and pointing their weapons at it, while blue-clad figures mill about in confusion.

Show

<Snip>

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Though her gut clenches with anxiety, Mara doesn't let it show as she calmly heads for the cart, keeping her melody up. Hopefully her comrades were at least in the process of rescuing the fae, if they had in fact tunneled their way into the camp already. When she gets close enough, she makes a show of peering curiously at the wagon. "What are you looking at?"

(As soon as Mara gets within 160 feet of anyone, they need to make a save against her Enthrall spell. Still DC 19, but presumably they don't recognize her as fae right off the bat since she's no longer in an incriminating situation.)
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-05-14 at 01:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Mara
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you approach, the nearby soldiers turn to look at you. Of the five Eagles that can hear you, all orcs or half-orcs, only one turns away, his brow furrowed; the other four stare at you, slack jawed, waving in time with your tune. Half of the Lions fall under your spell, though they retain enough of their faculties to simply look curiously in your direction. One of the Lions that did not fall under your sway, however, does more than simply turn away: he must be their centurion, as his uniform is much nicer than the rest and he has been issuing orders the whole time.

Seeing the two Lions following you, he snaps "Cato! Gaius! What in the hells do you think you're doing!? You were supposed to re-stock and get over here five minutes ago!" When he registers your tune and the reaction of the troops, his eyes widen in realization. "That's one of them! Cover your ears, men! Arbalestiers, take it down; don't let it get away--but don't hit ours!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Soaring Eagles in range:
    (1d20+2)[19]
    (1d20+2)[9]
    (1d20+2)[3]
    (1d20+2)[14]
    (1d20+2)[11]

Iron Lions in range:
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (1d20+9)[11]
    (1d20+9)[28]
    (1d20+9)[27]
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (1d20+9)[13]
    (1d20+9)[12]
    (1d20+9)[11]
    (1d20+9)[19]
    (1d20+9)[19]
    (1d20+9)[20]
    (1d20+16)[24]

Spoiler
    Show
    As the Iron Lions legionnaires finish forming up around the wagon, you hear a familiar voice ask "What are you looking at?"

Mara has come up behind some of the soldiers from the direction of the Lions' camp, and is whistling an airy tune; two glassy-eyed Lions are following her. Several of the soldiers of both companies turn toward her, the Eagles staring slack-jawed, the Lions looking on indifferently. After a moment, one of the Lions steps into closer view, and from his attitude and uniform it appears he is their centurion.

He snaps "Cato! Gaius! What in the hells do you think you're doing!? You were supposed to re-stock and get over here five minutes ago!" at the two following Mara, then a moment later turns and shouts at his troops: "That's one of them! Cover your ears, men! Arbalestiers, take it down; don't let it get away--but don't hit ours!"
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-05-14 at 02:03 AM.

Show

<Snip>