New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Immediacy... well they don't know how right they are... She thought thinking of her own circumstances. "Well one must understand, and maybe even do likewise, the nuisances of potential enemies. I do not wish for war to start but I can't help but fear that it will come, at least in small scale. Aside from that people are often surprised at how much in common they have with others."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Default Re: Magic and Myth, Steam and Steel (or, "The Adventures of the Fey-Team") IC

Ráwen
    "Oh, but they do spend years obsessing over riddles. Riddles are very mannish. 'Why am I here?' 'What do I need to do?' 'How can I get food?' 'How can I crush my enemies, have them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women?' More's the pity that they aren't any good at riddles..."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"Surprise heavy cavalry charge," Tulacea notes, with exactly the same tone that she answered the other riddle, and without a hint of irony.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Ráwen
    "That's the problem with a lot of mankind's riddles: they don't have single answers. Yes, I think a cavalry charge would be effective in that last one. I don't think it would be the only answer, and I'm quite sure it would not satisfy the one asking the question.

"Mankind has questions, and they care about the answers. Largely because they are going to die. This makes them most amusing. They want to know so much, but they have so little time, so they run about, seeking answers where none can be found.

"Of course, that's also why we're in this position. They've been getting better at asking the right questions, and getting the answers, too, haven't they? 'What is fire, and how can I use it?' 'What is the lightning, and how can I use that?' It does make them somewhat less amusing, to be honest."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alright, fine, so they do care about riddles. But as a means to an end, not just for their own sake. Even questions like 'why am I here' have a practical purpose, since it would give them some idea of what to actually do if they could figure it out. When they make art, it's because they want to express something or make a part of themselves immortal. When they study science, it's usually because they want to better themselves or humanity in general. They work against each other, yeah, and they tear themselves down almost as much as they build themselves up, but they actually accomplish things, because they're not afraid to be part of something bigger than themselves and they have actual goals beyond staving off boredom for another thousand years."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Ráwen
    "Oh but riddles are an end in and of themselves. Riddles are word and word is magic. Riddles twist words, force the mind to jump through hoops - and strengthen the mind that can. Asking and answering riddles is almost besides the point - it's learning riddles that is important. Learn the riddles, learn reality.

"Yes, mankind does this, to an extent. But they do so blindly and half-heartedly, because they are so short-lived and have so many distractions."
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-04-08 at 10:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Look, it was very distracting grass," pouts Tulacea, who seems to have taken this turn of the conversation rather personally. "I was thinking about something very important and it just, it just kept-" she frowns in frustration, and gestures with her hands, wiggling her fingers while gradually raising her arms.

It does look rather distracting.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2010-04-08 at 10:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Mara looks like she'd like to keep arguing with the sphinx, but refrains from doing so, taking a slow breath and flicking the hair out of her eyes. "Well, to each his own. Their tactics seem to be working pretty well for them so far, at least. And in all honesty, I'll be glad to get back there for a while. And I doubt it'll make you feel any better, Tulacea, but there's not much grass in most human cities..."
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-04-08 at 11:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bluebell laughs softly at Tulacea's comment. "Nasty grass. I prefer flowers myself. Slower growing, and only really distracting at the end. Much more colourful, too!"

Turning her attention to the discussion of riddles and mortals, she shrugs. "I think the problem with humans much of the time is, they just don't get enough sleep. They let riddles keep them up at night, wake up grumpy, and then kill each other over the things they dreamed up while they thought they were awake. So, clearly, the answer to all their riddles is, sleep more. Well, except food, unless you have some nice friendly Petals to get you some while you sleep." She frowns slightly. "Though, they usually won't, since they prefer to just put people to sleep, strip them naked, and flutter off to the next person..." With that last bit, she rolls her eyes.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl chuckles as the conversation continues on. "All one must do is be in tune with the rhythm of the land, of the grass and other plants, and it ceases to be such a distraction. It makes finding intruders all the easier as they tend to break the rhythm."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"Can you do that?" Tula asks Tahl, intruiged by the possibilities. "I usually just try to remember when people are going to show up. Of course, that doesn't always work around the Courts, let alone in the Real World..." She shrugs, wiggling her toes in the puddle of wine that's formed under her chair.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl shrugs. "I'm certainly not a master at it but haven't you ever been somewhere and some sound or other thats out of the ordinary occurs that catches your immediate attention because its not normal for where you are? Its like that in a way..."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Just as Tahl mentions unusual sounds, the whimsical music surrounding all of you reaches a pause in the melody, and three sonorous chimes ring out from unseen bells, clearly indicating that the meal is halfway through yet harmonizing with the music and each other. Over the course of the next bell, you are able to continue your conversation, with each other and with a few curious fey from nearby tables who wish to make your acquaintances. New courses are served, different music is played, the lighting slowly wanes from midafternoon sun to twilight glow, and the celebration otherwise moves apace.

A full bell passes in what seems like minutes, and soon enough a second chiming of the bells signal that your respective audiences with the Regent are to begin and you are to be given your first task. In the midst of much excited murmuring, the Regent appears once again at the top of the stairs--not appearing out of thin air, as she left you last time, but simply floating gracefully through a set of double doors. I hope you have all eaten and spoken your fill, and have begun to know your companions. At this point I formally welcome you all to the society--nay, family--of the nobility of Faerie and its devoted servants. Please, join me.

At that, the Regent begins to float down the stairs...and splits into four Regents, each of her drifting towards a different table, each of her slightly more ephemeral than usual. The Regent approaching you six smiles warmly and beckons you to follow: Come; we shall speak in privacy and comfort. She leads you to a well-appointed room full of opulent cushions, gossamer drapes, and other finery, all in golden orange and cloudy blue, and motions for you to sit.

I noted earlier that some of you are new to our lands, or at least are more familiar with the Realm of Mortals than the Realms of Faerie, she says, and so much of this must be somewhat overwhelming. As well, I would not wish to send the Faerie natives among you out into the mortal realms without sufficient preparations. She leans forward in her chair and clasps her misty hands before her. Thus, before I pronounce your task, I would welcome any questions you may have about our lands or our peoples, or of those lands and peoples beyond our borders.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Ráwen
    Ráwen smirks. She can't help herself: "What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three in the evening, and is stronger the fewer legs it uses?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't be a Sphinx and not use that one. Seems especially fitting here. Plus, I do have a follow-up that's less cliche.

No idea if this riddle is at all famous in this game world, as it is in real life. Nor do I know if the Regent would know it even if it were obscure, or is simply clever enough to figure it out herself. Or hell, she could have Detect Magic up. But Ráwen will be paying very close attention to try and see how, if at all, the Regent answers the riddle.
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-04-09 at 08:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

The Regent also smiles. Ah, sphinxes and their riddles. I do appreciate them. Well, she says mock-thoughtfully, as her insubstantial body gradually shifts to a more quadrupedal shape resembling a centaur, though they might not strictly involve the time of day--her shape becomes that of a nymph-like biped--I can certainly think of several answers to that riddle--then becomes a more amorphous, three-legged cloudy mass--though I'm sure none of them would be what you are looking for.

She returns to her natural state and smiles once again. I believe the accepted answer is any variety of humanoid mortal. I appreciate your attempt to bring levity to the conversation, as it has been several years since I have been able to indulge myself with mirth and whimsy in the company of others. However, the regent states solemnly, now is the time for serious concerns, so I would appreciate greatly your saving your riddles until your companions have learned what they wish to know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Given that humans obviously aren't the only race in this world by any means, that riddle isn't particularly common relative to any other. The Regent is a spellcaster and a ruler, so she's fairly clever and personable; she could easily figure it out without any need for detect magic, though having her dominion in the part of Faerie that sphinxes hail from probably makes her better with riddles than most other nobles you'd meet.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-04-09 at 08:55 PM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Ráwen
    "With all due respect, no sphinx ever takes a riddle anything less than seriously. More importantly, mine was brought up for a specific reason: yes, the accepted answer is the mortal, and the accepted form is as I said it. But despite the riddle, that they are strongest with the fewest legs is not entirely true, and this is what I sought to illustrate.

"There is something to be said for aging; the cane-walking old man will soon die, but his age bears with it experience and wisdom, and though I am young for a sphinx and older than the oldest man has ever been, his wisdom might surpass mine in some ways. And, with the appropriate deference, possibly yours, as well. To age is to grow, that I have seen. We can learn new things but we do not change. It is what we are, we are timeless, we are continual. They do change, they are temporary, mortal. They change and they change quickly.

"Tula described being distracted by the way the grass grew for a century. I myself have spent decades on pondering various riddles. In the meantime, mankind has... grown. Aged. Died, but also been reborn, over and over, continuously.

"Thus, that is my contribution to this discussion, for the sake of those who have spent little time among the mortals - they will surprise you. Even those you have known will change, and to leave and return years later is to find someone new in the place of the one once known. And especially recently, the mortals have been using this fact very much to their advantage."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The Regent nods thoughtfully; it is apparent she hadn't expected that degree of depth from Ráwen's riddle.

I am suprised, friend sphinx--Ráwen, yes? I am surprised at the wisdom you show. The Regent looks off into the distance, seeing past the tapestries on the wall to older days. I have not had the opportunity to converse with many sphinxes in my centuries upon this earth, and those that I had met were wont to speak of serious matters in times of leisure and trivialities in times of import.

With a sweeping gesture, she indicates all of you. Your talk of mortals surprising us is most definitely truth. With a wry grin and a shake of her head, she continues: A brother of mine, in the Court of Spring, holds dominion over the sprites and brownies and others of their ilk; at one point they proposed to him that a mortal placing a "lucky" horseshoe over his door be grounds for the brownies to leave his home...by the time he had come to his final decision, the Empire had conquered Iberia and invented their steam-driven devices!

Once again serious, she meets each of your gazes in turn. And that is the main reason why you were chosen. Yes, I heard speculation in the hall concerning why certain fey were called here, and the reason is simple: you are either mortals or familiar with them. The older fey are bound by many things...bound by tradition and a mindset which is too deliberative to handle all but the longest-lived mortals, bound by ancient magics which connect us to the Realms, bound by strictures which the mortals find completely alien and which thus cause them to react in ways even more inconceivable to us.

The Regent sighs deeply. Yes, that is why you are here, truly. If it were but your magic and strength that was desired, centaurs and dryads by the dozen could throw themselves against the enemy until victory was achieved; it is your knowledge, your perspective, your...mortal-ness, for lack of a better term, which holds the key to our success.

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

A Fae Lady who can split herself into four people and turn into a centaur but yet criticize herself for not changing quickly enough has just complimented the team for their close understanding of the mortal world.

Tulacea looks down, and notices that she's tracked in wine-footprints on the Regent's carpet.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl cocked her head but slowly nods regardless. "You seek fey or those who otherwise lie on the fey's side, who are unbound by magic or rules to act, that also understand other mortals." She shrugs, the crystalline wrap seeming like a glittering, dancing sea. "I know few mortals besides the elves that I grew up with yet if anything I've the most common with them appearance aside."
    Last edited by userpay; 2010-04-10 at 09:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Having no specific questions about either world, Bluebell remains silent, waiting to hear about the mission they are about to be sent on.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"For give me, and please don't tell my master I forgot, but how many nobles are there? How many are for this group and how many might try and stop it? Are we to kill or talk to our aggressors? And last are the courts outside of the empires sight going to help us if needed?" Owain says rather fast and holds his breath in wait. He knows one last cough is coming and he tries to hold it back.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The Regent laughs softly at Owain's apparent discomfort, her laugh resembling the gentle tinkling of wind chimes. No need to be ashamed of forgetting anything, or about your master being told; better to be prepared and live than be arrogant and die. She moves to a writing desk off to the side, and from one of its drawers pulls a scroll case. As for the number and stances of the nobles, well....

She unrolls the scroll in front of you, revealing it to be about eight feet in length and a quarter that in width. Written in a neat, tiny hand are hundreds of names; each name is circled in one of several colors, and lines of different patterns and hues connect them all. As you can see, we favor a more diverse rulership over a pure monarchy, though of course the Kings and Queens might not see it that way. Our nobles hold dominion over various aspects of the world, through the power invested in us by the land, as well as dominion over various regions of Faerie. Being a Regent, I hold considerable political power; being a noble of Winds, I hold middling personal power. The Regent indicates several names connected to hers via dashed lines. These nobles serve under me, and so have titles of Duke and Earl and so forth, regardless of their strength. The more broad a noble's power, the more expansive their domain, so for instance my vassal Skiron, Lord of the Northwest Wind has slightly lesser powers than I, while Autumn's Baron of Storms outmatches me.

A wry laugh escapes the Regent's mouth. In short, if you come across a Regent of Flowers and a Squire of Seas whom you believe to hostile, always bow to the former and never take your eyes off the latter. Replacing the scroll in her desk, she continues: Speaking of hostile nobles, you most likely shall not meet any who are openly hostile, in this or other Courts, though several opposed this initiative and might be most excessively polite to you were you to meet them in person. Also, much as it pains me to say it, there are some who have turned their back on Faerie to cooperate with the mortals, believing that we are inevitably to lose against them. Obviously I could not tell who they might be, but if you find any...well. She shrugs elaborately. The mortals, in their infinite wisdom, invented the concept of "innocent until proven otherwise" before they fey did, and the Courts never did like being seen to copy anyone.

As for the mortals, be fair; we have no grievances against mortals as a whole, and aid even those in the Empire still, despite their government's lack of respect for us. However, should a soldier come at you bearing hostility, show no quarter. In such circumstances, you can expect aid from any nearby fey, though the more remote your location the less likely the Courts will be proactive in aiding you.

Having answered Owain, the Regent turns to Tahl. Even limited experience with mortals is more than most fey can claim; I have known a family of fauns who for more than eight generations have not laid eyes upon a mortal of any race. And while there are many nobles who live and breathe the mortal world, interacting with mortals as often as with fey, they are bound as much as I, from simply being restricted in their speech to being physically bound to this land. It is the combination of the two that we seek, so even if you view your mortal knowledge to be inconsequential, it is definitely of value.

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"What should we do if we find a noble or highly powerful fey we believe to work for the Empire?" Owain asked with intense focus. His job revolved around jailing 'bad' fey and knowing that some were betraying them for the empire burned his blood.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl listens to the explanation and nods. To the regents response to her she shrugs. "I won't pretend that I am good with convincing people, well at least not without the potential for violence. Not many mortals take well to my appearance though if worse comes to worse I am confident in my, and everyone here, abilities. I just hope that such does not come to pass without due need." Her head tilts to the side as she is curious about the answer to Owain's question.
    Last edited by userpay; 2010-04-10 at 11:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

As you have most likely guessed, the Regent says to Owain, we do not take lightly any fey who turns her back on Faerie, much less a noble whom we hold to a much higher standard. As I said, we do not have any "courts of law" such as one might find in mortal lands within the Courts; our sense of justice tends to the poetic over the legal sense of the term.

But, Owain, your calling exists for a reason, and we would not train Wardens if we simply wished to kill traitors on sight. Though they are not brought back to "stand trial" or something similarly asinine, we do wish for them to be brought back to us in order to be punished. Thus, if you encounter any traitors, I would appreciate it greatly if they could be taken alive. If not...well, if not, I will understand.

Once again she turns to Tahl. We do not need you to persuade mortals of anything, simply out-think them. I perfectly understand being misunderstood by mortals based on one's form, and would not subject any of you to that unnecessarily.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Tulacea's hair and bark rustle as she visibly relaxes some of the tension she's been holding in since coming face-to-face with the Regent. It sounds not unlike a sigh of relief. By that standard, she has plenty of experience dealing with mortals- A handful of them come to the Grove of the Loreleaves every now and again, to ask questions of the Oracle- and you can tell a lot about a person by the kind of questions they ask.

"So, asymetric sabotage campaign targeting military infrastructure across the breadth of the Empire... how are we getting around between jobs?"

Her eyes light up. "Are we flying? I've really never flown before and even though people do it all the time it just seems like it would be scary but if you need us to then obviously it would be... um."
    Last edited by Fishy; 2010-04-11 at 10:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that describes your goal adequately, though you might also be asked to directly assault a position or remove a particular individual as well. The Regent waves a hand, and in the air between you appear glowing images of several flying creatures. If a mission necessitates that you fly, we possess a stable of pegasi for individual travel, as well as rocs for carrying equipment or prisoners. Other mounts can of course be arranged if you are more familiar with them, though they may have to be obtained from other Courts.

The Regent waves away the images and replaces them with an image of a satyr dressed in emerald robes. Should we know the approximate location of an objective, you might also be teleported to its vicinity. As most of those fey capable of frequent teleportation are somewhat restricted in their movements, nobles retain the services of fey mages to transport desired possessions or beings; this is Menelaos, the mage who performs that service for my court, and whom you may be working with should such be required.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-04-11 at 01:29 PM.

Show

<Snip>

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Mara finally speaks up. "What exactly are we hoping to accomplish, in the end? Completely throwing the Empire into chaos, or just giving them a reason to remember us?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The Regent raises her eyes to the ceiling and laughs. Ask four different fey, and you will receive nine different answers. Some simply wish the Empire to leave us alone; some wish to see their forces removed from the mortal countries in which we make our homes; some wish to see the Empire quake in terror at the merest mention of the Fair Folk, as their kind once did; some wish to see their capital laid waste and every trace of their artifice put to flame. In general, Spring seeks solitude, Summer seeks separation, Autumn seeks terror, and Winter seeks annihilation, though there is by no means a perfect consensus.

She sighs dramatically. As for what you are hoping to accomplish, well, your goals align with mine: I personally believe that the Empire is free to do whatever it wishes politically--I would never wish to curtail their desires in that direction--but that its method of doing so is troubling. This new fixation on "technological progress" has only been witnessed in the past two centuries and already they forget their former respect for the forests and skies as they seek to build ever larger machines more and more hungry for wood. Today they rely on steel steam-belching monstrosities only in their cities, being forced to use enchanted items for anything smaller than a building, but I fear that someday soon that may change.

The Regents eyes become suddenly hard and furious. And on the subject of the Empire's methods, that brings us to your task, assuming you have no more questions.

Show

<Snip>

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Tahl shakes her head, she doesn't have anything else to add.