New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Crucial Moment [3.5 feat, PEACH]

Crucial Moment [Fighter]
    You have learned to notice those moments in a fight when a single action can swing the battle one way or the other.
    Benefits: Once per round, you may declare a single d20 roll that you are about to make against an enemy (see below) to be a 'crucial moment.' If you overcome the enemy, then you gain a +1 stacking circumstance bonus to all d20 rolls against that opponent for the next minute. If you do not, you lose any bonus that you have gained from using this feat against all opponents.
    Special: A roll is defined to be against an opponent if it is a saving throw caused by an ability of that opponent, an attack roll to hit that opponent, an opposed skill check being opposed by that opponent or rolling initiative to enter combat with that enemy. Further rolls may, at the DM's option, be included in this list. 'Overcoming' an enemy on such a roll is either succeeding on the roll (in the case of an attack roll or a saving throw) or scoring higher than your opponent (as when rolling initiative or making an opposed skill check).
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2010-05-01 at 02:52 PM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crucial Moment [3.5 feat, PEACH]

What happens if you roll a natural 1 but would normally succeed on the roll? Failure?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    What happens if you roll a natural 1 but would normally succeed on the roll? Failure?
    If it's a saving throw or attack roll, failure. Otherwise, you don't auto-fail anyway, so it doesn't matter.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't worth a feat slot to me. It's kind of a small bonus, doesn't scale with level, and I might get a penalty instead. If I was reasonably sure I could get the bonus then I don't really need it anyway. And it's once per day? I would not take this feat.

I could see maybe if you built for initiative and declared this on a slow looking opponent who you thought you could out-initiate, but even then it's a situational +3 once per day.

It might be more useful to be able to declare the roll you are making to be a crucial moment and get a bonus on it that scales with level (or BAB, or skill ranks, or whatever floats your boat).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Honestly, +3 to d20 rolls 1/day isn't all that powerful. Might as well get rid of the requirement that you 'overcome your opponent.' Either that, or just make it an opposed d20 roll. Seems more straightforward, with less room for abuse or required DM discretion.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I've edited the feat a bit to reflect that. What do you think now?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

... did it just get worse?

What do you mean by +1 stacking? You mean its typeless, and thus will stack with anything?

Because it looks the same now, but with a smaller bonus.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    ... did it just get worse?

What do you mean by +1 stacking? You mean its typeless, and thus will stack with anything?

Because it looks the same now, but with a smaller bonus.
    It's now 1/round, and stacks with itself.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It's still pretty weak for 3.5.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    It's still pretty weak for 3.5.
    The bonus lasts a minute and the bonus stacks with others. That means you can get it up to a pretty nice bonus by the end of that minute. At first, it doesn't do much, but since you can declare a crucial moment every round, it's not so bad anymore.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The bonus lasts a minute and the bonus stacks with others. That means you can get it up to a pretty nice bonus by the end of that minute. At first, it doesn't do much, but since you can declare a crucial moment every round, it's not so bad anymore.
    True, unless, you fail to overcome that enemy in which case you lose the entire bonus. Overcoming an enemy has not been defined clearly yet, but my context tells me that you have to go "against an opponent" and win, which can be tricky to do 3 or more times in a row.

If that is the case, then the question isn't "how high can I get the bonus?"*, the question is "how high do I want to get this bonus before I am satisfied?"

*most DnD battles I've been in usually have a clear winner by turn 3 or 4, so I would not count on having this bonus be ridiculously high anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I like this, at least in theory. It promotes tactical thinking.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    True, unless, you fail to overcome that enemy in which case you lose the entire bonus. Overcoming an enemy has not been defined clearly yet, but my context tells me that you have to go "against an opponent" and win, which can be tricky to do 3 or more times in a row.

If that is the case, then the question isn't "how high can I get the bonus?"*, the question is "how high do I want to get this bonus before I am satisfied?"

*most DnD battles I've been in usually have a clear winner by turn 3 or 4, so I would not count on having this bonus be ridiculously high anyway.
    Succeeding on the d20 roll is overcoming the opponent. It was in the previous incarnation, I'm pretty sure...where'd it go?

Anyway, true, you can lose it. It's not quite Knowledge Devotion, but it doesn't require Knowledge skills at least.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Succeeding on the d20 roll is overcoming the opponent. It was in the previous incarnation, I'm pretty sure...where'd it go?
    What do you mean, where did it go? It's been here the whole time! Honest!