New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question Help with Iaijutsu Focus Optimization

So I'm making a LE Human Warblade/Wizard gestalt character who is PrC in Iaijutsu Master/Swiftblade (respectively). My two main weapons are Katanas, a primary and a backup, with wand cambers in them. I was thinking about having the wands with either Distract Assailant or Insightful Feint (both are in the Comp Adventurer). Both would allow me to flat-footed my target and allow my Iaijutsu strike, but which is better? Distract Assailant allows a WIL save and Insightful Feint requires Improved Feint feat to use feint as part of a move action.

My question is which one you guys would recommend? Or are there other spells that are swift action cast spells that I could use instead to flat-footed my opponent?

Also, with Swiftblades ability to cast Haste as a swift action naturally, would putting it in a wand still allow me to cast it like that?
    "Its like a one-eyed cyclops!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help with Iaijutsu Focus Optimization

If you have the spare 2 feats for CE/Improved Feint, then Insightful Feint is the better of the two spells, and you're only 1 more feat away from Improved Trip after that. The wizard variant from Unearthed Arcana that trades out scribe scroll and metamagic feats for combat bonus feats is terrific for this kind of gish, by the way. If you don't have the spare feats, then I'd just go with Distract Assailant and hope for the best.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade (1st level warblade maneuver) can also flat-foot opponents, by the way. So can Grease or any other spell/effect that makes opponents have to balance if they don't have 5 ranks in balance.

And no, I don't think Haste would be swift cast from a wand even though you can normally cast it as auto-quickened. Check with your DM for his ruling though.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Using a spell from a wand isn't casting the spell, it's using a spell-trigger item, so no deal on the auto-quicken.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yea thats one of the reasons I went with Warblade. I can pick up Imp Feint with flaws or at lvl 3 I think.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Both of those spells are pretty horrible.. Distract Assailant from a wand will have an insignificant DC, such that you probably have much better things to do with your Swift actions (since you're a Warblade/Wizard, this is almost guaranteed.) Insightful Feint requires you to feint, which burns your move action, and casting it requires your Swift; again, you're probably going to do better damage with a Boost + Full Attack (although if you don't need the spell to successfully Feint something you could use a Swift->Move ability like Hustle or a Belt of Battle to Feint + Full Attack, which would effectively transform your Swift action into a Boost that granted your Iajutsu damage.)

Edit: Although an Iajutsu Strike of Perfect Clarity would be the ultimate samurai-movie one-cut kill.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2010-04-01 at 12:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon87 View Post
    Using a spell from a wand isn't casting the spell, it's using a spell-trigger item, so no deal on the auto-quicken.
    Darn... Maybe my DM will be nice to me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

There is swift haste spell with a duration of 1d4 rounds. It's not on the wizard list, however, so you'd have to UMD it.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Swift Haste is a Ranger 2 spell and its only one round...