New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Names for Tomes of Knowledge?

From what I've gathered, a book on an appropriate subject is generally accepted as a masterwork tool (+2 circumstance bonus, 50gp). I have an Illumian Archivist/ Mystic Theurge statted and he already gets [8+ranks] to any Knowledge check (from a high Int, the Naen sigil, and the Absent-Minded trait), but for flavor reasons I want him to tote around a miniature library of various tomes.

The point I'm trying to get to is I was hoping for some creative/amusing names for the various books, one for each Knowledge skill. I'll fill them in here as they come.
    • Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts):
    • Architecture & Engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications):
    • Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking):
    • Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people):
    • History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities):
    • Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids):
    • Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin):
    • Nobility & Royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities):
    • Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead):
    • The Planes (the Inner, Outer, and Transitive planes, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes):

I know playgrounders to be a humorous and creative bunch. Don't disappoint!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [3.5] Names for Tomes of Knowledge?

WARNING: Really bad puns ahead. Cringe Level: Over 9000!

Arcana: Opus Pocus, Spelling Book, Mage's Pages, Hexed Text, The Daily Telepath
    Architecture & Engineering: The Architext, Forts Illustrated
    Dungeoneering: The Manual Manual, Lair Lexicon, Cave Reviews, Trolling Stone
    Geography: The Handy Landy Handbook, The Worldwide Guide, Ports Illustrated
    History: Tome of Times, An Age Turner
    Local: A Tome and a Place, The Indigenous Index
    Nature: Foliage Folio, Encyclopedia Botanica/Animalia, Creatures Features
    Nobility & Royalty: Reading Between the Bloodlines, Esquire, Empire Magazine (could work for History/Geography/Local as well), Courts Illustrated
    Religion: Prayboy/Praygirl Magazine.
    The Planes: Cosmospolitan

There're a mix of sayings, puns and plain alliteration in there. I love making puns so this was really fun for me :D.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Generic name: Ye Olde X Almanach
    Geography and/or local: Hitchhikers Guide to your world here
    Dungeoneering: Kobold Quarterly
    Religion: Everything you wanted to know about gods, but were afraid to ask (subtitle written by hand: and rightfully so). (the tome bears sings of multiple burning attempts; some pages were torn and carefuly stiched back together; some are visibly taken from different books; the cover has no title on it at all and was probably added later on)
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonbeliever93 View Post
    WARNING: Really bad puns ahead. Cringe Level: Over 9000!

Arcana: Opus Pocus, Spelling Book, Mage's Pages, Hexed Text, The Daily Telepath
    Architecture & Engineering: The Architext, Forts Illustrated
    Dungeoneering: The Manual Manual, Lair Lexicon, Cave Reviews, Trolling Stone
    Geography: The Handy Landy Handbook, The Worldwide Guide, Ports Illustrated
    History: Tome of Times, An Age Turner
    Local: A Tome and a Place, The Indigenous Index
    Nature: Foliage Folio, Encyclopedia Botanica/Animalia, Creatures Features
    Nobility & Royalty: Reading Between the Bloodlines, Esquire, Empire Magazine (could work for History/Geography/Local as well), Courts Illustrated
    Religion: Prayboy/Praygirl Magazine.
    The Planes: Cosmospolitan

There're a mix of sayings, puns and plain alliteration in there. I love making puns so this was really fun for me :D.
    OOh me likes. I'm usually really pun-happy, can't stop making them - the lamer the better. Also "thats what she said" etc. :D. Enjoyed your work thoroughly.