New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

Did I suddenly sprout a double that can send anonymous e-mails on its own? I'm wondering some of the same things...
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: It's not like it'd be that uncommon of a concern.

Though I usually assume anyone who figures such things out about themselves wouldn't wanna risk the trouble of not having gotten this down comfortably before making the permanent switch in lives.

Anon: While I can't speak to job interviews, or the world of business formal and business casual, the main thing is to know how revealing/saucy one can be in the environment one is heading to.

For example, skirts shorter than the mid of thigh are probably not a good idea for day to day wear. Though this is more of a male bias against non-functional clothing on my part as well as skirting the issue of... people's reactions.

Most important thing is to wear clothes that fit, of course...

So, let's see... of these areas of concern, which ones do you feel you have down pat, and which ones do you feel are most in need of addressing?

Shoes, the rules and laws about their matching with outfits.

Eveningwear as opposed to Formalwear.

Where general wear ends and clubbing attire begins.

Dressing to your body type/build.

Dressing to your color chart (see also, Summers, Winters, Autumns, Springs).

Wearing the clothes in day to day life, or basically how to think while in women's clothing about the maintenance and protection of it.

Businesswear.

Getting bras to not show up awkwardly either through exterior clothing or in terms of bunching.

My girlfriend gave me a look and passed out, so I can't be sure of how many critical things I've overlooked.

And it's a real big unknown as to how many overlookable things I've left out.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-04-13 at 02:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hokay, Anon:

I'll do my best. I'm not very good with fashion and whatnot, and everything depends on your body type.

First off, jeans and a t-shirt work for almost every casual, day-to-day situation. Get a couple of pairs of jeans that fit you well and show off your figure, and find some nice tops. Everything matches with jeans, so there are no problems there. You can wear flats, sneakers, or even thongs with jeans

If you're getting a little bit dressier, I use two options, depending on my mood. Black pants and a nice top always goes down well for restaurants and the like. Otherwise, something like a Little Black Dress works well too. Wear boots or heels with the pants, and flats or heels with the dress. Some people can get away with boots and dresses/skirts, but it's a personal peeve of mine.

Altogether, dress for your body type, and don't buy clothes that don't fit you. Even if they're fashionable. Ask yourself 'What does this do for my body shape?' If your answer is 'It makes me look damn sexy/cute/well rounded/attractive/etc.', then go for it. If your answer is 'Well...it just looks like a piece of clothing, I guess. It covers what it's meant to...just.' then find something else.

Once again, don't mind me if I'm telling you things you already know.

This page gives a good indication of what dress types suit certain body types. And this page gives some tips on creating shape, if you don't have any.

As far as appropriateness goes:
    Skirts/dresses: Lengthwise, if you are walking up stairs and the person behind you can see your underwear, it's not appropriate for day-to-day wear. Beware of skirts and dresses that will blow around in the wind, because they'll fly up at the most inconvenient times (I was on top of a lighthouse amongst a crowd of 12 year old boys ). Make sure that you are feeling comfortable with what you wear, because if you don't, it will show.

Shorts: Appropriate for casual wear, not so much formal and evening. Once again, not too short, just because there is the potential for awkwardness/too much exposure.

Shirts: Comfort factor. If you're going around all day making sure your boobs are in the top like they're meant to be, then you're not going to be having fun. (well, you might be, but let's not go there). I'd like to say not to wear tops with too much cleavage, but I'd be hypocritical. I do like my low-cut tops. But once again, be tasteful.

All up, buy things that fit, that are comfortable, and if you have a friend that you can trust, bring him/her along. A friend is an excellent judge of 'does this really look good on me?'.

Hope I've helped. Have fun

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

My guy friend asked me out today, who says WoW amd GW players can't unite?
    ____

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Speaking of which, I was actually told how respectful I was of womens rights when I beat up a girl.

Well, she hit me. And I hadn't deserved it. So I hit back, exactly the way I would have with a boy.

Yeah. Not a big fan of double standards.
    This was exactly what my english class was talking about the other day. We came to pretty much the same conclusion as you, and then we started talking about double standards...

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    My guy friend asked me out today, who says WoW amd GW players can't unite?
    I am green with envy.

More green, I mean.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-04-13 at 04:13 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

I am also green with envy. Which I must say is pretty impressive for me. (Curses, that would've worked a lot better if I was using my normal avatar )

No, I kid, I kid. Honestly, good for you, CA.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In terms of labels, I find the word "homosexual" to be very cold, sterile, and clinical. I don't want to be called homosexual, even if that's technically what I am.

I'm gay. Period.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Lucky you! I must warn you that when my mood next sours, I will find you with a dagger and kill you in a fit of jealous rage. But for now, happy for you! ^_^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Og god, Lix... I hope you are talking to Dabbler and not me...
    ____

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DabblerWizard View Post
    I'm gay. Period! :DDD
    Fixed

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Og god, Lix... I hope you are talking to Dabbler and not me...
    You.
    Though, fortunately for you, seems this is gonna be a sad depressed rather than a bitter one.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    The first problem with that is that the word's negative -- or shall we say subversive and licentious, although not specifically homosexual -- connotations go back at least to the 17th century.
    Really? I know nothing on the matter, but gay is used in a song in Patience, by Gilbert & Sullivan, clearly meaning happy, carefree, etc. Definitely not subversive and licentious. And this was in 1881.

So it would seem that it could still be used without those negative connotations at that point.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

That's because it didn't mean homosexual at that time. Gay was used to refer to "immoral acts" going back to 1700s (I guess being to carefree about having a good time doesn't fly with everyone). General promiscuity. By the 1900s it was applied liberally to prostitutes of many descriptions, shifting over eventually to male prostitutes, homosexual prostitutes, and finally homosexuals in general in the last few decades.

I guess sort of like the term "Joy girls/Joy boys." Joy doesn't mean sex by itself, but Joy girl floats around in my community as a term for... ladies of the evening. Similarly, the original use of the slang Gay for prostitutes was qualified as "A gay cat." Enough time for drifting, and...
    Last edited by golentan; 2010-04-13 at 05:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

There's a song with the lyric 'Children of the night' in it. My friend was convinced it meant prostitutes til I pointed out that was ladies of the night, and it probably meant vampires.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

I guess sort of like the term "Joy girls/Joy boys." Joy doesn't mean sex by itself, but Joy girl floats around in my community as a term for... ladies of the evening.
    In German Joy Girls ("Freudenmädchen") and Joy House ("Freudenhaus") were common words for prostitutes and brothels. But as german society became more relaxed about such things in the last decades
    people just call them what they are and don't use euphemisms that much anymore.
    Some years ago a store for teenage clothes opened in my home city that was called Freudenhaus. I'm not sure if most of their customers got the double meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Really? I know nothing on the matter, but gay is used in a song in Patience, by Gilbert & Sullivan, clearly meaning happy, carefree, etc. Definitely not subversive and licentious. And this was in 1881.
    TVtropes has this trope called Have A Gay Old Time.
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-04-13 at 06:36 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #347

That's because it didn't mean homosexual at that time. Gay was used to refer to "immoral acts" going back to 1700s (I guess being to carefree about having a good time doesn't fly with everyone). General promiscuity.
    That's more or less what Kneenibble said and what I was referring to. The song definitely doesn't mean it in any negative way.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So it would seem that it could still be used without those negative connotations at that point.
    Hell, even in the mid-1900's it was an acceptable word for "happy". This is evidenced by the absurd amount of times it is used in Batman comics to (to fans's dismay, and mostly in conjunction with his younger partner, Robin ).
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-04-14 at 12:31 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

19. - Top - End - #349

confused Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

I'm missing something obvious here, and I know it has something to do with bisexuality, but would someone describe what LGBT is and what is stands for?
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

20. - Top - End - #350

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans.

It's basically shorthand for nonstandard sexual orientation.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

21. - Top - End - #351
    Banned

I have a request:

Could the Playground's resident lovers of the male form support our very own Lycanthromancer's fledgling Beefcake Thread?

Yes, it is directly designed to be our answer to the "Vixens of Tabletops" thread. So post any good fantasy art you have depicting barbarians with pecs like paving slabs, dashing knaves with sparkling smiles, and even youthful wizards with that adorable nerdy look going for them.

Your assistance is appreciated!

(Lesbians are of course welcome as well - in either thread )

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

That's more or less what Kneenibble said and what I was referring to. The song definitely doesn't mean it in any negative way.
    I never said that its licentious overtones overshadowed its less loaded use, though. I was objecting to Vaynor's statement that the word had no negative connotations at the time, as if out of the blue it just got stuck to mansexers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Hell, even in the mid-90's it was an acceptable word for "happy". This is evidenced by the absurd amount of times it is used in Batman comics to (to fans's dismay, and mostly in conjunction with his younger partner, Robin ).
    Sweetheart, I'm sorry to keep picking on you, but the word gay was not thrown around in my playgrounds in 1995 to describe the feeling of winning at tetherball.

@v That's adorable.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2010-04-13 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

So, I have a story I feel might be appreciated here, at least in a "Aw, that's mildly amusing and/or cute" kind of way.

My grandmother, who recently celebrated her 70th birthday, told me that some years back, she had a very flamboyantly gay friend she used to work with. Time went by, they got older, and he ended up owning a furniture shop. She ends up going into said furniture shop one day, not knowing he owned it, and after he shows up and re-introduces himself to her, they have a great reunion and catch up on old times. Time passes, and it's about time to close up shop. The conversation had recently drifted onto what was currently going on in their lives, and the gay friend says that he's going to take a vacation to Italy. She says, "Oh, well! You just have a gay old time then! It was nice seeing you!" They hug, she walks off.

Right as she gets to the door, she realizes what she said, feels mortified, and turns around to see her friend bust out laughing. She runs back over and apologizes profusely, but he says "I KNOW you didn't mean it like that, that's what makes it so great!"

So yeah. It may not be as funny to everyone here, but I thought it was a quaint story to share.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    I have a request:

Could the Playground's resident lovers of the male form support our very own Lycanthromancer's fledgling Beefcake Thread?

Yes, it is directly designed to be our answer to the "Vixens of Tabletops" thread. So post any good fantasy art you have depicting barbarians with pecs like paving slabs, dashing knaves with sparkling smiles, and even youthful wizards with that adorable nerdy look going for them.

Your assistance is appreciated!

(Lesbians are of course welcome as well - in either thread )
    Huh? But there's already plenty of beefcake in the Vixens thread Is it necessary? Or couldn't we just combine them in a gender-neutral manner or something? Will take it there...

Also, Cael, didn't you ask that same question just a page ago? Or was that someone else?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I never said that its licentious overtones overshadowed its less loaded use, though. I was objecting to Vaynor's statement that the word had no negative connotations at the time, as if out of the blue it just got stuck to mansexers.

Sweetheart, I'm sorry to keep picking on you, but the word gay was not thrown around in my playgrounds in 1995 to describe the feeling of winning at tetherball.

@v That's adorable.
    That'd be a typo, I meant mid-1900's.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

26. - Top - End - #356
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Personally I approve of the Beefcake thread, even if the title is a bit silly and reminds me of a cattle show.

When I checked out the Vixens and Dames thread, I couldn't find any male fantasy pictures of any sort on the first few pages, so I assumed it was male opposite sexed / female same sexed exclusive, which miffed me a bit.

Though just to be clear, I don't 'expect' GITP to provide enticing pictures of attractive men, even generally imaginary ones. It's just nice that it does.

Optimystik - I have no desire to inadvertently support Skittles the candy company, because I don't like their product, even if their slogan "Taste the rainbow" makes me laugh.

So, I'm gay. Period. Without the many colors.
    Last edited by DabblerWizard; 2010-04-14 at 09:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

There are some male pictures in the thread, but you'll have to keep looking for them.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #358

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    So, I have a story I feel might be appreciated here, at least in a "Aw, that's mildly amusing and/or cute" kind of way.

My grandmother, who recently celebrated her 70th birthday, told me that some years back, she had a very flamboyantly gay friend she used to work with. Time went by, they got older, and he ended up owning a furniture shop. She ends up going into said furniture shop one day, not knowing he owned it, and after he shows up and re-introduces himself to her, they have a great reunion and catch up on old times. Time passes, and it's about time to close up shop. The conversation had recently drifted onto what was currently going on in their lives, and the gay friend says that he's going to take a vacation to Italy. She says, "Oh, well! You just have a gay old time then! It was nice seeing you!" They hug, she walks off.

Right as she gets to the door, she realizes what she said, feels mortified, and turns around to see her friend bust out laughing. She runs back over and apologizes profusely, but he says "I KNOW you didn't mean it like that, that's what makes it so great!"

So yeah. It may not be as funny to everyone here, but I thought it was a quaint story to share.
    That is so cute. Sounds like your grandmother is a decent lady.

29. - Top - End - #359

NecromancerGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySvCe_lgbRM

Marilyn starts singing around 1.35, note the usage in one of the first few verses.
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

That is such a brilliant film.

"I'm a man!"
    "Nobody's perfect."
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.