New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

Quote Originally Posted by albis View Post
    you can call me...mushroom...
    Hello, Mushroom!
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

2. - Top - End - #692
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Is it reasonable for a person to insist upon gender neutral pronouns to be used to describe them?
    Though I'd prefer to have a pretty good reason for it, I suppose so, but I don't think it's reasonable for them to get upset if you forget or whatever.
    By extension any gendered words are entirely unacceptable and worthy of scorn.
    This is ridiculous if only because, good or bad, Language Does Not Work That Way.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Hello, Mushroom!
    Hello
    "Whoever said 'nothing is impossible' never tried slamming a revolving door."

Yuu Kanda avatar by Jacklu! =)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ostien View Post
    But, I'd says its reasonable if it does matter to you.
    It's not me. It's not even anyone I particularly like.

I when I heard about the "don't ever use gendered pronouns for this person" thing I was actually shocked. My immediate thoughts were that it was counterproductive to the acceptance of wider gender issues by society. It looks like a barrier separating people who don't conform to the gender binary from those that do.

But when I tried to explain this view point I just ended up looking like the closed minded straight guy.

It upsets me when I'm told that I have to make a special effort for someone I don't particularly care about especially when I believe that by participating I'd be contributing to undoing work that LGBT groups do to encourage everyone to accept everyone else.

I don't want to be uninformed. So I've got to ask. Even if it does feel like I'm being bad person by gossiping.

I feel such guilt for being straight... as if someone's telling me, "you will never understand" over and over.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Hello
    You need a mushroom hat...

And it's obvious you're deadly poisonous... one taste and you're in heaven.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Hello
    I had a mushroom once.
    Not anymore.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Colossus in the Playground

I just played in a Pathfinder game in which we were infested with mushrooms...
    They killed the newbie.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

@ Glug: I don't think being straight makes it impossible for you to understand... there can be particular situation that a straight person would never find themselves in, but I don't think this is the case...
    ...as a bisexual androgynous-looking person I must say that I think the "don't ever use gendered pronouns" thing is a bit pushing it... sure I often refer to myself with masculine pronouns and would like to be considered male, but as long as you accept that from me it doesn't really matter to me which pronoun you address me with...
    so no, I don't think being straight and not understanding an extreme makes you close-minded
    nor you are guilty about anything.

@ Asta Kask: I'm WHAT?!?!? I can't be poisonous! If I'm poisonous my turtles will die when they bite my fingers!!! ><
    Last edited by albis; 2010-05-10 at 11:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I just played in a Pathfinder game in which we were infested with mushrooms...
    They killed the newbie.

I never liked mushrooms. They lie. For they are not fun. Or a guy. (da-boom tss)
    Last edited by Nameless; 2010-05-10 at 11:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I guess I could be a flowerpot, then. XD

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

@ Asta Kask: I'm WHAT?!?!? I can't be poisonous! If I'm poisonous my turtles will die when they bite my fingers!!! ><
    It's a poison which only affects humans. Of all possible genders and sexualities.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #702
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Is it reasonable for a person to insist upon gender neutral pronouns to be used to describe them?
    Of course it is. Choose whatever you're comfortable with and make sure people know that's what you want.

By extention for that person. Other people identify with a certain gender, appreciate being identified as such by others, and would feel wrong without it. That's not any more worthy of scorn than it is for people in the first group to decide they don't like gender pronouns. Just different.

Edit: And just the fact that you're concerned about being close minded says to me that you're probably not. Most people who are don't bother to worry about it; it doesn't even occur to them that there might be other opinions out there. You clearly don't fall into that category. So cheer up!
    Last edited by Danne; 2010-05-10 at 11:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

...as a bisexual androgynous-looking person I must say that I think the "don't ever use gendered pronouns" thing is a bit pushing it... sure I often refer to myself with masculine pronouns and would like to be considered male, but as long as you accept that from me it doesn't really matter to me which pronoun you address me with...
    I'm glad I'm not totally crazy.

The friend that was telling me off is trans himself but couldn't accept my barrier point.

I'm going to show my friends a movie this week with a surprise trans-friendly subplot and moral. I just hope that they won't be offended when the subplot is introduced. Stories are about conflict and the protagonist sure is conflicted about it! It's a Japanese Zombie movie called Wild Zero.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

...Trans-friendly subplot and Japanese Zombies? Why, I gotta see this movie!

lol just kidding (but seriously, now I'm curious XD) anyway... I dunno, I guess there are people that hold the way they are addressed in high regard, maybe because they feel diminished, or incomplete... or maybe feel other people don't accept them for what they feel they are, if they aren't addressed the way they want... I'd say it's a matter of perspective... maybe this person telling you off won't get as angry if you explain to them that it doesn't bother you what they are, and you only use a pronoun instead of another because it's hard to break a habit.... if they still do.... well, that just sucks, we can't always go out of our way to please anyone and everyone around us... with time the old habit will die down and the new one will take its place, but I don't think you need to make a specific effort... (though that's only my opinion... I've never been a fussy person)...
    Last edited by albis; 2010-05-10 at 11:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

There are a number of people for whom this is a genuine concern, but there are also a number of people who are just determined to be offended. But how do you tell them apart?

― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #706

Zombie

I'm gonna toss this one into the "can't make everyone happy" pile. Some people like gender pronouns, some people don't, some people don't care. If someone is important to you, learn which pronoun they prefer (if they prefer one). If not, it's not like you should be walking on eggshells around every single person in the world for fear of picking the wrong word!

17. - Top - End - #707
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    I'm gonna toss this one into the "can't make everyone happy" pile. Some people like gender pronouns, some people don't, some people don't care. If someone is important to you, learn which pronoun they prefer (if they prefer one). If not, it's not like you should be walking on eggshells around every single person in the world for fear of picking the wrong word!
    I second this. =)

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess I could be a flowerpot, then. XD
    I was going to go with that, first, but I decided it was too feminine and therefore kind of missing the point.

Personally, I would love to get footage of you and Nameless walking hand-in-hand down the street just to capture people's reactions and expressions as they try to pigeonhole the relationship. "Wait, which one's the guy? Both? Neither? Gah! "
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

19. - Top - End - #709
    Orc in the Playground

I was going to go with that, first, but I decided it was too feminine and therefore kind of missing the point.

Personally, I would love to get footage of you and Nameless walking hand-in-hand down the street just to capture people's reactions and expressions as they try to pigeonhole the relationship. "Wait, which one's the guy? Both? Neither? Gah! "
    I'd be a MANLY flowerpot, then. u_u

Lol, it'd sure be fun... if we all ever meet we'll do this! XD

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Albis, the manly flowerpot. ...That works. That really does.
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

21. - Top - End - #711
    Orc in the Playground

Albis, the manly flowerpot. ...That works. That really does.
    I've always been fond of oxymorons...
    And I must say I sometimes show a girly side... like my recent (like started 5 months ago) passion for belly-dancing... that's not a very manly thing to do, right? XD

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

God help them if they ever start speaking a language where gender carries meaning in a sentence

I'm willing to accommodate people's choice of pronouns, though everyone I know it's been to male/female pronouns rather than gender-neutral, which I would guess is a little easier to ingrain to the point of being reflex compared to singular-they/hir/xe/whatever.

There are a number of people for whom this is a genuine concern, but there are also a number of people who are just determined to be offended. But how do you tell them apart?
    Also, very much this. My personal opinion is that if you're upset by someone's word choice, you're not nearly laid back enough. Note that this doesn't mean you don't like it - just that you're not upset over it.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Orc in the Playground

Lol I really would like to see these people speak in Italian... there are no neutral-gendered pronouns save for an old-fashioned and very seldom used translation of "it". XD
    Last edited by albis; 2010-05-10 at 02:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Why construct new pronouns, when variations on "they" work well enough?
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Lol I really would like to see these people speak in Italian... there are no neutral-gendered pronouns save for an old-fashioned and very seldom used translation of "it". XD
    It is a very culturally imperialistic of them (which is amusing, cause they are normally very anti-cultural imperialism). The reasoning seems to be that since English could do away with the gender-system centuries ago - why can't the rest of the world's 6 000 languages not stop moaning and get on board with the program?

― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #716

WolfInSheepsClothing

<.< >.> I shall call Albis: Attractive. =3 Because Albis is cute. ^.^
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Note:
    SHIP.
    (Shot)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have now come out to 100% of my parents.

Everything went very well.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    I have now come out to 100% of my parents.

Everything went very well.
    Congratulations.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is it that I can't even bring myself to come out to a lesbian friend?