New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

A funny thing happened today. I was looking at the mirror to see how my graduation cap (or what ever it is called in english) looked on me and I thought: Hey I look rather androgynous with this thing on. I suddenly felt really happy :O
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

2. - Top - End - #992

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mortor Board! It's what those silly hats are called. Also, congratulations on impending graduation! Also, also, *hugs* Probably the same way I felt when I got rid of my sideburns and started letting my hair grow out. ^_^
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Not to delve too deeply in to politics, but I heard on the radio that a measure went through late last night to approve ending it pending the completion of a Pentagon study and support from the commanders.
    Maybe, but it still has to go through more votes, sessions, and red tape. It won't be any time soon... The article I read said something about a 2011 Military Revision bill or something, so I'm assuming that's what it would be tacked on to and when it would take affect.

Also, how did you get away with writing about a school shooting and only getting points off for waiting too long to reveal the writer's gender? In most schools, or at least mine, any references to something like that would have cost you more than a few points...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Also, how did you get away with writing about a school shooting and only getting points off for waiting too long to reveal the writer's gender? In most schools, or at least mine, any references to something like that would have cost you more than a few points...
    Ahh, the 70s, it was a different time back then.

I know some kids got expelled for a short story they wrote around... 2006-2007 that involved a zombie apocalypse that wasn't even published or circulated at the school by the writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #995
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I know some kids got expelled for a short story they wrote
    This.
    This right here is why I just lost all the faith in humanity that I was borrowing from my brother because I lost mine too. Great. Now how am I going to pay him back?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

6. - Top - End - #996
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe, but it still has to go through more votes, sessions, and red tape. It won't be any time soon... The article I read said something about a 2011 Military Revision bill or something, so I'm assuming that's what it would be tacked on to and when it would take affect.
    Well, getting rid of it has pretty broad appeal among the rank and file. Once you've been shot at by people trying to kill you, the sexual preference of the person at your side doesn't really matter very much. Also, US soldiers aren't allowed to have sex on active duty anyway, so any problems that might arise wouldn't really come up.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's reasonable. We can't have kids thinking it's okay to start zombie apocalypses.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Orc in the Playground

I know some kids got expelled for a short story they wrote around... 2006-2007 that involved a zombie apocalypse that wasn't even published or circulated at the school by the writers.
    This is why I'm glad I go to a school were I can curse out a teacher, and I don't get in trouble as long as I'm clever about it.
    I also wrote an essay about prostitution in History class, and got an A.
    But I can see things like this happening at other schools... it's sad.

9. - Top - End - #999

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Well, that's reasonable. We can't have kids thinking it's okay to start zombie apocalypses.
    Actually, it was taking refuge in the high school that got 'em expelled IIRC.

So. Gay people. More or less susceptible to the zombie plague?

Generally less contact with the elderly due to severed family ties and social prejudices, right? So that's a point in favor of avoiding patient 0...
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, it was taking refuge in the high school that got 'em expelled IIRC.
    Ah, that makes sense now. We can't have the youth of today thinking they can do sissy things like "taking refuge" and "not being possessed by a horrible supervirus that turns you into a zombie". Back in my day we got possessed by horrible viruses all the time, and we damn well enjoyed it.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf-Eater View Post
    Well, getting rid of it has pretty broad appeal among the rank and file. Once you've been shot at by people trying to kill you, the sexual preference of the person at your side doesn't really matter very much. Also, US soldiers aren't allowed to have sex on active duty anyway, so any problems that might arise wouldn't really come up.
    Except that they might freak out from being near gay people. But society as a whole has to learn to deal with it and as said, it's probably getting much easier once you're under fire together.

Even if there's not much actually happening yet, I think it's at least nice to see that a considerable number of high ranking politicians seem to belive that abolishing the rule will be taken favorably by voters.

But having read about it yesterday, it got me wondering: What about open bisexuals? Are they forced to leave as well? What does the rules actually say what people have to be kicked out?
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-05-28 at 03:32 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm fairly certain bisexuals are also covered by "Don't ask, don't tell."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, US soldiers aren't allowed to have sex on active duty anyway, so any problems that might arise wouldn't really come up.
    And I'm sure absolutely nobody flouts that rule.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Except that they might freak out from being near gay people. But society as a whole has to learn to deal with it and as said, it's probably getting much easier once you're under fire together.

Even if there's not much actually happening yet, I think it's at least nice to see that a considerable number of high ranking politicians seem to belive that abolishing the rule will be taken favorably by voters.

But having read about it yesterday, it got me wondering: What about open bisexuals? Are they forced to leave as well? What does the rules actually say what people have to be kicked out?
    Well, as I said, surveys among active servicemen/women/others show that ~75% are in favor of repealing "don't ask, don't tell." They already know gay servicemen, who came out after they were discharged, and after having to deal with gorilla civil war in the graveyard of empires, hating on gays just seems rather pointless, especially gays who join the military.
    Similarly, the military was integrated in 1948, before most other institutions in America. Throughout most of the fifties and sixties, racism was much less pronounced in military culture than anywere else-- your comrade in arms is your comrade in arms, black or white, gay or straight, he's still your brother.
    It's the politicians and the old-fashioned higher-ups, who mostly went strait from collage to commission to the political ladder, who are crying foul

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Erm...if I might add something... not to step on anyone's toes or anything.

Military members are not allowed to do certain things while deployed to certain parts of the globe. It is part of General Order number 1 and is spelled out.

Active Duty refers to anyone who's full time job is the military. I am on active duty. A guard member who is deployed is considered to be on active duty. So, just a clarification.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

gorilla civil war
    I just saw two armies of Great Apes charging at each other around their respective flag-bearers...
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    I just saw two armies of Great Apes charging at each other around their respective flag-bearers...
    In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only War. And chimpanzees.

What? They already make great troops.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Orc in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wxdruid View Post
    Erm...if I might add something... not to step on anyone's toes or anything.

Military members are not allowed to do certain things while deployed to certain parts of the globe. It is part of General Order number 1 and is spelled out.

Active Duty refers to anyone who's full time job is the military. I am on active duty. A guard member who is deployed is considered to be on active duty. So, just a clarification.
    Thanks!
    Honestly, I don't really know enough about the subject to make the statements I did. Sorry...

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

No worries, just saw the post and had to add clarification so that you and others wouldn't be confused.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

21. - Top - End - #1011

Cuz I don't live in a stoopid crazy paranoid country
    Kidding! Honest! Please don't bomb me! (o.o)
    Ahh, the 70s, it was a different time back then.
    How old do you think I am?
    I think I wrote it... in the 2000s... but before 2003. Maybe exactly 2000. If I recall correctly, the new kid befriended this loner guy who warned him to stay away from school but he ignored him and the guy turned up with a gun and I think tried to (did?) kill some people but the new kid stepped in and stopped him and the guy was caught alive and put in a mental institution where the kid visits him sometimes. Happy ending and all that jazz. More or less.

22. - Top - End - #1012

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I think I wrote it... in the 2000s... but before 2003. Maybe exactly 2000. If I recall correctly, the new kid befriended this loner guy who warned him to stay away from school but he ignored him and the guy turned up with a gun and I think tried to (did?) kill some people but the new kid stepped in and stopped him and the guy was caught alive and put in a mental institution where the kid visits him sometimes. Happy ending and all that jazz. More or less.
    And instead live in a state that encourages molly-coddling.

Definitely weird for it to not even get commented on. Definitely well into the age of school shootings then. Kind of scary that Serps is only about the same age as one of my brothers.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #1013

Nah, I'll let it go at that
    See, people here don't assume that if you bring up something that's happened in the world, you will replicate it

24. - Top - End - #1014

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    See, people here don't assume that if you bring up something that's happened in the world, you will replicate it
    Well, at least we realize that a happy ending for an attempted mass murderer is tasteless at best.

So. Something Topical.

What do you call a man who finds men sexually attractive but doesn't actually enjoy having sex with them?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-05-29 at 07:26 AM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #1015

He was mentally disturbed. I can't remember the reasons, but he was mad, not evil. Considering we don't have the death penalty here, a lifetime in a mental institution is plentily appropriate.

Ionno. Straight but flexible? Bi/homosexual but picky?

26. - Top - End - #1016

Someone with bad lovers?

I kid I kid.

Wouldn't that mean asexual gay man or something along those lines?
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Banned

Usually, assuming a particular viewpoint is just a matter of personal interpretation. So, yeah, I doubt that that's really fair.
    It'd be interesting to write from an androgynous viewpoint...
    No. . .Serpentine has assumed that the teacher assumed a particular viewpoint for no good reason (and/or her name on the byline) and I have assumed that the particular, wrong for the narrator, viewpoint was embedded in the writing and the teacher picked up on it. It can't be settled either way without seeing the story.

Alternately, since I missed the whole shooting aspect of it earlier, docking the grade may have been an unspoken way to warn Serpentine not to write anything else on that topic, a "a guy would have gotten in trouble if he had written this" message, a "question who you identify with, the shooter or the savior" message.

28. - Top - End - #1018

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    No. . .Serpentine has assumed that the teacher assumed a particular viewpoint for no good reason (and/or her name on the byline) and I have assumed that the particular, wrong for the narrator, viewpoint was embedded in the writing and the teacher picked up on it.
    No. I already said, I'm not surprised she took that view. I was surprised that she considered the fact that it happened to be wrong to be such a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Alternately, since I missed the whole shooting aspect of it earlier, docking the grade may have been an unspoken way to warn Serpentine not to write anything else on that topic, a "a guy would have gotten in trouble if he had written this" message, a "question who you identify with, the shooter or the savior" message.
    Again: No. She would have said so if that was the case, and generally speaking (inner-city schools might be different), this is not an issue here.

If I can find it, I'll show it in all its crappy high schooly glory. In the meantime, moving right along.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-05-29 at 07:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

What do you call a man who finds men sexually attractive but doesn't actually enjoy having sex with them?
    His name.

But, honestly, this is an example why labels and categories don't really work, because I have no idea what you would call that.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Depends. Does he also find women attractive? If so, I call him bisexual. If not, I call him homosexual. Seems pretty straight-forward to me; I don't really think enjoyment of sexual activity dictates sexuality per se. Huh. Reminds me of something...