Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    stuff
    Like I said, the data seem pretty sound. It's just got these yucky undertones. And I was surprised at the use of the word "sissy," especially so frequently. Forget that it's insulting -- qualitative words don't belong in a "scientific" article.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Yet most of the A's I've spoken to have said something to the effect of "Tried masturbating/fooling around once or twice, wasn't fun, no interest in sex."

I realize that is a subset of the asexual population, but it seems to be a large one. And it's bizarre. It weirds me out.
    Well, with the women at least, anorgasmia is unbelievably common in one form or another, so them having a form of it that they don't know how to work around or can't work around is quite possible. I've mostly run into the profound disinterest/lack of sex drive/apathy more than the "doesn't feel anything from sexual touching," in my life. Granted, I've only run into the latter once and the former... let's say a dozen times if you count people on this site.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-21 at 05:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Orc in the Playground

the word "sissy" does not belong in any work your trying to get someone to take seriously unless its the name of someone involved, and you should avoid involving scientists named "sissy", it just doesnt sound dignified.
    Last edited by 742; 2010-06-21 at 09:09 PM.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Well, some of them believe that anyone who thinks s/he's asexual is actually repressed and needs help.
    Someone I know thinks that anyone who's asexual must have been molested or raped.

... Of course, they don't know I'm asexual.

They're also really, really homophobic.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Barbarian in the Playground

If hatred of homosexuals is homophobia, is hatred of asexuals aphobia?
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

Last edited by Rauthiss : Today at 6:66 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1446

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    If I recall correctly, in the sample they looked at, only about 1/3 of the twins were both homosexual.
    That's... actually quite substantial. Certainly much more than the wider community. It would be interesting to know why many twins aren't both of the same sexuality. Perhaps not just genetic, and not just in-utero effects, but in-utero effects switching on or off certain genes to differing degrees in each twin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Do any guys have the urge to pee in a safe place, or is something interesting to aim at all you require? Am I overestimating the women's need for a safe place in which to pee--would we be happy with an appropriately sloped place to squat? (Yes, this'll relate back to the thread topic and not be a random jaunt into gender politics, but first I need to check that the assumptions about a 'safe place' are valid.)
    Boys can just whip out their thing with no more than their back to any viewers while maintaining their modesty and security. A wiggle and they're dry.
    Women have to enter the much more vulnerable position of pants round ankles, squatting on toes, bum angled just so, bits waving out to the open air. Without something upon which to wipe, they're in for soggy underpants.
    Guys get all the breaks

7. - Top - End - #1447

Quote Originally Posted by Rauthiss View Post
    It's a colloquial phrase. More accurate would be homosexophobia. Then again, homosexophobia was originally proposed as a term for the sensation of being heterosexual and complacent (if not supportive) of homosexuality in the philosophical/theoretical/romantic sense, but while still totally freaking out about man/man or woman/woman sex.

Therefore, a proper word would be asexophobia (i think).

Oddly enough, if taken literally, heterosexophobia could be a fear of the opposite sex making sexual contact. Or it could be a fear of opposite sexual preferences to one's own, and that would make it apt to describe anti-gay, anti-bi, anti-asexual and anti-hetero nonsense all together. Unless you only really saw yourself as having one opposite sexuality, when we know there are so many more than two. In that case, I might suggest xenosexophobia, or xenotypic heterosexophobia.

I'm pretty sure that nothing I just said has any credibility, but that's how I understand things.

8. - Top - End - #1448

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rauthiss View Post
    [If you are a linguist or know more about Greco-Romano languages than me, feel free to correct me]

Both of those suck linguistically. 'Homophobia' means 'human being' or in other cases 'same' in Latin, which means Homophobia should be the fear of Humans or sameness, whilst aphobia, I do believe a- is a negating prefix, thus making it mean 'no fear'.
    As well, the term 'homosexual' is somewhat misleading too. "Similar sexual-attraction"? Shouldn't it be Homosexophilia or "Love of the Same Sex"? Or perhaps to differentiate it from romantic attraction, we can use 'erotic'. Right now it just bugs me.
    Asexual seems just a tad off to me, like does it mean you're 'not gendered'? That makes very little sense.
    New terms:
    Homosexophilia- (Homoromantic)
    Aqusexophilia- (Aromantic)
    Duosexophilia- (Biromantic)
    Qusexolphilia-(Panromantic)
    Homosexerotica- (Homosexual)
    Aqusexerotica- (Asexual)
    Duosexerotica (Bisexual)
    Qusexerotica (Pansexual)
    Rudiblennimorio(blanket term for people actively against non-Heterosexual sexualities)
    Last edited by Eloi; 2010-06-21 at 11:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

That actually makes me think of something I read a while ago. A group of homosexual, bisexual and other LGBEveryLetterEverT people were protesting the fact that they were labled "-sexual" implying their attraction was purely sexual, wheras criminal and other paraphilias (paedophilia, necrophilia, zoophilia etc) get a suffix that translates as being related to love instead of sex.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Go with what Eloi said; it totally trounces my advice,

11. - Top - End - #1451

...I was going for a joke in a similar vein of vegetarian:vegetables::Humanitarian:??? but It seems I sparked a better discussion! Yay!
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

Last edited by Rauthiss : Today at 6:66 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    That actually makes me think of something I read a while ago. A group of homosexual, bisexual and other LGBEveryLetterEverT people were protesting the fact that they were labled "-sexual" implying their attraction was purely sexual, wheras criminal and other paraphilias (paedophilia, necrophilia, zoophilia etc) get a suffix that translates as being related to love instead of sex.
    This is a remarkably good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

13. - Top - End - #1453

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    This is a remarkably good point.
    Well, until the end-game of last century, homosexuality was clumped in with those same paraphilias as a mental illness. ...so, yeah...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-22 at 12:59 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1454

WolfInSheepsClothing

It hit me like a ton of bricks earlier today (yesterday? Monday at any rate); I'm in a queer relationship! I am incredibly happy to be so, as well. =3 Not because it is between two queer folks, but because it is a relationship. =P But still, if you had told me five years ago I would be dating a MtF and entirely happy with it, I would not have believed you. ^_^
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Banned

There's a decoder ring of a person, not Quincunx-branded. The ring's got a mirror set underneath the diamond though, so I'm never sure if it's sparkling out of its own understanding or just reflecting what I said back at myself. Maybe the mirror's part of the decoder design? Dunno.

Would be happy to link, but give me some hours to try and find some of the more germane conversations. Also, bring an unabridged dictionary. I'm speaking about an intellect who uses the perfect word when it's needed, not just to pepper the post.

I was going to wind up a diatribe about non-acceptance of the term "biologically [gender I was born as]" as a lie against a fact, thus a warning against the denier being a liar, and a liar not being allowed into a safe space e.g. the gender-segregated public bathroom--but the idea of a bathroom being a safe space seems to only be in my own head, so the entire argument is moot. (In fact, it's so deep in my head that I'm not sure how to define 'safe'. Didn't deliberately leave it undefined to solicit input. Concept may have been cross-pollinated by talking with victims'-rights advocate?)

Raw material! Thank you, Danne! (reads link)

. . .Sifting through this is going to use up this month's quantity of 'Cerebus allowance' for sifting insight out of hostile madness, isn't it.

Don't forget interesting terms with the vaso- prefix and studies of chronic dehydration, golentan, while you're compiling cross-references.

"Sexual love", and its translation back into Greek as -philia, was not always viewed as a positive term. Y'all started getting sub-classified after sexual love ceased to be seen as a negative and thus lost the negative, yet more accurate, root.

Hehehehehe. Root.

The expansion of the conscious horizon is nosy to know, five years ago, did you know there even was such a being as an MtF transsexual?

16. - Top - End - #1456

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    [If you are a linguist or know more about Greco-Romano languages than me, feel free to correct me]

Both of those suck linguistically. 'Homophobia' means 'human being' or in other cases 'same' in Latin, which means Homophobia should be the fear of Humans or sameness, whilst aphobia, I do believe a- is a negating prefix, thus making it mean 'no fear'.
    You're mixing up your Latin and your Greek. "Homo" means "man" (generally speaking) in Latin, but "same" in Greek. So you're technically right that it could me "fear of man," but "phobia" is Greek, so it would be weird to mix up the Latin meaning to get that. You're right about "aphobia," though; "a-" negates, and so it would mean "no fear."

As well, the term 'homosexual' is somewhat misleading too. "Similar sexual-attraction"? Shouldn't it be Homosexophilia or "Love of the Same Sex"? Or perhaps to differentiate it from romantic attraction, we can use 'erotic'. Right now it just bugs me.
    Makes sense to me. "Homophobia" just means "fear of sameness," there's nothing linguistically (that I know of) that makes it stand just for fear of LGBTetc. people other than that's what everyone decided it means.

Asexual seems just a tad off to me, like does it mean you're 'not gendered'? That makes very little sense.
    Feels off to me for a different reason. They don't reproduce by budding; they do not go through binary fission, nor do they produce spores. That's what "asexual" means to me, meaning no disrespect to those who identify as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    It's worth pointing out that there are plenty of completely innocuous words that end in "-philia." I myself am a bibliophile (I love to read). Anglophiles love British things; francophiles love French things. Something that is hydrophilic contains charged molecules (i.e. molecules that "love" to interact with water).

I also think that the word "homoSEXual" does make people think of what two men can do in the bedroom, which makes some people uncomfortable. (Not so much what two women can do, because apparently straight boys think that's hot.) Using terms like "same gender love" instead of "same sex love" might help some people understand that there's so much more to it than that -- might make some people less uncomfortable.

Of course, then there are the rabid nutjobs who wouldn't accept us if their lives depended on it.
    Last edited by Danne; 2010-06-22 at 12:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    You're mixing up your Latin and your Greek. "Homo" means "man" (generally speaking) in Latin, but "same" in Greek. So you're technically right that it could me "fear of man," but "phobia" is Greek, so it would be weird to mix up the Latin meaning to get that. You're right about "aphobia," though; "a-" negates, and so it would mean "no fear."
    You just won me an argument. Thank you.

(Not so much what two women can do, because apparently straight boys think that's hot.)
    For the sake of fairness, there are a substantial amount of yaoi fangirls, although they tend to be thinking of anime characters.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #1458

WhiteWizardGirl

@Danne: Thanks for the corrections, I don't claim to be an expert, I know that the current words just don't work/mean what they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    For the sake of fairness, there are a substantial amount of yaoi fangirls, although they tend to be thinking of anime characters.
    I think fetishization of homosexual opposite sex couples is common among both genders in varying degrees.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

I think fetishization of homosexual opposite sex couples is common among both genders in varying degrees.
    Yes. I agree. With shorter words. @_@
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

20. - Top - End - #1460

Zombie

You just won me an argument. Thank you.
    You're welcome.

@Danne: Thanks for the corrections, I don't claim to be an expert, I know that the current words just don't work/mean what they should.

You're welcome, too. And you and Lix Lorn are both right (oh, the yaoi fan girls... ) but for some reason I find people still have less of a problem with lesbian couples than gay men. Maybe because so many influential people (like politicians and stuff) are men, and so it squicks them out? (Which is not to say that there aren't influential women, by any means -- they just make less noise! ) They determine what's culturally acceptable, and the masses follow, sort of thing?
    Last edited by Danne; 2010-06-22 at 12:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Banned

Someone has just opened a clothing shop for 'butch lesbians' in the UK, presumably London, and used the opportunity to grab a few column inches.

I would be more impressed if the accompanying 'butch tux' photo wasn't fitted worse than the average rental tux. If you're going to advertise a bespoke service, at least let the tailor have a go at your photo-op suit! Can't even excuse it as 'manly' fitting because last I checked, sleeves cut so badly that they bind 15 degrees off the vertical were not particularly masculine or feminine.

22. - Top - End - #1462

WhiteWizardGirl

Yes. I agree. With shorter words. @_@
    Yes I tend to indulge in hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian words which are subject to floccinaucinihilipilification, due to the masses being in a state of non-honorificabilitudinitatibus, but we should shun these linguistic counterrevolutionaries who have hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

You're welcome, too. And you and Lix Lorn are both right (oh, the yaoi fan girls... ) but for some reason I find people still have less of a problem with lesbian couples than gay men. Maybe because so many influential people (like politicians and stuff) are men, and so it squicks them out? (Which is not to say that there aren't influential women, by any means -- they just make less noise! ) They determine what's culturally acceptable, and the masses follow, sort of thing?
    I've actually heard equal opposition to both where I live, but that might just be the Midwestern United States, it might be different elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Someone has just opened a clothing shop for 'butch lesbians' in the UK, presumably London, and used the opportunity to grab a few column inches.

I would be more impressed if the accompanying 'butch tux' photo wasn't fitted worse than the average rental tux. If you're going to advertise a bespoke service, at least let the tailor have a go at your photo-op suit! Can't even excuse it as 'manly' fitting because last I checked, sleeves cut so badly that they bind 15 degrees off the vertical were not particularly masculine or feminine.
    * scratches head* They have shops with those kind of niches in the United Kingdom? Interesting. I'm kinda unsure how you'd open a clothing shop for that, because 'butch' is either too broad or too narrow of a term to categorize a store to, tho' I'm not entirely sure.

23. - Top - End - #1463

NecromancerGuy

Me, I'm just curious as to what a butch boutique would have to offer to attract such a clientele as they're ostensibly after. That is the subset that is supposed to reject shopping and fashion as virtues, isn't it?
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #1464

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Me, I'm just curious as to what a butch boutique would have to offer to attract such a clientele as they're ostensibly after. That is the subset that is supposed to reject shopping and fashion as virtues, isn't it?
    Its kind of like making an Atheist Church, or Small Caves for Claustrophobic People, or Vegetarian Meat Bar; pointless.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd just like to point out that a restaurant that advertised itself as a "Meat Bar" would be pretty much the best restaurant.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

26. - Top - End - #1466

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I'd just like to point out that a restaurant that advertised itself as a "Meat Bar" would be pretty much the best restaurant.
    It has everything a guy* likes to consume, alcohol and meat.

*All 3.35 billion of them. Even vegetarians and people who don't drink alcohol.
    Last edited by Eloi; 2010-06-22 at 02:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1467

NecromancerGuy

Its kind of like making an Atheist Church, or Small Caves for Claustrophobic People, or Vegetarian Meat Bar; pointless.
    Meat Bar? I'm trying to get a mental image imagination segue scene and failing here. I'm thinking Vegetarian or Vegan Steakhouse might fit better.

And a cursory google search reveals it's... either a modern form of pemmican, that is, prepared dried meat in bar form, or a meat-serving restaurant as opposed to the dairy serving one associated with it in Jewish/Israeli culture.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Yes I tend to indulge in hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian words which are subject to floccinaucinihilipilification, due to the masses being in a state of non-honorificabilitudinitatibus, but we should shun these linguistic counterrevolutionaries who have hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.
    It's hipopo, not hippopo. However, you managed to fit floccinaucinihilipilification into a sentence. With it making sense. Have an internet!

Also, what's non-honorificabilitudinitatibus?

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

It's hipopo, not hippopo.
    No, Eloi's got the right spelling according to Webster.

Also, what's non-honorificabilitudinitatibus?
    The opposite of this, obviously.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-06-22 at 03:35 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, fair enough. I thought otherwise.