New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

cool Optimizing UA Druid Variant (Pathfinder)

So I'm giving the Wildshape-less Druid a lookover from Unearthed Arcana...Gives up Wildshape for a bunch of Monk and Ranger abilities...Is it less powerful? Obviously...But I think it would fit my character flavor very well, which is a dinosaur-riding halfling archer (or war-slinger for Druid). Currently Ranger is what I've got statted, but the Druid spell list is so tempting, and the sub levels offerred in RoTW could make the char concept work quite well.

So what do you guys think? Is the Druid variant as a mounted warslinger/petmaster with solid spell backup a solid character in your opinions over a dedicated Ranger archer? The medium BAB worries me, but with spells like Wind Tunnel, Kelpstrands, Produce Flame for my pet and other buff/debuffs available...Could tip the balance. Especially when against a creature that laughs at my arrows. Favored Enemy helps...Full Animal Companion means not having to waste a feat on Natural Bond for a Fleshraker...I'm thinking Strongheart Halfling to get Point-Blank and Precise Shot right off the bat, then grab Deadly Aim, Mounted Combat/Archery, then Woodland Archer from RoTW.

Stats: Str: 14 Dex : 18 Con: 14 Int: 11 Wis: 17 Cha: 12 (after racial modifiers) Starting at 1st level, any printed WoTC material available so long as it can be converted to Pathfinder.
    Last edited by Drekk; 2010-04-09 at 07:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Optimizing UA Druid Variant (Pathfinder)

Even without wildshape, Druid > Ranger due to the better list of spells, more spells, higher level spells sooner, spells spells (see a trend here? ), and faster/better animal companion advancement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drekk View Post
    So I'm giving the Wildshape-less Druid a lookover from Unearthed Arcana...Gives up Wildshape for a bunch of Monk and Ranger abilities...Is it less powerful? Obviously...But I think it would fit my character flavor very well, which is a dinosaur-riding halfling archer (or war-slinger for Druid). Currently Ranger is what I've got statted, but the Druid spell list is so tempting, and the sub levels offerred in RoTW could make the char concept work quite well.

So what do you guys think? Is the Druid variant as a mounted warslinger/petmaster with solid spell backup a solid character in your opinions over a dedicated Ranger archer? The medium BAB worries me, but with spells like Wind Tunnel, Kelpstrands, Produce Flame for my pet and other buff/debuffs available...Could tip the balance. Especially when against a creature that laughs at my arrows. Favored Enemy helps...Full Animal Companion means not having to waste a feat on Natural Bond for a Fleshraker...I'm thinking Strongheart Halfling to get Point-Blank and Precise Shot right off the bat, then grab Deadly Aim, Mounted Combat/Archery, then Woodland Archer from RoTW.

Stats: Str: 14 Dex : 18 Con: 14 Int: 11 Wis: 17 Cha: 12 (after racial modifiers) Starting at 1st level, any printed WoTC material available so long as it can be converted to Pathfinder.
    Eh, it sounds to me like it fits your character concept very well, so I'd say go for it. The build sounds fine as well.

Wild shape was nerfed in PF anyhow, so you're giving up less than a 3.5 druid would lose, while favored enemy was buffed, so you gain more as well. Check with the DM if you can add favored territory to the list as well :P
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Well I talked to my DM and he said "go for it." So it sounds like I could very nearly out-Ranger a Ranger if I already have many of his best class abilities...Only thing is, the char wouldn't nearly be so great an archer since I miss out on all the bonus feats and full BAB. But yea, SPELLS!

Just have to decide whether I should go for the Halfling Warsling and get a partial Rapid Shot and Quick Draw, or actually take the weapon proficiency for the Longbow. Hum...Or maybe just relying on Shilleilagh and eventually Spikes+Brambles and going quarterstaff warrior/spellcaster/animal buffer, since being decent at archery takes so many feats. Opinions?
    Last edited by Drekk; 2010-04-11 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zen Archery (feat, CWar, gives you Wisdom instead of Dex to ranged attack rolls) and Owl's Insight (spell, SpC, gives you your caster level to Wisdom) make you a far better archer than someone with full BAB generally would be.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    Zen Archery (feat, CWar, gives you Wisdom instead of Dex to ranged attack rolls) and Owl's Insight (spell, SpC, gives you your caster level to Wisdom) make you a far better archer than someone with full BAB generally would be.
    It's actually half your caster level. But yeah, you can still out-archer the hell out of anyone without spells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Don't forget you'll get access to the Bite of X series, for a variety of benefits, including upping your Dex, Str, Con (all good options), and some natural armor. Just.... win.