New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Digger is now concluded

http://www.diggercomic.com/

I know that there's been the occasional Digger topic, but they seem to come and go. But the final page has just gone up, and it's time for all the Digger fans to come up out of the woodwork and give it a fond farewell. The world building was amazing, the art expressive, the characters enjoyable, and the story oddly compelling. I liked it, sad to see it go, but pleased that it ended well.

What do you think of it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Digger is now concluded

Coincidence: two great webcomics ended the same day: Digger and The Phoenix Requiem.

Concerning Digger, the end is a bit of a let-down for me; I'm not sure the poor little wombat has much left home to go back to, as everyone thinks her long dead -- most likely...

And what of Shadowchild/teen ? There is plenty left unresolved.

But as they say, even the longest tunnel has an end. Or something to that effect. Still, I for one shall miss this particular webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've spent about 15 minutes on this post, and I'm no closer to having anything remotely like what I want to say, so I'm just going to say what little I've got so far.

My favorite webcomic just ended.

I think that it ended satisfactorily, though I can't say for certain until I've done another archive binge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was a very good and unique webcomic.

I don't mind it ending, though. All stories should have an ending. Dragging the story out forever as some do just makes the comic go lame. This one ended where it should.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

A fitting end for an truly excellent webcomic. While seeing it end makes me a bit sad, I do believe in things ending when they should, and this was the time for Digger. Fare thee well, wombat.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

It ended with happiness and the heroes successful. And it was beautiful. I'm glad that it was created.
    I have a tendency to jump to conclusions. You'd think I'd learn not to while swimming back...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    I'm not sure the poor little wombat has much left home to go back to, as everyone thinks her long dead -- most likely...
    Wombats, however, are more practical than Hobbits.

Suddenly disappear in a world where the Gods can take you at whim to fulfill a prophecy? "Oh, dear, not again. Perhaps they'll be back in a year or two."

And what of Shadowchild/teen ? There is plenty left unresolved.
    But can be done without the titular wombat. Her part in Shadowchild's story is over. She's going home; Shadowchild's home is the forest around the Statue.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Wombats, however, are more practical than Hobbits.

Suddenly disappear in a world where the Gods can take you at whim to fulfill a prophecy? "Oh, dear, not again. Perhaps they'll be back in a year or two."

But can be done without the titular wombat. Her part in Shadowchild's story is over. She's going home; Shadowchild's home is the forest around the Statue.
    Yeah but shes not home yet. Sure they skipped the return trip of bilbo, but at least we got to find out what happened when he got home. Digger? We dont know what happened on this mysterious trip with a strange man traveling through strange places. We dont know what her reception back home will be like. It just kinda.... stops.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, we do, she, Digger, told us at one point. Basically, they assume if you haven't been back in a few weeks, you're dead from injury or starvation in some cave in or something.
    Also, Wombats for the past few hundred year have been immune to prophesy from gods and pretty much everything. Except slugs, slugs get through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Read this in one night since it was concluded. Over all very good. I felt the end was a little rushed at parts but also feel that drawing them out would have made things much worse. Over all...I can't say more because of board rules.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I still haven't removed it from my daily bookmarks. I found the comic late in its run, but I quite enjoyed it. Kind of reminded me of Bone, really, but had its own good points.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to see the various goodbyes if nothing else.

I loved reading Digger and am sad to see it end, but I agree this is a good point in the story, I guess I'd just like a bit more of a denouement than this.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-03-22 at 02:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

It says a lot about Ursula's talent that a story that began as a whim, became very engrossing. It shared equally wonderful writing and artwork, and finally concluded with a highly satisfying ending. Ms. Vernon is one of the greats that other webcomic artists should look up to.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I only found this comic because of this thread, but it was great. I really like when people find ways to end a long story without resorting to some kind of awful shakesperian-tragedy ripoff.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but I wanted to see Diggers home, how she adjusts to being back and how the fellow Wombats adjust to her being back and changed. I wanted more of a goodbye then this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Hell, the trip home alone could be a sequal. From the description, it will take them longer to get home, than digger spent hanging with ganesh. And they will be travelling through all sorts of unspeakable places, filled with incuriosities and such.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #17

PirateGuy

It's the best kind of author that leaves some story up to the imagination

18. - Top - End - #18

I found Digger via this thread and just read through the entire thing. What an incredible comic.

*Claps*
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I just bought the first volume. It's going to get lent out to people who don't like reading on the web...