New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibliography

1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    I love it! So, he's going to use the fire as a trap, and set off the sprinklers? That's my guess.
    Either that, or make everyone run as if there was a fire in the school.
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Of course, any feedback you guys can give me will go towards making the manga better. Characters, abilities, backgrounds, plotlines... whatever it is that you want to talk about, go ahead and hit me with it. Awesome ideas may be jacked.
    It's a little to early for most of that. There needs to be some solid grounding of the abilities and their costs (the supposed Author codex would have what for a cost? Everything you write being real?) before people can actually start suggesting abilities.

As for plot, it's clear that Ben's going to become a page, you dropped really big hints ("our world", both his parents and his uncle were pages and he knows nothing? Seriously?), and I feel compelled to chew you out for using such a cliche. Honestly I'd had the Uncle Awaken in response to Ben. After all the conditions aren't very well understood and are hugely different between people. Given his friendship with a jock and an... normal schoolgirl, there's going to be some confrontation when Eve Smith (also that's an obvious pseudonym that it can't be. A last name like Cooper or any of the "-son"s would be a better option).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    It's a little to early for most of that. There needs to be some solid grounding of the abilities and their costs (the supposed Author codex would have what for a cost? Everything you write being real?) before people can actually start suggesting abilities.
    Maybe he the Author has to "pay" something real to create a page (mix FMA with Inkheart - or maybe just Inkheart ). And yeah, it's too early for that. Can't resist speculating...
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

As for plot, it's clear that Ben's going to become a page, you dropped really big hints ("our world", both his parents and his uncle were pages and he knows nothing? Seriously?), and I feel compelled to chew you out for using such a cliche. Honestly I'd had the Uncle Awaken in response to Ben. After all the conditions aren't very well understood and are hugely different between people. Given his friendship with a jock and an... normal schoolgirl, there's going to be some confrontation when Eve Smith (also that's an obvious pseudonym that it can't be. A last name like Cooper or any of the "-son"s would be a better option).
    I don't want to give away too much but you're assuming a couple things. I'm not going to take abilities unless I really feel like they would work in the storyline - there's no guarantee that I will use that Codex.

Also, Ben's uncle has not been explicitly stated to be a Page yet. Pages aren't the only ones who know about their world.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome.

Just curious. Are the normals going to be completely oblivious, or are they actually going to be a bit suspicious of the wierd stuff happening around Benny?

And she has a Pikachu plushie! :3

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    I don't want to give away too much but you're assuming a couple things. I'm not going to take abilities unless I really feel like they would work in the storyline - there's no guarantee that I will use that Codex.
    We have three or four example codices and no knowledge of how much powers very between pages of the same codex (though this chapter was a big hint for the All-Seeing pages currently revealed with that the rogue draws power from fire), it would be hard to try to make more without more information, my point about the "Alpha" Codex was an example of that lack of knowledge.

Also, Ben's uncle has not been explicitly stated to be a Page yet. Pages aren't the only ones who know about their world.
    True, hinting dialogue isn't confirmation, but it's still suggestive.

And yeah it's a lot of assumption, but I tend to follow genre conventions when making predictions. This looks like it fits more into the Shonen categories than some of the others I could think of, but we're only 2 chapters in so I will refrain for the moment in making predictions beyond the blisteringly obvious. Ben's going to be a Page (unless Ben's uncle is something that is not a Page but can fight them on even ground, which would be a great little twist). There's likely going to be some romantic development between Ben and Eve (after all they did just go on their first date). Ben will end up fighting more Pages after beating this dude (Richard I think his name was). So on and so forth.

That I can predict this doesn't make this story predictable, it's just that I'm also writing a story which opens similar to your first chapter (though the genders are reversed and the story is meant to hit different genres, so it flows different).

Also you might want to think up some different outfits for Ben and Eve. They've been shown to wear the same thing three days in a row.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Also you might want to think up some different outfits for Ben and Eve. They've been shown to wear the same thing three days in a row.
    Thank you Mr. Zeful, now I don't have to look weird saying that I was dissapointed to see that Eve woke up in the same outfit. Ben strikes me as someone who would wear his outfit whenever he gets the chance (like I do), but Eve seems a lot more likely to have new outfits regularly. If it's an issue of reducing workload I'm fine, but I would like to see some alternate designs. Costume designing is fun anyway!

Otherwise I quite liked this chapter, though the ending is giving me Gantz flashbacks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, it's starting to get awesome now.
    I ship EveBen. But hey, I think that's intentional.

Good luck with more, I wanna read it. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I like it. I'm going to become a regular reader to this.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-04-19 at 09:36 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Thank you Mr. Zeful, now I don't have to look weird saying that I was dissapointed to see that Eve woke up in the same outfit.
    I actually chalked that up as her falling asleep in it. Apparently their date was just as exhausting for her as it was for Ben.

11. - Top - End - #71

It's a manga. Characters never change clothes in a manga. You'll get used to it .

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    It's a manga. Characters never change clothes in a manga. You'll get used to it .
    Actually that's Anime that sufferes from Limited Wardrobe rather than manga. The Ranma 1/2 Manga has most characters in at least 8 different outfits (which is a reasonable number). Mahou Sensei Negima has characters who vary outfits unless forced to. Kurohime, which is far more obscure, does tend to have a limited wardrobe, simply because everyone's moving from town to town. And the title character still ends up going through four very different outfits.

13. - Top - End - #73

Actually that's Anime that sufferes from Limited Wardrobe rather than manga. The Ranma 1/2 Manga has most characters in at least 8 different outfits (which is a reasonable number). Mahou Sensei Negima has characters who vary outfits unless forced to. Kurohime, which is far more obscure, does tend to have a limited wardrobe, simply because everyone's moving from town to town. And the title character still ends up going through four very different outfits.
    hahaha, okay, you caught me. I don't read much manga, but I do watch a lot of anime. Interesting to know. Why are animators so much lazier than manga artists?

edit: anyway, my original point was that it didn't really bother me all that much. plenty of comics do the same thing.
    Last edited by chionophile; 2010-04-19 at 03:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Because anime can have frames kept, but manga needs to be redone each time? (Guess)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Animators have to draw roughly 25 pictures for 1 second of animation. It's not so much laziness as it's they have to cut corners somewhere unless they have lax time constraints or a big budget (for more animators)

I don't mind that much either, I just want to see what else Elagune can come up with.

16. - Top - End - #76

Oh, I just change outfits when I get tired of them. Anthony's first jacket wasn't working for me, so I switched that around. And yeah, Ben's collar is starting to annoy me, so that might be changing soon too. And Eve's shirt is different! It's, uh, short-sleeved.

Nice catch Zersk. I love putting in little easter eggs in my comics.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Oh, I just change outfits when I get tired of them. Anthony's first jacket wasn't working for me, so I switched that around. And yeah, Ben's collar is starting to annoy me, so that might be changing soon too. And Eve's shirt is different! It's, uh, short-sleeved.
    I noticed that after looking through again, Eve wears some kind of big sweater the first two days, but after being woken up is shown in a large t-shirt.

Though sleeping with the collar on must be painful.

18. - Top - End - #78

Well, the collar's a pretty integral part of her design. I was actually more annoyed when I realized I had her sleep with her hair still up - missed a good chance to draw her with her hair down.

Anyway, yeah. I think I've got myself a schedule now. A chapter a week, on Sunday. It'll be just like Shounen Jump, except I've still got a long way to go.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Well, the collar's a pretty integral part of her design. I was actually more annoyed when I realized I had her sleep with her hair still up - missed a good chance to draw her with her hair down.

Anyway, yeah. I think I've got myself a schedule now. A chapter a week, on Sunday. It'll be just like Shounen Jump, except I've still got a long way to go.
    Yay! One more manga to check out on the weekends

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

True but it's not exactly a huge sin.

As for the collar, it's one of those things that tend to bug me about certain character design. It's stupid to sleep in. If Eve moves at all in her sleep she's going to have a mark on her throat where she on her stomach. It's the same with characters with long hair sleeping on it. It's not comfortable (or in one memorable instance, potentially lethal) to sleep on.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Depends how soft the collar is.
    And I sleep on my long hair all the time.

22. - Top - End - #82

Same here, I've slept with my long hair plenty of times (although sometimes I do make it sleep on the couch ), and collars have never been that uncomfortable for me, personally.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The site has become very slow for me and I can't read the comic. Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Never mind.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-04-24 at 07:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Just finished Chapter 3. Sending it to the guy who runs the site now.

This weekly thing is exhausting, but it's kind of fun too. Keeps me productive.

Anywho, I'm going to collapse now. Night.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

about that website, could anyone host a manga webcomic on there? do you need to pay for it? i know a guy who's looking for a website for his own manga.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

There's likely going to be some romantic development between Ben and Eve (after all they did just go on their first date).
    Or that everyone assumes they are is going to be a running gag

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

This weekly thing is exhausting
    Why do you think manga-ka are so respected in Japan?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Why do you think manga-ka are so respected in Japan?
    i thought those chapters were written a few weeks in advance

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

You should ask the guys who hosts the site what's the best way to send comic updates to him. Maybe then he'll update faster.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #90

Hey, looks like he's updated. Much faster than before.

As for hosting manga on their site, you should probably ask on the forums. It's kind of inactive right now, but the GMs are always there, so you'll probably get your questions answered really quickly. One of the guys saw my work and invited me, which is how Bibliography got started up.