New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Star Ocean - The Last Hope

I picked up Star Ocean - The Last Hope (X-Box 360 version) a while back and am about to start it. Has anyone played this game? If so, what did you think of it? Any tips or tricks that I should know (other than read the manual first)? Also, what did you do in your game when you played it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Star Ocean - The Last Hope

It's... alright.

The story has a hefty dose of animu melodrama bollocks, but is more space opera than Star Ocean 3.

One thing I would suggest is to turn the difficulty up as high as the game will let you. It might seem like this will kick your ass, and it will at first, but basically as soon as I left the first planet on Normal I was free to ignore all of the fancy combat techniques and just spam special moves and normal attacks to win.

Like the rest of the Star Ocean games (and Infinite Undiscovery), go in expecting a fun combat system and item crafting system held together by a ropy plot and you won't be let down. Go in expecting a mindblowing story and you'll be confused and annoyed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah. Thanks for the advice. ~grins~ Well, if I get a few hours of fun, then it will have been worth it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So what game for the X-Box is similar to Star Ocean but has a better storyline?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Uh. Closest you're likely to get is Tales of Vesperia, in that it's a JRPG with an action based combat engine. The storyline is still nothing special though, which is a discussion I've hashed over with various people entirely too many times on this forum to go into again now, but suffice to say it's markedly better than the low bar set by Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sharoth View Post
    So what game for the X-Box is similar to Star Ocean but has a better storyline?
    Well, I have no idea if it's similar to Star Ocean - Last Hope as I haven't played that, but I would highly recommend Blue Dragon. I loved Blue Dragon, felt it had a fun combat system, and more importantly, an excellent storyline. Hell, it was good enough that it is literally the first RPG I have ever gotten my wife to not only watch, but actually PLAY(To the extent, that she would complain that it was her turn 5 minutes after I had the controller). ^^
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-10 at 12:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Blue Dragon also has Norio Wakamoto hamming it all the way up as the villain (if you put the voices into Japanese).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well then, are there any games like Disgaea for the X-Box 360?