New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress III: Instant Fun : Just Add Magma

GAAAH
    A pair of ambushes came, and decimated my fortress. WHY IS THEIR AI SO BAD. On the plus side, the caravan that was wiped out left all their goods, so free stuff for me.

Edit: Is it normal for Elven Recruits to be intermingled with the Goblin invaders?
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2010-09-11 at 10:14 PM. Reason: ELVES!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    GAAAH
    A pair of ambushes came, and decimated my fortress. WHY IS THEIR AI SO BAD. On the plus side, the caravan that was wiped out left all their goods, so free stuff for me.

Edit: Is it normal for Elven Recruits to be intermingled with the Goblin invaders?
    Considering that Goblins frequently baby snatch, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #513

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Considering that Goblins frequently baby snatch, yeah.
    Consistently? I think there's been an Elf in nearly every ambush...

Edit: Zom Stasostsumtu Snokuzzedan is their general/Elf recruit. Strange tidings indeed. Have I stumbled upon the Cacame Awemedinade of Goblins? Frightening thought indeed.
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2010-09-12 at 12:05 AM. Reason: EELLLVVVVVESSS

4. - Top - End - #514

Consistently? I think there's been an Elf in nearly every ambush...

Edit: Zom Stasostsumtu Snokuzzedan is their general/Elf recruit. Strange tidings indeed. Have I stumbled upon the Cacame Awemedinade of Goblins? Frightening thought indeed.
    The really fun thing is that there might not be any real goblins left in the goblin civ. As such, every time the game needs a real historical figure, it ends up grabbing some other race.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

5. - Top - End - #515

The really fun thing is that there might not be any real goblins left in the goblin civ. As such, every time the game needs a real historical figure, it ends up grabbing some other race.
    The king of goblins is still a goblin, so I'm pretty sure they haven't been wiped out. Also, where would the ambushes come from? I don't think ambushes are spontaneously generated. Still, strange that the goblins have an elf as their general, with elves in the ranks of their soldiers.

6. - Top - End - #516

The king of goblins is still a goblin, so I'm pretty sure they haven't been wiped out. Also, where would the ambushes come from? I don't think ambushes are spontaneously generated. Still, strange that the goblins have an elf as their general, with elves in the ranks of their soldiers.
    For the time being, ambushes ARE just generated, except for historical figures that are leaders some times.

If you are getting more than 1 elf per ambush party, you have found something outside my experience.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

For the time being, ambushes ARE just generated, except for historical figures that are leaders some times.

If you are getting more than 1 elf per ambush party, you have found something outside my experience.
    Ok, so that's why kidnapped elves/humans/dorfs show up only as ambush leaders while the rest of the ambush is always goblins. Interesting.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

In any kind of siege or ambush, all combatants are created ex nihilo. Squad leaders may or may not be created ex nihilo.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

9. - Top - End - #519

An update has been announced:
    09/15/2010: Released Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone have any tips for creating a functional military. I designate a squad to get equipped with training weapons, and then equip them with proper weapons once they've learned to use them a bit. But then they go and get slaughtered by the first goblin to walk through my gates. I find myself being forced to rely solely on traps and bridges to protect myself.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for creating a functional military. I designate a squad to get equipped with training weapons, and then equip them with proper weapons once they've learned to use them a bit. But then they go and get slaughtered by the first goblin to walk through my gates. I find myself being forced to rely solely on traps and bridges to protect myself.
    Wardogs. Much more reliable. Other than that, just have all your dwarves retreat to your fortress, and let the goblins gib themselves on your traps.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Started playing a few times, but could never get my dorfs to mine so they just died at the starting camp.

13. - Top - End - #523

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Don't use training weapons: instead ensure that your military is entirely armed and armored, and then set them to train at a barracks. I have never had my entire army withstand a gobbo invasion, but then I have never managed to get my army armored before the gobbos show up.

Also, don't use iron or copper weapons unless you absolutely have to. Bronze and steel are much, much better.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2010-09-16 at 03:54 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranielle View Post
    Started playing a few times, but could never get my dorfs to mine so they just died at the starting camp.
    You need one pick (material doesn't matter) and enable mining on at least one of your dwarves.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

And you can also build everything you need to keep your dwarves alive aboveground, if you want to; it's often a good plan to do that to get them started while you excavate more permanent residences.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Well you have to dig if you want stone or ore. Otherwise your only building material is wood and that isn't firesafe so no glass or other furnaces.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Well you have to dig if you want stone or ore. Otherwise your only building material is wood and that isn't firesafe so no glass or other furnaces.
    Well, you don't actually need furnaces to just keep the dwarves from starving to death, do you?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are just trying to avoid starvation, you can just gather plants. You still need to get building materials one way or another. That means you need to dig or cut down trees. Both of those requires something to start with.

I suppose you could do the minimum start. If you have coal deposits, you can get everything you could ever need by embarking with 1 metal ore and 1 anvil. If you don't have any coal deposits, you need 2 metal ores.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone have any tips for underwater basket weaving and other more constructive dwarven tasks?

For my 2nd fortress I picked a map with an aquifer, thinking it would help solve the well woes I had with my first fortress. They survey team warned that there might be mining difficulties, but since the plan was to run a leather industry for trade goods and use skyscrapers for housing I wasn't too worried.

Only trouble is "difficult stone extraction" appears to have been an understatement. I haven't been able to mine a single rock to make a mechanism with: Just lots and lots of damp sand, damp clay, and damp loam. So far I've got one stone block I bought off a passing caravan. I'm starting to think I may have to mine through the aquifer(s), which will probably be Fun.

So, any tips on underwater mining or advanced pump construction?

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

A few ways to breach an aquifer.

1.) Cave in method. Cave in the layer of soil above it into the aquifer level. You will be able to dig through the "plug"

2.) Freeze Method. Channel out an area and wait for it to freeze. Mine out the frozen stuff and replace it with wooden walls (or stone, but wood is easier to come by).

3.) Magma Method. Not really feasible now that magma pipes don't really exist anymore. But pour in magma to a channeled out aquifer to create an Obsidian Hole.

4.) Moses Method: Lots of pumps and windmills will let you remove the water enough so you can dam up the aquifer.

5.) Vein Breach. You gotta be pretty lucky, but if you can find a vein or large cluster of a non-aquifer metal/gem in the aquifer, you can go through that to breach it. Really only applies to stone aquifers like chalk. Pretty hard to do that on a soil aquifer. Only problem is you need mechanisms for that and they can be hard to come by. Just ask for lots of different light stones (not blocks). You can also ask for metal bars since in 31.x you can make mechanisms from metal.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2010-09-17 at 12:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531

Multiple layer aquifers are much harder to work through, though if the entire aquifer is stone, it becomes much easier.

In a recent fort, I had 2 layers of soil aquifer. I proceeded through the first one really, really fast. It probably took me all of an in game month to get through.

The second layer, on the other hand, took me something closer to 2 in game years to get through. It took forever. Partially this was because I was doing it wrong, but it was also because building walls in wet places does not work well.

On the other hand, piercing stone aquifers is fiendishly easy. Just dig out your stair and some space for pumps on every side. Since aquifers absorb water as fast as you can dump it into them, this makes for a very powerful system, especially because it can be used to go down an arbitrary number of levels just by flipping all the pumps, smoothing the area that was being used as drainage, and then digging out the level below exactly like the level above.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2010-09-17 at 02:57 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    Only trouble is "difficult stone extraction" appears to have been an understatement. I haven't been able to mine a single rock to make a mechanism with: Just lots and lots of damp sand, damp clay, and damp loam. So far I've got one stone block I bought off a passing caravan. I'm starting to think I may have to mine through the aquifer(s), which will probably be Fun.
    Another possibility: Get plenty of Charcoal. If the map has forests (and wet areas usually do), you can cut down trees, and burn the lumber to make Charcoal. Then collect sand and put the Charcoal+Sand through Glass Forges to make glass blocks. Glass blocks can be used to do almost everything that stone blocks can.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

23. - Top - End - #533

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Another possibility: Get plenty of Charcoal. If the map has forests (and wet areas usually do), you can cut down trees, and burn the lumber to make Charcoal. Then collect sand and put the Charcoal+Sand through Glass Forges to make glass blocks. Glass blocks can be used to do almost everything that stone blocks can.
    He still needs to get stone to start that process.

On the other hand, if you prepare carefully, then bringing a dozen or so raw stone is probably a really, really good idea.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm working with two adjacent multilevel aquifers in soil. It's a river/canyon system, with the occasional dry crack. The deepest dig site managed to make it 2 levels or so below the river before getting blocked, and found unmarked damp earth on 4+ z-levels. I'm a little worried about pressure effects whenever I finally do tap into it.

Luckily I did start with enough stone (2) to start a glass industry, so block construction isn't a worry. I'm just missing mechanisms. No traps, no levers, etc. I also started with a breading pair of dogs, so I may try using tethered war dogs to take the place of traps once the puppies grow. Just hope those live longer than the captured Rhesus macaque i tried to use last time.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

25. - Top - End - #535

Has, ah, anyone come up with something more sick and horrible than the mermaid breeding farm yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #536

Decided to start trying to learn this game earlier today, so I scribbled down an idea for an irrigation system for a farm. I'm concerned it's not dwarfy (Read: Needlessly overcomplicated and prone to spectacular and catastrophic failure) enough.

Also, mining straight upwards. Can it be done? And how do I go about placing pumps in a vertical shaft?

Edit: Rotated picture so that only the scribblings on the left require head-tilting.
    Last edited by Blayze; 2010-09-22 at 06:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

You can mine a set of stairs straight up no problem. I've not much experience with pumpstacks. All of my pumping was pretty much in 40d when I took water from an underground river to pump it to a well and to flood an area for a tree farm.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Decided to start trying to learn this game earlier today, so I scribbled down an idea for an irrigation system for a farm. I'm concerned it's not dwarfy (Read: Needlessly overcomplicated and prone to spectacular and catastrophic failure) enough.

Also, mining straight upwards. Can it be done? And how do I go about placing pumps in a vertical shaft?

Edit: Rotated picture so that only the scribblings on the left require head-tilting.
    Looks like it should work (assuming everything goes right.) It should be noted, though, that water won't pressurize on its own in DF- if you pump water into the bottom of a 10 Z-level high shaft from the side with nowhere for it to go but up, it won't fill up. If you want to raise it, you'll have to build a pump on the level above, hence pump stacks.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are really worried about pressure, make a shaft that leads to the edge of the map. Then carve fortifications on the edge. Water can drain off through there. Just keep in mind that anything pushed by the water into the fortifications will forever be inaccessible.

30. - Top - End - #540

"Okay, now all I have to do is wait until the water spreads out far enough and build the Farm Plot th--STOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!"

So yeah, learned I have to get rid of things that are in the way. Stockpiles to the rescue!