New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress III: Instant Fun : Just Add Magma

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    There's a bug in the current .18 version, as far as I'm aware. To get rid of that message completely, forbid all soap that's not currently inside your hospital stockpiles.
    Any easy way for me to locate it all?

EDIT: I've never been any good at using the stocks page.
    Last edited by MonarchAnarch; 2010-12-31 at 12:12 PM.
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I would say it mostly makes you sick, unless you spend a lot of time in it or you're in an Evil biome.
    I'll meet in the middle and say that Evil biome mutations in sewage would be okay, i just never really heard of sewage causing mutations. I've read stuff about people in sewers being mutated, but it's usually because of a third factor like radiated stuff being poured down the sink at a nuclear facility or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    Any easy way for me to locate it all?

EDIT: I've never been any good at using the stocks page.
    I hate to say it though, but your best bet to find it all is the stocks page. I'll admit that it's hard to find anything on there, but that's the best way to find all of everything on your fort unless you make a stockpile for it which.....i don't work with soap much so i'm not sure what that would be under.

I would have to say that a search function in the stocks would be a very good thing to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

Soap is a bar, which listing is about two pages down.

Make sure your bookkeeper has things up to date or you won't be able to find anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

How many other people here celebrated Goblin Christmas over The Holidays?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    How many other people here celebrated Goblin Christmas over The Holidays?
    I had only one Goblin Christmas this year surprisingly; My dwarfs have celebrated Goblin Christmas seasonally for the last two years or so, but for some odd reason this past year there was only one.

Of course there were three bad dwarfs, but they got taken care of handily.

No sign of Goblin Claus himself, but there were several of his helpers there...

6. - Top - End - #756

I just modded blood and ichor to have the [EDIBLE_COOKED] tag. Hello, Worm Ichor Roasts!

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally a use for those barrels of ichor and blood.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

8. - Top - End - #758

Not only that, but it makes butchery even more efficient.

DELICIOUS. We must now saute prepared cow brains with goblin blood. It shall make the children strong, like Dwarven bear.

Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

9. - Top - End - #759

Hey, hey guys, I just cut out someone's guts, and he lived, and now his description says "His guts is gone".

Thanks for existing.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

This raises a rather odd question... If they don't need guts to live, why the hell are my Dwarves always wasting so much time eating?

11. - Top - End - #761

Well, they need them eventually, I think...

... Or do they? We must test it.

One group gets steak, and nothing to drink.
    The next gets Plump Helmets and water.
    The next gets some kind of Elven vegetable and booze.
    The fourth gets only Dwarven Ale and no food.
    The fifth is the control, that has neither food nor drink. Just dirty water.

Science; Why Not?
    Thanks for existing.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    This raises a rather odd question... If they don't need guts to live, why the hell are my Dwarves always wasting so much time eating?
    All dietary nutrients are absorbed through their beards.

13. - Top - End - #763

Well, they need them eventually, I think...

... Or do they? We must test it.

One group gets steak, and nothing to drink.
    The next gets Plump Helmets and water.
    The next gets some kind of Elven vegetable and booze.
    The fourth gets only Dwarven Ale and no food.
    The fifth is the control, that has neither food nor drink. Just dirty water.

Science; Why Not?
    Dwarf-Tec?
    Last edited by Blayze; 2011-01-13 at 06:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Dwarf-Tec?
    No, no this is just Dwarf-Test. Dwarf-Tec is a continent-spanning, government-funded, coal-powered factory that produces steam pistons, axes and beard-grease.

Wait, that hasn't been established yet. Forget that last statement.

*Ahem* - Anyhow, I needs me some minor help. I'm making a mod that I call "Nightmare Mode". In it, you control a penal colony of exiled Dwarven criminals and their 'equally guilty' descendants, and the world is chock-full of horrors designed to make you feel pathetic and powerless.

... Well, more pathetic and powerless than Savage maps already impose.

As for the aforementioned help, the Exiles are regularly shaven in order to make them feel less manly. Anyone know how to make them all be bald with shaven beards?
    Thanks for existing.

15. - Top - End - #765

Somewhere in the game files is a bit of code for beard length, I think. I guess you need to find it and edit it appropriately.

After looking through the RAWS for creature_standard, under the entry for Dwarf, there is a body detail plan for facial tissue. If you remove that line, your dwarves should stop growing beards. Likewise, there is another line for hair that you can remove.
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2011-01-13 at 07:44 PM. Reason: !!SCIENCE!!

16. - Top - End - #766

I found the entity's "[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:" and set it to "0:NONE]".

If I read the damn entry right, that means they'll maintain utter baldness, representing their oppression and robbing them of the last good luck charm they had left.

Well, at least they don't tolerate it for long. Not only did I make the Dwarves more oppressive, but the Exiles' ethics are pretty extreme (slavery is acceptable, and they send out item thieves). If I work it like I plan to, the Exiles will be somewhat likely to fight the Dwarves, but not indefinitely. Of course, such a conflict results from either the Exiles rebelling, or from the Dwarves seeking to withdraw their investment.

Not that it's a good idea to war, what with the beasts and all. There'll also be roving collections of "plaguebearers" - humanoids that breathe, secrete, and bleed toxic disease-agents. They're also more-or-less undead (though from what, I can't speculate), and even destroying the head doesn't work to completely kill them.

Super "FUN" factory powers go!
    Thanks for existing.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm starting out a new fortress and I'm trying to plan the design out in advance. I have a lovely river that I'd like to turn into a waterfall for my dwarves. I've made a waterfall before, that's not an issue. However, I want to pump the water back up. I'm planning on making a dozen or so level pump stack. I've seen the designs, but I've never actually done that part before. Is there a convenient guide laying around that someone could point out to me? Also, at what rate does the pump move the water?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Er, silly question: since it's a river and will be constantly replenished from the edge of the map anyway, why do you need to pump the water back up?

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Er, silly question: since it's a river and will be constantly replenished from the edge of the map anyway, why do you need to pump the water back up?
    I'm not worried about getting the water, I'm more worried about where it goes. Last time I was emptying it into an underground cavern, but wouldn't it be possible for it to eventually fill up?

20. - Top - End - #770

Not if there's a chasm or sink. In fact, the latter constantly drains some water from underground rivers.

Also, unless it's been changed since the previous version, aquifers should have both an infinite capacity and infinite supply of water. Careful with those, though, I've heard stories about water flooding before it leveled out before, and that would be a very -fun- thing indeed with a river's supply.
    Thanks for existing.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, you can drain the water from the river off the map in a cavern with no problems. I did it once (once was enough, considering how hard it screwed my FPS.)

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I'm not worried about getting the water, I'm more worried about where it goes. Last time I was emptying it into an underground cavern, but wouldn't it be possible for it to eventually fill up?
    If I recall correctly, caverns that reach the map edges can serve as an endless sink for water, and caverns already filled with water at the map edge will constantly refill with water. You can also just carve fortifications into the rock walls at the edge for a disposal grate anywhere.

I used to have the first trap on the entryway into my fort be sloped up and down, from the highest level at which I could build a water resevoir to about a dozen z-levels below that, at which point they continued into a sheer drop as the path went around and back up. Pressure plates at the lattermost sections would trigger on goblin footsteps and rinse the entryway of everything light enough to move, dropping it neatly into the fortress sewer/firing range/catapult training center/noble prison/Forgotten Beast blood syndrome test pool. The water would then drain out into a cavern edge with no problems.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2011-01-24 at 08:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Mining to the edge of the map and then smoothing and carving fortifications from those unminable edge tiles does work. Plus with the way pressure works, you don't have to worry about flooding at all. I've had several diverted creeks/rivers flow into my fort for a lovely misting waterfall and then drain off the edge of the map.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well, I spent several days planning out my fortress for maximum efficiency and beauty, then when I finally got down to building it turns out there was an aquifer right underneath everything. Did not count on that. I guess I'll start a new fortress that I can apply my plans to.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't you notice the aquifer in the embark screen?

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Apparently not. I was searching for a place without an aquifer and thought I had found one, but I guess I was completely wrong. I guess I just missed the notification somehow.

27. - Top - End - #777

Currently playing the Fortress Defense Mod, which apparently adds 10 new siege-races into the mix. Consequently, I'm designing the largest fortress I ever have.

It's cut directly into the center of the mountain, minimizing the number of sides to defend and taking advantage of the stone to lessen worktime. From the entrance, there is first a short trap/defensive corridor, followed by an up-staircase resulting in a conical room with a fortified natural wall at the other end. The room will be at least 3 Z-levels tall, allowing many archers to pepper the enemy with bolts while the melee defenders take advantage of the cone to force enemies into disadvantage (you can fit more Dwarves-per-rank than the enemies toward the tapering end).

There will also be an underground outpost near the top of the mountain, containing the Trade Depot and a long, trap-filled tunnel that leads to the cone-room. The Depot and the entrance will be guarded by a drawbridge and a short tower full of archers (the entrance of which is next to the Depot itself).

Eventually, I'll put strategic pillboxes on the side of the mountain. They'll form a web of crossfire and a small army of axedwarves, and each level's boxes will be linked together, with the entrances linking like tributaries and ending in a space right behind the fortress wall.

There will also be at least one underground hospital, linked directly to certain junctions in the pillbox tunnels.

Each pillbox, the wall, the outpost, and the hospital(s) will have a personal stash of food and booze, as well as beds. Dwarves will be able to devote almost every second to defense, if sometimes passively.

And I'm also going to work on some way to rig an internal water supply through to some wells in the (currently) lowest layer, which of course will provide a method for underground farms.

The only problem is wood. Trees are only growing at the base of the mountain, which means that I'll have to either risk my woodsdwarves' asses, or put a hole in my defense, in order to gather it reliably. Unless I'm on a cavern, I suppose... I was too busy looking for cliffs to build in to check for that.

Not to mention that until I have enough Dwarves to police the entire network I'll be forced to limit myself. I'll probably build a temporary Depot at the base of the mountain.

Worryingly, I don't think this defense will hold out forever. The final enemy of the Mod (the Nightwings) are tough, strong, flying monstrosities, and because of their wings, I cannot bar them from simply attacking my otherwise well-defended archers. What's more, anything with a ranged attack will wreak havoc on my pillboxes (which is why the hospitals will be there).

I'll also need a massive amount of dogs, with enough chained at the entrance (and assigned to squads) to keep thieves away. And on top of that, I'll want enough to kill the offender quickly to avoid loss of said canines.

Also, if I survive the Nightwings, I'll make an underground fortress-and-trap gauntlet and try my hand at the Clowns.

But then, if it were foolproof I'd be doing something wrong. It is DF, after all.

It's gonna be fun, ya'll!

EDIT: ALSO, I'm going to pave all the major hallways like roads. Like an indoor city.

EDIT the 2nd: It just occurred to me that water will take a while to get. I'll have to build an elaborate water-pumping labyrinth within the mountain (which itself will be intertwined with the pillbox tunnels) to get water into the fort. I'll have to manually bring water up to the farms, build lower farms, or risk farming outside. I'm employing the first, but it's taking ages and I'm not entirely confident that it'll result in enough squares to farm on. I may have to designate small farms that together cover the area of a larger farm.

In order to get that much water to begin with, I'll have to include internal reservoirs to store huge quantities, which will take forever. I'm also going to have to dig out a massive external reservoir at the base of the mountain, as I have no river or aquifer.

If there is a cavern or underground river, I'll be able to exploit the water in it. The only issue is that I'll need several grates, some floodgates, and possibly a small defensive emplacement to insure myself against swimmers. On that note, I'll need a reverse-fortified position outside of the fort in order to insure that no beasts (especially the Forgotten ones) get into a position I can't hold.

But even if I make the external, I'll need floodgates to keep potential swimmers out (I'm assuming that something bad can swim).

Either path will result in a personal water supply for the fortress and each field-hospital.

Also, once I hit a very large amount of Dwarves, I'll assign designated Deliverydwarves to carry materials into the various stockpiles of the fort unhindered by other work (that is, they'll be the combination waiters/janitors of the place).

And my entire plan hinges on one aspect I don't know if I can ensure. Surviving long enough to carry it out.

Last edited by Arachu; 2011-01-27 at 09:46 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to see that fort. Could you periodically upload it to the DFFD?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's gonna be fun, ya'll!
    It certainly sounds like it's going to be a Fun ride....

I had an interesting experience today in Dwarf Fortress.

The current fortress that i'm working on is the largest one that i've ever had. Currently i'm doing fairly well with sieges. My defenses are set up basically like a Motte and Bailey castle.
    Spoiler
    Show

With the exception that the raised land is actually just a tower and the moat on it actually only covers the front portion(so it doesn't flood the upper levels of my fort). Well, i was lucky because i decided around the second year to open up my first cavern so i could gather trees and use the muddied soil for extra crop production. Somehow i managed to miss the first two Cavern layers and break into the third. I wasn't paying attention to what kind of trees i had and didn't notice that it was the third layer until i found the Magical Blue Metal. Turns out it was a Spire in the middle of a lake at the edge of the map. So i build a bridge over and start mining and everything goes really well. A few years passed and the goblins want my shiny Blue Metal so i'm dealing with sieges which isn't a problem since my army is fully armored up in the stuff.
    Now the trouble started today. I started getting messages that Crundles were bothering my miners. They didn't kill any, but they prevented their most holy duty. So i order my military down to guard the mining platform. Now that could have been disastrous to have my military fighting with water all around them because of their habit of dodging in places they shouldn't, but fortunately i didn't lose a single dorf to the deep. After all the Crundles are dead my soldier dwarfs start milling about, keeping an eye on the miners. Suddenly two of them jump into the lake and then another and another. Then i see some kind of white liquid appear on the waters surface. I go to the bottom Z-level. Here a dozen Creeping Eyes wandered into the map from underwater in the lake and my dwarfs, Genius's as they are jumped in to defeat them! Now for those who don't know, Creeping Eyes aren't dangerous, but the dangerous part was the underwater battle happening. I think by the end of the disaster i lost 5 of my Magical Blue Armored Dwarfs just from drowning. And then not 2 minutes later a siege hit. Fortunately my marksdwarfs managed to handle that...even though they did get in and kill my legendary Boyer.

So it's kind of a mess right now. I lost half of my Masterwork good armor. This streak of bad luck may continue and cause The End, but it was amusing and quite Fun.

By the way, does anyone know if water drains off the map faster than it drains onto it. I have to get my dorfcorpses out before i get ghosts...and i know of a good spot to drain it, i'm just unsure if it drains faster than it replenishes.

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    I'd like to see that fort. Could you periodically upload it to the DFFD?
    Sounds like a useful way to feed my ever-growing ego receive advice on what I'm screwing up. I'll figure out how to do it

... How do I do it? Do I upload the whole folder, or just a file within it?

(I think I'll name it something dramatic - like "Apocalypse Holdout; Fortress Defense (Normal) Let's Play".

Okay, maybe not that dramatic...

Maybe just the name (that I currently forget) followed by "; the Story of those Dwarves who managed to Get Their Behindises Kicked from behind a Defense we Thought Impenetrable".)

... Also, I tip my hat to Leecros' design, and solemnly hold it to my chest for the loss of those perchance-too-brave Dwarves. It reminds me of countless Adventurers I have lost due to fighting things that shouldn't be able to swim.

:distantsadfaceduetomemories:
    Thanks for existing.