New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,492 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress III: Instant Fun : Just Add Magma

Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where you could suggest an obscure geology joke for a thread title and get such an excited reply.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

So... in my present world the plan was first to find a nice spot with both a river and a volcano, then dig the hell out of the surface and basically create a valley a la the exposed caverns bug by hand, but instead I found a volcano next to a freshwater lake that was also an extreme cliff so that kind of went out the window. Also there are giant badgers who killed one of my miners right off the bat.

This embark is Fun already.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2011-08-10 at 04:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

Dwarf Fortress IV: Urist McDwarf cancels post in thread: Too insane.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    This
    I actually loled when I read it
    Welcome my son, Welcome to the machine!
    "Laws ussualy get in the way of Justice" Jaidee, the Tiger of Bankok, The Windup Girl

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Seconded.

Reminds me of one of my old forts, where some random fauna wandered into my fort and I got about five pages of "Urist McDumbass cancels Eat: interrupted by Capybara"
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Dwarf in the Playground

MMM... guys, I know that we are about to move to a different thread and all, but could I make a little proposal?
    let's make a collective let's play!
    we could use the default rules for this sort of thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone has a turn, and said turn is one year in command of the fortress. That means, when you see Spring has Come! on your screen, then you save the game, upload it to mediafire or dropbox or whatever and the next player runs with the save. You can't intentionally destroy the fortress, but you can fail if you just can't keep up. You don't have to be a good player to take a part in the fortress, hell, it can be your first time!. the whole prelude thing we decide by vote (where we settle, what we bring and all that). you don't have to follow the previous ruler ideas or anything, but you can if you want, and you can openly criticize the poor old fellow's soul, just not to harshly

If you don't like the rules we can change them to fit everyone's needs.
    and don't forget: losing is fun!
    "Laws ussualy get in the way of Justice" Jaidee, the Tiger of Bankok, The Windup Girl

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean a succession fort? Like the one that died like a month ago?

Yeah, I'd be up for a new one.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Dwarf in the Playground

oh, I didn't knew we once had a fort!

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Its going through its death throes of save file corruption, lack on interest, and massive FPS problems.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Its going through its death throes of save file corruption, lack on interest, and massive FPS problems.
    More or less.

Time for a new fort/thread?

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    More or less.

Time for a new fort/thread?
    Both sound good to me.
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

12. - Top - End - #1482

I'll join again if we're using a graphics pack. If it's ASCII it's a bit too much for me.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is a mohawk of hair. It is masterfully crafted. It menaces with spikes of hair.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ettin in the Playground

So. I have a question now that I am actively playing this at the moment.

HOW TO FIND IRON?

Embark screen says I have Deep Metals. How deep are we precisely talking about?

I want my steel-clad army of doom now!

EDIT: To elaborate, I embarked next to a volcano with flux stones, sand and clay. While this made smelting and refining easy, I don't even have the raw materials to smelt to begin with.

Well, at least weapon traps laden with green glass serrated blades are mincing up goblins nicely. A hassle to clean up the mess afterwards though.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-09-08 at 02:53 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Deep metals don't necessarily mean iron will be present. In fact, since iron normally shows up in sedimentary rock, you're better off looking for shallow metals. But metal can mean any metal ore so... If there's no iron, you're out of luck. Try getting the merchants to bring some iron bars, you can use your own forges to turn them into steel.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    Deep metals don't necessarily mean iron will be present. In fact, since iron normally shows up in sedimentary rock, you're better off looking for shallow metals. But metal can mean any metal ore so... If there's no iron, you're out of luck. Try getting the merchants to bring some iron bars, you can use your own forges to turn them into steel.
    Frustatingly, they have every bar available but iron. No, not even iron ore.

They do have pitchblende, but unfortunately dwarven science have not found out how to harness uranium yet.

Going to need to rely on a goblin christmas for my iron/steel needs now.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You can always mine goblins for iron.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok DF lovers..two things.

1. DO NOT let the ponies win! This game is about DWARVES. Not horses. Horses are food! They can't even swing a pick! Don't let Pony Fort win!

2. I found a site that I love on a new game, but due to the nature of the fort and my..FUN..I've had to do reclaim the same spot twice. On my second reclaim, I lost the ability to use plump helmets. I have seeds, no option to plant them. When my first dwarven caravan rolled in - no plump helmets. They seem to not be in existance. Wierd glitch or punishment for 2 reclaims?
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Firbolg in the Playground

Your civilization lost all of their Plump Helmet reserves. Silly fools should have sent seeds to those dudes in Norway.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

So being page 50 and all:

New thread!

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Ogre in the Playground

I got the rest done today (narrowly avoiding flooding the entire fort with magma) but unfortunately the computer crashed before I saved. Hopefully should get it done again tomorrow. Some of the highlights form the first few months of what would have happened:

Spoiler
    Show
    12th Hematite: We finally completed that dining hall today. Thankfully with the deaths of no more dwarves. It shows what improvements can be made when you follow the basic health and safety requirements. I've ordered the miners to begin making their way to the magma sea so that we can begin harvesting those veins of adamantine.

22nd Hematite, 107: Aban Uristlocun, one of our bonesaws, seemed to be acting a bit withdrawn when I saw him this morning. He said he was "thinking". I'm not sure I like that.

23rd Hematite, 107: Uristlocun claimed a workshop today. He said he was planning on creating a monument to dwarvenkind. Sine the fortress seems quiet enough I might as well let him get on with it.

25th Hematite, 107: Zaneg Eshtanetar has given birth to a boy. Since she filled in the correct forms, I've refrained from dropping the child in the volcano.

28th Hematite, 107: Uristlocun finally started work on his construction. When I looked in he had a surprising amount of wood in there, along with some steel, bismuth bronze, leather, spider silk and obsidian. He refuses to tell anyone what he's making though.

1st Malachite, 107: It's started snowing heavily outside, we can barely see a foot from the fortress entrance.

3rd Malachite, 107: I'm wondering if the legends about adamantine attracting monsters are true. During a break in the snowstorm today one of the guards spotted a monstrous creature descending on the fortress, it's the Cyclops Estraz Todslatsu Ukustzogast.

4th Malachite, 107: The cyclops blundered in to a cage trap. That was rather anti-climactic.

4th Malachite, 107: Uristlocun finished his production. It's Stalgakitz, an obsidian toy hammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with steel and encircled with bands of obsidian, larch and willow. This object menaces with spikes of pine and bismuth. ON the item is an image of Sakzul Ledtin the dwarf and dwarves in water buffalo leather. Sakzul Ledtin is surounded by the dwarves. The artowk relates to the ascension of the dwarf Sakzul Ledtin to the position of King of The Lucky Irons in 89. On the item is an image of full moons in cave spider silk.

It's nice and patriotic I suppose. I'd prefer for him to have created something useful though.

21st Malachite, 107: We've reached the adamantine. Word must have spread faster than I could have thought because almost instantly another wave of migrants arrived.

23rd Malachite, 107: Extraction of the adamantine has begun. Praise the miners!

13th Galena, 107: Some human merchants have arrived. I've dispatched Shpadoinkle to meet with them and see what they have to trade.

26th Galena, 107: I knew this adamantine was unlucky. Two miners died today, somehow trapped on the ramps leading down to the deposits. I've arranged for stairs to be dug so we can get to their bodies and give them a proper dwarven burial.

28th Galena, 107: Started production on my new office today. I reasoned that, if previous overseers can have a grand dining room, I can build myself a slightly larger office.

1st Limestone, 107: Autumn's arrived, bringing the birth of several kittens with it. I've arranged for them to be given nice warm beds in the butcher's workshop.

3rd LImestone, 107: It appears that the butcher has accidentally and brutally performed his trade on the innocent kittens. Oh well, what a pity. etc. etc.

9th Limestone, 107: The miners have dug out the moat that will surround my new office, and I've been consulting with the architects and smiths to design a pair of golden drawbridges (Easily retractable from the inside) and have set a team of engravers to start smoothing out the stone.

21st Limestone, 107: The new bridges are in place, and the magma has begun to flow in to the moat with a nice magma-fall directly behind where my new throne will be placed. The engravers have almost finished smoothing the stone and soon I shall have them begin carving the walls.

23rd Limestone, 107: THE MAGMA'S RISING! THE MAGMA'S RISING! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT! IT HASN'T FILLED IN THE FORMS!!! Several engravers and a miner have become trapped in the main section of my new office. The bridges and doors have melted! The magma's beginning to flow out!

25th LImestone, 107: We've managed to save the fortress, but at the cost of several lives. I'm sitting in front of this new wall as I write, listening to the poor dwarves who were trapped on the other side screaming as the magma is approaching them. They're pounding on the wall. But the magma's too close. We can't let them out. We can't...