New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Skulduggery ITP? Gauging interest

Okay, i've been reading the Skulduggery Pleasant books for quite a while now, currently reading Mortal Coil (No spoilers, please), and I think it would make a good Freeform setting. We've got a lot of variety in possible powers, good plot, and some pretty weird-but fun-things that pop up every so often. So, anyone else interested? Also, I recommend reading the books for two reasons. 1. It will help you make sense of most of the things that go on/are available for characters in this FFRP (Should it start up), and 2. They are very good books. Great plot, imaginative concepts and good humour. Oh yes, and a skelatal, sarcastic fireball/revolver-wielding detective.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skulduggery ITP? Gauging interest

I read book 1 a while back... I have to say I'm interested (mostly because I'm currently on an alchemy obsession and YAY ELEMENTS.) and...

Spoilers?
    Snape kills Dumbledore, who returns as Dumbledore the White, but later becomes evil and wears a black life-support suit. His son redeems him and they fight Nazis to protect the Holy Grail.
    Oh, wait.

But really, I'm interested.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

... Wrong kind of spoilers. Also, you might want to read on a little, it'll help explain Adepts to you. Really, it's kind of simple, any sorceror who isn't an Elemental is an Adept. Problem is, there are hundereds of Adepts. Sensitives, Teleporters, Necromancers, Bonebreakers, Brain-Eaters, the list goes on. And that isn't including the ones we could come up with. Or that Derek hasn't bothered telling us about yet.
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I will if I can, but until then the Skulduggery Wiki may have to tide me over.
    I've got an idea, maybe, for a sort of magic related to planets and their alchemical metals and stuff.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Hrm, sounds plausible. Mabye a variation of Symbol Magic? Or just "Alchemy" alchemy?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, hell, let's just go full-out alchemy. Alchemy incorporates the elements anyway, so it won't be at all out of place.
    Possible awesome name: Catiline Ignatiev.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

These buzz words that keep flying around have me interested, but I've never read the books... Hm... Dilemma dilemma... Any suggestions?
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

8. - Top - End - #8

One of us might say the wiki, but it isn't all that good. Check your local library, mabye they'll have a few of the books. They are good, believe me. Skulduggery can fit a joke in anywhere. ANYWHERE.

EDIT: Also, Beans, your name does look a little given name-ish. You do realise that the magical community works almost exclusively by taken names-which don't have to be anything like given names-right?
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2010-10-17 at 03:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

(Double posting partially to get attention, partially because I want to get this information out. please bear with me)
    Okay, five factions for the FFRP. Also, deciding on an AU, with a few differences from the books. Will establish later, for now, the factions:
    Two good:
    • The Sanctuary Re-Establishers, who-as their name suggests-want to re-establish the Sanctuary. Bleh, did I really just explain that?
    • And the Children of the Cradle, who want do do away with the Sanctuary and allow sorcerors to form self-governed, interconnected groups.

And three evil:
    • The Diablerie Reborn-basically a cult worshipping the Faceless Ones, and occasionally attempting to bring them back into our universe. Note that the "Reborn" part comes from the fact there was a Diablerie before. They were dissolved before the books.
    • The Shattered One, sort of like the Diablerie except with Remnants-evil, symbiotic ghosts,
    • And the Broken Shackles, a group of exiles and magical criminals trying to get revenge on the sanctuary. What's left of it, anyway.

And there we go. Also, to explain the Three Names system-First is the Taken Name, a pseudonym used by every mage, and the one that should pop up the most in this RP. It shouldn't have anything to do with your other two names, and sorcerors usually take names that reflect their personality, appearance or profession. Some examples from the books include: Ghastly Bespoke, Anton Shudder, Solomon Wreath and of course, Skulduggery himself. The Given Name is a person's "mortal" name, which can be used by some sorcerors to control those without Taken Names. Even if you do have a Taken Name, you should probably only let certain people know this-anywhere from really good friends to The Curtain-level friends. And lastly, the True Name. Nobody will normally know anyone's True Name-even their own-and if anyone else knows your True Name-that's it. You're basically a slave to anyone who does know. If you do know your own True Name, you get greatly enhanced magical ability. You can also have your True Name sealed through complex surgery-which requires you to be dead first-preventing anyone from using it to control you. Sorry for the wall of text, I seem to be making a lot of them lately...
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2010-10-17 at 06:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Mage View Post
    One of us might say the wiki, but it isn't all that good. Check your local library, mabye they'll have a few of the books. They are good, believe me. Skulduggery can fit a joke in anywhere. ANYWHERE.

EDIT: Also, Beans, your name does look a little given name-ish. You do realise that the magical community works almost exclusively by taken names-which don't have to be anything like given names-right?
    ... Dude, I slapped together a chaotic insane Roman senator with a brutal Russian officer.

You want it to be even crazier? I can find a way.

Thalatacha Keter. Thalatacha= a horrible car-wreck of the Greek words for "sea" and "swift". Keter= the top level of the Sephirot in the Kabbalah.
    Last edited by Beans; 2010-10-17 at 08:03 AM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, that works. Was just saying that the original idea was a bit name-ish. The Taken name is meant to be more of a codename than a name name. Hope that actually makes sense. If you're happy with Keter, so am I. Remember also that the magical community is like Japan. People are almost exclusively referred to by their sur-Taken Names.

... You and me are the only people with any interest in this, aren't we?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

>_>
    <_<
    ._.
    Maybe.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

It doesn't seem very well known, so that might be a problem. I still have to find a library nearby, but even then, three does not an RP make.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

14. - Top - End - #14

No. We need to find more people... Actually, we need to find more Brits. The author's Irish, so where do you think the books are going to be the most available?
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2010-10-17 at 11:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Exactly. In my experience the majority of people on these boards are Canadian or American. Not on the up and up of popular Irish writers.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

16. - Top - End - #16

Yes. Everything has to revolve around America, doesn't it?

17. - Top - End - #17

No. I've seen more Canadians actually. I was just making an observation.

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg Mage View Post
    Yes. Everything has to revolve around America, doesn't it?
    Where else are you gonna get your gun-obsessed burger-inhaling cowboys, huh?

That's right, nowhere else.

America is totally vital to the world and stuff.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, there's a movie coming out next year, so hopefully, the books might be released internationally to go with it. Unfortunately, that also means we will need a new thread. Here's hoping it's not going to be an epic fail like Percy Jackson.