New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXXII - Imperfectly Rebooted

I don't mean to be whiny, but I just thought I'd point out that when people ignore my ideas, I'll probably assume they're okay with it.
    A 'yes' or 'no' generally suffices.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXXII - Imperfectly Rebooted

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    I think somebody already has a werewolf in ABR (he's a crazy ALF guy, right?).
    At any rate, my idea:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think lycanthrope should be the result of the first attempted merging of magic vs. science (the first real merging, that is, a lot of more 'minor' attempts, like enchanting ships and stuff, don't count). A potion of beast shape was combined with a chemical designed to [doesn't really matter], by a curious Lockutian mage. He first tested it out on his familiar. Seeing no adverse effects, he tried it himself.

Nothing happened.
    Unfortunately, angry people with pitchforks assumed that the man was creating a 'werewolf' (which already existed in folklore), and killed him. The familiar, however, escaped, and complained to the Moon Elf Empire and asked for justice. Intrigued, a moon elf alchemist in the court suggested that the familiar's request be granted.

When a troop arrived in the village, they found the workshop had been burnt to the ground. But the mage had kept some of his work underground, so they investigated further. They found the man's notes.

The moon elf alchemist worked them out, and realized what the foolish mage had not: The man had come very close, completely by accident, to creating a new species, a merging of animal and humanoid. The elf worked further, and using his own magic, managed to complete the unfinished work. Using melted iron from a meteorite as the focus for the spell, he took blood from a rat and a human prisoner, and injected the formula into a third man (Basically, the first two for the man form and the rat form, and the last for the hybrid is how I see it). He succeeded in creating his goal--a wererat.

There were two problems, though. The first one: The iron was corrupted and impure. Therefore, the success was only partial, and the merging was imperfect. The second was, of course, that the experiment, in a rather cliche manner, killed him.

However, this wererat was actually very intelligent. He had killed his creator carefully, and calmly. Calculatingly. [Another synonym for carefully here]. He waited until his creator's notes were complete.

With his master dead, he endeavored to make more of his kind (the iron was expensive, but his master had a large supply). He made a great deal of wererats, and then decided to branch out. Werewolves, werevultures, even wereserpents (although reptiles didn't 'take' as well).

Eventually, the Empire wondered why the alchemist had gone missing, and investigated. Discovering what had happened, they attacked, and killed many of the abominations. They locked the details were nobody would find them. But a few escaped, and bred, and some remain to this day.
    Dunno about werewolves but I had/have a werebadger character.

I think it kinda removes the mystical feel from lycantrophy but I guess it could technically work in the Avbaroy universe *shrug(ery)s*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Why would anyone give very expensive gold to a beggar child? The beggars' strategy seems to be a bit far-fetched, as the odds of a random passerby carrying gold in their pockets at night (or even at day) seem to be very low.
    Better than begging for silver.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would anyone give very expensive gold to a beggar child? The beggars' strategy seems to be a bit far-fetched, as the odds of a random passerby carrying gold in their pockets at night (or even at day) seem to be very low.
    Why do you go through all that trouble and don't just say that currency has changed from noble metal coins to money in the token value sense as it is known in the modern world?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Why do you go through all that trouble and don't just say that currency has changed from noble metal coins to money in the token value sense as it is known in the modern world?
    Because he already did that, when he made that Igon Minoblendy wanted poster.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Not a bad idea.
    How about this: UNA coins are square-shaped for practicality. There are three major coins:
    Hearts: Copper coins, worth two Crowns.
    Crowns: Aluminum-based alloy, nicknamed 'gold' because of the color. Worth five Stars.
    Stars: Slips of paper with a serial number on them. These are not true coins, but are very prominent, as the UNA uses them for most transactions. Their value remains low because a lot of people are hesitant to use such delicate--and flammable--money.

/\Ah, right. Dang. Guess I'll have to save this system for my homebrew...
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-16 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Not a bad idea.
    How about this: UNA coins are square-shaped for practicality. There are three major coins:
    Hearts: Copper coins, worth two Crowns.
    Crowns: Aluminum-based alloy, nicknamed 'gold' because of the color. Worth five Stars.
    Stars: Slips of paper with a serial number on them. These are not true coins, but are very prominent, as the UNA uses them for most transactions. Their value remains low because a lot of people are hesitant to use such delicate--and flammable--money.

/\Ah, right. Dang. Guess I'll have to save this system for my homebrew...
    Quite humorously Crowns (the Danish word for those anyway) are actually the name of Danish currency.

They're wortha hundred ears*

*Danish currency is silly.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Quite humorously Crowns (the Danish word for those anyway) are actually the name of Danish currency.

They're wortha hundred ears*

*Danish currency is silly.
    'Crown' is a fairly common name in both RL and fictional currencies. Being rather fond of the trend, I thought I'd use it as well.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I keep forgetting FI isn't a game setting.

Sh'yeah.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2010-04-16 at 02:52 PM.
    ____

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Basic foodstuff and shelter are freely given to registered citizens by the UNA (the Individual Nourishment Shipments and the Intermutual Normal Shelters, respectively), so money is used mostly for buying luxuries and black market products.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I keep forgetting FI isn't a game setting.
    What does this have to do with the fact that you don't give gold to beggars?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Fine, how about I kill people on the side of the road and loot the bodies?
    ____

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

What does this have to do with the fact that you don't give gold to beggars?
    You do know what currency is in a crapload of games, right?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    You do know what currency is in a crapload of games, right?
    Yes... but in D&D for example, the average peasant uses copper pieces, not gold. That's reserved for adventurers and nobles, and they certainly don't give them to children on the streets.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-04-16 at 05:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Then I could
    A. rob rich looking peoples, probably having to kill them anyway or
    B. kill enough nameless peasants and accumulate massive monies.
    ____

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Yes... but in D&D for example, the average peasant uses copper pieces, not gold. That's reserved for adventurers and nobles.
    True. But gold refers to all currency (when currency is gold, silver, copper) for some inadequately explored reason.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, if I kill the little girl and have the kid try to join the UNA in spite, would they accpet him?
    ____

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, if I kill the little girl and have the kid try to join the UNA in spite, would they accpet him?
    What do you mean by "joining the UNA"? Do you mean becoming a registered citizen, having a job, living in the house they give you? Do you mean joining the Peacekeepers? Do you mean joining the Navy? Do you mean trying to become a politician?

The UNA is an international organisation designed to ensure co-operation between nations, create world peace, promote sapient rights and eventually form a world government, with several diverse branches, not a club you can just "join".

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, i'm going for the big job, I want my toddler to be president. How about you make an inference for once- the peacekeepers.
    ____

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, i'm going for the big job, I want my toddler to be president. How about you make an inference for once- the peacekeepers.
    If he's a toddler, they won't accept him. Child soldiers (and policemen for that matter) are illegal in UNA countries (for the same reason they are in the real world). He'll be put in an orphanage, where he belongs.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Agh. Maybe I should by a nice pair of stilts...

EDIT: Wait, toddler is too young. He's 7.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2010-04-16 at 07:29 PM.
    ____

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Crim, does every one of your female characters die in the introductory comics?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Not Ami! Or...
    ____

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

By the way, Nameless, I just noticed that in one of your old comics you say you're the head of Magic & Science. That sounds an awful lot like head of Supernatural Studies, the minor title that Nilmerg Eht holds. I also pointed this out numerous times.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

By the way, Nameless, I just noticed that in one of your old comics you say you're the head of Magic & Science. That sounds an awful lot like head of Supernatural Studies, the minor title that Nilmerg Eht holds. I also pointed this out numerous times.
    It also sounds like the Magical Inventions Department that Keveak works in but I assumed the MID was a sort of sub-branch where they placed the crazy ones to see if they could come up with something

Supernatural Studies sounds more like research for already existing but unknown knowledge in the field of magic (such as the spells of deceased wizards or the secrets of dragons blood), at least to me.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would the death of his sister make him want to join the peacekeepers? And even if he wasn't too young, you implied he's a wanted criminal, I don't see how he would get that past the registration.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2010-04-17 at 06:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

They aren't related, vengeance (although I could probably just make him hunt Kris down), and I would use a clever mask. Maybe a mustache and giant purple hat.
    ____

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

They aren't related, vengeance (although I could probably just make him hunt Kris down), and I would use a clever mask. Maybe a mustache and giant purple hat.
    "Someone killed my friend while we were robbing him, so I'm gonna join the police to hunt down... criminals like her and me?"

Given his powers, if he was 18+ he could have became a mercenary, but never a Peacekeeper. However, UNA laws on child abuse and inalienable rights prevents both things from happening, so it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2010-04-17 at 08:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, because the real-world laws on theft, murder, rape, arson and such are doing so well to prevent crime ever happening...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Yes, because the real-world laws on theft, murder, rape, arson and such are doing so well to prevent crime ever happening...
    He's asking to join the police about 8 years too early after robbery and attempted murder. And it's already been mentioned he's on wanted posters.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    What? I meant that UNA laws prevented minors from joining their quasi-military forces, the same way you don't see children in the MPS.