New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

I'm enjoying experimenting with a unit of Eldar Harlequins at the moment. How can I make sure they reach the enemy?

I've tried putting a Farseer with them to cast Fortune, and am about to invest in a Shadowseer just to enjoy painting it.
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

Quote Originally Posted by PanNarrans View Post
    I'm enjoying experimenting with a unit of Eldar Harlequins at the moment. How can I make sure they reach the enemy?

I've tried putting a Farseer with them to cast Fortune, and am about to invest in a Shadowseer just to enjoy painting it.
    Other than Fortune, you could get a Wave Serpent for some other unit, and use it to transport the Harlequins. Since the 5th edition other units than the one a transport was bought for can use it after all, and there is nothing in the Harlequins' entry that says they may not enter transports.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Isn't that somewhat comparing apples and oranges though? I consider my Raptors mostly an artillery-hunting squad, meant to jump ahead of the army and take out whatever tanks/Broadside suits/Zoanthropes/similar long range nasties there might be; the squads you describe are regular infantry-slaughtering close combat units.
    ...So shouldn't the Champion have a Power Fist instead? The Lightning Claws threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by PanNarrans View Post

Shadowseer. It's power is always active. No Psychic Test required as it counts as a Warlock Power.

Harlequins ignore difficult terrain. Use that to your advantage to gain cover saves. Try and get kills with a Death Jester to Pin units to stop them shooting at you. Run into terrain if you're not already in it.

Falcons, or nick a Wave Serpent from another squad (like Dark Reapers who will never use it).

Otherwise, what's the rest of your army? How do they help your Harlequins get into Assault? Are they backed up by Striking Scorpions or Banshees? Have you got Missile Launchers and/or Rangers forcing Pinning checks? Do you have Wraithlords or Avatars to draw the heavier fire? etc.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-05-05 at 06:35 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ...So shouldn't the Champion have a Power Fist instead? The Lightning Claws threw me off.
    Well...
    Should I go with the dual lightning claws on the raptor champion, or a powerfist instead? The latter would further specialize the squad for tank-hunting; the former would increase their capacities in fighting terminators, tau suits and such.
    Keep the Raptor Champ with Lightning Claws. 2 Meltaguns is plenty good. Give the Champ Meltabombs if you're that worried about it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, I see...

Isn't that somewhat comparing apples and oranges though? I consider my Raptors mostly an artillery-hunting squad, meant to jump ahead of the army and take out whatever tanks/Broadside suits/Zoanthropes/similar long range nasties there might be; the squads you describe are regular infantry-slaughtering close combat units.
    I'm sorry but you can't "hunt" zoanthropes. They're one of the best fire magnets in the game. All time spent hunting zoanthropes tends to end with you wondering how you let the rest of the tyranid army that close.

Who's talking about vehicles? Those AP2 blasts (three without sponsons, five with) spell certain doom for Space Marine and Terminator squads! (Having enough Strength to take down light vehicles is just a nice bonus)
    Still no better than a demolisher except on that one turn the terminators deep strike and can all be hit by a small blast and all three of your plasma shots hit (as happened to my Grey Knights last game). The demolisher also has a chance to instant death space marine characters and harpies (yes, I know someone who takes one).

If we're picking apart poor people's chaos lists here's my actual one:

Spoiler
    Show
    Abaddon - 275 points

Elites
    4 Chaos Terminator Champions - 220 points
    1 chainfist, 1 power fist, 1 reaper autocannon, 1 combi-melta, 1 combi-flamer
    Land Raider transport - 235
    extra armour

3 Chaos Terminator Champions - 160 points
    1 combi-flamer, 1 reaper autocannon, 1 power fist

10 Possessed - 310 points
    champion, icon of tzeentch

Troops
    10 chaos space marines 215
    heavy bolter, plasma gun, champion with plasma pistol
    (I gave them a possessed rhino last game but it was actually my black templars one proxying)

16 chaos space marines - 290 points
    1 autocannon, champion with power fist

Heavy Support
    2 Obliterators - 150 points

Daemons
    Summoned Greater Daemon - 100 points

1945 points (rhino makes it up to 2000)

I haven't really bought much more for it since 3rd ed. I used to have some berzerkers but a third of them went missing and the rest broke.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-05-05 at 11:50 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Two troops in 2000 points...?

Termie champs without LCs?

Possessed?

Have you ever won with this list >_>? I can't fathom it working.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you not see it was 3rd ed. list?

You don't need all the troops to capture objectives when all of your units could have done so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488

Did you not see it was 3rd ed. list?

You don't need all the troops to capture objectives when all of your units could have done so.
    No, I did not. But now I do. Regardless, it did not age well.

9. - Top - End - #489

No, I've never won with it in 5th ed. I don't think it ever won many 3rd ed games either. I think I won a total of 1 third ed game and it was with tyranids vs chaos space marines.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

So a friend of mine who will be my roommate next year wants to start a joint army with his girlfriend. After explaining the strengths and weaknesses of each army and telling them the highlights and ratings from Cheesegear's army guide, they decided to go with Space Marines. They haven't fully decided on what chapter yet, though, and they may change their minds. But right now they're leaning towards Space Wolves, likely using the regular Space Marine codex at least at first.

He asked me the cheapest way to get a good Space Marine army started quickly, since he didn't know how much money they'd have for the hobby. I did my best to explain to him that Assault on Black Reach is both good and bad, at least for Space Marines. You get lots of guys for cheap, but its not the right guys you need to actually start playing. The most direct remedy, of course, would be for them to get a Space Wolves Tac Squad kit. He liked that idea... And, since I'd be a fool not to, I offered to split the price on it in exchange for the Orks.

So yeah, any other or better suggestions for starting a quick and cheap Space Marine army? I'm not sure when they'll actually go into though, so they may change their minds at some point, either on the chapter, army, or whole thing in general. I'm just trying to make sure he's as informed as possible...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

well the best way is Ebay, the models may be in poor shape but if you shop well they can be a hobby project of their own.

Also Assault on blackreach is bad but IMHO with some model work the terminators can be made into some nice wolfguard to lead the tac squads in your army, and if you really want the dred couldbe modeled (with a lot more work) to be the Bjorn however these suggestions are only good if you run the SW with their actual codex
    Check out my horrible homebrews

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi, Im Lycans buddy. And umm... crazedloon... I have no idea what you said... . I have a few questions aside from what Lycan said. First, how many space marine chapters are there, because I looked online and I only see The Black Templars, the regular ones, the Wolves, and the Dark Angels, but I found a commander that is painted red.. IDK why he is red, but if its a chapter.. I like red... Also, one of our mutual friends plays the Dark Angels, and im not exactly understanding how that would affect the game if I was the Space Wolves. I know we have a honor duel but what happens to the Winner and Loser?
    *Hears an omnipotent voice* "Today class turn to page 59 of your Space Wolf Codex....." Hmmm... Must be Cheesegear

4e
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalLiam View Post
    Hi, Im Lycans buddy. And umm... crazedloon... I have no idea what you said... . I have a few questions aside from what Lycan said. First, how many space marine chapters are there, because I looked online and I only see The Black Templars, the regular ones, the Wolves, and the Dark Angels, but I found a commander that is painted red.. IDK why he is red, but if its a chapter.. I like red... Also, one of our mutual friends plays the Dark Angels, and im not exactly understanding how that would affect the game if I was the Space Wolves. I know we have a honor duel but what happens to the Winner and Loser?
    sorry Ebay is the best way to get a lot of models for a much lower price. The main problem with Ebay is the fact that most models that you will get may already have paint jobs or need some fixing up.

As for your question there are an "endless" number of chapters. In all truth there is a limit but they are all not documented so that on the tabletop you can make up your own chapter (and therefor paint scheme) the model you saw was most likely Blood angels.

What I was trying to say was that with the Space Wolf Codex I find the AoBR kit to be a little better provided you want to put more work into the models. Instead of just putting them together you can add some green stuff (model puddy) and plastic card and you would end up with some passable wolf guard and Bjorn (special units for Space Wolves)
    Check out my horrible homebrews

14. - Top - End - #494

I would not recommend AoBR for Space Wolves. Or for anything other than standard Space Marines. Manly 'cause the tactical marines in the box have the tactical squad symbol sculpted on, and 'non-codex' chapters (the chapters that have their own codexes) use different squad markings. Even the Dark Angels and Blood Angels (who have tactical squads in their list). Space Wolves can't even take a Missile Launcher in their tactical squad equivalent.

Codex Space Marines can represent any number of 'codex' space marine chapters, each with their own colour scheme and heraldry. You can choose to use one of the many pre-defined chapters, or make up one of your own.

Space Marine Chapter Gallery: This is a gallery entirely of codex chapters, except for the Legion of the Damned, which are a special case.
    Space Marine Chapter Gallery: Here's 83 chapters, most of them codex.

The Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves have their own chapter-specific codexes. As far as game mechanics go they are entirely separate armies to codex space marines

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalLiam View Post
    Hi, Im Lycans buddy. And umm... crazedloon... I have no idea what you said... . I have a few questions aside from what Lycan said. First, how many space marine chapters are there, because I looked online and I only see The Black Templars, the regular ones, the Wolves, and the Dark Angels, but I found a commander that is painted red.. IDK why he is red, but if its a chapter.. I like red...
    Hey Liam, welcome to the hobby.
    To answer your question; Technically, there are lots and lots and lots of Space Marine Chapters, but, only four with their own Codex, and another 7 (6) found in the regular Codex Space Marines. And, first off, I'll tell you right now, it doesn't matter what colour you want to paint your Marines. At all. The Space Wolves, you may have seen are greyish blue. But, if you like red, paint them red and it wont make a spot of difference except for what they look like.

And, the only opinion that matters is yours.

If you're short on cash, I suggest buying the specific Space Wolves' box. They even have a battleforce which should get you started pretty quickly. Since you already have friends in the hobby, chances are that you might not even need a ruleboook, so, that's a plus.

For any kind of Space Marines, your first 'batch' of models should equal somewhere around 20 models. 2 Squads of 7-10, and a Commander. That probably gets you up to 400-450 points. Of course, if you pay that little bit extra you can afford the Battleforce.

Unless you're absolutely strapped for cash, don't buy AoBR just yet;
    - It's actually a pretty rubbish beginner army, since it's not even legal, and
    - You've already got friends with rulebooks

If you can afford it, buy a Battleforce of some kind. Space Wolves have their own specific one and everything.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Don't Space Wolves have some sort of "Honor Duel" rule involving Dark Angels, though?

Hm. The Space Wolves Battleforce doesn't come with an HQ... What would you suggest for him as an HQ choice?

If he has too much trouble building up a full army, maybe I could lend him my Daemonhunters as Allies...

In fact, I'm gonna try and pick up the Codex tommorrow (As well as the 3rd Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus ) and get to planning/modelling...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-05-06 at 01:39 AM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't Space Wolves have some sort of "Honor Duel" rule involving Dark Angels, though?
    Not anymore. Those're old rules

You can still do it if you really want to...

Hm. The Space Wolves Battleforce doesn't come with an HQ... What would you suggest for him as an HQ choice?
    The Space Wolf force - like the Space Marine one - comes with a truckload of extra parts you can use (Look at the sprues. There's Thunder Hammers, Lightning Claws, Frost Blades, etc.) to make a suitable stand-in HQ model until you get a real one. Which shouldn't take too long.

If he has too much trouble building up a full army, maybe I could lend him my Daemonhunters as Allies...
    You could.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-05-06 at 01:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #498

You could get the Rune Priest mini, or one of the metal Wolf Guard to use as a Battle Leader. If you can mooch an extra pair of marine legs off someone you can build a leader from plastics without sacrificing a squad member (the space wolf frame has 6 torsos but only 5 pairs of legs)

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're really looking for a cheap option your best bet would be to play Astral Claws/Red Corsairs. That way you get 2+ armies for the price of ~1.5!
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lots of info at once... Ok, I think I understand... Whoo... Replies...

@crazedloon many thanks, that makes much more sense now.

@Cheezgear and Ogre - First, thanks for the welcome, second Ill get to reading on the info you guys pointed me too asap

YAY NO HONOR DUEL!!! I really didnt wish to do that every single time.... And Ill be out of internet soonis, im going to visit my dad for the day, but ill be back tonight or tomorrow with new questions or a plan
    *Hears an omnipotent voice* "Today class turn to page 59 of your Space Wolf Codex....." Hmmm... Must be Cheesegear

4e
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, had my first game in years as Space Marines today. It's also probably my first 'real' or 'serious' game, but, details.

It was 750 v Tyranids. I can't remember much of his list, except for a Broodlord and a squad of warriors who carved through my right flank and single-handedly won him the game (although we agreed that had we been playing limited number of rounds then I would'a won cause my 5 assault scouts held them in place using a chokepoint for three rounds) and a massive Gaunts unit who died extremely quickly.

Long story short - it was fun. I guess my question would just be in regards to the Broody + Warriors - are the actual ways to counter them once they close to melee? Or am I just gonna need to rely on delaying tactics + go for it elsewhere?

EDIT: Once they close with my firing line that is. I can see ways to disable them if the melee is picked on my terms
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2010-05-06 at 11:25 AM.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure it was a Broodlord, rather than a Tyranid Prime? Because Broodlords are an upgrade to Genestealer swarms since the new Tyranid codex, and cannot join Warriors, and Swarm Tyrants/Swarmlords are monstrous creatures and cannot join Warriors anyway. Or was your opponent using the old codex?

Anyhow, I'm inclined to say shooting is indeed your best bet against Warriors with a HQ choice accompanying them. Though I imagine Terminators might work, too.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #503

Best way to kill warriors is krak missiles or lascannons, since they don't have instant death immunity and are 3 wound toughness 4 monsters. Battle/demolisher cannons work even better. You can also kill them with power fists but then they get to butcher your squad in melee first.

The broodlord is toughness 5 and has a squad to allocate S10 wounds to, so that isn't so easy. It can also hypnotise one model, so sending a powerful character against it is a bad idea. You're better off just ignoring it and pretending its just a normal unit leader.

I run 2 broodlords and 6 warriors in 2000 points and they never have any problems dying.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you sure it was a Broodlord, rather than a Tyranid Prime? Because Broodlords are an upgrade to Genestealer swarms since the new Tyranid codex, and cannot join Warriors, and Swarm Tyrants/Swarmlords are monstrous creatures and cannot join Warriors anyway. Or was your opponent using the old codex?

Anyhow, I'm inclined to say shooting is indeed your best bet against Warriors with a HQ choice accompanying them. Though I imagine Terminators might work, too.
    Entirely possible. I know he was running a Broodlord, which would in that case have been held up over on the other side of the board.

*Google's*

Nope, definitely a Broodlord. But I'm not sure he was attached to the squad, now that I think about it ...

Ah! The warriors was a squad slain by my captain. Those were indeed Genestealers.

>.>
    <.<

Carry on.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

Otherwise, what's the rest of your army? How do they help your Harlequins get into Assault? Are they backed up by Striking Scorpions or Banshees? Have you got Missile Launchers and/or Rangers forcing Pinning checks? Do you have Wraithlords or Avatars to draw the heavier fire? etc.
    I'm using a Wraithlord nearby to draw fire. I have a squad of Scorpions, which I normally outflank with. I have a unit of rangers, but I don't use them often; I end up playing 'nids or other fearless enemies quite a lot.

In general I end up playing in smaller battles, about 1000 points or less. I know that's tricky for Eldar.
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

26. - Top - End - #506

Hey.

The doubles tournament is looming, and my friend has just found out he can make it after all. Huzzah! After a few hasty sessions of writing lists, we decided to go with what we have already model wise for the most part.

For the inspection and critique of the Giantitp gamers, I present this 1000pt a side Ork and Chaos list.
    The rules set have the Allies table, making chaos and orks distrustful allies (-1ld when within 6" of each other), and the armies share a FO chart. Also, each FA, Elite and HS slot must be filled once before a second choice can be taken from each section.

The ork list:
    Spoiler
    Show

30 Slugga’s
    -nob
    -pk
    -eavy armour
    -Bosspole
    ________________________225

30 Slugga’s
    -nob
    -pk
    -Bosspole
    _________________________220

3 Mega Nobs
    -Kombi rokkit
    -Kombi scorcha
    Trukk
    Reinforced Ram
    -Grot riggers
    -Armour plates
    __________________________185 (the kombi weapons are more for wound allocation than anything else. These guys are troops due to warboss)

Warbuggy
    -scorcha
    ____________________________40
    (Cheap and necessary FA slot)

12 Lootas
    __________________________180
    (Needed Elite slot. May be better than usual due to low terrain at tournaments)

Warboss
    Power klaw
    Warbike
    Cybork body
    Attack squig
    ______________________________________150
    (Either hides in a squad until within rush range, or hides and slides around flank to hit vehicles)

Chaos list:
    Spoiler
    Show

1 Daemon Prince
    Wings
    MoS
    Lash of Submission

2 Obliterators

2 Obliterators

7 Plague Marines
    1 Plague Champion with Power Fist
    2 Melta Gun
    Rhino
    Extra armour

7 Plague Marines
    1 Plague Champion with Power Fist
    2 Melta Gun
    Rhino
    Extra armour

A main concept behind this list is being fairly tough to kill. To knock out troops, opponents have to deal with T5 3+ armour FNP plague marines, or 30 strong units of orks. For kill point missions the likes of the buggy will hide or be thrown into reserves.
    Apparently the bulk of entrants are Space Marines, with some different codex space marines, and 1 eldar and 1 IG player.

Any comments and criticisms welcome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

27. - Top - End - #507

My Witch Hunters list, now that my army is more or less "complete".

Spoiler
    Show
    Inquisitor Lord
    Rosarius, Psychic Hood, Force Weapon, Inferno Pistol, Excruciators, purgatus, hexagramic wards, digital weapons, scourging
    3 familiars, 2 chirugeon, 2 crusaders, 2 pariahs
    286 points

Canoness
    Book of St. Lucius, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, frag grenades
    57 points

Priest
    Power sword, brazier of holy fire
    56 points
    Goes with the dominions

Priest
    Power sword, laspistol, frag grenades
    51 points
    Goes with the Canoness or the Inquisitor depending on how I'm feeling.

Elites
    Callidus Assassin
    120 points

2 Deathcult Assassins
    80 points

Troops
    10 Battle Sisters
    Veteran superior with auspex, heavy flamer, flamer

10 Battle Sisters
    Veteran superior with plasma pistol, heavy flamer, flamer

Fast Attack
    5 Dominions
    4 flamers, veteran superior with power sword and brazier of holy fire, immolator with smoke launchers and extra armour
    198 points

6 Seraphim
    2 with twin hand flamers, veteran superior with power sword
    166 points

6 Seraphim
    2 with twin hand flamers, veteran superior with power sword and plasma pistol
    181 points

Might swap the deathcult assassins for some grenades/ melta bombs.

Rather than 2 squads of 30 slugga boys, try three squads of 20 and make one of them shoota boys.

Mega nobs are no where near as tough as they look. With no invulnerable saves and initiative 1 they'll go down the instant your opponent throws the right thing at them. They're only real hope is to distract those units from the plague marines.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-05-07 at 10:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Dwarf in the Playground

So... I just got back to internet access... And im looking up units. I like the Blood Angels, Daemonhunters, Raven Guards, and Space Wolves. But if I had to choose today, Id pick the Blood Angels. Anyhow advice? Im a newbie so I dont wish to get in over my head.

4e
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    My Witch Hunters list, now that my army is more or less "complete".

Spoiler
    Show
    Inquisitor Lord
    Rosarius, Psychic Hood, Force Weapon, Inferno Pistol, Excruciators, purgatus, hexagramic wards, digital weapons, scourging
    3 familiars, 2 chirugeon, 2 crusaders, 2 pariahs
    286 points

Canoness
    Book of St. Lucius, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, frag grenades
    57 points

Priest
    Power sword, brazier of holy fire
    56 points
    Goes with the dominions

Priest
    Power sword, laspistol, frag grenades
    51 points
    Goes with the Canoness or the Inquisitor depending on how I'm feeling.

Elites
    Callidus Assassin
    120 points

2 Deathcult Assassins
    80 points

Troops
    10 Battle Sisters
    Veteran superior with auspex, heavy flamer, flamer

10 Battle Sisters
    Veteran superior with plasma pistol, heavy flamer, flamer

Fast Attack
    5 Dominions
    4 flamers, veteran superior with power sword and brazier of holy fire, immolator with smoke launchers and extra armour
    198 points

6 Seraphim
    2 with twin hand flamers, veteran superior with power sword
    166 points

6 Seraphim
    2 with twin hand flamers, veteran superior with power sword and plasma pistol
    181 points

I understand the flamer concept... but you literally have no way to take out vehicles. At all. Anything mech-heavy is going to roll you.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

With all this talk of Space Wolves...Let's do this...
    The FAQ is pretty much required reading. As it clears up a lot of things, and, in some cases, actually changes how some units are used.

Special Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, first off, Space Wolves lose Combat Tactics and Combat Squads. Combat Squads you can do without. Combat Tactics is a bit of a loss, but, instead you get Counter-Attack on everyone. Which enables you to play a lot more defensively and not actually lose anything for it.
    This is way better than the Red Thirst of the Blood Angels! But, not quite as good as Black Templars' bizarre Morale check-Fearless rules.

Acute Senses is a bonus. You could do without it. But, hey...Whatever. You've got Counter-Attack.

ATSKNF. Like all Space Marines. Still, without Combat Tactics to synergise it's less good. So? You've got Counter-Attack.

HQ* - The Leaders of the Pack
    First, this rule allows you to take 2 HQ choices for every one FO Slot! Second, it means that your characters must all be armed differently. Normally, this isn't a problem as Rune Priests come with Force Weapons and Wolf Priests have Crozius Arcanums automatically making them separate to anything else you can field.

Problems arise when you want to stack Characters though. However, the FAQ states that a set of Melta Bombs or an extra Fenrisian Wolf solves the issue. Just so long as one thing is different. Although it's Not Cool to skirt the fluff like that.
    You can also have all four Rune Priests with Living Lightning, so long as they each have a different secondary power.

As Wolf Guard (not the Battle Leader) are not HQ*, and are rather Elites, you do not have to arm them differently. Secondly, Daemonhunter and Witch Hunter allies also are not HQ*, and are actually regular HQ, and, as such, take up a whole slot instead of 'half'.

Wargear:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No access to Relic Blades, Hellfire Rounds or Axillary Grenade Launchers.

Iron Halos (Belts of Russ) aren't free.
    Storm Shields cost more points (as they should).

Frost Weapons: Grant +1 Strength (rather than the +2 of Relic Blades). However, they also count as Power Weapons, and so can be combined with a Pistol for +1 attack. Nice.

Wolf Claws: Like Lightning Claws, but better. However, to use them properly you need a pretty good knowledge of the game to see whether you want to re-roll To Hit or To Wound. If you have multiple models in the same unit with Wolf Claws, you can actually pick and choose who is doing what. Thier points cost is only slightly higher than Lightning Claws.

Terminators can't Teleport.

Fenrisian Wolves: Most treat them as ablative wounds with attacks. Or a way to get around Leaders of the Pack without wasting too many points.
    Mark of the Wulfen: Don't give this to Independent Characters. They've got better things to do.
    Thunderwolf Mount: Happy Face. Good luck trying to model one though. Sad Face.
    Wolf Tail Talisman: Not only do SWs already have Psychic Hoods, but, now they can also disrupt psychic powers without the help of a Rune Priest.

Wolftooth Necklace: Nice. Goes very well with the right Wargear. Like Wolf Claws and/or Beastslayer (below).

Wolf Standard: Hit or miss. But, it's only 10 points and you can have it on Troops units.

Sagas:
    No two characters can have the same Saga. Except for special characters.

Wolfkin: Crap. Don't worry about it.
    Bear: Happy Face. Put this on your favourite guy. Add a Storm Shield.
    Majesty: Meh.
    Hunter: Allows your guy to hang out with Wolf Scouts, not much else. Add a Thunderwolf Mount where possible.
    Warrior Born: It stacks. Keep on rollin'...Just don't screw it up. It's points cost really does reflect how good it can be.
    Beastslayer: All To Hit rolls. Including those from Shooting attacks. Makes some of the better models in the game, less good. It's a shame that you can't combine this with Bear which you kind of do need.
    Iron Wolf: Iron Priests only. Still pretty bad.

The List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wolf Lord
    4 attacks. With Counter-Attack.
    Belts of Russ aren't free.
    Beastslayer, Majesty, Wolfkin, Warrior Born, Bear

Rune Priest
    Rune Weapons turn Daemons to crap. The Avatar doesn't even have Eternal Warrior. Force Weapon time! Rune Weapons are also like Psychic Hoods, but slightly worse.
    Chooser of the Slain: Put it somewhere awesome so enemy Infiltrators can't take that spot (like an objective), and/or put it somewhere where it can see everything.
    Beastslayer, Warrior Born

Thunderclap: Nothing to write home about.
    Living Lighting: Tell your friends! Add Saga of the Beastslayer.
    Storm Caller: Meh. You don't really need it.
    Tempest's Wrath: It's almost like Rune Priests hate Chaos Daemons...
    Fury of the Wolf Spirits: Meh.
    Muderous Hurricane: Screws over your opponent whether you cause casualties or not.
    Jaws of the World Wolf: Not really that good. Screws over gun 'lines' if you get the right angle and Carnifii. Not too much else. Doesn't even work on Walkers or Vehicles.

...All the good ones are Shooting attacks, so you can only use one per turn. Living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane are the favourites.

Wolf Priests
    Like a Chaplain. Except gives Preferred Enemy against a single unit type ('Infantry' will still hit roughly 85% of everything in the game). However, note that a Chaplain's ability only works on the turn that they Assault. Wheras Preferred Enemy works all the time. And Space Wolves have Counter-Attack on a Wolf Priest's Leadership 10? Who needs to initiate Assault? Not Space Wolves.
    Beastslayer, Hunter, Wolfkin, Warrior Born

Wolf Guard Battle Leader
    Like a Wolf Lord, but cheaper. And still has an awesome stat-line. WS5 and 3 Attacks.
    Only difference for wargear is no access to a Belt of Russ and different Sagas.
    Beastslayer, Hunter, Wolfkin, Warrior Born

Wolf Guard Pack
    Not as good as Sternguard. But, also only 18 points each. 2 Attacks each plus Counter-Attack. As the 'Veteran' unit, they can take pretty much any weapon they want.
    Also, a cheap source of Terminators;
    Power Weapon and Storm Bolter = 33 Points
    Wolf Claw and Storm Bolter = 38 Points
    Power Fist and Storm Bolter = 43 Points. Meh. You're paying the same points as Dark Angels and a smart Black Templar player. You've still got Counter-Attack.
    Dual Wolf Claws = 48 Points.
    Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield = 63 Points. Each.

This author has seen Power Fist and/or Wolf Claw and Storm Shield combos used to great effect. Assault Cannon and Storm Shield can be mean.

Space Wolves also don't have squad sergeants like just about every other army. Instead, Wolf Guard actually get 'split off' from the main pack to join other Packs as Sergeants. It's a fairly neat rule. Except, you still need a minimum of 3 Wolf Guard even if you just want one to use as a Sergeant.

Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon as the base weapon.
    Can take funky Space Wolf gear.

Venerable Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon as the base weapon.
    Can take funky Space Wolf gear. Including Majesty so you can take the better Sagas on your Wolf Lord.

No Ironclads.

Iron Priest
    Free Thunder Hammer.

Wolf Scouts
    Space Wolf Scouts are actually Elites (just like in the real world) and have the Stat-line to match. Wolf Scouts also have access to Assault weapons like the Meltagun or Plasmagun. As well as also have a really cool rule which allows them to come onto the board from your opponent's table edge.
    Sniper Rifles cost points.

Lone Wolf
    Has both Bear and Beastslayer Sagas (but he doesn't really, so your HQs can still have them). Which is exactly what you want. Strap on Terminator Armour and a Storm Shield and he wont die anytime soon. Problem is that he's not an Independent Character, and using a whole Elites slot for just one model just isn't the best idea.
    He's also missing access to a Jump Pack, Bike or Thunderwolf Mount. Which would be really handy.

Grey Hunters
    Like a Tactical Squad, but can't take Heavy weapons. But can take dual Assault weapons instead. And, even though they don't have access to a Sergeant, they can still have a Power Fist/Weapon anyway. And then a separate character with the Mark of the Wulfen, and then add in another Wolf Guard. Oh, and Grey Hunters also have Combat Weapons and Pistols for another attack. And Counter-Attack.
    Grey Hunters also have access to Wolf Standards. Take it or leave it.

Because of the fact that Grey Hunters can't take Heavy weapons, and the fact that they have Counter-Attack as well, they make ideal Drop Pod units.

Problem; Space Wolf Drop Pods only carry 10 models. It means you can take 10 GHs and get the two special weapons (Flamers or Meltaguns usually)...Or take 9, and the Wolf Guard, and only one special weapon because you don't have 10 models...Just keep in mind that Wolf Guard get Power Weapons and Fists for cheaper than Grey Hunters (but not really, because you lose the free second Assault weapon)...It all depends on what you want.

Blood Claws
    Blood Claws can't shoot at all if they're within 6" of an enemy unit, and then, they must Assault that unit. Clever opponents will put a Land Raider in front of them.
    Blood Claws can come in squads of up to 15. But, you should also know that putting a Wolf Guard in the squad means they can shoot and not-Assault like normal people.
    ...Blood Claws are not a Defensive unit. They're much better on the Assault rather than Counter-Attacking. Stick them in a Land Raider to near-guarantee to get them where you want them to be.

Thunderwolf Cavalry
    The best unit in the List. 12" Assault Move. S/T 5 and two Wounds each and all 5 of their Attacks are Rending. Strap on a Storm Shield and watch them win. Who cares if they're 80 Points per model. They will win.

Trouble is, there is no easy way to make them. Best and easiest way is to buy multiple Canis Wolfborn models and go crazy with a saw. This is crazily expensive. But, it seriously is the best unit in the Army.

Swiftclaw Biker Pack
    Like Blood Claws, but on Bikes for Relentless Twin-Linked Bolters and T4(5). Bikes they'll be able to Assault what they want to Assault. Or get a Wolf Guard.
    Cheap Attack Bikes.

Skyclaw Assault Pack
    Like Blood Claws, but with Jump Packs. Add Wolf Guard.

Fenrisian Wolves
    Wolves. On the Battlefield. They have the statline of a Space Marine, except with 2 Attacks each and terrible Leadership and save. Still, they're really cheap and have 12" Assault move.

Long Fangs
    Due to the fact that no other squad can take Heavy Weapons, these guys can take five of them. And then, split their fire between two targets at the same time. The unit gets expensive if you're not careful.

Land Raider
    Only carries 10 models.

No Thunderfire Cannons.

Drop Pod
    Only carries 10 models. No Locator Beacons.

Bjorn the Fell-Handed
    A Special Character Dreadnought.
    He has a 5+ Invulnerable. On a vehicle...Very overpoints'd though.
    If he dies, he counts as another objective. This can be used to turn a losing game into a draw.

Ulrik the Slayer
    He's pretty good.

Arjac Rockfist - Wolf Guard upgrade
    He's a beast. Almost as good as Lysander, except without enough wounds.
    A tad overpriced.

Lukas the Trickster - Blood Claw upgrade
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!1!! !111!!!!11!!
    That is all.

Njal Stormcaller

Canis Wolfborn
    Kills Infantry dead. Sadly, he has no Invulnerable and no Eternal Warrior. Stay away from pie plates.

Ragnar Blackmane
    He's quite good.

Logan Grimnar
    He's a pretty funky dude. And turns your Wolf Guard into Troops. Some people have been using him to field Terminator armies because Space Wolves get cheaper Terminators. Pfft. Logan Grimnar costs a truckload more than Belial. You need to take at least 21 non-upgraded () Wolf Guard Terminators just to break even. Non-upgraded.

TL;DR: Final Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    Space Wolves are actually the 'most fair' list out of all the Space Marine variants. Specialising in medium-range firefights and defensive deployments. They're still plenty good in Assault because they all have Counter-Attack and Grey Hunters (the basic Troop) rock like a Ducati.

You can't Rifle spam.
    You can't Hammernator spam.
    You can't Land Raider spam.
    You can't Thunderfire spam.

Well, you can do some of those things, it just doesn't work as well as other Space Marine Lists.

Ultimately, Space Wolves are a solid list. They have no actual 'bad' or 'trap' units. You can even make Fenrisian Wolves work if you try. The only way to 'break' the List is to Thunderwolf Spam, and that's out simply because they're so damn hard and/or expensive to make.

The other thing Space Wolves have going for them, is that their rules actually conform to their fluff.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-05-07 at 07:19 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome