New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

I really don't think that GK would be that great in a 750 point match.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

Okay then, 1000 or 1500 lists, then?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

One guy I often play with runs an Imperial Guard army with a Lord Commissar, two Veteran squads, a Leman Russ, a Leman Russ Executor, and Grey Knights for allies; usually a Lord Inquisitor with fairly large retinue (probably just about all of the options), two Grey Knight squads, and an orbital strike. Comes out as 1600 points (I presume thinning it down to 1500 shouldn't be too difficult). It works out pretty well, though an obvious way to improve that list would be replacing the Lord Commissar and Veteran squads with a Company Command Squad and two Infantry Platoons.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-04-21 at 04:20 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Originally posted by Discord
    What's the... least suboptimal of the two choices I'm interested in: wraithsword and dual flamers or wraithsword and dual shuriken catapults?
    The Shuriken Catapults. You should already have better weapons than that on your weapon mount (that isn't the Wraithblade). In my list that I've just written (and my conversion that I've just done, I'll see if I can get my camera working), I run a Wraithlord with Wraithblade and Scatter Laser. What would he possibly need Shuriken Catapults for?

Dual-Flamers lets you lay down two Flamer templates. As they aren't Twin-Linked (two weapons is way better than one TLed one). The 'dual-weapon = Twin-Linked' rule is only for the larger weapons.

The only problem I see with my set up, is that I might not get to Assault if I lay down Flamer templates and they run away.

My second Wraithlord with Brightlance and EML, still has dual Flamers. If you wanted a Shuriken Catapult, Wraithlords give you the option of Shuriken Cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I would also drop the shuriken cannon upgrades on all the wave serpents because they will rarely be used since they are not defensive weapons.
    But the Eldar Missile Launchers are.
    Twin-Linked Missiles to shoot at vehicles. Or Shuriken Cannon (main weapon) followed by Pinning Plasma Missile for Infantry.

It's a trick I picked up by using Land Speeder Typhoons. The Missile Launcher isn't actually the main weapon.

On foot, and given the rest of your army, I don't know what the purpose of the warlock retinue is. They aren't going to handle anything the Wraithlords and Avatar can't take care of, and they have the same effective range. And being the spiritseer for the wraithlords means they can't even go after other targets.
    That sounds about right.

Although you do still have to have a warlock with spiritseer for the wraithlords, but you can pick up a unit of guardians with scatter laser or shuriken cannon and the warlock for half the cost, have another troop choice, and it would be fearless with twice as many wounds.
    Trade the Seer Council for;

Jetbikes (x5) 178
    Shuriken Cannon
    + Warlock; Singing Spear, Destructor

I've also been considering dropping the Striking Scorpions for;

Guardians (x10) 139
    Scatter Laser
    + Warlock; Spiritseer, Singing Spear, Conceal

By now I'm 24 points under. Another Fire Dragon. I could go for a sixth Jetbike, but, it's not really worth it unless I can get the extra 10 points for the Shuriken Cannon to go with it. I could then also split the unit in two. But, that's probably a bad idea.

These options should net me four Troops in 2000 points. Normally I'd be playing with five. I'm also thinking of trading the Seer Council/Jetbikes for Wraithguard. But, they'd be on foot, so I don't really want to do that.

Huh...Just re-read Eldritch Storm;
    "...Vehicles touched by the template..."

So, the centre hole doesn't even need to be over the vehicle? That's pretty good. Doom and Eldritch Storm?
    That'd free up 10 points for an extra Shuriken Cannon for the Jetbikes...

Originally posted by Lycan 01
    Okay then, 1000 or 1500 lists, then?
    Just play normal Imperial Guard however you play them. Except spend your last 3-400 points on a GK Grand Master and Terminators, that's all.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-04-21 at 06:58 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

How effective/decent/fail are other Daemonhunter units, like Inquisitors, Retinues, Stormtroopers, Dreadnaughts, et cetera...

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How effective/decent/fail are other Daemonhunter units, like Inquisitors, Retinues, Stormtroopers, Dreadnaughts, et cetera...
    You need Chimeras if you're going to field anything except Grey Knights.

Inquisitors and Retinues make excellent firebases. Trucking Psycannons, Heavy Bolters and Plasma Cannons. They are, however, still only T3. And don't do all that well in combat. Unless you've got an Initiative 5 Force Weapon. Dropping Holocausts is also helpful.

Daemonhosts are amazing. If they roll the right power, they can Assault on the turn they Deep Strike. It's a pity that if you take them you lose Grey Knights.

Death Cult Assassins are also good. Always take 3. Never separate them.

The Eversor is the best Assassin, hands down. Unless you psyker-spam the Culexus. But, it's not worth it in the long run.

Storm Troopers need Chimeras. Plasma all the way.

If you're running as Allies, you can't take any DH Heavy Support.

A guy at the club runs;
    Inquisitor and Retinue in Chimera (pumps out lots of fire)
    x3 Daemonhosts
    x3 Death-Cult Assassins
    Eversor
    x2 StormTrooper units in Chimeras (all Plasma).

His units never voluntarily get out of their vehicles.
    He always Infiltrates. The Eversor has a 12" Assault move...
    Daemonhosts tend to wreck things.

It's pretty effective - but still beatable.

DH can take Inducted Infantry Platoons. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-04-21 at 10:56 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Hrm if you read a bit between the lines it kinda sounds like the Cheesegear is the kids dad really..

Also flamers on any types of Dreads really are a great option. Denying coversaves and hitting a bunch of dudes in one "shot" before the charge is great... Furioso's are basicaly broken with blood talons and this set up, from my experence that is.
    Last edited by DranWork; 2010-04-21 at 10:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DranWork View Post
    Hrm if you read a bit between the lines it kinda sounds like the Cheesegear is the kids dad really...
    I sure hope not.

Nah, the kid's Dad is...Annoying. He's the Hobby Dad.
    Everyone knows his son's lists are actually written by him. The Dad is constantly looking over the kid's shoulder saying "Don't do that." or clicking his tongue or just implying that his son is always wrong.

Despite the fact that the kid follows his Dad's advice nearly all the time, it turns out that it's the kid's fault when they lose. And the son is 'lucky' Dad is around when the kid wins.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Just outa intrest Cheese which gamers group do you play at? Since im pretty sure ive heard you mention that you live in Sydney...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DranWork View Post
    Just outa intrest Cheese which gamers group do you play at? Since im pretty sure ive heard you mention that you live in Sydney...
    'Fraid not. I live in Queensland. I may have mentioned I was going to go to Sydney GT this year, but, remember that 'army in 5 months' challenge I and a few friends had? Well, that ended up not happening. So, I'll see if I can make it to Sydney later on in the year (if there's a reason to go), or, maybe next year?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

ah darn... there was this stunning Imp Fist army at Leviathen (games day) thought might be yours/might have been you but oh well. If you head down here shoot us a pm and ill hook you up with the group I play with.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

You live in Queensland? Wow trippy! Im in Brisbane! I would say I want to give you a game or something if you are ever in Brisbane but my battle suit heavy army would be pretty easy to beat. I am however slowly getting more firewarriors which should help out a lot.

Also has anyone heard rumours of when the Alien Hunters Codex is coming out? Its been years already and GW keep saying that they are bringing it out soon
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    Also has anyone heard rumours of when the Alien Hunters Codex is coming out? Its been years already and GW keep saying that they are bringing it out soon
    Pretty sure nobody at GW has said that. 'Plans' might have been in development, but, nobody has ever said anything was actually getting released.

The Inquisition is a rumour. Just like 'Alien Hunters'. And, even if it is real, best guess is November/December this year. But, other - probably more accurate - estimates put it for this time next year. If it even is real.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wait wait wait what? Inducted Infantry? As in, I can play as Daemonhunters, and use the Imperial Guard as allies, rather than vice versa? That's... interesting.

So, an Inquisitor and Retinue... What sort of gear and rules do they have? If I plop 'em in a Chimera, can I just cart them around the battlefield ravaging the enemy with whatever dakka they're allowed to fire out of a vehicle? (I haven't read the fireport rules in awhile, so I don't remember off the top of my head the specifics for shooting out of vehicles... )

An Inquisitor and Retinue just sounds like a fun modelling project, too. Like I said awhile back, I've been contemplating making figures for Dark Heresy, and this would actually give me a perfect excuse to set time and models aside for the project. So what sort of Retinues can an Inquisitor have? Can you "Counts As" using models like Guardsmen, Techpriests, and Commissars? Or do they have to be specific "WYSIWYG" Inquisitor Cohorts?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inquisitor Retinues?

You can have up to three guys of each type:

Familiar (servo-skulls, cyber-eagles, pseudo dragons, you know) boost initiative and psychic powers
    Warriors (guardsmen vets and servitors) fight a little and boost weapon skill. Can have some big guns.
    Hierophants (daemonhunters only) boost your leadership
    Acolyte (interrigators, apprentices and padawans) extra wounds and can carry a couple of bits of wargear
    Sages (autosavants, leximechanic, hot librarians) boost balistic skill
    Mystic (daemonhunters only, astropaths, sanctioned psykers, phoney fortune tellers) anti-deepstrike
    The Penitent (witch hunters only, bound psykers, pariahs, penitent witch, out of office politicians) protects against psykers
    The chirugeon (with hunters only, torturer, excoriator, sister hospitlar, healbot) protects against wounds a little.

They have to be wysywyg in that they have to fit the general description. But that's it.

Inquisitor Lords get 3-12, Inquisitors get 0-6.

Inquisitors get the usual loadout of 4+ invuns, force weapons, plasma pistols, and some anti-daemon and anti-psyker stuff.

Basically from what I see Daemonhunters ones suck (mostly anti-daemon stuff that doesn't actually work anymore) but you can have a witch hunters inqusitor in a daemonhunters army (or a guard army with daemonhunters allies).

Wait wait wait what? Inducted Infantry? As in, I can play as Daemonhunters, and use the Imperial Guard as allies, rather than vice versa? That's... interesting.
    Only armoured fists, guard platoons, rough riders, sentinel squadrons and lone leman russ battletanks (no variants or squadrons allowed per the FAQ). They do also get space marines though (as long as you don't have grey knights or sisters of battle sadly, so no using AoBR smurfs as filler for your expensive GKs).
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-04-22 at 02:32 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Inquisitor Lords get 3-12, Inquisitors get 0-6.
    Excepting that one special character in the Daemonhunters book who gets 3-15 rather than 3-12, up to 4 of each category rather than up to 3.

Lord Torquemada Coteaz, it was.

Still, as a special character, you might not want to use him.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Basically from what I see Daemonhunters ones suck (mostly anti-daemon stuff that doesn't actually work anymore) but you can have a witch hunters inqusitor in a daemonhunters army (or a guard army with daemonhunters allies).
    If you load them out to be antidaemon, then they'll still do fairly well - Daemonhammers are nice, unless they've been somehow invalidated. Especially when combined with a couple Heirophants and a Grimoire of True Names. "Oh, you have a WSlots Bloodthirster striking at the same time as me? Not anymore - he's down to half WS, -1Ld, and also, if I wound him even once, he can't act this turn. At all."

Having said that, the Inquisitors are... not good in assault against most other things.

Shooting is what you should be doing, IMO.

Psycannon, Sage, Mystic and three Warriors with Heavy Bolters (and perhaps a plasma cannon) and you have:
    -One BS5 souped-up heavy bolter ignoring Invulnerable saves
    -Three heavy bolters (or two and a plasma cannon), forget their BS - AFB
    -Any time a unit enters play within a certain distance via deep strike, you can shoot them. In their turn. And then again in yours.

Plus a Chimera transport for two additional heavy bolters, and if you want three Acolytes with bolters/stormbolters/combiweapons.

And of course, you can give the Inquisitor armour and suchlike so he lives longer.

To be honest - and I say this as a general warning more than anything else - the main problem with Inquisitors (especially Lords) and their retinues is it's far too easy to just keep buying and buying so you have a really awesome, characterful unit that has the slight downside of costing about 500 points, plus 300 for the fully tooled up Land Raider transport. Slight exxageration, but you get the idea.

Also: They're only Toughness 3. Do not forget this. A well placed krak grenade can insta-gib you.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    Also: They're only Toughness 3. Do not forget this. A well placed krak grenade can insta-gib you.
    Well, that's for what acolytes are for. Their loyalty is measured by their willingness to get in front of enemy fire.

But the real meat shield for the inquisitor are familiars. The cheapest retinue minion, nevermind that they don't have ranged weapons. The inquisitor is too much of a juicy target so the enemy will be shooting at it and you need all meat shields you can get. Altough I guess it's more of a cybernetic shield.

Altough if you're a good painter/modeler you gotta admit an inquisitor lord surrounded by three cyber-crows familiars would be pretty badass.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wow. Daemonhunters sound kinda fun...

So Shooty Inquisitor + shooty Retinue + Chimera = decent mobile firebase HQ? Coolness...

Since I'm a cheap SOB, could a Lord Commissar or a slightly converted AoBR Space Marine Captain be counted as an Inquisitor?

I have a spare Servo-skull, and I'm sure I could model some robo-crows...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-04-22 at 04:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Some Inquisitors have masqueraded as Space Marines (one of the two Inquisitors in the Daemonifuge comics, for example).

So Marine-type armour isn't out of place, if painted well, and maybe little conversions made.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Some Inquisitors have masqueraded as Space Marines (one of the two Inquisitors in the Daemonifuge comics, for example).

So Marine-type armour isn't out of place, if painted well, and maybe little conversions made.
    Ignoring the whole "you can only use power armor if you have black carapace", if you go by daemonifuge:
    -Human-strenght beings can use bolters with a single hand no problem.
    -Despite being miniaturized rocket launchers acording to some people, three bolter shots will leave a corpse relatively intact.
    -One sister of battle can one-hit kill an armored grey knight with her bare hands.
    -Said sister of battle can cripple three daemon hunter inquisitors with psychic powers when, you know, DHI are suposed to be fully covered with the best anti-psyker wards out there and stuff.

So either the book isn't very trustable, or SoB's faith=WWWAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-04-22 at 04:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Ignoring the whole "you can only use power armor if you have black carapace"
    This one's always been wrong. Non-black carapace power armour has existed for a while.

That said, an Inquisitor wearing Marine-style armour, would imply he has been implanted with the carapace- maybe he's an ex-Space Marine who, for one reason or another, is now a member of the Inquisition.

Silas Hand (the other Daemonifuge inquisitor) appears in the Inquisitor rulebook. In one of the illustrations.

Ephrael Stern is very far from being a normal Sister- so her doing amazing things is not surprising.

Also, it's not clear if her powers are psychic powers proper, or "Something Weird" (maybe she qualifies as a Living Saint).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-04-22 at 05:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow. Daemonhunters sound kinda fun...

So Shooty Inquisitor + shooty Retinue + Chimera = decent mobile firebase HQ? Coolness...

Since I'm a cheap SOB, could a Lord Commissar or a slightly converted AoBR Space Marine Captain be counted as an Inquisitor?

I have a spare Servo-skull, and I'm sure I could model some robo-crows...
    I rarely bothered moving them. Chimera works as a screen, and the heavy bolters cannot move and shoot - the psycannon can, but at half range.
    (Then again, this unit was made mostly to counter a unit of Dire Avengers one or two Codex editions ago, when Asurmen didn't (by RAW, at least) have an armour save - only an invulnerable save :p Moving was bad, they moved faster...)

And, although this technically belongs in the Modelling thread, here's what I've used (that I can remember) as Inquisitors..

- Techmarine conversions - awesome for the hammer, power armour represented, hoods etc.
    - Dark Angel Veteran (old metal ones, plastic ones would also work) - the robes are awesome.
    - The APU walker that is in the Modelling thread. Cheesegear seems to like it :p Mastercrafted psycannons are awesome...
    - Limited edition Witch Hunter model from a few years back, noncombatant support Inquisitor. Mostly there for extra heavy bolters.
    - Random Space Marines
    - Cadian conversions (only for lesser Inquisitors) to fill up points/because it would look cool.

Basically, you can use anything. Any imperial model will work. Get a bitz box and go nuts - I have never, ever used an actual Inquisitor model.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

This actually sounds pretty cool... Maybe Daemonhunters and Imperial Guard mixed would make a better (and slightly cheaper ) army than a pure Imperial Guard force?

So, do the Retinue actually fight and stuff? Or are they just there for buffs? I'm wondering how you actually fit Heavy Bolters on a single non-space marine model, since the only ones I saw on the site with them were Servitors...

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I personally would go with the Flamers.

It's a Close-Combat Wraithlord and those things generally serve a specific purpose: To stroll over the battlefield and crush the biggest, nastiest thing they can find. And a couple of s4 ap5 shots from shuriken catapults aren't going to help you kill Abaddon or a C'Tan.

With that in mind, one glaring problem is that Wraihtlord only have 2 attacks, so getting swamped by a large unit of expendable minions is a distinct setback. A pair of flamers, while still useless against things like tanks and MEQs, will help you thin out hordes much more easily, and allow the 'Lord to get on with something more constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The Shuriken Catapults. You should already have better weapons than that on your weapon mount (that isn't the Wraithblade). In my list that I've just written (and my conversion that I've just done, I'll see if I can get my camera working), I run a Wraithlord with Wraithblade and Scatter Laser. What would he possibly need Shuriken Catapults for?

Dual-Flamers lets you lay down two Flamer templates. As they aren't Twin-Linked (two weapons is way better than one TLed one). The 'dual-weapon = Twin-Linked' rule is only for the larger weapons.

The only problem I see with my set up, is that I might not get to Assault if I lay down Flamer templates and they run away.

My second Wraithlord with Brightlance and EML, still has dual Flamers. If you wanted a Shuriken Catapult, Wraithlords give you the option of Shuriken Cannons.
    Thank you!
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Originally posted by Lycan 01
    You have the Codex, right?
    Page 21. Still, whatever you choose, the 'compulsory' HQ and Troops must be chosen from the parent Codex.

Page 30-1 tells you what Inducted Units you can take. Because the IG Codex has been re-written, make sure to check the IG FAQ regarding what you can and can't use.

Also print the the Daemonhunters FAQ, which gives the GK Land Raiders Machine Spirit and Assault Vehicle. You want these. You really, really do. With DHs particular brand of 'old-school' (3rd, not 4th) LRCs, it makes them really, really good.
    Sad, but true; This means that there's a difference between Land Raiders (in the Dedicated Transports section) and the Grey Knight Land Raider/s in the Heavy Support Section.
    Grey Knight Land Raiders also may only transport Grey Knights.

B&C Strikes again. You'll need this list.

So, do the Retinue actually fight and stuff? Or are they just there for buffs? I'm wondering how you actually fit Heavy Bolters on a single non-space marine model, since the only ones I saw on the site with them were Servitors...
    Both.
    Without the buffs, your Inquisitor is crap. So, you need them for that.
    And
    Inqusitorial Henchmen have the stats of a Guardsman, except with Ld 8 and a 6+ Save. And they come armed with a laspistol and CCW for 2 attacks each.

You also have Acolytes, who can take up to 15 points worth of stuff. You can give them Artificer Armour to take the hard saves (for Assault Inquisitors). Some others give them Storm Bolters and Carapace Armour. Witch Hunter Acolytes can take Mancatchers - which are great if you use them properly. But, those are for WHs...

Warriors;
    Veteran Guardsmen give Plasmaguns as BS4 and a 4+ save. But, I wouldn't waste my Warrior slots on them. Since you can get them as Troops.
    Combat Servitors come with Power Fists...With 1 Attack. The joy...
    Gun-Servitors give Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolters. Do this.

Remember, Page 13;
    "Any profile increases an Inquisitor may Benefit from due to his henchmen remain in effect even if the Henchman that afforded the increase is removed from play."

There is no reason not to instantly take 3 Familiars. They function as ablative wounds for your Acolytes and Warriors (who are more valuable), and let your Inquisitor walk around with an I5 Force Weapon.

I also can't remember where I read it (it might be in the WH Codex), but, it is permissible to model your Inquisitor's Wargear on his Henchmen (freeing your Inquisitor to look as badarse as you want him to), as this represents his Henchmen handing him his weapons when he requires them.
    ...It's how the Cherubim carting the Bolter around makes sense.

Inquisitor Lord; Psycannon, Force Weapon (or Null Rod), [Extras]
    x3 Familiars
    x3 Acolytes; Storm Bolters and Carapace Armour
    x3 Gun-Servitors; x2 Heavy Bolters and Plasma Cannon
    x2 Sages
    ---
    Total 12 models. Jump in a Chimera*; Multi-Laser and Heavy Bolter

*I recommend getting Inducted Guard, and buying the cheap Chimeras, and then in Turn 1, your Inquisitor just yoinks the Chimera from the Guard - as he should.

Your Inquisitor is I5, WS5. And BS5. He can choose to pass Morale and Pinning Checks - even if failure is normally automatic.
    ...All the Light Infantry on the board just died.

DH are only slightly better at Shooting by access to Psycannons.
    WH Inquisitors are better in Assault due to Power Stakes, Mancatchers, Crusader and Chirurgeon Henchmen, decent Assault Powers and just general ability to wreck psykers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-04-23 at 02:23 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

I'm wondering how you actually fit Heavy Bolters on a single non-space marine model, since the only ones I saw on the site with them were Servitors...
    *cough* Sergeant Harker *cough*

Daemonhosts are amazing. If they roll the right power, they can Assault on the turn they Deep Strike.
    Don't they have instability, though?

The Eversor is the best Assassin, hands down. Unless you psyker-spam the Culexus. But, it's not worth it in the long run.
    Um... What? Why I never saw any love for Vindicare?

If I read thing right, he has rending/pinning AP2 weapon that can ignore invulnerables, lessens cover saves, can kill any target in a unit, so it laughs at revenues/upgrade characters, has 2-wound shots, 3d6 vehicle penetration, and most importantly, laughs at "you can't shot me, I'm in close combat" rule, allowing you to kill everything he can see.

And enemies have practically no chance to fire back, even if he stands in the open, thanks to camouflage and range of his gun.

His units never voluntarily get out of their vehicles.
    How does this work? Inquisitor and retinue sit in Chimera and fires Psycannon thorough fire point? Isn't it a... waste of points?

The Eversor has a 12" Assault move...
    He also is one unit with 4+ save. IMHO, unless he charges IG or Eldar Guardians, he will live exactly one assault phase.

By the way, what's so good about GK LR? Extra Multi-melta?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Don't they have instability, though?
    I don't know what you mean, but, they're Fearless, which amounts to the same thing if you're thinking what I'm thinking.

If I read thing right, [Vindicare] has rending/pinning AP2 weapon that can ignore invulnerables, lessens cover saves, can kill any target in a unit, so it laughs at revenues/upgrade characters, has 2-wound shots, 3d6 vehicle penetration, and most importantly, laughs at "you can't shot me, I'm in close combat" rule, allowing you to kill everything he can see.
    Shrodinger's Unit. He does none of that at the same time. He gets to use each shot, once. He can even miss and/or fail to wound. Over the course of a whole game, he puts out six shots (that he can fail with) at best. This is nowhere close to enough. Especially when you consider Telion, who is less than half the points. Adding in some Scouts makes up the points-difference (and what you need to take Telion in the first place), but, then Telion has even more wounds, and extra Scouts with more guns; Heavy Bolters or Missile Launchers.

Yes, you can take Telion in Daemonhunters, as he is part of a Scout squad. He's also Troops.

The Vindicare is pretty bad in comparison to the others since he only works 'sometimes' and is all but useless against hordes and Mech armies. You think way too small. Vindicares are a nice idea, but, far out of touch with what actually happens on the table.

And enemies have practically no chance to fire back, even if he stands in the open, thanks to camouflage and range of his gun.
    You're sorely overestimating that ability. Thanks to things like Drop Pods, fast moving units and other things that close distances quickly - like 24" Teleporting Relentless Librarians...
    The Vindicare also lasts about three seconds in Assault.

How does this work? Inquisitor and retinue sit in Chimera and fires Psycannon thorough fire point? Isn't it a... waste of points?
    No. Unless you like your T3 Inquisitor getting shot at.

He also is one unit with 4+ save. IMHO, unless he charges IG or Eldar Guardians, he will live exactly one assault phase.
    Do you even read the Codex?
    With 12" Assault move; He has D6+3+1 (two weapons) I5, WS5, 'Poison' Power Weapon Attacks. What Wraithlord? Oh? You mean the one he just killed on his own in the first turn (Infiltrate)?
    He craps on anything short of pimped-out ICs. Then when it comes to the opponent's turn, he explodes if he dies.

If you target the right unit, or give him back-up in the form of Death-Cult Assassins, he lives exactly as long as he's supposed to.
    PROTIP: Don't be stupid and Assault units you can't win against - which there shouldn't be many of. Problem solved.

By the way, what's so good about GK LR? Extra Multi-melta?
    Since Daemonhunters is an old Codex, it contains two forms of Land Raider. A Land Raider without Machine Spirit and Assault Vehicle (DedTrans), and one that does (GKLR, Heavy Support).

LR Crusaders under Daemonhunters also always get to fire their Hurricane Bolters (I really get the feeling you don't even read the Codex?). Add in PotMS from the FAQ, and you get something not exactly fair - move 12", fire everything! It also comes with Extra Armour for free.
    Yeah, and a free Multi-Melta.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-04-23 at 10:53 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #209

Um... What? Why I never saw any love for Vindicare?

If I read thing right, he has rending/pinning AP2 weapon that can ignore invulnerables, lessens cover saves, can kill any target in a unit, so it laughs at revenues/upgrade characters, has 2-wound shots, 3d6 vehicle penetration, and most importantly, laughs at "you can't shot me, I'm in close combat" rule, allowing you to kill everything he can see.

A-Most expensive assassin.

B-ONE shot per round. This is the big main point. Sure he hits on a 2+, but he only wounds on a 4+, meaning he won't be doing anything at all half the game. He has the special ammo but...

C-It can only use one special ammo at a time, and only one kind per game.

So let's say you see a librarian. It has two wounds but also an invulnerable save. So either you use the two wound shoot and pray you both wound and he fails the inv save(25% chance of sucess), or you just can't head-shot him in one round.

A termie? You still only wound on a 4+ and got one single shot to pull it out. And next round you can't use shield breaker again.

So you'll have quite an hard time geting your points back. The vindicaire really can't "head shot" heroes as he can't combine all his special ammos, so his best bet is taking out veteran sergeants/warlocks/other elite infantry, but he'll be taking one per round best. If your oponent floods the field with guardsmen squads or mobs or orks/nids, well, the vindicaire isn't doing that much.

D- Vehicle penetration of 3d6 will average at around 10,5. Not really that hot. Good luck scoring a penetrating hit even in an ork trukk.

Well, that's suposed to be his job. Assault the most expensive squad of your oponent, unleash a dozen deadly attacks and then when they kill him in the counter attack explode on a glorious GRIMDARK blast, further weakening them. It's somewhat like Guardsmen Marbo, a suicide unit that goes out with a bang. Also the cheapest assassin, so he'll end up killing more points than he's worth if you do it right.

Works somewhat better in Apocalypse where you're assured to find super expensive squads with relatively few models to suicide-charge.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-04-23 at 10:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    C-It can only use one special ammo at a time, and only one kind per game.
    This is wrong. He has all three types, every game. He can only use one at a time though (once ). I think that's where you misread.

"...the Vindicare has one of each of the following special rounds [...]. The special rounds are used one at a time..."

Everything else in your post is spot-on. Which is kind of weird...
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-04-23 at 10:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome