New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Sagas IC

Raia and Garadiel
    Raia nodded to Garadiel, as her sharp eyes flickered, like she was remembering something.
    "Yes...I fought with some worthy foes. But all of them were beaten. I am afraid, brother, that there will be no challenge left... But I am intrigued by the people called 'Humans.' More than the Tumi, and more than the Tengu. I would like to learn more of them. So I think that will be my next path to walk." With a serious frown, she looked back at Garadiel.
    "I am sad that we cannot run together as we once did, brother. The Lands of the Dead are not a place I should pass to idly. That is what my heart tells me."
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Do Not Pass Through the Shadow

"Indeed, the land of life's shadow is not a place for a triumphant warrior, or indeed of anyone at all. I shall seal it soon, so that our siblings will not be able to prance about in it or make demands of me based on the souls they can disturb there." Garadiel replies, his face growing slightly harsher when he speaks of disturbing the souls, "If at all possible, Raia, do not pass through the shadow. I do not think you would be much improved by a reincarnation and I should miss having you for a sister," Garadiel finishes, wearing the grin that he uses when he is making light of something he takes seriously.
    Last edited by White Blade; 2010-04-29 at 03:41 PM.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Eridi & Rognir - The Mortals

He could tell that Calantha had been a sore spot, but it was good knowing his sister was at least still alive.

Reaching into his pack, he got out a clay pot, beautifully painted. "They are craftsmen of their own right, Father, grand craftsmen who make things not only of use, but of beauty." Opening the pot, his next item was the map. "Here is the masterpiece I was gifted. Its detail is perfect, the scale is without any err. Until this, I hadn't even viewed cartography as a craft, but as an art, yet this map is what led me to my good fortune. It brought me not only to the cave of iron, but to a place where materials for my own smithy could be found.

"It was a quarry, Father, deeper than your tallest room, farther reaching than I could even see! These people had seemed so simple, but here was a place where rock had been taken to build a grand city of which no trace nearby could be found. But that had been long ago, nature has reclaimed most of the pit now. Judging by the largest plants, I would say at least a few centuries or more have passed."

Sighing, he went to the one place he had dreaded most, the truth he wished he could deny. "Father, this is no longer my home. These halls no longer feel like they did when I was a child, they are only a place I once belonged, a distant memory. Jin'Thul and his people gave me kindness when I would've dealt in vengeance, and I promised them I would repay it. I want to make their lives better, I want to make them a grand city for their generosity, a city that will rival the one that has disappeared. I have seen that, truly, the greatest craft of all would be to mold those people, a lowly tribe, into an entire civilization, one whose name will be known to all four corners of the world, until time falters and darkness crawls over the sun. I will heat them with knowledge, temper them with work ethic, and cool them with morality."

Looking Rognir straight in the eye, he finished his thoughts, "My Father, you have given me everything up until this point. I have learned how to make things of worth beside your hands. I learned when I fail to never give up, that I had just found a way not to do what I wanted. Now I can truly thank you for that, because, in these past days at sea, I have realized something. I know where my real path begins, and that is in a small village on those open plains. Not here, not in my secluded smithy, but beside good-hearted Jin'Thul and hard-working Noss." Eridi looked to Rognir now, not for approval he had always sought as a young apprentice, but for acceptance.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

For three months Alarin studied under the great poet’s tutelage. Alarin’s tutor was the great Míngzhì, a great scholar who had mastered every art and science known in the land. With each passing day Alarin learned more and more of the arts, of natural philosophy, of history and war. He was even taught the common trades such as blacksmithing. There was not a single subject in which the master did not teach his young apprentice, who exceeded all previous students. As had become customary for the boy and his teacher over the term of his education, the master’s household would gather for the evening and discuss their day, and what the Alarin would learn the next day. On the last day of the third month, no such conversation was held, for he had finally learned all that Míngzhì had to offer.

Instead Míngzhì told Alarin that it was time for one final test, to prove his mastery of the various subjects. When the sun rose the next day, the boy would be locked in the high tower of the estate for one week. While sealed away from all outside influences, he would be expected to produce creations that exemplify his skills and prowess. No easy sleep could be found for the young god, for he was far too excited to prove himself to his teacher and those that would could to examine his works.

Night passed and the sun rose to meet the master and apprentice eagerly awaiting it. Though both were excited for it's coming, they had far different reasons. The boy was overjoyed to acheive mastery in the arts he had so longed labored in, and become more akin to the humans he loved so. Míngzhì on the other hand was overwhelmed with hope that at last he had found a student that would surpass him. As the sun rose in the distance, the student entered into the tower, and the doorway was shut.

The tower imposed upon the sky itself, streching the very limits of possiblity. No mere tower was it, for it contained rooms of every imaginable purpose, and was stocked for possible need. Thousand of scrolls sat unused, while inks of every color under the sun were stored in uncountable numbers of vials. Strange and exotic materials from far off lands such as unicorn hair and dragon bones were avaible to those that desired it. A forges built in and looms were accessible. Truly, no need could go unanswered for in that lonely tower. The boy quickly went to work.

Days and night he labored, every stroke and as graceful as the last, each movement precise. Late into the night his work could be heard in the city, and peasent would often claim to see a silhouette in the single window at the top of the lonely tower, ever toiling at whever undertaking he was currently persueing. Seven days passed in what seemed like an instant for Alarin, but it was enough. On the morning of the eighth day the doors to the keep were opened at last, and Míngzhì marvelled at the creations that had been wrought by his greatest student's hand.

Though he was no crafter like his brother Eridi, he spent many a long time with him in the forges, studying his brother's work. His appreciation for his brother's endeaveors and his own diligence in studies had shown to be fruitful at last, and manyfold were his creations. The bloody, mindless violence of barbaric axes had long fallen out of favor in these islands, and so Alarin created a sword from the ores found in the remains of meteorites. As black as the moonless night sky, it was a beautiful work of art that combined form with function. History scrolls that were lavished with details and illustrations of the empire's history were hung from the walls of the towers like tapestries, and told of times back to the founding under Pan-Lung, the first emperor.

A small trinket, no bigger than the palm of ones hand was the next item. Though no more than a simple combination of metals laid together in a precise fashion, the peice of metalworking always pointed north, guiding the way for lost travellers. Such was the creation of the world's first compass. The healing arts were something that Alarin had taken an interest in. By combining several poisons and healing herbs, he had created a small potion that could cure any poison. Though not replicable by any mortal's hands,. it was enough that if used sparingly could save countless lives.

But foremost of Alarin's creations were his newest instuments. Crafted from items common to the lands, a string instrument similar to Alarin's lute was created. He dubbed his new creation a Shamisen, and explained how tom play it his tutor.

For himself, his own lute was taken apart and recreated in a new form. The orginal was a gift from his father, given to him when he had first taken up music. Now, it would truly be his own. The wood was taken from an ancient elder tree that was over two thousand years old, and said to have been planted by Pan-Lung himself. Now, it would be used to play the most beautiful music in the world. The strings were plucked unicorn hair, capable of making any sound. Characters of many languages were inscribed into it, from the runic symbols of the north to the artistic kanji of the empire. It was such a thing of beauty that when Míngzhì plucked a cord to hear its sound, a single tear of fell from his eyes at the perfection of it.

The final test complete, Míngzhì bowed before the young god and proclaimed him a true master. Alarin, however was too unused to people bowing before him and told him to stand, for they were equals. With this simple act of kindess and modety, the old scholar realized that at last that before him was someone who could finally surpass him, and he rejoiced. And so the whole city rejoiced, for a festival was thrown in honor of the wandering bard who had surpassed Míngzhì.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, created my totem at last. i should have my quest finished tomarrow. Sorry about taking so long

Founder of the Playgound Misfits, The Imperial Guard Reigment in the Playground
    Commisar Baxter, Local Morale Officer, of the Playground Misfits

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Raia and Garadiel
    Raia's faint smile returned, gracing her features again.
    "Yes, i think that there is still far too much to do before passing into Shadow. I hope that even should you seal off that world, that you will not seal yourself off. Certainly I also would miss having you for a brother, Garadiel." She responded. Turning to look at the hallway again, she let out a small sigh.
    "This whole place has changed perhaps... We have changed. But now is no time for confusion in purpose. I must depart again. I hope it is not too long until we meet again, brother. You will hear many tales of me from the dead, or so is my intention. Until our next meeting, farewell."

Raia at Toukoku
    Raia returned to her own land of Toukoku now, and she wandered through the valley, taking in all of the aspects of human life that were there. The pottery they made, the weaving of clothes, the playing of children... Yes they were a lot like the Gods had been when they were young, or so she thought.
    Under her guidance Toukoku and the Twin Mountains grew strong and many. Raia looked on, pleased to see the order and their skills sharpen.
    Often she watched over her people, and yet they would always salute and bow themselves before her. As it should be, she thought, and yet she was disappointed. To try and learn more about them, she was disrupting them greatly perhaps...and so she had an idea. Coming before the Tumi, she sat and discussed with them their ways. The Tumi, being like the Oni from which they came, could send out their spirits to possess people and greatly increase their strength in battle. This is why Raia had taken them to her, for they could be like heralds and pillars of strength for her armies.
    Yet now she desired to learn these secrets for herself, and they taught her the methods.

Having learned these secrets, Raia sat upon Aptokim and put herself into a deep trance, as if ready for battle meditation. She separated her spirit from her divine body and sent it forth into the town.
    Now even in Toukoku, the touch of Tumi was still unknown, because Raia had not commanded them to do such things. But a young woman named Taiyu became filled with Raia's spirit, and for the time, Raia walked among the humans in mortal form.
    Taiyu quickly became famous however, as Raia could never restrain herself from a challenge, and with her knowledge, Taiyu quickly rose to become a great leader and fighter- taking three tournaments in a row. her divine presence finally judged, Taiyu was treasured and worshiped, as the people sat her upon the commander's chair in the council.
    Raia, annoyed and jealous of this attention, at last departed from Taiyu's body, and returned. She came down from Aptokim in anger, lightning and thunder clashing and howling about her.
    The terrified people threw themselves before her and she spoke to them.
    "Taiyu's strength and power came from me. Do the soldiers admire their spear-shaft more than it's tip? Reverence proper for your leaders is appropriate, but do not think narrowly of a captain and forget the general. I am Raia, and Taiyu serves me justly."
    Raia spoke commandingly, and the people obeyed. Knowing though, that she had led them in confusion, Raia spoke kindly to Taiyu, and rose her up to be an example to them.
    And to Raia, she remembered this lesson greatly. A soldier is not merely a tool for her gain. The whole condition must be understood.

Acts used:
    Spoiler
    Show

Major Acts:
    • Gain Ability: Channeling
    • Create Artifact: Tetsuzou- The Tengu blade and now lightning sword of Raia.

Minor Acts
    • Inspire Population: Humans, Tengu of Toukoku in the ways of warfare
    • Improve Population: Humans, Tengu of Toukoku

1 Major act, 1 Minor act, 1 Ceremony remaining

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Meeting With... Well, Pretty Much Everyone

Shen Zhi Shu

"Indeed, my son. You are blessed among my children, for you have found your place in life. Now, go, and may the south wind be your guide; go now with my blessing, sage of Zhang."

Eridi

Then, the All-Father did something that Eridi could not have expected - he embraced his son, laughing as he did so.

"My son, out of all my children, you are the one who understands! You have gone out into the world, and found it greater and more real than you could have imagined - and now you realize, now you know that it is time for you to walk alone.

Know that you are still my son, and you will always heed my call, but now you must walk alone for a time. You have found the strength to rise from nothing, you have mastered the skill and wisdom needed to truly be a god among mortals, and now you are a man.

Go forth then, my son, along the path that you have chosen for yourself. Know only that my blessing is upon you, and I will heed your words in your time of need - and you likewise. Go, make what you will of the world, shape it to your will, and follow your path."

Nara

There is a garden beside the house at the end of the world, where plants unimaginable by man grow. Here there is a plant which will make any mortal who eats it immortal, while here there is a flower beyond the beauty of any terrestial rose, priceless herbs and shoots, all of them unique.

It is here that Nara finds his father, commanding the plants to grow by his very presence. The All-Father turns to greet Nara, his son of the growing world, then bids him sit down and speak of what he has done.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Nara sits.
    "I have changed father since last we met. I set out to become like you and I return enlightened by the knowledge that the path I sought to tread was not as I had thought it. I have found solace in the natural world and now seek to nurture it and aid itss growth. But I did not come here to speak of my deeds nor did I have any intention of ever coming here with such a purpose. I wish to know where Aldric and Calantha's exile has taken them. I wish to speak with them about what has happenned that I may understand and that your family does not fall into ruin."

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Meeting With... Well, Pretty Much Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Shen Zhi Shu

"Indeed, my son. You are blessed among my children, for you have found your place in life. Now, go, and may the south wind be your guide; go now with my blessing, sage of Zhang."
    Finally, the satisfied Shen Zhi Shu made his farewell to Rognir/Pan-Lung. Once more he made his triumphant transformation as the Pheonix, the last time he would do so before he learned how to polymorph his body, and returned to Zhang. However, things were not as it would seem Shen Zhi Shu would remember.

Xiang Jian and outlying villages welcomed Shen with open arms, but they were the only city to do so. Of the many city states, only they would recognize Shen Zhi Shu. This refusal to accept Shen Zhi Shu would cause a Schism throughout Zhang for many years before he would reclaim Zhang. By now Shen Zhi Shu had thought of himself as responsible for the caretaking of Xiang Jian and, of course, the Great Shrine.

Yes, he thought, this Shrine will do.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    3 Major acts to make the Great Shrine Of Himiko a Sanctum
    1 Minor Act to create the Blood Monk divine class

Perhaps the citizens would benefit from better farming techniques, Shen Zhi Shu had thought. He didn't think that this was what they needed the most when he was a half-god. After all, the people might not have had much more than they could eat themselves, but the land in Zhang near the Great Rivers in the main Islands were very fertile. Shen Zhi Shu ordered that dissimilar crops be planted in the same area during methodical sequences throughout the seasons.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Minor Act to introduce Crop Rotation
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2010-04-30 at 11:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Meeting With Nara

"Mark your words carefully, my son; speak not to rouse my anger. I see that Garadiel has spoken with you about them, but I do not believe you know why I was forced to punish them.

You say that you have found solace in the world I have created - remember this, that you are the caretaker and I the creator. While you seek to understand it, to know it as you know your own mind, to master it, I knew it from the world's beginning as only the craftsman can. Is it your place to prevent a thing from coming to ruin, as you percieve it? I have ordained this thing to be, and I understand as no one else what will come of it.

Remember that you are my son, and I am your father, and though you may have changed like a chrysalis opened in the spring, this will not change. Do not presume your new-found purpose makes you above my chastisement.

Ask a boon of me, question me of Raia or Eridi, explain to me the way the world now turns, but do not ask me of Calantha and Aldric. Again I ask you, and a thrice time - ask not of them further."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Nara rose.

"I do not wish to anger you father and so I will take my leave of you. I seek no boon for the powers you have given us are the greatest boon any could desire, I have heard of Raia and I doubt Eridi is in any peril so I shall seek them out in my own time, there is nothing I could speak with you of how the world now turns which you do not already know of, as you said you ordained what the world will be and so anything I could speak of you in your great wisdom will likely already know. I will now depart. I do not seek anger against any of my bretheren and so I shall not speak of this subject to you any more, but it is this same emotion that drives me not to anger you that made me come here in the first place. Goodbye father. Goodbye."

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Eridi & Rognir - A Simple Favor

"Thank you, Father," said Eridi as he released the embrace, "Thank you forevermore! I had hoped you would understand, but this is even greater!" Packing his things back up, he continued. "I must return at once, much work is ahead of me. These people need to be taught well, and only time will allow me to do that!" Rushing towards the door, he stopped suddenly and turned around.

"Er, Father, might I ask of you a small boon before I leave? It has recently come to my attention that the magic of enchantment is something that could greatly improve things even I have made. I ask only to be able to study the books in the grand library on that art, preferably by taking them on my return voyage. I would happily stay and read them here, if you would prefer that." The young deity's face showed that he would abide by Rognir's decision without any further argument. He had already been given much that day and, honestly, he didn't expect to be given anymore. He hoped, but this was his father's house, and he would abide by his father's words.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric was silent for a while and just stared at his discarded weapon. He wagged a finger towards the eastern sky and laughed.

"Clearly, Rognir does not know all... for if he did, I should have been struck dead just now. Hmmm..."

He waggled his eyebrows and rolled the thought over and over in his slippery mind like he was appraising a piece of fruit.

"Ah! Perhaps if I say it aloud then? Hmmm?"

He cleared his throat, then turned to address the sky. He spoke clearly, yet softly.

"Begging your pardon, Father, I was just entertaining the thought of setting fire to the sky and razing your hall so that no stone lay atop another and the seas wiped its memory from the face of the world."

Again, no lightning bolts or divine retribution of any kind.

"Ah, you've gone deaf in your twilight years as well, hmm? Apologies, Father, cup your hand to your ear and crane your neck this way." His voice grew louder and louder until he was shouting. "By your word: The skies shall burn and your hall will be lost beneath the waves! ... and even if I fulfilled your prophesy, you would not release me from this curse you old fool! If Rognir is all powerful and all knowing, then it was Rognir who brought us this...! eh?"

Suddenly interrupted (and thunder stolen), he turned to examine whatever was tugging on his sleeve.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-04-30 at 01:36 PM.
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

13. - Top - End - #163

Default Calantha, servants: TEA PARTAY!

"There! Now you look just like you should." Calantha carefully clipped off the end of the string, after tying it into a knot, and looked at her Agony doll with satisfaction; the creature had a mouth, now, and all of the cuts had been neatly sewn shut, and Callie had made her a pretty blue dress that was ruffly enough to disguise the lack of legs. The girl herself was wearing a fantastic concoction that was all ruffles and bows and layers and lace, and was purple; she felt like a queen in it, and wasn't that what every little girl wanted? Even a goddess needed to have fun sometimes...her hair was kept (mostly) contained by a large purple bow, and hovering windows were flung open to allow sunlight and the gentle spring breeze in.

Calantha's servants were dressed in finery as well; dresses of varying pastels for the girls, and smart suits with lacy cravats and little top hats for the boys. In the middle of the room a table hovered; there were more chairs than should possibly fit around this table, but somehow everyone had a spot to sit without crowding anyone else. The girl was delighted, but something was missing...

"Of course!" She beckoned over one of her servants, whispering in his ear; for a moment, he looked perplexed, and she flung a greatcoat--which seemingly appeared out of nowhere--over his shoulders and grinned.

"Go! Go and find him! I can't possibly have tea without him!" And give him this!" She reached out of the window (in the field, it would look like a thin, pale arm appeared out of nowhere, plucked a flower, and then vanished) and pulled a vivid purple iris up, passing it off.

"He'll know what to do with it!"

-------(A bit later, wherever Aldric is)-------

The mad doll looked...a little perturbed to be interrupting this lunatic who was--for all intents and purposes--shouting at the sky. His mistress's madness he understood, of course, but this was a whole different ken...still, he tugged hesitantly on the god's sleeve, then backed up a pace when those eyes turned on him.

"Ah. Begging your pardon for the interruption, my Lord, but the Lady Calantha requests you join her at all possible haste. She cannot hold her tea party without you, you see...ah!" Fishing about in his comically over sized greatcoat (the end of which was dragging a good foot behind him), the servant pulled out the orchid and held it up for consideration.

"My Lady has also requested I give you this, and says you'll know what to do with it."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Phromm

Phromm's return to the band of Mountain People was celebrated by a feast. Admittedly, the feast consisted mainly of salted ptarmigan and snowshoe hare, but it was still a feast, centred around the standing stone. The Predator-God recounted the tale of his battle against the Father of the Mountains many times, and never did he embelish the tale or add details that were untrue. No, Phromm saw no point in adding to a story of prowess and valour that was already filled with battle-skill. So impressed were the People that they named themselves the Orofolk, or 'People of the Mountains' after the now-deceased bear; Phromm forbid them to take his name, but allowed them use of the name of his opponent.

After the party, Phromm turned the skull into solid granite, to remain forever uneroded as a monument to the most savage beast of the North-West Mountains.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acts: 1 Minor to turn the skull to stone (Change Landscape)
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Defeated, Aldric slumped his shoulders, then melted into a wan smile. Sweet Calantha was possibly the only thing saving him from doing something rash. He tucked the iris behind his ear and bid the servant leave him, telling the rag doll he'd be along in a moment.

Now was certainly not the time for action of any kind, rash or not. Rognir, while not as wise as Aldric had once hoped, was indisputably powerful. Certainly the most powerful being in the world, as far as Aldric was aware. He needed information. There was always the possibility that more of the All-Father's enemies still hid in the shadows of the world... though he knew not what he would do with them if he found them. Strike them down to get back into good graces? Or join forces with them to tear down everything Rognir had built. He also needed to keep tabs on his siblings, both the ones he tolerated and the arrogant ones who might have some damned fool notion to teach him a 'lesson' for upsetting dear old dad's dear old heart.

He cast out his hand and a shadowy mist sprayed forth that coalesced into a swarm of inky black bats. They began to encircle him, spare one who, slightly dazed, perched on his shoulder and grasped his tiny head in his wings.

"Cover the land. Report back to me everything you find out about my kin and any being of great power. Do not be seen. If you are discovered, say nothing of me: I am not your master, I do not exist. Understood?"

There was a chorus of chirps and squeaks in the air before the swarm dispersed to fly southward. Satisfied with his work, Aldric turned towards Calantha's meadow and banished Despair (who still lay in the snow at his feet).

Considered little more than a nuisance by the world at large, Hermit Bats hide themselves in discarded (or stolen) pieces of clothing and infest urban areas. They nibble out holes for their wings in things like hats and boots, turning them into mobile shelter and handy urban camouflage. Unfortunately, their intended role as spies for Aldric is often compromised by their penchant to find the most expensive and ostentatious piece of clothing and wear it as a status symbol. Swarms of flying hats are a monthly occurrence in some heavily populated areas, but the phenomena is usually dismissed as the work of a quirky wizard. Hermit Bats operating in rural areas are more diligent and use hollowed out gourds for their hiding places. Some even go so far as to construct a wicker sphere and cover it with appropriate flora. Hermit Bats speak Common, but usually decline to speak at all until bribed or threatened; they are perfectly willing to sell information (for the right hat, of course).

At the Multicolored House in the Middle of the Meadow...

Cautiously, Aldric rapped on the bright door before turning the knob to enter.

Spoiler
    Show

Create Monsters: "Hermit Bats" - 1 Major Act
    1 MA Remaining.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-04-30 at 09:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Planetar

Default Gift and a Ghost

Garadiel had enjoyed his latest foray into the underworld. He had guided many souls to the light and had taught many psychopomps the ropes of the trade. But there was another kind of work that needed doing.

For you see, Garadiel hated death greatly but he loved life more. So he sought out a place to give life, subtle though his gift would be. Eventually he went Raia's lands in Toukoko and hid amidst the darkness of the place, protecting the children from death. His magic worked well and for a year and a day no child in Toukoko would be stillborn nor would any mother die during childbirth. Then he left, without ever telling Raia that he had been there, though he figured she would work it out. It wasn't as if a lot of her siblings would just drop by without saying anything, prevent all death during childbirth and then leave.

Then he carried on to a place on a hill, for he felt the terrible disturbance of a soul. A ghost. The first ghost, Garadiel thought, that he had ever felt in the living world. Of course, all souls were ghost in one sense of the word. But nonetheless, no soul thus far had managed to linger on in the living world without returning to the living. So Garadiel approached the ghost with a degree of calmness and poise, watching as it flitted about in anger.

"Why so angry, dear friend?" Garadiel asked affectionately, as was his way with all the many spirits that passed through his care.

"Because it is all wrong," the Ghost replied, "And do not call me friend!"

"Even if you do not know it yet, I at least am your friend. Whether or not you chose to be mine is really completely up to you. So... What is all wrong?"

"This place... I cannot touch it or feel it."

"Don't you realize you are dead? You cannot touch or feel things when you are dead."

"Why is that?" the Ghost asked, his brow furrowing.

"Why is it death?" Garadiel asked by way of reply.

"No, I mean 'why am I dead?'" the Ghost replied.

"Well..." Garadiel thought for a moment, reaching out with his magic to find the truth. The man, it seemed, had died of natural causes, a heart attack. Hardly the sort of thing one would expect of a ghost. But then, Garadiel thought, it isn't as if I've met any ghosts before. "Your heart failed. No other reason, really."

"Well that's a bit of a bother." the Ghost said.

"You're certainly taking this in stride," Garadiel commented.

"Oh, I suppose. Its just... It was getting on my nerves, flitting about, unable to touch things, and I guess when you got here and explained everything it made a great deal more sense, which made it less frustrating and disturbing. But what should I do now?"

"Well, as it happens, I'm the guide of the dead and I'm here to guide you to back to life."

"Oh are you? That's good then." the Ghost remarked and Garadiel thought to himself that he had never had such a compliant student before, he offered the ghost his hand and they disappeared, entering the realm of the Dead, where Garadiel would guide him into life.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Minor Act to increase the population of Toukoko.
    Last edited by White Blade; 2010-05-01 at 08:55 AM.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

17. - Top - End - #167

BardGuy

Xiang Jian had recently had much to celebrate, with the overthrow of their decadent emperor and fending off the foreign armies being chief examples. Now the ascension of a common vegabond to one of the greatest artists and scholars in the city-state lead to a great celebration. Common peasents and great lords both took to the streets to join in the festivities. Music of all kinds were played in great amphitheaters, and the legends of Pan-Lung travels were told to inquisitive children. The arts were celebrated in all manner of sorts, but none could compare to show that Alarin put on for his last day in the capitol.

Seven days he toiled with the greatest musicians in the city to create a spectacle, the likes of which would go down in the legend of yore. All manner of instuments were involved, and the greatest voices were gathered to form a great choir. With such a union of skills and grace, directed by the great bard himself, the first symphony of the world was composed. At nightfall of the seventh day, all gathered in the grand city square to experience the greatest performance in Xiang Jian since Pan-Lung himself graced the mortal world.

The crowd was instantly stunned by the beauty of it all. As the instruments began to play, the great choir openned with the one of the most beautiful harmonies the world had ever known. At the forefront of them all was Alarin, who conducted the event. Music filled the air, and with it, magic. The sky itself changed colors, while lights of myriad luminosity washed over the assemled people. Color exploded in the sky, making the event as much as a show for the eyes as it was for the ears. It seemed as if the aurora borealis had descended so far south to watch the symphony itself.

The show ended in a brilliant display of skill and grace, for Alarin himself joined into the fray, contributing his own divine abilites. None were left untouched by the display of skill by these masters of song and music. The boy was finally content with himself and the islands, and had long ago forgotten his orginal reason for coming to the place. He had lingered so long only becuase he felt that something was unfinished. Now, he accomplished himself in these lands, and could leave without regret. That night after the festivals end, Alarin awoke to see the moon full. It called to him, as if a beacon in the darkness, a light by which to guide him on his travels. So compelled, the boy knew he could no longer stay. He knew though, that he also not just leave without a single word to Míngzhì. That man had taken him when he was but a seemingly lowly begger, and taught himself all he had to know. Kindness such as that could not go unanswered.

With no other choice, Alarin took out his his writing set and a bamboo scroll, and to write a letter. In it he explained who he really was, and why he was travelling the world. The story of the All Father, who was the first emperor and Alarins father, as well as the boy's quest was told in detail. In the end, no relevant detail was left out, and Alarin thanked Míngzhì for his kindness. Alarin promised his former master that one day he would return unhiddened and bless the land, and the old teacher who had shown him such kindess. With his final task done, Alarin snuck out of the house and returned to his travels, not to be seen again until his quest was complete. Though the grand boat given to him be The Kraki had long been unsued, so greatly was it crafted was it that it made no difference. It was dawn when Alarin set out, and he sailed towards the rising sun.

18. - Top - End - #168

Default At the Sanctum of Delirium

The door swung open at Aldric's touch, revealing--for an instant--a dizzying maze of mirrors and walls and corners that went all the wrong way. Then all of that faded and there grew from the madness a clear path, brightly-lit with rainbow-flowers growing in the walls that shed the softly-colored glow. It was but a short walk to the room, and when Aldric entered he would find the place festooned as if for a celebration.

Calantha beamed, seeing her brother step into the room, and somersaulted away from her table and down to the "floor", catching both of Aldric's hands in her own.

"Come, come! It wouldn't be a proper tea without you here!"

She was happier than she'd been in quite some time, here in safety and peace, in a world she made herself and controlled herself; tugging her brother up to the table, she gave him a gentle push into the chair next to hers.

"Just pour, and whatever tea--or drink--you want comes out! Isn't it marvelous? The cakes are the same, they're whatever you want to eat!"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Nara left his father and headed along the shoreline. In his travels he had not heard of either of his banished relatives. News had spread about the peerless bard and the mighty wizard conquerer. He had met with many of his siblings but bar his talk with Garadiel he had heard nothing of Aldric or Calantha. He was starting to doubt that they were still even alive or still in this land. Garadiel had the Underworld, what was to prevent them having retreated to a similar place? Surely though there must be some place he had not yet thought of, some forgotten part of the mortal land where word was not fast to spread...

Up in The North...
    The night was dark as the bloody red shape moved across the snow. It had killed a lot of creatures on its way here. There were so many animals that it had never seen before that it raised the thrill of the hunt to new levels. Of course the real 'prey' was not for killing. It was for finding. The scent was muddled and hard to track but he was no mortal hunter and the scent he sought was of no mortal creature, was unique or at the very least rare. it was...divine.

A smile.

Wit was almost as delectable as flesh, pity he so often forewent chat and got straight to the biting. Still it was in his nature. His nature. Another smile. His nature was red and... no... no no no that would never do.... Hmmm at times this was hard even for a God. Still on the plus side he was very close now. But what of the finer dramatic detail? He had considered burying himself in snow and then leaping out roaring something impressive and posing dramatically but that would take more effort than it was worth and could easily be ruined if they came across him whilst he was preparing. Hmmm My claws are as red... teeth, tooth, red in the.... fur as red as... no still needed a bit of work. Perhaps he should eat the liver of somebody witty. Would that work? He was pretty sure there was something special about the liver. Thats it! Orgo Red in Liver and.... Rognir be damned that sounds dreadful! Perhaps he was looking at this the wrong way... maybe it neaded more spontaneity to it... On the other hand of his spontaneously came out with something like what he had just thought....

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Default Tea Party

Aldric awkwardly anchored himself to the floating chair, quite sure it would separate itself from him and somehow he'd no longer be suspended. When Calantha had decided to have tea in the middle of the room, she meant the exact middle. Amidst the dancing crockery, floating furniture and animated rag doll servants, Aldric only smiled. Though, far from mad himself, he had a certain appreciation for the way this little sister thought and found himself adapting easily to her world. Of course the honey pot poured its honey for you... it was only polite, after all!

Aldric thanked the honey pot softly for its service and tentatively sipped his cup of what he hoped would be jasmine tea. Smirking slightly, he gave a polite nod to the patchwork Agony doll, propped up in a chair opposite him, stuffed into a frilly blue absurdity with a permanent red smile stitched onto her face. Remembering his manners (and forgetting the macabre effigy of Rafa (who'd committed suicide to avoid facing him)) he turned to his hostess with a genuine, warm smile playing across his lips.

"It is a lovely party, Lady Calantha... and you've such a beautiful home. Thank you for inviting me."

Stranger still than the fact that the lord of terror and wielder of despair incarnate was sitting down to a child's tea party, complete with dolls, was the fact that he was enjoying himself.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Eridi & Rognir - A Simple Favor

Eridi

"Take what you will from my library, but remember that one day they must be returned. I trust that you will not forget my favor to you in days to come, my son."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Raia
    Toukoku was running smoothly. The people lived and flourished, the Tengu trained always for war, and the Tumi guided and also nurtured their strength.
    Raia was ready. But there was no foe for them, as Toukoku was a protected place.
    But the people were healthy and able. Very healthy, and Raia saw within the subtleties the craft of one of her brothers, and knew it was Garadiel.

And she smiled silently to herself, thinking fondly of their travels.
    And so she also desired to travel. To see more of the world, and to learn always more about the mortals. She headed East again to the lands she had come to before. But there was no war here, in the lands she came to. And so Raia felt her own strength lessened.

Using the technique of the Tumi, she became a mortal again, and walked with wide eyes, hearing great music and seeing blessed crops growing widely.
    The land of Xiang Jian was wealthy and fertile, even beyond her own. And for a time Raia braided her hair in their style and walked among them, until at last she heard of the great Shrine of Himiko.
    The exploits of Shen Zhi Shu were renowned here, and Raia learned much of her brother's deeds.
    And quietly Raia left again.

Back in Toukoku, Raia stood and stretched. Then she spoke to her commanders and people.
    "You all are the greatest. The best warriors gathered in this world. And now it is time. Too long have you not shown me your skill. Too long have you not honored your worthiness. Grab your sword and spear. The shield and bow. "
    Raia unsheathed the great Tetsuzou from her side and raised it to the sky.
    "We go to War."

23. - Top - End - #173

Default Teaparty: Finale

The tea had been drunk, and scones had been eaten, and Calantha had claimed the adorable tiny bat clinging to her brother's shoulder as her very own--"I shall call him Winston, and he will stay here with me"--and now the young goddess was nodding off. She'd plied the little bat with tidbits from the table, that turned into small, wriggling creatures just before Winston had swallowed them down; now, stuffed and happy, the small creature was nestled in the folds and ruffles of Calantha's dress, and she was idly stroking his head with one delicate finger.

Over the course of the meal, the chairs and table had steadily dropped to the "floor" of the room; now, the table disappeared altogether, and Calantha yawned as her surroundings turned into a multicolored rainbow of a room. She stood, and when she did her chair disappeared as well; padding over to the bed, she shucked her dress with a child's lack of care for who saw her--putting Winston on the soft covers, first. A nightgown whisked out of her dresser and folded in around her, and she curled up in bed with her new companion, blinking sleepily content eyes at her brother.

"I like it here, Aldric...I want to stay forever..." She yawned, and smiled, letting her eyes close. "We'll stay forever, jus' you and me."

The goddess slept.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Aldric smooched his sister on the forehead and made sure she was tucked in properly, just as he had every night in Rognir's Hall and every night before then in their mother's home.

"You are a very lucky little chiroptera..." he wagged a stern finger at the now very plump Winston, who was shamelessly snuggling into Calantha's pillow and smiling a smug little batty smile. "You keep an eye on her," he warned while fetching his plush doppelganger from his chair on the other side of the room and deposited him on his sister's bed in case she needed him. Aldric lingered a moment longer, as he always did, fretting he'd left out some minor detail, then whisked out of the house silently.

Stalking to the edge of the meadow, back to tundra and reality, his hand shot into the air just in time to catch a very fatigued hermit bat as he came in for a bit of a crash landing. He cradled the creature gently in his black gloves and brought him close to his face. The bat chattered to him in a high pitched and nervous voice, reporting a slaughtered nomad band not far to the south... and an enormous red wolf steadily making its way towards them.

Aldric left the bat to rest in the soft grass just steps behind him, then with a wicked, lopsided grin he turned south and leisurely walked out to meet his gruesome guest.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-05-03 at 07:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Driven Batty

Hermit Bats

Oh, what things the Hermit Bats could see. They saw civilizations and tribes, true, and how often they were ignorant and defenseless from the dark outside their firelight, but some things not of the mortal realm were glimpsed by the bats.

Some saw the giant tribes, scattered on islands and in the upper north; one or two saw different breeds of giants working together to enslave a mortal population or pillage a strongly defended village. Such brotherhood had been unknown in the days of Rognir. Needless to say, it's a touch disturbing, and the number of reports suggests that it's not an isolated occurence.

More disturbing, however, was what they couldn't see. One or two of the hermit bats decided to wing their way as far as they could towards the west. They didn't come back. Even those who flew over the western islands would report gaps in their memory, or turned tail and headed back east, where it wasn't so forboding.

One or two might have spotted a man dressed in red with scarred lips, but he had a habit of disappearing in the blink of an eye.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Orgo smiled as Aldric approached. No theatrics tonight, the man had known he was here so all the more reason to act 'amiably'.

"You must be Aldric then. The banished God. I was under the impression your sister would be here too but from what I have heard it is you who I truly wish to speak with."

Orgo stood up and walked to meet Aldric. His appearance was strange, a mix between a man and all sorts of other creatures. Wolf, bear maybe a small hint of fox in the ragged red fur that covered his body. But there was nothing animalistic in the intelligence behhind his eyes and the wicked smile spread across his face.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

"Banished? Now what poor soul told you that?" Aldric shifted his weight lazily, then sunk his hands deep inside his coat pockets. Only Garadiel and Rognir knew about what had happened. So, it must have been Garadiel who let the news slip since the only other options were too laughable to consider: either some outside force had been privy to what transpired in Rognir's Hall... or Rognir himself had dispatched the wolf to have a word with him.

"Where I come from, it's considered good form to exchange a pleasant greeting and give your name first. But, you seem a busy wolf-thing and I'm not much for formalities either. So! What say I give you, oh, until I get bored for you to tell me why you're here and give me a very good reason to not kill you."

It was impossible to tell if he was bluffing. Perhaps Aldric was just looking for an excuse to work off some frustration, or maybe it was an intimidation tactic. Then again, it was entirely possible that nothing the wolf said would keep him from being gutted like a fish. Of course, Orgo wasn't given the luxury of time to consider the possibilities... Despair was already summoned and slung over Aldric's shoulder.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-05-04 at 04:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178

Planetar

Default Living Stones

Garadiel was dangling off the edge of a cliff, held up only by a rope he'd recently bought and carrying a sack large enough to fit a human being in. He wasn't sure the fall would kill him, but he was fairly certain that the fall would hurt, and he wasn't anxious to find out if it could kill him anyway. Besides... Garadiel was opposed to death, even his own.

That was the funny part, Garadiel supposed. Most of his siblings would have seen it differently, were they the god of the dead. They might have sought to preserve or spread their will or their dominion. But Garadiel held death in... well, not contempt. But he viewed himself as Death's opponent, after a strange fashion. In time, when his power had grown, he would seek out his father again and ask him how death first entered the world. Then he would undo it. That was his life's work, he knew, and he knew it would likely take his whole second life. But he wasn't above the effort it would take.

That was why he was dangling in the first place... The crystals here were some of the purest in the world and he knew his father had brought some home from this cliff when the world was young. Of course, the crystals he sought would not have the power of those his father kept... Well, not for a long time. But, then again, that hadn't really been the point. Garadiel ripped the stones out of the sheer cliff, amazed at his divine strength. There were only a handful crystals pure enough to endure the transformation that he sought. It would have to do.

When he had enough crystals, he disappeared into Life's Shadow. He guided some souls up to the portal and then instructed the brothers to stand aside. He strengthened his magic with his will and simply walked across the precipice to the Storm. His strength was great here, greater than it was in the living world, and such a feat was not beyond him. He took the stones from his sack and slung them one by one into the portal. The portal fizzled for a moment and then, Garadiel felt it. The stones were changing... And... Success. Garadiel walked into the portal and guided the ensouled stones into the living world.

These would be his servants, the guardians of life.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Minor Act to create the Living Stones, Garadiel's first attempt at immortal creatures. They're more or less successful, they can fly, speak, and heal but they're more or less defenseless and don't have any fine manipulators, so they're easy to capture and control. All of them are the shape of uncut crystals and none are larger than a basketball. There are nine.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas

29. - Top - End - #179

BardGuy

A storm was brewing in the east. Its size was preternatural, measuring at least 100 miles wide. Surely to face such a storm would be madness. Perhaps Alarin was imply unaware of the danger. Maybe he knew, and went in spite of it. Or he could have gone, not in spite of, but because of the danger. Whatever the reason, Alarin piloted his long ship right into the middle of the cyclone and faced whatever danger there was to be found head on. And where he was going, danger abounded.

Alarin's troubles began innocently enough. What started as simply rough waters, and soon became small, choppy waves. The wind began to howl and moan, pulling the ship in with an unnatural strength. Soon, a heavy downpour came descended on the ship. But, for all the danger and peril that was beset upon the bard, he was calm. Indeed, for him the world was at peace, as he had his own hand-crafted lute. It had seen him through thick and thin, and now reborn by his own hands, Alarin would test its might to the fullest in the coming battle. Only time would tell if his faith in the instrument would be misplaced.

The winds gradually turned savage as Alarin penetrated deeper into the storm. Only the divine songs played on his sacred instrument kept him from being thrown about like a mere plaything by the hurricane. Instead, the soothing melodies kept the ship afloat and steady in the raging storm about it. However, its calming effects only influenced the nearby areas, and all around the traveller the sea raged. Lightning rained from the sky, and walls of waves tolled by. The wind screamed and almost muted the song, yet Alarin continued to play undisturbed. His concentration must have been masterful, a trait rarely ascribed to him.

Further and further he traversed the malestrom, evading the lightining strikes that fell from the sky and riding out the waves that crested over 10 meters in the air. The thunder alone would have deafened any mortal who dared trespass upon the untamed ocean, but Alarin persevered. Undaunted by the storms violence and impotent rage, he piloted his ship straight towards the very eye of the storm. It was near the very center of the tempest that things turned for the worst. The storm reach its apex and soon even the god's song could not keep the frenzy at bay. As he struggled to maintain control, the young boy was taken back by what he saw before him.

A gigantic whirlpool, large enough to swallow a ship whole lay in front of his longship. For all his skill, he attempts to pull the ship out of harms way wityh his lute was in vain. He knew to do nothing would be suicide however, so the bard stowed away his instrument and took to manually changing his direction. He sang aloud to appeal for the winds aid, but his voiced was al but drowned out by the thunderous noise of the vortex. The would-be god tugged with all his divine might, and barely managed to adjust the mast only slightly. The whirlpool was powerful though and pulled him in with a supernatural strength. Alarin began to think that was lost as his boat drifted closer and closer to the edge of damnation.

But hope sprung enternal in the god, and refused to give up just yet. At last the winds heard his please, and a great gale propelled him away from the vortex of death. At last he arrived in the eye of the storm, and all semed calm, if only for the moment. His ship was battered, but it would still sail. But his moment of peace was interrupted, when a great monster arose from the depthes of the ocean. The beast was a horrible sea monster with six long necks equipped with demonic heads, each of which had twiseted that contained three rows of razor-sharp teeth. It's body consisted of twelve tentacle-like legs and a cat's tail and with five dog-heads rattached to its waist. Truly no more horrible a monster existed anywhere in the world.

With a sardonic smile, Alarin remarked to himself that these would make great monsters to tell of when he returned to the mortal lands. But until then he resolved to never give up hope and attempted to sail his boat around the creatures he dubbed Scylla and Charybdis towards the relative safety of the rest of the storm.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Orgo looked at the scythe and smiled.

"Nice scythe you got there. You may call me Orgo and I am as much as it surprises myself not here to fight. Sure not long ago I would have been happy to rip off a few heads and pull out some random God's innards but not at the moment. Your family have made it quite clear that path doesn't lead to my personal well being and the last time I offed one of you he didn't end up any where near as dead as I was hoping he would be. Now then as for why I am here one of your siblings is one his way to try and make ammends between you and pops but I thought I'd save him some time find out for myself that no such plan has any chance of succeeding and go spare him a fruitless journey, after all who wants reconciliation when one can simply take revenge?"
    Last edited by Jair Barik; 2010-05-05 at 06:42 AM.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show