New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Oceans of Legacy (IC)

Sense Motive - (1d20)[4]

Sigurd attempts to puzzle out what Tim is trying to get across, wondering in the back of his head if he should fetch some charcoal from the increasingly-smoky-smelling hold for him to write with, if he was even literate... Finding his attempts futile, he sighs. "Sorry Tim, I have no idea what you're getting at. Can you write? Might make this a lot easier.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-05-02 at 10:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Who the hells do you think you are lady?" Cal yells at Adalias. "Listen to the bug man, before you make things worse!
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-05-02 at 10:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd, while keeping an eye out for the ash rats, ignores the useless bickering as the damage has been done and concentrates and soothing light radiates from his hand. He touches Chrak and mends his wounds, far more efficiently than would be expected from such a simple spell. "Another frost breath is coming, clear the way!" He looks over to Adalias, gesturing to the wall behind her. "Move back!" What is left of the frost crystals around the room should still mark the target area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration check to cast defensively (1d20+8)[13]

Cure Light Wounds on Chrak (1d8+9)[13]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Hold:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Argh, you little varmint!" Caine yells as he gets burned once again, growling something under his breath as he rolls back away from the rat once more. He comes up with a plan you could quite possibly only consider while drunk. Dropping his anchor, he pulls out his rope from the pack he's carrying. In the meantime, Caine is hit by a couple more jets of flame (Take 6 fire damage).

Cal swings once more at a rat but misses, taking a hit from another rat in the process (take 4 fire damage)

"Yaagh!" Chrak slams his blades into the ground, hoping to hit something. Alas, both of his blades miss the half-dead rat at his feet. Fortunately, Chrak at least manages to dodge a few attacks and isn't any worse off than before.

Adalias makes a "tsk" sound under her breath as Chrak impales the floor violently. Holding on to her oversized hat with one hand, she tumbles past the horde of smaller rats, aiming for the big one apparently spawning the rest. In her hand she holds a nearly invisible shortsword.
    Seeing the blade through the smoke, Chrak calls out "No, fool! Do not pierce her flesh!" as he sends a predatory glare at her. Nimbly avoiding the bite of a smaller rat, she scowls back and retorts, "Aw, why don't you go back to attacking the floor and let me do this my way, huh?". The distraction leaves her open to a gout of flame (take 4 fire damage) but she is almost there.
    "Who the hells do you think you are lady?" Cal yells at Adalias. "Listen to the bug man, before you make things worse! It is too, late, however, and Adalias has already reached the brood mother and stabbed forwards, muttering something under her breath as she does.
    Luckily, her attack doesn't pierce the rat's skin. Even better, she manages to dodge another flaming rat when it is launched from the rat's mouth (and as three more rats crawl out from its stomach). Less fortunately, another rat hits her with a flame while her back is turned (take another 4 fire damage).

Fayd, while keeping an eye out for the ash rats, ignores the useless bickering as the damage has been done and concentrates and soothing light radiates from his hand. He touches Chrak and concentrates on mending his wounds when the nearby rat leaps a foot into the air and nips at Chrak, ruining Fayd's concentration and wasting the magic. "Another frost breath is coming, clear the way!" He looks over to Adalias, gesturing to the wall behind her. "Move back!" What is left of the frost crystals around the room should still mark the target area. At least Fayd is safe fromt the attacks of the rats, which seem to be ignoring him.

With the sword obviously not getting her anywhere against the horde of little rats, Audr drops it to the ground and pulls out her spear instead. Holding it backwards (hands just under the spearhead), she begins the methodical process of trying to pound the mother rat's head into a pulpy mess. Her aim is true and the skull of the mother rat has officially been smashed in. The sound of a few squeaking rats burning alive is heard as the huge body of the mother rat catches flame. Two bursts of flame hit her as she makes the swing, however, including one from the rat she attacked (take 4 fire damage).

Everyone may make an AoO against any rat within your reach.

Sigurd:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the suggestion of writing down his message, Dumb Tim nods his head vigorously.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-03 at 04:13 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias takes a swing at something, not yet quite sure what is what.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO on whatever, use your best judgement for what keeps things simple.

(1d20+9)[13] +2 if the AoO'd creature is flanked, for (1d6+4)[6]

*Scrubbed due to previous actions being invalidated*
    Last edited by Jarian; 2010-05-03 at 04:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Previous Round:
    With the sword obviously not getting her anywhere against the horde of little rats, Audr drops it to the ground and pulls out her spear (Free action: Quick Draw) instead. Holding it backwards (hands just under the spearhead), she begins the methodical process of trying to pound the mother rat's head into a pulpy mess. Seeing the rats distracted at the sight of their mother's plight, Audr takes a swing at the ash rat in C7.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Since Audr was surrounded by little rats, I'm assuming she's using the length of the spear to reach over them and attack the mother rat. Mainly to keep the mother rat from biting her in retaliation;)

I'm also assuming the base damage here is 1d8: Longspears are large weapons, so the damage from an equivalently sized club is still 1d8.
    Round 1:
    "Attack" - (1d20+2)[17]
    "Damage" - (1d8+10)[17]
    "Confirmation if needed" - (1d20+2)[3]

AOO:
    "Attack" - (1d20+2)[16]
    "Damage" - (1d8+10)[15]
    "Confirmation if needed" - (1d20+2)[14]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-05-03 at 01:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd waits for Chrak to move out of the way and then blasts the rats with another frost wave. The coldness should prevent fires in the next few moments, but the fight needs to end quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Frost Breath targeted at squares C7-D9 + E8. (2d6)[3] cold damage (reflex DC 15 halves).

edit: That is some crappy damage as usual. I wish I could use Frost Breath every round, not just every other.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-05-03 at 05:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malon taps her chin in curious contemplation. She had been hoping for something more obvious - she couldn't just attack these creatures without knowing whether they were hostile or not, but she wasn't about to go closer and risk her own safety to find out. Floating still a distance away from the wrecked ship, she waited for the Darfellans to make a move.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo lingers on deck. As it is, she refuses to dive into the water at the scene of a fresh shipwreck until she has some idea of what lurks below, especially given that she doesn't have a good way to get back on board afterwards. In the meantime, she lets the captain know about her assessment of the storm ahead, in passing.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowing somethings wrong, and hearing a lot of shouts around, Sasha approaches the halfling and kneeling down infront of him, gently shakes him to wake him up as she works the key to unlock his chains.

"Mr. Figgen sir, the captain sent me to get you. The ship has struck something and stopped. I'm not sure whats going on but we need to get back ondeck, he did say we may need to get the ship moving at a moments notice and hoped you had some spells ready."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garen nodded. "I see..." he muttered, making his way toward the deck. "I wonder where Ms. Adalias has gone...or anyone else for that matter." Garen stepped out into the chaos of the deck, looking for his "friend".
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

12. - Top - End - #282

Spoiler
    Show
    Then it's this round that I throw the rope at the mother rat, trying to lasso her. ;p

Use Rope: (1d20+4)[10]
    Attack Roll: (d20+6)[16]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Rejoicing inside at the fall of the mother rat (and mentally trying to decide just how much bragging she should do at dinner tonight), Audr drops her spear (quick action) and stoops to pick up her greatsword again (move action). Now that the supply has been choked off at the source, the important thing is to kill the little ones while she still has some un-burned furs left...

Spoiler
    Show
    "Attack" - (1d20+7)[13]
    "Damage" - (2d6+4)[12]
    "Confirmation" - (1d20+7)[17]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Good work Audr! Cal cheers as he continues to swing at the smaller rodents.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack of opportunity at the rat at d6. If it is alive I will attack again, otherwise I will swing at the one at c5.
    Attack of opportunity:(1d20+9)[10]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[6]
    Normal Attack:(1d20+9)[18]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[7]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't have anything on me, but I'll see what I can find."

Deciding that the merchant would probably have some sort of writing implement on him, Sigurd taps the man on the shoulder to get his attention. "Excuse me, sir, do you have a bit of chalk or charcoal on you? My friend over here can't speak, and he needs to write something down."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias takes a cautious step past the dead mother rat (D-10), trying to avoid getting blood and brain matter all over her boots. She then stabs at one of the two rats on the floor in front of her, speaking in a convoluted tongue while she does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on one of the rats at D-9, using the Persistent Blade strike.

Attack: (1d20+9)[19] for (1d6+5)[9]
    If hit, a Persistent Blade appears, flanking D-9, and stabs at one of the rats.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[11] (including flanking) for (1d4)[1] force damage.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Bloody Ocean
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing the undead climbing up the mast towards the dutchess, the two darfellans, after quickly nodding to each other, stow away their spears and instead draw out aquatic crossbows, aiming them at one of the undead.

On Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hearing news about the storm from Tetelo, the captain's face finally lightens a bit. "Good news, everyone. Tetelo thinks that the storm won't be too strong. Just a wee bit of rain and thunder." Upon hearing this news, the hadozee looks up, a bit disgruntled, "Of course, captain. I saw the storm from a mile away. Would've told you if it'd be trouble."
    Brushing aside the statement, the captain withdraws the slab of meat from the ocean, which is apparently still intact. "Well, it seem to be safe enough." mutters the captain.
    The cloaked passenger, apparently bored with peering over the side of the ship, sighs audibly and heads back downstairs.

In the Brig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The halfling looks up to face Sasha, dark rings overr his eyes. For a couple moments he simply stares at the centaur, perhaps coming to terms with the fact that this is not another dream. At long last, he starts speaking, if a bit slowly and hesitantly.
    "If... if the captain needs me... I have the proper spell... Um... that key probably fit into my handcuffs."

In the Galley:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standing right next to the galley door leading out onto the deck, Andromalia's armor is about halfway donned (or fully donned if she was inclined to rush). A squealing pig rushes into the Galley, steals a couple of sausages sitting on a table, and quickly runs outside. The kobold cook, noting this right as the pig leaves out onto the deck, chases after the pig without putting his butcher knife down.
    A couple seconds later, you hear hear a low shout of pain (or was it merely surprise?).

In the hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Garen walks through the hallway in the orlop, the merchant's pig pushes past him and runs up the stairs at the far end, squealing the entire time.
    Suddenly, a knife comes out of nowhere and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[29] (1d4+1)[2] (2d6)[11]

...sinks into Garen's shoulder (take 13 damage). The gnome appears inches away from him, a wide smile on its face. Make a fortitude save.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-04 at 07:46 AM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

18. - Top - End - #288

Garen gasps as the knife strikes, caught completely off guard. Without thinking, he rips his medallion from his throat, shouting in a strange dialect. As the necklace falls, it unfurls into something much larger, revealing what looks like a mechanized spider. "Traitor!" shouts Garen, shooting a vicious glare at his "friend". He could feel tendrils of power connecting him to his weapon, giving it movement but not sentience.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Activates his doll (which still has the Vicious enchantment

Also, as a visual the doll looks somewhat like this:

Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-03 at 06:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly unlocking the locks and picks the halfling up under her arm. Sasha carries him onto deck figuring he's probably too tired to walk. Looking around for the captain to tell him she has the little fellow, she finds him in a knot of his men.

Approaching the captain she says putting the halfling down in front of her, "Here he is captain, little tired but he's here."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Chrak strikes at a nearby rat. "Excellent blow, Eyepatch!" He takes but a small moment to congratulate Audr before striking again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions -

All attacks are on the rat with whom Chrak shares a square unless it dies, in which case Chrak will attack pretty much whatever.

Attack of Opportunity:
    (1d20+6)[12](18)

Damage of Opportunity:
    (2d8+7)[4][2](13)

Primary Attack:
    (1d20+6)[2](8)

Primary Damage:
    (2d8+7)[7][8](22)

Secondary Attack:
    (1d20+6)[20](26)

Secondary Damage:
    (2d8+5)[6][2](13)
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sudden squealing noise fills the air as Cross emerges from the galley, squeaing in the back of his throat and holding a chain of link sausages in his mouth that trails after him.
    Following close behind Cross is the kobold cook, carrying a large butcher knife. The kobold is particularly short even for small folk, no more than two feet tall. His scales are dark brown and he wears nothing more than a large bloodstained smock. "Get back here, you filthy cannibal." shouts the kobold in his tiny, yappy voice as he chases after the pig.

As Mr. Figgen is brought to the captain, Thompson frowns a bit. "If I catch one more whiff of rats aboard this ship, just one more whiff mind you, I'm cutting my losses and tossing you overboard." Mr. Figgen looks over the edge, sees a bit of the bloody water, and silently nods.
    Done with Mr. Figgen for the moment, the captain looks up at Sasha and his expression softens a bit. "Thank you for handling this. Feel free to rest while we wait for my men to return. It looks like everyone else already is." The last words are stated a bit angrily as the captain turns to track the motion of the pig with his eyes.

Downstairs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hooded figure of Rabbedon appears on the stairwell, staring straight at the gnome, then to the wound on Garen's shoulder, and then to the puppet on the ground. Forgetting himself for a moment, he shouts in draconic "What do you think you're doing, Skerrin?"

In draconic, the gnome responds, "He took my position. I'm take his lungs."

In the Hold:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the mother rat is quickly reduced to ashes, Adalias makes a blind swipe at a rat and misses. That opportunity gone, Adalias cautiously steps past the mother rat, trying to avoid getting blood and brain matter all over her boots. She then stabs at one of the two rats on the floor in front of her, speaking in a convoluted tongue while she does. As she stabs the rat through, an etheric blade appears and stabs at the dead rat. Adalias easily dodges a couple more gouts of flame aimed at her, starting to pick up on how the rats attack.

It is at this point that Fayd readies himself to breathe another wave of ice but, seeing that Chrak has no intention of moving out of the way, holds his fire. A couple rats watch Fayd Warily as a third burns him (take 4 fire damage)

Chrak strikes at a nearby rat. "Excellent blow, Eyepatch!" He takes but a small moment to congratulate Audr before striking again. His initial strike fails but his second strike hits its mark, slicing the rat in two as he ducks under a small firebolt, at long last managed to claiming sweet revenge from the stupid rodent. A final strike from his weaponry against another rat misses, owing due to the dirsuptive smoke once more.

Continuing his "brilliant" plan, Caine ties a pretty good rope into his knot, making a decent lasso. He gets struck by a single flame jet (take 4 fire damage) as he dodges a second one.

Rejoicing inside at the fall of the mother rat (and mentally trying to decide just how much bragging she should do at dinner tonight), Audr drops her spear (quick action) and stoops to pick up her greatsword again (move action). Now that the supply has been choked off at the source, the important thing is to kill the little ones while she still has some un-burned furs left... She swings her sword twice at the rats, missing with both strikes but somehow managing to block one of the two gouts of flame heading right for her with the side of her blade (Take 2 fire damage [from the second one])

"Good work Audr!" Cal cheers as he continues to swing at the smaller rodents. Cal's first swing misses his target but his second finds itself imbedded in the spine of one of the vermin. Cal easily hops over a low jet of flame, only to be caught by another in mid-flight (take 3 fire damage)
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-04 at 07:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias's conjured blade of force whizzes through the air to flank another of the rodents, which she attempts to skewer with a quick stab at the floor.

"Incidentally," she says offhandedly, tugging her sword loose of the wood, "We seem to have run afoul of a sunken ship's main mast. Oh, and the sea has turned to blood. Cheery sight."

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle map needs updating; I'm not really sure which ones are left, but Adalias has enough movement to reach any of them, so... whatever is simplest.

Adalias: (1d20+11)[25] including flanking, for (1d6+5)[9] damage.

Persistent blade: (1d20+7)[18] including flanking, for (1d4)[1] damage.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2010-05-04 at 03:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd's arms and hands are covered with burns by now from shielding more vulnerable parts of his body from injury. Unwilling to harm Chrak, he can't do much more than watch for a moment, allowing him to reevaluate the battlefield. Seeing how the rats are distributed across the room, he steps behind Audr, closer to the ash rat next to them. "Audr, please step aside." The urgency in his voice is clear. One blast could take out a lot of the rats now, he might not get another chance like this.

Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step to F7. Frost Breath directed to the north (C6-D8 + E7), delayed until Audr moves out of the way. (2d6)[4] cold damage (reflex DC 15 halves).

Ongoing effects: Aura of Protection

24. - Top - End - #294

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming I get a turn now?

Garen stood, fighting against the wound. "Is revenge really worth having the wrath of the House Rixx on your head, friend?" he asks in an unnervingly calm manner. "I'm impressed with your skill though. Not easy to sneak up on me. Perhaps we could work out a pay arrangement you would like..." Anyone trained in the arcane could tell what Garen was attempting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Casts Charm Person (Will DC 15)
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-04 at 01:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo notes the meat drawn up unscathed, and then nods thoughtfully. That was as safe as the ocean ever got.
    She calls to the captain.
    "Rope for when when we want back on board, okay?"
    With that, she swings her long legs over the rail and drops into the ocean below. She savors that first breath of seawater, and then takes some time to observe her surroundings. There was Armstrong, at least, clinging to the side of the ship.
    "Come," she calls, "Let's check it out, okay?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Under the Waves:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tetelo sees much the same thing as Malon. A ship (a normal merchant ship) does rest on a small plateau in the water, in pretty good shape save for a couple of holes in its hull. Aboard the ship, much of its crew is still working even in death, carrying a couple of large chests to the edge of the deck, climbing up the main mast towards the dutchess (which it is scratching up against) and, astoundingly, fighting against a dozen octopi that seem to have united against the undead.
    A total of 25 undead sailors are visible with six carrying three chests, three climbing the mast, and the other 16 fighting off the octopi.
    Floating in the water are malon and the two darfellan twins, both of which are pointing aquatic crossbows towards undead climbing the mast. Tetelo detects that the chests are mostly filled with metallic coins.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Not takin' that darn fing off ever again..", Andromalia curses to herself when the scream makes her stop fiddling with her armor.

"You okay there?", she shouts into the scream's direction.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo stares in amazement for a while at the galleon manned by the undead, but when she spots the undead sailors making for the Dutchess above, her lips form a hard line.
    With her black hair drifting about her head like kelp, she calls a short, magical phrase, calling on the might of the ocean to bend the stricken mast down and away, curling it into a U until it touches deck once more, far out of reach of the Dutchess's hull. That done, she swims with fluid grace closer to the melee, gesturing Armstrong alongside.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Uukoo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The orc frowns as leans over to face you. "Don't you recognize me? It's Eerac Dawncaller. Been years since I've last seen you."
    Uukoo does recall there being a dawncaller family back in his old tribe. The father of which had gone crazy, breaking his weapons and refusing to fight, hunt, and fish. Oh yeah, and he killed his wife as well. They did have a son but how he'd live this long is anyone's guess.

"Hrmph! Can't say I do recognize you, though remember your name I do."
    "Come here! There is something going on in this sea, do you have any idea?"

Spoiler
    Show
    There was also a will save vs. the drink, right?
    Will - (1d20+6)[24]
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Uukoo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course I know what's going on," states the orc. "The ship I was on sank. No real clue how it happened, though. There was a whale... and pirates... and some huge sharks. Kind of confusing."
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-05-04 at 03:36 PM.