New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Oceans of Legacy (IC)

Tetelo makes a face.
    "Yes, I thought I heard you say 'Forge.' You're a blacksmith then, I suppose." Her voice is a little dull, some vexation showing through.
    "What's wrong with copper? Or bronze? Or brass? Why does everyone have to use steel?" The comment is rhetorical, and not really directed at anyone in particular. Tetelo gazes into her drink, pouting somewhat.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Like most of the other adventurers, Garen sat alone in the pub, drumming his fingers restlessly. Although the general mood of the evening was a present one, Garen heard occasional mentions of his actions the previous night. Ah, that merchant, whatever his name was. Garen rarely remembered names of his charges; it simply wasn't worth it to him. The changeling did notice the group chatting idlely a few tables away, and the repeated mention of the Silver Duchess reached his ears. He grinned to himself. Ah, fellow travelers... thought the assassin to himself. He took particular notice of the tall fey-like woman, but quickly disregarded the thought. Best never to mix business with pleasure...
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Woss wrong wiv steel? What reminds me, Audr, 'choo want for the refit of my chainshirt? Or doncha do refittin's?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I can work in all of those metals, if the need is great enough. But the reason I usually use iron or steel is simply that it is stronger. I can create items of equal strength with less metal, or with equal metal I can produce items stronger and longer lasting than with most of the older metals. I suppose, ultimately, the reason is this: An Iron Sword will cut through a bronze shield as though it were made of butter. The reverse is typically false."

Finally, a glance back at Lia. "No forge-work today. Even I need a *little* time to settle into a new crew. Ask me again in the morning."
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-04-21 at 12:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Opening the door and ducking her head under the doorframe as she enters, Dressed in just a close fitting sleeveless shirt partially covered by a chain shirt, with a belt on, and a large sword running along my flank. My long flowing hair is tied back in a braid and keen eyes take a look around. Hooves clip clopping on the wooden floor, she avoids the rugs. Never know when one might slip out and send you tumbling to the ground.

She walks up to the barman and orders a large mug of ale, and seeing new people, mostly women, sitting around a table decides to join them.

Laying down after moving a chair out of the way. I say, "Hello, not really seen you here before, though I've only been here a week or two myself. My names Sasha, couldn't help but overhear you talking about the Duchess, I hope I can sign on as part of the crew today. I hear it's a good ship, are any of you from the Duchess?" I ramble on after shaking hands with anyone who wants to.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal walks into the tavern and takes a deep breath. Today seemed like a good day for reasons Cal could not explain. But he was here for business, not pleasure. He scanned the the room and eventually found someone that closest matched the description of the person he was looking for. (She was the only one with one eye.) Cal walked up the one eyed warrior women, whom appeared to be in mid conversation.

"Excuse me miss. I hope I'm not interrupting anything." Cal pauses to take a glance at the centaur next to them before returning to the matter at hand. "Um, are you the one called Audr? If so I am Cal Blackbourne, crewman aboard the Silver Duchess. The Captain sent me to look for you."
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-21 at 12:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Since the talks about men seem to have stopped for the moment, none of which seemed to have bothered him in the slightest, he returns to the question at hand. "I'm... just travelling around. The Duchess happened to arrive soon, so I figured I should seek passage on that one and might as well put what I know to use."

Fayd shakes the centaur's hand. "I'm Fayd, nice to meet you. Actually, none of us currently work on the Duchess, but that might change soon." He looks at the latest newcomer and waits for Audr to respond to him.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-04-21 at 12:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo shrugs. "Steel is...nevermind. Besides, We-" She stops as the centaur clops into the bar. Steel shoes? How could anyone stand that?
    Tetelo listens to the centaur talk with interest, but a positively elfin giggle escapes her lips when she hears that this creature wants... wants to work on board a ship!
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2010-04-21 at 12:41 PM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

9. - Top - End - #39

AssassinGuy

"Wow, now that's direct. Andromalia, Lia for short. Say, innit a bit hard for you to work on a ship? Jus' curious."

Andromalia seems excited and taken aback at the same time, not taking her eyes of the centaur.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Responding to the Centaur first (since she arrived before Cal), Audr comes up with "Wow... two more legs and Sleipneir would be looking on with envy...". A moment later, she's pulled her mind away from the mating habits of celestial horses, and focused on the words. "Well, Sasha, the person you need to talk to is Cal here - whom comes from the Silver Duchess in response to my earlier correspondence with its Captain." Audr pushes her hood back down - giving the others their first proper look at her face - and takes a brief moment to check the position of her eyepatch. "I imagine that the Captain wants you to bring me to the ship, hm? In which case, we may as well begin. I am ready. All the others at the table are looking for berths as well - some as crew, others as passengers. Perhaps they should come too?" Standing up now, and downing the mead in one go, she finished, "Regardless, I am ready."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd looks at Cal. "If you have use for a healer with quite a bit of naval experience, I'd like to help out on the ship, at least until we get to Pemrose." Should Cal agree, Fayd gets up, having payed already, takes his backpack and follows.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal looks around at the people with Audr. "Even the horse lady?" Cal shrugs. "Well anyways, it may be best if I just take the potential crew members. We are a little short staffed right now and the captain actually wanted me to get any potential help I could find to get things ready for the passengers."

Cal turns to Fayd "A healer? Yea we can always use one of those. Not that it is up to me. That is for the Captain to decide.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-21 at 01:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

"Help, eh? Well, I'll come along when you leave, then. Not much of a sailor, but long's only simple stuff..."

14. - Top - End - #44

As the ramble continues, Garen notices a lone woman playing a flute a few tables away. His first impression was that she might be one of his kind, but after a bit he concluded this was not the case. Regardless, it would be best to mingle for a while, lest someone take too keen a notice... The changeling stood and approached the woman, offering a small smile. "You're not half bad. Surprised you aren't with the musicians."
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-04-21 at 01:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Smiling and blushing a little at the Sleipneir comment, Sasha looks on towards the newest person, who says hes part of the Duchess's crew! "Definately, I love the sea, it's in my heart as much as the plains is in the heart of my kin. And it's a little more difficult then I think it would be for one of you two leggers, but my father always said, "Sasha, you can do whatever you put your mind to." And I want to become a sailor, so thats just what im going to do. Ive even had a few pointers from an elderly fisherman and we went fishing together. I didnt sink his boat and even caught a few things!"

Standing up after downing half of the mug of ale, "I'm ready to go whenever you are!"
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigurd sat gambling with a few of the pub's other patrons, enjoying the anonymity. Anywhere else he might have stood out, but here, nobody took much notice. He looked very urbane, with a neatly-trimmed goatee and long hair (black, but flecked with silver; prematurely graying?) that looked as though it actually saw soap on a regular basis. He looked fairly well-off, too, if his new looking cloak and boots were any indication.

He had a few scars here and there, nothing too impressive, and a body that looked fit for combat despite being currently unarmed. He'd stashed his sword and bow - in his experience, carrying weapons openly tended to draw trouble. He kept his dagger, of course, because being completely unarmed tended to draw far worse trouble. Stone-gray eyes, but even that wasn't too odd.

Unfortunately, though, his luck seemed to have run out, and his losing streak finally got the better of him. Sighing, he reached for his coin purse, but the (rather drunk) sailor laughed and shook his head, pointing backwards with a thumb at the man on the table. "Keep yer money, city-boy, yeh ain't gettin' off that easy. Rule is, whoever loses 'as t'go give us a show. Sing, dance, wha'ever yeh can manage; we laugh all th'same, heh."

The man responds with a pained-sounding sigh, but seems resigned to his fate as he rises, drawing a rumble of laughter from his gambling mates. He waits patiently for the singer to finish his "song" before motioning him down from the table and taking his place. Having apparently already decided on a piece, he begins... well, singing wasn't quite the right word, for it wasn't really a song - more of a story, or maybe a poem, and it seemed to be translated from its original language - but a hint of melody was still there.

"Full many a wonder is told us in stories of old, of heroes worthy of praise, of hardships dire..."

And he launched into the tale of Sigurd the Dragonslayer, his own namesake, who felled the last red dragon on Farin, and in doing so rescued and won the respect of the silver dragonness Adalinda and wedded her, founding from their union the Einherjar clan. The story lasted for quite some time, but he didn't seem to grow weary of it; if anything, it seemed to quite invigorate him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on a perform check, for an 18. Sigurd's skill is technically Perform: Storytelling, but in his case, he generally tells stories through song/poems.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

At just that moment a large figure creeps down the stairs in the back of the tavern. The creature in question has to be at least seven feet tall, but it moves with the grace of a cat. It's silhouette is so thin as to appear almost serpentine, if it weren't for the strange rigid body movements. As it walks closer to you, you can tell that it's nearly naked, wearing nothing but a pack, a loincloth, and a battered chainshirt. It stands like a man, but resembles nothing so much as a bipedal mantis. Its long legs bend several times before its clawed, two-toed feet hit the floor. Each of its four arms seem to have an extra joint, and are oddly thin for its frame. Its hands are large, and terminate in three wicked claws. Its head is a triangular shape, with sets of opposing mandibles at one end and two long, curving antennae at the other. Between them are its enormous, globe-shaped eyes, which seem to be crisscrossed with dark lines at random. The pack on its back is stuffed to the brim, with two strange weapons attached to it on either side. The whole creature is the color of beach sand, and even looks rough to the touch. Everyone in the bar has heard of this type of creature, but few have seen one this close. It's a Thri-Kreen, an escaped slave, a member of a dying race.

It walks directly towards Cal, seeming to recognize him. As it speaks, its jaws snap back and forth rapidly, punctuating everything it says with a strange clicking sound. "Good evening. I believe that you work aboard the vessel called the Silver Duchess, yes? I've signed on as a guard. I believe I've seen you there before. You're here as a recruitment agent, yeah? Consider K'Kichrak Tokchata a confirmed member of the crew, then." The strange creature turns to the group at the table. "My apologies, patrons. I mean no offense by my intrusion."
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal turns to the centaur, Sasha, rolling his eyes a little as he speaks."A horse on a boat? Of course, of course." Cal turns towards the Trikeen with an eyebrow raised. "Then again, stranger things have happened.

Cal then turns back to Sasha. "Well any way, like I told the healer, it ain't up to me. If the captain says a centaur can sail, then a centaur can sail. However, despite what your father said, if the captain says a centaur can't sail then a centaur can't sail. Not on his ship at least. So you better not complain if you get turned down."

"Still, you're all pretty lucky. Like I said, we are short staffed and now is the best time to apply for a job here. Even a bug and a horse can get hired right now. Anyways, anyone looking for work should follow me now. Cal heads towards the bar's exit, looking back to see how many had followed.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-21 at 01:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Obviously Audr followed. She hadn't come this far just to lose her berth through tardiness!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias looks up from her playing as Garen approaches, but continues with her music for another few notes before setting the flute down on the table. As soon as it leaves her grasp, the flute... changes. The silver plating vanishes, replaced with a transparent material with a slick sheen to it.

"Thank you. One picks up certain talents after a while," she says. Her voice is muted somehow, as if she is speaking from a great distance. She draws another flute out of nothingness and offers it to Garen. "Do you play?"

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

"Ah, well, you seem to 'ave more than enough muscle. See you on board," Andromalia says, sounding slightly annoyed. Before the Thri-Kreen had entered her eyes and ears were focused upon Sigurd and his story, now she glances from time to time at the giant insect.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Fayd follows, glad to get moving again. Maybe he can convince the captain of allowing Sasha onboard, if need be.

23. - Top - End - #53

Garen shook his head, impressed by the conjuration trick. "Sadly no. Haven't had the time to I'm afraid. I do have a knack for magic, such as yourself. Mind if I sit with?" Garen adjusted the satchel on his shoulder, trying not to appear threatening.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

The great arthropod follows the one called Cal.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

"By all means," Adalias says, gesturing for him to take a seat. She sets the second flute on the table as well, then brushes both away. They strike the ground with the sound of solid objects, despite looking for all the world as if they were made of liquid.

Taking a sip of her saltwater drink, Adalias smirks ever so slightly. "I'm not so magically inclined as many seem to believe, incidentally."

26. - Top - End - #56

"Young people are so loud these days." An old wrinkled gentlemen said, seated at the bar, two empty bottles in front of him as he worked on yet another. "'I'm on the Duchess, oh yeah, me too'." He mocked in a condescending voice, taking another swig of his strong drink.

27. - Top - End - #57

Garen returned the smirk and sat, dropping his bag to the floor silently. "A clever trick nonetheless my dear." He sat with his hands folded, grinning friendly at the woman. "My name is Garren, by the way. You wouldn't happen to be awaiting the Silver Duchess, would you? Seems many here are."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not as such. However, if so many of these..." She lets the pause linger long enough to be noticed. "...fine people are intending to go along, I believe convincing the captain that my talents are worth a space in his roster wouldn't be amiss." A twinkle in her eyes indicates that this wouldn't be the first time she'd "convinced" someone to admit her passage.

"Adalias," she says by way of introduction. "I'd offer to shake your hand, but I suspect you wouldn't like what you'd find."
    Last edited by Jarian; 2010-04-21 at 02:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Garen chuckled quietly. "Oh, I'm sure you could convince anyone you'd want to." He tilted his head to the side at her last comment. "Pardon my manners, but what do you mean by that?" Garen had seen a good many things in the underground and wan't shaken in the least. If worse came to worst he could defend himself with ease.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, nothing so dastardly, master Garren!" Adalias says, laughing lightly, sliding easily into the mannerisms of a proper lady once more. "I simply meant that my touch can be a bit disconcerting; no need to get your hackles up."