New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The underworld can't be THAT bad, can it? (Avernum 5)

OK FIRST OF ALL: If you don't know what this is about, skip to the bottom, and I'll explain it there.

Well, I promised to play through Avernum 5. Ok, so I promised ages ago and got sidetracked, but that's not the point so shush. Anyway, here we go. Below is a spoiler containing some history on the series. It's, you know, a spoiler for games 1~4, so take it as such. That said, it's nothing the game won't vaguely spoil anyway. This just means that you will be less confused when you see people talking. About things. Like people do. Yes, Avernum 1 too. Bal, you've been warned.

Spoiler
    Show

Avernum 1: The Empire, sole ruler of the entire surface world (hence the lack of any need for a real name) discovers Avernum. A huge cavern complex underground, full of horrid monsters, generally inhospitable "climate", lack of food and whatnot. So what do they do?

Open a one-way portal and dump all the misfits there, of course! Any crime, including just not fitting in? You get exiled to Avernum. Nephilim (cat people) and dragons, along with other non-human creatures are mostly killed or shipped off to Avernum.

Eventually, Avernum strikes back. They take out the leader of the Slith army (Slithzerikai: Lizard people native to Avernum) attacking them, deal with nephil bandits, establish their speciesist credentials, reforge the sword Demonslayer to, as one may expect, slay the demon lord Grah-Hoth. Grah-Hoth will begin to seem like a good name next to Sliths and Nephils (worst examples include General Sss-Thsss and Hrrmrrrr).

After this, you are teleported to the surface, and kill Emperor Hawthorne. For vengeance.

Avernum 2: The empire realizes they have a nest of vipers in Avernum. So they send an army to take it out. Their mistake begins when they discover some natives: the Vahnatai. The Vahnatai are ridiculously powerful (especially when it comes to magic) crystal-obsessed, freakishly thin grey humanoids. They hibernate for centuries at a time, which is why Avernites didn't notice them before. They keep their leaders' souls in crystals, called, imaginitively enough, Crystal Souls. They practically treat these spiritual advisors like gods.

The Empire quickly kidnaps a few Crystal Souls. For Science, you see. The Vahnatai don't take too kindly to this. It's all great for Avernum, because they get the Vahnatai's help in return for getting the souls back. Some are crazy by the time they're retrieved, but hey. The war is won, day is saved and so forth.

Avernum 3: They finally develop a working long-term portal to the surface. Good for them. You're the scouting party. Turns out the surface is a mess, ravaged by slimes, giant roaches, giants/troglodytes, golems and weird six-legged giant wolf things. With factories producing each one. Lots of violence later, you find out that a few rebel Vahnatai, led by Rentar-Ihrno (no, not Rental) are doing this. Why? The Empire stole their Crystal Souls ages back. Clearly, all of the Empire is responsible for this, no exceptions, and need to die. They're fine with Avernum, though, as long as you stay out of their way.

No, you don't stay out of their way. Kill Rentar, save day, archmage dies helping you, and the surface is saved. Peace is made with Avernum thanks to a more sensible emperor (empress, actually) and Avernum is recognized as a nation. They also get land on the surface to move to, though that's slow going.

Avernum 4: Empire's starting to move into Avernum. As in, Empire citizens. Why? Same reason people in the US once migrated to the west. Freedom, potentially lots of money, easier to be strange and different. Curiosity and tourism, sometimes.

But oh wait sea monsters and shades are attacking Avernum. Why do people dislike Avernum 4? Because it's monsters being made in factories. Run by the ghost of Rentar-Ihrno. For revenge. Again. Violence is had, Rentar is gone for good, and the day is saved. The rest of the Vahnatai are quite friendly, by the way. Well, not friendly, but at least vaguely on Avernum's side.

Now, where was I? Oh, yes. Screenshots. We need characters made here.

Spoiler
    Show

There we have the three potential races. Nephilim, Sliths, Humans. Humans are vanilla. Nothing special. Nephils get a 10% XP penalty, an ever-increasing bonus to using bows, and are slightly more nimble.

Sliths get a 20% XP penalty. Why? They get nice fire resistance, an ever-increasing bonus to using pole weapons (spears), and are also a fair bit tougher than humans or nephils. Pretty good, all in all.

Ignore the classes. We are customizing this.

Skiiiiills. Many are self-explanatory. Strength lets you hit harder and wear heavier equipment, dexterity lets you dodge/shoot better. Intelligence gives you more energy (MP) and lets you avoid mental effects better. Endurance makes you harder to kill.

The weapon skills just make you more accurate with that weapon. I think you might hit a bit harder too, not sure. Having higher ranks in your total weapon skill gives you battle disciplines: Fancy things you can do like lowering your opponent's armour, giving yourself more moves, hitting harder, and so on. This works with spells too, which is why making your casters sliths or nephils isn't a bad idea at all. Melee weapons means swords in this case, by the way.

Quick Action is trickier. You get your turn earlier, and the more ranks you have, the more chance there is that when you make an attack, you'll get an extra attack. Handy, but doesn't work with bows, thrown weapons (which are worthless anyway) or spells.

Magic things. Mage Spells and Priest Spells just make you better at those spells. You need a certain amount of one or the other to cast spells, too. Max 17, I think. Arcane Lore helps with reading spellbooks you find and so on. That counts the amount you have in the party, so you might as well spread it out. Spellcraft just makes you better at all spells. The mage/priest spell skill you have at first, by the way, decides what spells you start with, so it's best to have a fair bit for your casters.

Hardiness makes you tougher, and more resistant to every kind of damage. But not by much. Defense makes you harder to hit. Tool Use is all about picking locks and getting rid of traps. Handy. Nature Lore works like Arcane Lore, only for finding hidden items and calming animals down so you don't need to fight them (better than it sounds, when the animals are giant bats that spit lava). Finally, Luck... I don't know what it does. Stops you from dying when you should, sometimes, and affects "certain events", or so I hear.

First Aid gets its own paragraph for being all kinds of useful. I suggest starting with 2 ranks of this for everyone (like the Lore skills, it's spread out), and upgrading to at least 4 ranks each. Why? After each battle, depending on how many things you killed, you gain energy and health back. Why is this good? If it was not for first aid, you'd be relying on energy potions, which are a finite resource. And healing yourself with spells, using more energy.

With enough first aid? You could easily finish encounters with full health or close and almost as much energy as you started with. Which is amazing.

Oh, and the higher a skill is, the more it costs in points to raise it further.

Traits! These are what you take to make your character special (sometimes in the mental sense). There are positive traits to make your character better at the cost of an XP penalty, and negative ones to make them weaker, but gives them bonus XP. Negative ones often aren't worth it, while XP penalties aren't nearly as bad as they sound.

Good Constitution: Takes more to kill you, you laugh poison off. Hardiness boost, mostly.

Nimble Fingers: bonus to Tool Use, yaaay.

Thick Skin: Takes More To Kill You v2. It now takes even more to kill you, I hope you're happy. Actually, I think good constitution only deals with poison. Meh.

Strong Will: Makes you harder to mind-control. This means stopping you from moving/charming you/scaring you so you waste turns running around like a headless chicken.

Deadeye: You're better at shooting things. Scaling bonus, like any other trait that gives a bonus. A must have for archers.

Fast on Feet: You're faster, get your turn earlier, and occasionally get an extra AP. AP being what you use to move and do things in battle. Handy.

Pure Spirit: You're the best priest ever.

Natural Mage: You're the best mage ever. And with Natural Mage, you can wear all the clanky heavy armour you like. Robes are for wimps anyway.

Elite Warrior: This character is a god of war. Chop things to bits. Like Deadeye for melee combat, only way better. A must have for anyone who plans to hit things with other, pointier things.

Divinely Touched: You're awesome at everything and probably come from a distant world where your ancestors were gods. Side-effects may include a crippling weakness to green rocks.

Disadvantages

Weak-Minded: Strong Will in reverse.

Delicate Skin: Thick Skin in reverse.

Sluggish: Fast on Feet in reverse.

Brittle Bones: not a reversed advantage, for once. Basically? You're very fragile. Someone hits you and your bones shatter. Surprisingly good for casters, since they're in big trouble if they get hit anyway, but still tricky to use.

Frail: You're pathetic in every way possible and really shouldn't be in this line of work. Essentially Divinely Touched in reverse.

By the way, I don't have exact XP values for the penalties/bonuses, but the further you go down the list, the bigger it is. Divinely Touched, for example, is 30%. You can only take 2 traits total, split between positive and negative ones as you see fit. And you can, of course, just take one or none at all. Check post#29 for further info on traits.

Now than, THE PLOT!

What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Nothing will stop our peaceful happy lives.

Except the plot. Yep, I guess that could do it. Also: This man has laser fingers. Be on your guard.

Well, at least it's not our problem.

Having finished the series, I still have no idea what that thing in the back is. I want to keep it that way.

I guess this would be a bad time to start playing It's a Wonderful Life?

Right! Here's the deal. I will be running this in the form of screenshots with a silly narrative from all four characters. Not taking this seriously. So here's what I need. Suggest a character. One each, please. Just pick a race, traits and roughly what you want me to do with skills, since detailed instructions are probably too much of a pain for my readers. Don't worry too much about being practical, if all else fails, I can always cheat TRY HARDER.

I also want a name and personality included. This bit is important, but doesn't need to be detailed. Remember, we're being silly here After a while, I will pick the ideas that I feel I can write best, and get to work.

So I hear you ask "what's this about, than?" Only I don't. Because this is the internet and I'm pretty far away, you see. Now, the idea here? I play through this game with the characters people come up with for me. I post screenshots. Since screenshots would be boring, the characters talk in between them, and are all silly but, knowing me, probably not actually funny. Oh, and whenver there are major decisions to be made, I leave it up to my readers to decide. Simple enough, really.

Well, vote away!

Edit: On skills, you can be really vague. "Nephil archer priest" or "slith pole weapon tank". Don't let that stop you from giving me specific instructions if you want, like "2/2/3 split between Spellcraft, Hardiness and Luck, no other skills" (please don't do this). Whichever you prefer.

Index

Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-05-26 at 05:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The underworld can't be THAT bad, can it? (Avernum 5)

Opeem, Slith soldier spearman(or something similar), Weak-Minded, Sluggish, Elite Warrior,Thick Skin, Divinely Touched (If you can't take all that, drop Divinely Touched). No magic skill anywhere.
    And he should be pretty religious. Dumb as a rock, too. Uncapable of speaking with long phrases. He likes to play with all sort of goo and liquids you encounter. Get's extremely obfuscated when it comes to mating and courtship.

Opeem is terrified by bats.

Str based, the melee damage dealer of the group.

Wheeee! a CogLP!
    Last edited by Rustic Dude; 2010-04-21 at 10:33 AM.
    Wait, what signature?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Aww, no Foglio art in this one?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post
    Opeem, Slith soldier spearman(or something similar), Weak-Minded, Sluggish, Elite Warrior,Thick Skin, Divinely Touched (If you can't take all that, drop Divinely Touched). No magic skill anywhere.

Str based, the melee damage dealer of the group.

Wheeee! a CogLP!
    Classes don't matter. They're preset skill allocations, I'm going with Custom.

Also: No magic is standard for tanks. And also, traits are 2 total. 2 disadvantages, or 2 advantages, or 1 of each, or just one trait total. No way I can take all that. And Weak-Minded? That can be represented well enough by 2 int, which he will have if I play him

Also, my LPs are good enough to be excited about? That's new.

Chia: Nope. And I, for one, am actually grateful for it. Hated that art.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Classes don't matter. They're preset skill allocations, I'm going with Custom.

Also: No magic is standard for tanks. And also, traits are 2 total. 2 disadvantages, or 2 advantages, or 1 of each, or just one trait total. No way I can take all that. And Weak-Minded? That can be represented well enough by 2 int, which he will have if I play him

Also, my LPs are good enough to be excited about? That's new.

Chia: Nope. And I, for one, am actually grateful for it. Hated that art.
    Now you have standards to worry about.

(And if it's only two, Sluggish and Elite Warrior.)
    Wait, what signature?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ostansibal Yent. Human wizard-y type. Talks in purple. Completely deranged, and prioritises based on what will entertain him most.

Setting things on fire, note, is always entertaining.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.

We don't have a priest do we?

Well, we could use one. Moral support and such.

Leonard Cavil.

Priest.

More specifically, the worst priest ever. Anger issues, fatalistic pessimism, counseling sessions leave most visitors considering suicide...

Also, doesn't actually believe in higher powers. At all.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Ostansibal Yent. Human wizard-y type. Talks in purple. Completely deranged, and prioritises based on what will entertain him most.

Setting things on fire, note, is always entertaining.
    The potatomeister has the right idea. Choosing a text colour for your character would be good, especially if you don't want me to choose for you.

Chia: That last bit? Perfect for Avernum priests. Note how they're devoted to ideals at best, evil and frequently fictional gods at worst, and no real deity ever comes up. Yet they still have priest magic. I have a feeling it actually comes from meditation/self-refinement/whathaveyou.

Anyway, I'm liking the party so far. I did promise to give some people I know a chance to vote, though

Edit: Is Cavil human? Or a nephil? I'm guessing he's not a Slith, or he'd be called Leonardssssss cavilsssssss.

I always play with a stupidly overpowered slith tank named Die Horrible, but that's a long story.

Double edit: I see no real personality for our tank.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-04-21 at 10:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #9

Then, Opeem shall talk in the ugliest shade of brown I could find, but it isn't too ugly.
    Wait, what signature?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The potatomeister has the right idea. Choosing a text colour for your character would be good, especially if you don't want me to choose for you.

Chia: That last bit? Perfect for Avernum priests. Note how they're devoted to ideals at best, evil and frequently fictional gods at worst, and no real deity ever comes up. Yet they still have priest magic. I have a feeling it actually comes from meditation/self-refinement/whathaveyou.

Anyway, I'm liking the party so far. I did promise to give some people I know a chance to vote, though

Edit: Is Cavil human? Or a nephil? I'm guessing he's not a Slith, or he'd be called Leonardssssss cavilsssssss.

I always play with a stupidly overpowered slith tank named Die Horrible, but that's a long story.

Double edit: I see no real personality for our tank.

Human
    Since "robot that looks like a human" isn't an available option.

Also, if it wouldn't clash too much, blue text. Feels right somehow.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-04-21 at 10:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Blue works, especially since there are many shades of it.

So, Opeem is brown. And thus, I'm guessing, very realistic. What's he like besides that? I need details here. Though I could just make him a bloodthirsty, idiotic, horribly effective berserker and that would be plenty of fun too

Chiasaur (everyone else, don't read this)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's an option, just a matter of reflavoring things. And we can do that. If he gets implausibly poisoned or something? More comedy.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-04-21 at 10:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #12

So, Opeem is brown. And thus, I'm guessing, very realistic. What's he like besides that? I need details here. Though I could just make him a bloodthirsty, idiotic, horribly effective berserker and that would be plenty of fun too

Edited my first post just before your second

I'll edit it again now.
    Wait, what signature?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Chiasaur (everyone else, don't read this)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's an option, just a matter of reflavoring things. And we can do that. If he gets implausibly poisoned or something? More comedy.
    Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds good. Better if a recovery is described as "miraculous" so as to manipulate Opeem. Not believing in gods doesn't prevent you from briefly using claims of their existence to ruin the lives of others.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds good. Better if a recovery is described as "miraculous" so as to manipulate Opeem. Not believing in gods doesn't prevent you from briefly using claims of their existence to ruin the lives of others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he and Opeem make it in, I'll go with that

Rustic: Sounds good. Would this be religious of the "eccentric but basically good" sort, or of the "blood for the blood god" variety? Avernum basically has one or the other.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler
    Show
    If he and Opeem make it in, I'll go with that

Rustic: Sounds good. Would this be religious of the "eccentric but basically good" sort, or of the "blood for the blood god" variety? Avernum basically has one or the other.
    I'd say one hand of each. Blood for the Blood god when outraged(Heresy!!!!) or in extremely unpleasant situations. (In-game confusion, reaally bad smells, ohgodi'mbleeding, ohgodititchessomuch...berserk button) Otherwise only eccentric and unresourceful.
    Wait, what signature?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Mrrmrrmrrmrr (that's 4 'mrr's), Nepil archer. Fleet of Foot and Deadeye for traits.

Incredibly hyperactive, flighty, and easily distracted by shiny things, small animals, or balls of string. Also a catnip cavenip addict, becoming hyperactive and irritable when he doesn't get his fix.

Talks in Red or Green.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-04-21 at 10:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Mrrmrrmrrmrr (that's 4 'mrr's), Nepil archer. Fleet of Foot and Deadeye for traits.

Incredibly hyperactive, flighty, and easily distracted by shiny things, small animals, or balls of string. Also a catnip cavenip addict, becoming hyperactive and irritable when he doesn't get his fix.

Talks in Red or Green.
    Done. That's four, than. Not that I'm starting yet, mind you, but it's not going to be easy picking characters from this
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Character suggestions:

Aortal, character with both arcane and divine magic - aswell as bow skills. Would likely be a little short on skill-points. Race : Human

Personality : Belief that anything anyone else can do, he can do better. Aswell as slight recklessness, especially with money. Doesn't believe that air exists when you're holding your breath, or between breaths.
    Last edited by vampire2948; 2010-04-21 at 10:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vampire2948 View Post
    Character suggestions:

Aortal, character with both arcane and divine magic - aswell as bow skills. Would likely be a little short on skill-points. Race : Human

Personality : Belief that anything anyone else can do, he can do better. Aswell as slight recklessness, especially with money. Doesn't believe that air exists when you're holding your breath, or between breaths.
    Sounds.. tricky. Gameplay-wise, mostly. Still, interesting idea.

By the way, I didn't expect to see votes for this many human characters. Not a bad thing, I normally play with two despite the average walkthrough suggesting or outright recommending an all-Slith or Slith-and-three-nephils party. Just surprising.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post

Talks in Red or Green.
    I support this. Should be a catgirl, though. For hilarity's sake.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Agreed, Mrrmrrmrrmrr must be a female Nephil.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Note: I will just be using different text colours. The idea of having to repost the portrait every time a character talks is both annoying and horribly bandwidth-consuming. Sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest Sir Leriam Sunblade

Good, Honest, Righteous!

the only person to sign up for this trip, because it was the right thing to do!

Talking in bright yellow, blue or Red, Sir Leriam would be the perfect leader of the party, and drag them off on any sidequest that seems to promote the cause of good!!!
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

So basically, a foil to all the sociopathic wackiness. Any mechanics on him? I'm guessing human, but skill/trait-wise?

Speaking of which, Chia, any traits for the worst priest ever? Tempted to give him Divinely Touched if he makes it in, for irony value, but anyway. Thoughts?

Edit: Khaine. The style of your post, while no different from your usual posts, has doomed Leriam (if he makes it in) to an eternity of hamminess. I hope you realize that.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-04-21 at 01:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I Really like Othar from Girl Genius...

Anyway, traits ect isnt that important, i was thinking Divinely touched or natural mage, and a mix of melee with a bit of either arcane or Divine magic

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I Really like Othar from Girl Genius...

Anyway, traits ect isnt that important, i was thinking Divinely touched or natural mage, and a mix of melee with a bit of either arcane or Divine magic
    Interesting. I'll give him whichever the party is short on, if he makes it in. Probably divine. I think characters need to be good at either crowd control or single-target damage. Outside of using wands, they do appear to be mutually exclusive, and melee damage eventually vastly outclasses magic. More healing, however, is always welcome.

Until you get Divine Restoration, anyway. Party-wide full heal, removal of all status effects, and regen, all for not that much energy. Breaks the endgame, I tell you. But so do many other things.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

With regards to the party priest, I'd like to recommend Dominic, a fanatical member of the Anama kicked out of Shayder for unbecoming conduct (He was a bit of an embarrassment, so they sent him off to "spread the word" in Avernum). Accusations of heresy are frequent, often concerning things that have no connection to the arcane in any way. A small pebble for example.

Advantages: Pure Spirit (At least, so he says)
    Disadvantages: Sluggish (Due to having to stop every five seconds to berate a tree for being magical)

Skill points in to Intelligence, Priest spells, Thrown Weapons, Spellcraft and Luck if there are any left over

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

So basically, a foil to all the sociopathic wackiness. Any mechanics on him? I'm guessing human, but skill/trait-wise?

Speaking of which, Chia, any traits for the worst priest ever? Tempted to give him Divinely Touched if he makes it in, for irony value, but anyway. Thoughts?
    Divinely touched and/or pure spirit would be great for the aforementioned irony value. Well, if Pure Spirit doesn't force any decisions in dialog.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    With regards to the party priest, I'd like to recommend Dominic, a fanatical member of the Anama kicked out of Shayder for unbecoming conduct (He was a bit of an embarrassment, so they sent him off to "spread the word" in Avernum). Accusations of heresy are frequent, often concerning things that have no connection to the arcane in any way. A small pebble for example.

Advantages: Pure Spirit (At least, so he says)
    Disadvantages: Sluggish (Due to having to stop every five seconds to berate a tree for being magical)

Skill points in to Intelligence, Priest spells, Thrown Weapons, Spellcraft and Luck if there are any left over
    Making me take points in thrown weapons is practically a crime against humanity, good sir.

But the character is neat, so that's ok.

For those not in the know, the Anama is a major religion that believes arcane magic causes more trouble than it does good, and generally isn't worth the trouble. Recluses for the most part, and no one ever listens. Dominic's human, I suppose?

If you people keep suggesting so many good priest characters, we'll end up with a clergy overflow. Not that I mind. We can probably declare a holy war on someone or the other.

Edit: Chia. Like all traits (even, amazingly, Divinely Touched), Pure Spirit affects your stats, nothing more. It gives boosts over time to your Priest Spell skill and Magical Efficiency. The latter is a skill you need a fair bit of Spellcraft to even train, and often reduces the cost of spells. Divinely Touched gives a bonus over time to Sharpshooter, Blademaster (Sharpshooter for melee, and lets you use disciplines more often), Magery (super-spellcraft, very hard to get to a point where you can train it) and a big armour increase. No, Magery is not just for mages.

While we're at it, I may as well list exactly what the traits do in a spoiler, then go pass out.

Spoiler
    Show

Good Constitution: Effectively acts as a couple points or hardiness, and some stun resistance on top of that, as well as, bafflingly, mental effect resistance.

Nimble Fingers: Boosts tool use and first aid over time, with an immediate boost to tool use. According to an FAQ, by the endgame, you get about 42 skill points worth of benefit out of this.

Thick Skin: No bonuses to resistance or anything fancy. Bonus to armour (damage resistance, basically) over time.

Strong Will: HUGE boost to mental effect resistance. Gives them 50% resistance right there. This, incidentally, is handy for priests, as the only ones who have any way of dealing with such status effects (no other method in the whole game to cure it).

Deadeye: No bow bonus. Sharpshooter (in case you forgot, accuracy/damage boost to thrown weapons and bows) over time. Sharpshooter is another one you can't train right away.

Fast on Feet: Boosted initiative, occasionally an extra AP. FAQs swear by it, can't imagine why. It's good, but hardly seems like the holy grail of traits.

Pure Spirit: Boost to Magical Efficiency (once again, untrainable [at first] skill that often reduces energy costs) and Priest Spells over time.

Natural Mage: Good bonus and bonus over time to mage spells. Also magical efficiency, if less so. Oh, did I mention it lets you wear whatever armour you like? Natural Mage is powerful.

Elite Warrior: Blademaster (shorter discipline cooldown, bigger melee damage/accuracy) and Parry (ignore an attack, 3% chance per rank, yes you can even parry lightning) over time and, I believe, on the spot too. Really huge boosts to two otherwise somewhat hard-to-train and excellent skills. Slightly boosts your carrying capacity too.

Divinely Touched: Big armour boost, and also a boost to Magery (like Spellcraft but better, really hard to start training in), Blademaster and Sharpshooter over time. Never mind you'll never, ever need all 3 except possibly if you solo the game.

Disadvantages

Weak-Minded: Decreases mental resistance. You now get hit more often by the three most annoying effects in the game.

Delicate Skin: Reduction to fire, cold and energy resistance.

Sluggish: Initiative decrease, occasionally lose an AP.

Brittle Bones: Increased damage from melee attacks. Being fragile doesn't mean lightning and arrows are any worse, oddly enough.

Frail: The FAQ doesn't elaborate beyond "everything goes badly for you. Ouch. Not worth the extra levels."

I never mentioned what First Aid does, did I? It's important. Very important. Lemme edit it into the first post.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-04-21 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Leriam Sunblade can be any class, as long as its either for the greater Good or for Justice!
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2010-04-21 at 02:46 PM.