New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Let's Play: MSPaint Adventure: GenGame!

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Hmm. Right. I forgot it was the tag-team synergy that unlocked that. D*** it! Without a Hero player on our team, we'll never get Devious dreamer!

The fan made wiki, Genipedia, has a few estimated equations on it, which provide 70% accurate outcomes as to what's unlocked when. Really, with being stealthed 40% of the time, getting more kills than the other players, having about 6 times the kills of the one, and a double digit on the multiplier for the other, manages to narrow it down to only 12 genres for the third level. considering we've got a three-man team, that eliminates 2 of them, and one of them's a mechanic, leaving us with only 8 availible.

Based on the wiki's calculator functions, we could have:

Able Assasin: 5% (dammit! Such. Bad. Odds)
    Debonair Diplomat: 10%
    Inept Informer: 10%
    Nightly Knifer: 10% (One of the worst genres ever. Hope we don't get it, because it's based off of environmental conditions, and has some NASTY behaivorial requirements)
    Energetic Escapist: 10%
    Intrepid Investigator: 15%
    Illusive infiltrator: 20%
    Hidden Healer: 20%

but, the wiki's fallible, bieng composed of player-made estimates and guesswork. 70% reliability is nice, but easy to screw up. And it's certainly not Genco's original calculator.

>Check that GENRE GRID!!!!!!
    Ugh, don't get me started on the Genipedia calculator. One time it gave me a 20% chance of Able Assasin, yet somehow I ended up a Deboniar Diplomat.

Also, that calculator seems to have forgotten about Combat Commando and Cunning Conspirator.

Here, let me quote Nowucme's spy guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowucme
    Unlocking New Genre's
    There is alot of talk about unlocking new Genres. If you go on the spy section of the Genboards there is always somebody saying "Hey, I figured out the PERFECT PLAYSTYLE to unlock Genre X". Well, let me tell you, that's a pile of Gencrap. Independent boards will have somebody saying that an "Inside Source" from Genco has told them the definitive answer to the "Spy Question". Usually they're just looking for attention, thinking that since nobody can disprove what they post, everybody will worship the ground they walk on.
    Personally, I'm of the belief that the Genre Unlocks are more or less randomized, which is why my number one piece of advice to Spies is DO NOT COUNT ON UNLOCKING CERTAIN GENRES. If I had a nickel for every time somebody ragequit a game because they didn't get Combat Commando or Able Assassin, I would punch them all in the face. If they claimed it was because the other team used "Hax" to stop the Genre unlock their "Perfect Playstyle" should have given them, I would kick them in the nuts too.
    You have to play with the cards your dealt. Sometimes you end up with a Nightly Knifer or a Inept Informer. Just like you need to come up with one-liners on the fly (Any spy who goes around with a list of one-liners, looking for an excuse to use them deserves to get smashed in the face with a soufflé pan) you need to use the Genre you have to the best effect. At worst, you just stick to the level 1 Genres and wait until you unlock another. .

Now, with that said, there are some pattern's I've noticed. I'm not giving you hard numbers, because I don't have them, and I wouldn't tell you if I did.
    Remember, the game can spit out any Genre in any situation, these are just general trends.
    I find that lots of Stealth Kills leads to Able Assassin, while lots of unstealthed combat can result in a Nightly Knifer or Combat Commando.
    If you've snuck into an enemy-controlled fortress since your last unlock, the chances of becoming an Illusive Infiltrator go up. Same goes for negotiating control of a land and becoming a Debonair Diplomat.
    The more spies on your team, the more likely you are to become an Inept Informer, but I have never seen more than one per team (Of course, teams with lots of spies are rare except in games above 8v8, so that could just be statistics rearing it's ugly head).
    I have no idea which circumstances lead to you becoming a Cunning Conspirator. That's the main reason I'm convinced it's primarily random. I've seen Cunning Conspirators show up in the most random circumstances, usually wasted on some idiot who doesn't know how to use the genre, and should probably just play a Soldier and go slug it out in the frontlines with everybody else.
    At that point he goes on to being mad at people who try to play a Spy like a Soldier or Gunner. That lasts a while before he starts talking about the other Genres.

but yeah:
    > Check Genre Grid
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-08-31 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

True. Nowucme is the undisputed master at spys, as well as various other classes. And true, Genipedia may give you even up to a 50% in a certain genre, but there's still a 50% chance at another.

I still support Genipedia as somewhat reliable, but it must always be taken with a grain of salt. 70% reliability is equatible to 30% fallibility, and is often incorrect.

One of the main reasons it cut out Combat Commando and Cunning Conspirator is stealth time and team size. usually the (calculated) odds for Cunning Conspirator in a team with less than three spies is .000001%, highly unlikely.

Usually, though, I just check genipedia to find out what a genre is all about after I get it. Your right about it's problems. It seems that the narrower of a list of genres it gives you, the more likely it will be wrong. Sometimes I think it's just spitting out random numbers, and is achieving 70% reliability through large lists with small percentages on each possibility.

On a related note, have you noticed how half of genipedia's pages have been removed? most of them seem to relate to the locked classes, and Genco recently put out a lawsuit against genipedia's founders. I believe it was allong the lines of pirating information that genco charges people for, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-08-31 at 10:32 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

On a related note, have you noticed how half of genipedia's pages have been removed? most of them seem to relate to the locked classes, and Genco recently put out a lawsuit against genipedia's founders. I believe it was allong the lines of pirating information that genco charges people for, but I may be wrong.
    More like information they'd like to charge people for. Nobody actually buys one of the official Genguides. I usually just get copies from !MESSAGE REDACTED! ENJOY GENCOLA!
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-08-31 at 11:38 PM. Reason: ENJOY GENCOLA
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #994
    Barbarian in the Playground

On a slightly meta note, that sadly seems like something that might actually happen.
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_Riolu View Post
    On a slightly meta note, that sadly seems like something that might actually happen.
    Isn't it amusing how we're throwing it around as if it were actually canon, listing obscure sites that would make perfect sense in universe, but don't necessarily actually exist?

Lets get out of meta, and back into that "IC" mode please, thank you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

As someone who isn't a representative of GenCorp, I muat say they are perfectly justified in threatening to sue the creatora of GenPedia and Blue Hat should totally buy the Official And Complete GenCorp Guide to GenSpies, which has a useful and only mildly confusing matrix to describe unlocking Genres.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

I for one believe most of this mumbo jumbo is just an attempt to cover the fact that there are just too few places were a stealthed spy can be very effective. Give me some high level creatures I need to sneak around and crawl through the air vents to activate the bases self distract button or something! Make stealth actually MEANINGFUL! Rather then “sneak past random monster you could otherwise kill anyways and stab it in a different location”
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-09-01 at 04:16 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    I for one believe most of this mumbo jumbo is just an attempt to cover the fact that there are just too few places were a stealthed spy can be very effective. Give me some high level creatures I need to sneak around and crawl through the air vents to activate the bases self distract button or something! Make stealth actually MEANINGFUL! Rather then “sneak past random monster you could otherwise kill anyways and stab it in a different location”
    They tried that once. Remember Castle Connery.
    Spies hated it because they actually had to play as spies, and everybody else hated it because they were useless.
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    They tried that once. Remember Castle Connery.
    Spies hated it because they actually had to play as spies, and everybody else hated it because they were useless.
    then what they should have done is have a "main" entrance the other classes can enter through and fight wave after wave of barely-beatable minions while the spy sneaks in an ETC ETC ETC.

if they didint have a spy in the party then.. i unno, there could be a conveniently placed key somewhere making it possible to smash-and-bash your way into it and do the job, but its still a heckuva lot harder without a spy.

and if a spy doesn’t want to play as an actual spy, well they shouldn’t have chosen the spy class now should they?

And sadly no, I actually only started playing the week after they removed Connery, that was the part of the game I was most looking forward too the most too >.< wound up rerolling to mechanic so I could lead my own army of clockwork minions
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    then what they should have done is have a "main" entrance the other classes can enter through and fight wave after wave of barely-beatable minions while the spy sneaks in an ETC ETC ETC.

if they didint have a spy in the party then.. i unno, there could be a conveniently placed key somewhere making it possible to smash-and-bash your way into it and do the job, but its still a heckuva lot harder without a spy.

and if a spy doesn’t want to play as an actual spy, well they shouldn’t have chosen the spy class now should they?

And sadly no, I actually only started playing the week after they removed Connery, that was the part of the game I was most looking forward too the most too >.< wound up rerolling to mechanic so I could lead my own army of clockwork minions
    Well it was pretty much built for spies. It had these ridiculously tough guards you had to sneak past, laser fields you needed to jump through, the works. It was lots of fun, but you really HAD to be a spy to beat it, and it would show up even if only one team had a spy. It also meant that the Spy got to run around having fun while everybody else just sat around and waited.
    Then later they nerfed the guards so you could beat it without stealth, but then it was faster for the entire team to just fight through it normally.

I think it still spawns occasionally, but now it's just another standard castle with a spy theme.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-09-01 at 10:24 AM.
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Well it was pretty much built for spies. It had these ridiculously tough guards you had to sneak past, laser fields you needed to jump through, the works. It was lots of fun, but you really HAD to be a spy to beat it, and it would show up even if only one team had a spy. It also meant that the Spy got to run around having fun while everybody else just sat around and waited.
    Then later they nerfed the guards so you could beat it without stealth, but then it was faster for the entire team to just fight through it normally.

I think it still spawns occasionally, but now it's just another standard castle with a spy theme.
    laaaaaaaaaame
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

> BH: Check Genre Grid.

What.

Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

> Genre Grid, I am dissapoint.
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

Rats .
    Now we got a bad one.
    let the comedy ensue!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

pssh! you guys got it all wrong! II can be totally helpful!

>BH: switch to INEPT INFORMER and being poking around RANDOM PANNELS to find out WHAT THIS MACHINE YOUR IN IS SUPPOSED TO DO

>BH: construct COMMUNICAITION DEVICE and send a SIGNAL to MG.

>MG: construct CC#002, fit it with TRANMISSION INTERCEPTER to spy on ENEMY COMMUNICAITIONS.

>CC#002: DETECT BH’S SIGNAL

CC#001: attempt to PLAY with your new FREIND

i mean its not like MG and SM were sitting on their butts this whole time and not guaining any EXP right?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-09-01 at 10:53 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Can't we already contact our team through the chat client?
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

BH> Switch to Inept Informant.

Even if it's not a very good class, few people realises it's the first necessary step to unlock a much better but understimated class later: the elusive but valuable Slick Sleuth.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-09-01 at 11:36 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

18. - Top - End - #1008

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post

Even if it's not a very good class, few people realises it's the first necessary step to unlock a much better but understimated class later: the elusive but valuable Slick Sleuth.
    And one of the most powerful genres, an offshoot of that that GenCo. doesn't even officially recognize: Problem Sleuth.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post

Slick Sleuth? Woah. I hadn't even thought of that, I thought it was just a rumor, or a glitch.

You know, a friend of a friend who played the beta once got Slick Sleuth. I've seen screenshots of course, but I thought they were Shopped.
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

what's with the corner of our genre grid?

Oh, it's too horrifying to bear. We get a pitiful genre, and it glitches on top of that!

Install Antivirus

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

BH: Change your tie's colour. It needs to be blue.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2010-09-02 at 06:07 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

>MG: Chew out SM
    >SM: Give looted cores to MG
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

Slick Sleuth? Woah. I hadn't even thought of that, I thought it was just a rumor, or a glitch.
    Nothing like that. It's just that Inept Informer sucks so incredibly much that everyone avoids it. Add that unlocking Slick Sleuth is really hard and you can see why most people never even see one.

But now that we're stuck with Inept Informer we should try make lemonade, so to speak.

>BH: Make DELICIOUS LEMONADE
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahh, but besides the slick sleuth, the Inept Informer is the key to the Bumbling Badass Genre.

(Clearly not the best name D: )

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NotAEvilToaster View Post
    Ahh, but besides the slick sleuth, the Inept Informer is the key to the Bumbling Badass Genre.

(Clearly not the best name D: )
    True enough. But having to not attack your enemies as your main damage dealing mechanism feels very wierd, IMO. But that's just my personal bias showing, it's powerful enough if played right.

(I like it!)
    Truth resists simplicity.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

See, thing is, the Icon is Annotated "Inept Informer", but the icon is glitched.

I'm not sure it'll work.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

27. - Top - End - #1017

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    See, thing is, the Icon is Annotated "Inept Informer", but the icon is glitched.

I'm not sure it'll work.
    On the other hand, icons are often stored separately from the coding of mechanics.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Bugbear in the Playground

]>BH: Switch to Inept Informer. Accidentally stumble upon HITHER-TO UNKNOWN DESTINATION.

Back when I was playing v.9, I fell into a bit of a spy rut after watching one of my buddies smoke the other team with an Able Assassin, but no matter what I did I always ended up getting Inept Informer. Essentially useless in any direct enemy confrontation, tricky puzzle, or even Lemonade Stand mini-game. But I also began to suspect that the Gengine tends to throw Inept Informers into just such situations deliberately, to ensure that the player knows exactly how worthless their Genre truly is.
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2010-09-02 at 04:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

> BH: Switch to Inept Informant.

You... you dun wanna.

You're afraid someone will execute you remotely in order to prove how evil he is or something.

> BH: Change your tie's colour. It needs to be blue.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2010-09-02 at 05:03 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

> BH: Change your tie's colour. It needs to be blue.

You decide to put the hopefully evitable off in order to address something or higher importance.

Like your tie color. Seriously, what's up with that? Your name is Blue Hat, so why do you have something red on you? I mean, you don't have a hat either, but couldn't at least the tie be blue?

You rectify that issue immediately with the inbuild COLOR CORRECTOR.

Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)