New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Shadow Slave Template [P.E.A.C.H.]

A Darksoul is a creature that, through the use of power and terrible dark magic, has had its soul replaced with shadow essence from the plane of shadow. Usually employed as spies and assassins, Darksouls are created because of their skills, and the ease with which they can be controlled. The primary attraction to employing a darksoul is that though it is easily dominated, it retains its knowledge and abilities from its previous life.
    A shadow soul appears nearly identical to the creature whose body was used to create it, though darksouls have ashy skin and theyr eyes often appear to be dark or even black.

Size and Type:
    Base creature's type changes to Undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, base save bonuses or skill points.

Hit Dice: All current and future hit die are changed to d12s.

Special Abilities:

Shadow Gossamer (Su):
    As a swift action, a Darksoul can generate a 15-pound or lighter item out of shadow gossamer, and it usually crafts a weapon just before attacking. A Darksoul is proficient with any weapon it creates from shadow gossamer, and such weapons have a range increment 10 feet longer than usual. Shields constructed of this substance have their armor check penalty lessened by 1. Shadow gossamer implements dissipate to nothingness if they leave the hands of a Darksoul for longer than 1 round. This ability is lost in any area of bright light. Shadow gossamer that lighter than most materials and somewhat insubstantial in some cases. Whenever used to make armor or shields, they grant 1 less bonus to the Darksoul's AC than a piece of armor or shield of that type. Additionally, armor and shields have the armor check penalty reduced by 1, and the maximum dexterity increased by 2 as well as 5% decrease in any arcane spell failure chance (minimum 0%). This ability cannot be used to create magical items though items created with this ability radiate faint conjuration magic.

Shadow Blend (Ex):
    A Darksoul is a creature of darkness and can disappear within it. In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.

Shadow Step (Su): A Darksoul gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow.
    This ability is usable at will and has a caster level equal to the darksoul's HD.

Special Qualities: A Darksoul creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains those described below.

Soul bound: Upon creation, a Darksoul’s soul is contained within a vessel. The possessor of this item has great power over the Darksoul. When in the presence of the possessor (within 30ft), the Darksoul is filled with an uncontrollable feeling of dread. A Darksoul is bound to the possessor and must obey any order given, though not necessarily to the “best” of their ability. A Darksoul cannot directly lie to the possessor but if he succeeds on a will save (DC 19) then the Darksoul can word responses to be vague and can choose to omit some details (unless directly asked). 1/day, the possessor can summon the Darksoul to his presence, the ability instantly teleports the Darksoul to the possessor who appears in a puff of a billowing shadows or emerges from the area of darkness nearby. Lastly, the possessor can punish the Darksoul by torturing his soul, causing 1 point of temporary wisdom damage for every round he chooses to maintain the treatment. If a Darksoul is slain the soul in the vessel is lost and raise 1d4 days later as a shadow (or a greater shadow if the creature possessed 10 or more hit die at the time of death.) in the service of the possessor. A vessel becomes attuned to any being who possess it for 1 hour. A Darksoul cannot touch an attuned vessel and takes 1 negative level he remains in contact with it, these negative levels dissipate 1 hour after contact is dismissed. A Darksoul cannot directly attack his owner but can orchestrate plans against him, so long as said plans do not contradict a given order. A Darksoul may touch an un-attuned vessel.

Damage Reduction:
    5/Magic

Dark-vision (Ex): A Darksoul creature gains darkvision out to 120 ft.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Darksoul creatures suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell. Furthermore, whenever taking damage from a spell with the Light descriptor, a Darksoul creature becomes dazed for 1 round.

Spell-like abilities: Darkness 3/day

Abilities: +4 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma, -4 Constitution
    (Despite being undead, darksouls retain their constitution score; as such they are not immune to all effects that requires a Fortitude save. Though they are still immune to poison and disease.)

Skills:
    +8 to move silently and hide checks

Challenge Rating: Original creature +2

Alignment: Usually Evil.

Advancement: as Character.

Level Adjustment: +3.

-0-

Not Finished

Not quite sure how the ritual to create one will work yet. If anyone has any suggestions that would be cool.

Edit: oh, and I'm aware that most of the abilities are just taken from other creatures. I just really likes some of them.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-30 at 04:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadow Slave Template [P.E.A.C.H.]

Make the skill bonuses +8.

I'll come up with more later. Too tired now.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3

Is shadow gossamer specifically a material, disallowing the use of mithral breastplates (and other armors that would weigh fifteen pounds or less)?

What does the darksoul look like? Are there any changes in appearance? Are the eyes black or something?

Raise the damage reduction to 5/magic or 5/-.

I'd say raise the darkvision to 120 feet.

By far, its best abilities are shadow blend and shadow step. I don't think those alone warrant LA +3 though. I'm not great with LA though, so I might be wrong.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Their Soulbound ability is a good reason why they shouldn't be playable by players (and thus granted no LA)
    Barring that why exactly do they retain their constitution score? Just make them aberrations with most of the undead immunities you want. Fluff could be that they are infused with negative energy and the other half of their life force is within the vessel that commands them.
    How many times per day and at what caster level is shadow step cast? while supernatural abilities cannot be countered its caster level is useful to determine the distance traveled.
    DR should be 5/silver and magic
    you may omit the darkvision entry. both undead and aberrations get darkvision 60 feet.
    Unless you clarify shadow step its LA is hard to determine. (if shadow step is at will this is weak LA +3, if it has daily uses its a weak to medium LA +2 IMO).
    I believe Shadow gossamer cannot create magic items or items from special materials but it needs clarification (a gp limit would be cool).
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-01-27 at 10:21 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

It's got HiPS and At-Will Dimension Door, with bad stat penalties (losing fortitude saves is bad, and you essentially have D8 HD with your new constitution compared to your old) for minor bonuses (Int is only useful for classes based on it and they don't want 3 LA, +4 dex isn't amazing.)

Even if the Dimension Door is at-will, it's still not amazing, and certainly not worth LA 3. Then again, not much is worth LA 3.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    It's got HiPS and At-Will Dimension Door, with bad stat penalties (losing fortitude saves is bad, and you essentially have D8 HD with your new constitution compared to your old) for minor bonuses (Int is only useful for classes based on it and they don't want 3 LA, +4 dex isn't amazing.)

Even if the Dimension Door is at-will, it's still not amazing, and certainly not worth LA 3. Then again, not much is worth LA 3.
    Thats why i clarified weak. remember its a supernatural ability and it adds to its survivability considerably (especially since it can be quickened via a feat in ToM when you hit 8 HD if i remember correctly). But i can see it being LA +2 even if Shadow step was at will.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-01-27 at 10:25 PM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    It's got HiPS and At-Will Dimension Door, with bad stat penalties (losing fortitude saves is bad, and you essentially have D10 HD with your new constitution compared to your old) for minor bonuses (Int is only useful for classes based on it and they don't want 3 LA, +4 dex isn't amazing.)

Corrected very small error.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Considering almost all of their abilities are darkness dependant... Darkness as a SLA?
    Seems sensible.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.