New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] Gold of the Phantom

Dairuin looked up as the captain entered, rising to his feet. Upon being informed of the crippled human's proposal, he pursed his lips in an amused grin. "Treasure from the lands of the cursed Undead? Well, that is quite a tale. Do you believe him? Something like that may well say anything to avoid the doom which awaited him."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Renard shrugged. “He is a very stupid man, who thinks he is very clever. I think I would know if he was lying.”

He leaned against the wall, biting his thumb.

“The problem is the Admiral’s wife, no? Apparently this Velasco is a big fish.” He seemed to drift off a little. “A great big shark.”

The captain snapped back to the topic at hand.
    “In any case, he still has the damsel in distress, no? And apparently, a ship larger and more powerful than the poor Vixen. He expects monsieur Rico delivered in four days, and if not...” – the Breton drew a finger across his throat, and grimaced. “Perhaps, in other circumstances, I would leave the lady to fend for herself, but in her condition it seems a little unchivalrous. And in any case, once he was done with her, he would be after us.”

He looked straight at Dairuin. “I have not told the clubfoot any of this, of course. We may still have to deceive him to play our best hand, eh?”
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #153

"You have a plan, Monsieur? I, too, am hesitant to leave the woman in the clutches of the worst of men. Especially if they would nonetheless then seek us."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"As a matter of fact," grinned Renard, pulling up a chair, "I believe I do."

Reaching for the map of their course, he put his finger on Gannet Crag. "We make for the exchange - but first, we stop into Porto Real," - his finger moved a little to the North, "pick up as many likely ruffians as the good Admiral's money will buy. Then, we head to the Crag, hand over Rico, and secure the distressed damsel. They gave us four days, we should have ample time, no?"

"The Admiral, he did not give us a deadline. So, once the lady is safely in our hands, we simply follow Velasco - at a discreet distance, of course - to the treasure. After all, he is the man with the pulleys and divers and things. When they are busy pulling it up, half of them will be underwater - we sneak up, board his ship, kill Velasco, and take control." He snapped his fingers. "A ship, and the treasure to boot. What do you say?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #155

Dairuin curled a long strand of hair over one pointed ear. "It is risky, but my family has learned that nothing in life is gained without a little risk. Such things life among Tileans will teach!" He gestured at the map with one long finger. "Following another ship on the open sea is most uncertain; we ought to get our new... shipmate to draw us a map. In return for a share, yes?"
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-06-02 at 07:18 AM.
    Games:

=

=

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Renard shrugged. "I would not trust a map drawn by that man even if I knew he was trying to do it right. But oui, it cannot hurt. I shall tell him so."

Turning to leave, Renard made his way back to the brig, shouting out to Vasco as he went:

"New heading, Monsieur Vasco! Chart a course for Porto Real!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, sir!" the halfling shouted back. Then, to Giulio: "We're going to Porto Real first, boy! Plan our course accordingly."

"Yes, yes, same direction," answered the young navigator.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied that his orders were being carried out, Renard headed back down into the bowels of the ship, to see the prisoner.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

(OOC: Autopiloting Renard with LCP's approval.)

The prisoner was shifting uncomfortably in his chair, cringing away from Svanhildur every time she came too close. The Norse woman appeared to take pleasure in it.

"So," Rico greeted the captain, "what's your Elf saying?"

"We'll find your treasure," said Renard with a wolfish smile. "And you'll even get an officer's share. Not bad, eh?"

"...but...?" said Rico suspiciously.

"First off, we need you to draw us a map to the treasure."

"Oh, d'you take me for a complete idiot, captain?" scoffed Rico. "Did you even listen when I told you why Velasco wants me alive so badly? That's because the only map is here." He tapped his temple with a finger. "And for all I know, it's the only thing that keeps you from marooning me on the first rock we come across."

"You misunderstand, friend," replied Renard coolly. "I wasn't asking."

"What are you gonna do if I refuse?" snorted Rico. "Listen, captain, I ain't got nothing to lose. I'm concerned with only two things, my survival and my purse. And my survival comes first, 'cause dead men have no use for gold. As long as I'm the only man alive who knows where the Phantom is, your threats don't scare me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

"I assume you're asking for a bribe," said Gino, leaning against the back wall, well out of the way. He had been meaning to remonstrate with the Norsewoman for kicking Rico, but after having seen how thoroughly irritating the cripple was, he decided he wouldn't bother. He clanked over to Rico. "Survival can be made very unenjoyable, sir. Amputated limbs do not grow back. Nor do missing eyes, teeth, ears, organs, even more sensitive areas. Presuming I removed your guts. Imagine how long it would take for your precious survival to run out, and you wishing it would..."
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-06-03 at 07:49 PM.

...more scared of the living...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"Once saw a man lose his guts," Svanhildur adds calmly from behind Rico, "Wasn't a good way to go.. Hmm.. I wonder how he'd go without the good foot? What do you think Gino?" she says jovially, putting her hand on Rico's shoulder, "But of course, that's not going to happen, he'll be a good man and do what the Captain says, won't you, Rico?" her grip tightens on his shoulder at the mention of his name.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gonna roll Intimidate untrained I guess: (1d100)[87]
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"They make compelling arguments, do they not?" said Renard, quietly.

He crouched down, so as to be level with Rico's face.

"Yes, I listened to your story, Rico. Every detail. Particularly the part," he said, "when you destroyed your charts and deserted your first captain, for no better reason than that you wanted the treasure for yourself."

"If you think I am turning the Vixen into your personal transport, so that you can find your treasure and leave the rest of us in the lurch, you are sorely mistaken. I will not suffer a man like you to pilot my ship, and neither will I trust her safety to your good behaviour."

He stood up again. "It is your choice, monsieur. But unless you have changed your mind by the time we reach our next port - then I will hand you over to Velasco. His money, monsieur, is guaranteed."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-06-04 at 02:24 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I can't really steal the treasure all by myself," retorted Rico, "it's much too big. All I really want is a good share. An' I'm gonna earn that share, don't worry about that. Don't you think you can rob be of it. Sorry, cap'n, no map. You'll have to rely on me." He gave Renard an ugly smirk full of rotten teeth. "An' you don't want to hand me over to Velasco. He's a tricky one, trust me on this. Yer not being paid enough for this."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Renard looked a little surprised.

"But we can rob you of it, monsieur. As soon as it is hauled up, onto our ship. Whether you draw the map or not, nothing is stopping us from pitching you overboard the moment it touches the deck." He smiled disconcertingly. "Either way, all you have is my word, and my disposition towards you."

He turned to leave the brig. "Right now, that is not doing so well, monsieur Rico. Think it over, eh? You have until we reach port."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "But we can rob you of it, monsieur. As soon as it is hauled up, onto our ship. Whether you draw the map or not, nothing is stopping us from pitching you overboard the moment it touches the deck."
    "Point," grunted Rico, "but I'd rather not hasten my death if you're plannin' to get rid of me. Besides, d'you trust your crew?" He glared at Svanhildur and Gino. "One of 'em could steal the map for hisself. But, see, it's harder to steal a man than a map. All you need to know for now is that the Phantom sank in the northern Isles of the Sirens, somewhere between Cera-Scuro and Tobaro. I'll tell you more when we get there."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, d'you trust your crew?" He glared at Svanhildur and Gino. "One of 'em could steal the map for hisself."
    "And collect the treasure with what ship, monsieur? You tried that yourself, and look how you ended up. Awaiting execution in a Luccini gaol."

"As it happens, though, I do trust my crew. I am a man of my word, and so are they. Something you are evidently unfamiliar with."

He nodded to the two mercenaries. "Gino and Svan here will be your guards until we reach port. If you decide trusting us might be better than your chances with Velasco before then, tell them to fetch me."

The captain of the Vixen turned and left - as he headed out of the brig, he murmured in Gino's ear:

"Don't let this weasel out of your sight."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Gino nodded, cracked his knuckles, drew his crossbow and sat down on a chair in front of the door, intermittently pointing the weapon at Rico. Even if he had had qualms about being a mercenary, not a servant, it would be its own reward to intimidate this slimy cripple.

A sea journey, again. Below deck, what was more, with no alcohol. It was going to be a long trip, but this disgusting man should do for a sick-bag.
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-06-05 at 09:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The wind was against them the whole day, but they made good time nonetheless, and when night fell Giulio gazed at the stars and announced with no small amount of pride that they had not deviated from the right direction. Sometime after dinner, Rico finally gave the captain a map of the Isles of the Sirens with a big red X scrawled between Tobaro and Cera-Scuro.

Spoiler
    Show

"It's not precise enough," complained Giulio when he looked at the map. "It would take days to search this area... We need measurements taken from landmarks. We need the depth of the water."

But the prisoner staunchly refused to give any more details.
    "I'll tell you when we get there," he just grunted.

The second day, the wind was much better and the sky was clear, giving Renard every reason to be optimistic. Yet the Bretonnian could not help but notice that, despite the prospect of great wealth at hand's reach, not all of his crewmen looked particularly enthusiastic. According to Vasco, ever watchful of the crew's mood, they were afraid: some of them thought that Renard's plan was madness and argued when he was not within earshot that they should just head directly towards the Phantom instead of trusting the word of a pirate captain they had never even met. Wilhelm, in particular, was very unhappy about Renard's course of action, although he did not have enough of a spine to do anything about it.

About two hours before the dawn of the third day, the Vixen glided into the bay of Porto Real, a small, isolated fishing town of mixed Estalian and Tilean architecture. The town was dark and silent at this time of the night, except for maybe two or three taverns near the port.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    The hiring of new crewmen follows the rules for Skilled Services (p. 121, Table 5-18). Porto Real is in the Below 1000 population category when it comes to availability (p. 104, Table 5-3). Most of the able-bodied men in this town belong to the Fisherman and Seaman careers: hirelings of other careers will be harder to find.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-06-05 at 09:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

"Right," said Renard, rubbing his hands. "Dairuin, what do you say you and I pool our shares of the Admiral's downpayment? We'll set up our recruiting station in the largest tavern, tell them we're out for sunken gold and that there's ten shillings up front for every man who joins." He chuckled to himself. "One has to spend a little to make a lot, no?"

"Svan, Gino, you can do the rounds of the other taverns. Tell them about the once-in-a-lifetime offer that has just put into port, and make it sound convincing, eh?" He flicked the Tilean a gold coin. "Buy them a few drinks. And a few for yourself as well! Vasco, mind the ship, see that it's properly guarded - and the prisoner too."

He murmured in the Halfling's ear as he went to go ashore. "Don't let Monsieur Wilhelm ashore. He will spoil our pitch with his long face. Give him a bottle and roll him into his bunk when he's done, eh?"

OOC: By the 2/2/1 split proposed earlier, I believe that between them Renard and Dairuin have 28 gc of Admiral Romano's money to spend.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry, cap'n," said the halfling with a vicious smirk. "I'll make sure our guest stays where he is."

[hr]

Svan and Gino

At this late time of the night, just a few hours before morning, most of the taverns of Porto Real were quiet, the few remaining customers snoring loudly on the ground in a puddle of beer or vomit. Even the largest alehouse in town, Marco's Treasure, had reached the lowest point of its activity: the barman himself looked half asleep as he mechanically scrubbed his counter with a dirty rag. Finding hirelings would not be easy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Don Juan Armadillo

Sitting alone at his table in Marco's Treasure, the diestro stared boredly at the bottom of his tankard, that he had long ago emptied of its cheap, watery ale. It was too late in the night to have any fun: the male customers were too drunk or tired to fight with, and the female customers were too drunk or tired to even pay attention to his undeniable charm. The nights of Magritta, at least, were entertaining until dawn. But Porto Real was nothing but a small fishing town.

The door of the tavern swung open and Don Juan looked up with surprise. Two new customers, at this hour? Strange. They were not locals, that was for sure. They looked like battle-hardened travellers and had a businesslike look to them. One was a tall man who moved with the unconscious grace and poise of a skilled fighter, and the other was a fierce-looking Norse woman with an axe strapped to her back. A beautiful woman, too, with long golden hair and a hard, confident gaze.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

"Gah, what can I say about this Orc-hole?" mutters Gino, spitting on the floor and clanking over to the bar, gold piece in hand. "Mead, if you have it, barkeep, wine if you don't. And another drink for anyone willing to listen to a proposition." he adds (loud enough to stir the bored and asleep) to the bar at large, before sitting at the largest empty table possible.

Gino indicates "Lucrative deal, possible danger," in Battle Tongue during his speech, some way or another. But he will only ever explicitly mention joining the Vixen's crew to retrieve some property.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don Juan beamed as he saw the two enter, only to frown at the sight of so uncouth a woman. Certainly, she had her feral charms about her, but for one such as Don Juan- El Maestro de Combatte- his tastes were far more refined. Refined in the sense of "ladylike" rather than "Will cut your manhood off", of course.

When the declaration of work was made, the diestro couldn't help but split a smile. Danger? Pfah! Danger was his lifeblood, and doubtlessly whatever this skilled man- and his brutish companion- contemplated as risky was going to certainly be a test of talent! It was a test of talent that had brought the Estalian to this place, though the wine and the women had served as a good distraction from that task. Setting the piss-water called ale down, he rose from his seat. Donning his hat and fluttering out his cloak, he approached the duo with a wide smile, the golden wristguard of his rapier shining with fresh polish and lantern light.

"Hola!" He declared, revealing a full set of polished teeth. Estalian wine did wonders for one's teeth, "You are looking for a skilled hand such as myself, senior? Yo estoy en la ciudad de agua, y me gusta- por favor- un poco violencia."

He gave a small pause before giving another devilish smile, "What I meant was, my friend, that I could use a bit of coin, as well as some...'action', I believe you say en Reikspiele?"
    Last edited by Gunther; 2010-06-13 at 09:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Svan turns to regard the man in front of her, with his dazzling smile and confident bearing, before turning to Gino, [Tilean]"I'll let you deal with this one, I need a drink. Though if he's anywhere near as good as it looks like he thinks he is, he should be good."[/Tilean] with that, she gives the man a feral grin, points her thumb towards Gino, and heads to the bar, [Tilean]"Barkeep, a drink! and none of this piss!"[/Tilean] she says, indicating a mug of ale on the bar.
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2010-06-14 at 12:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep glared at Svan, but his eyes softened a bit when they fell on her razor-sharp weapons.

"Um. Yes, miss. I have rum." He poured a small glass of deep brown rum and put it on the counter. "Four coppers, please."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-06-14 at 08:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"It'll do." Svan declares, slapping some coppers down on the table and receiving her drink. She takes a swig and looks around, taking in the occupants of the bar. Deciding whether the pitch will be worth it here. Apart from the Estalian, who was still talking to Gino.

27. - Top - End - #177

Don Juan grimaced as he heard the foul language of the Tileans spoken in here. It was only fitting that a barbarian was the one to speak their language of grunts. That it was a barbarian woman provided some small measure of satisfaction to the Estalian duelist. He had fought the people of Tilea before- they were far too cowardly and weak wretches to employ their own people, instead relying up mercenaria- mercenaries- to fight in their stead!

Which was only fitting, considering the fact that there was a Norscan woman speaking in their tongue! At the obvious disrespect of speaking Tilean to the Estalian, he promptly bit his thumb before speaking once more.

"La lingua de Tileia- una lingua de barbaros y feo senoritas!" He spat, before resting his hand on the hilt of his rapier. "I take it those hijos de putas, the Tileans, have employed you at some point?" He asked the woman.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

For the sake of moving the game along I'll take a couple of liberties for the sake of communication.

Svanhildur stops and turns towards the Estalian, seeing that Gino seems otherwise occupied and this one seems intent on speaking to her in.. a frustrating amount of languages. She gives him the universal signal for one moment. She casts her eye about for a "translator" eventually alighting on some poor wretch who doesn't seem too much the worse for drink.
    [Tilean]"You! You speak Riekspiel?"[/Tilean] she says, clamping her hand down on the man's shoulder in a slightly less than friendly manner.
    The man looks up, somewhat disgruntled until she meets the Norsewoman's fierce gaze, [Tilean]"Er, yeah, used to work the docks over that way, picked up the lingo right enough, why?"[/Tilean] he says, somewhat warily.
    [Tilean]"Good, you're translating, in exchange I'll buy you a drink, sound fair?"[/Tilean]
    [Tilean]"Um, I think I might want a little more tha-"[/Tilean]
    [Tilean]"Excellent, come with me!"[/Tilean]
    "Erk", Svanhildur half leads, half drags the man over to where the Estalian is. [Tilean]"Now, ask the gentleman to repeat what he said earlier, and tell him that the crew of the Vixen is hiring, if he's interested."[/Tilean]
    [Riekspiel]"Er, the lady wants me to tell you to say what you said before again, and that if yer interested their ship's hirin', name o' the Vixen. Please, I think she means to do me an injury if'n I don't translate."[/Riekspiel]
    Svan stands behind him, one hand on his shoulder, smiling at the Estalian.
    Spoiler
    Show

Conversation translated via babelfish:
    "Voi! Parlate Riekspiel?"
    "Er, sì, ha usato per funzionare i bacini sopra quel senso, preso la destra della masserella abbastanza, perché?"
    "Buon, state traducendo, in scambio I' affare del ll voi una bevanda, suono giusto?"
    "Um, penso che potrei volere un poco più que-"
    "Eccellente, venga con me!"
    "Erk"
    "Ora, chieda al signore di ripetersi che cosa ha detto più presto e dicagli che la squadra del Vixen stia assumendo, se è interessato."
    "Äh, wünscht die Dame mich Ihnen erklären, dass sagen, was Sie vor wieder sagten und das, wenn Sie interessiert sind, die ihr Schiff anstellt, Name des Vixen. Bitte denke ich, dass sie bedeutet, mich zu tun eine Verletzung, wenn ich nicht übersetze."
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2010-06-15 at 12:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Don Juan, seeing the shenannigans go on, decided to better keep his qualms to himself. It was ungentlemanly to invoke a curse in public, let alone upon a woman that- clearly- was simply trying to make do.

Then again, said woman was- apparently- deeply aligned with the Tileans. Keeping his Estalian as restrained as possible, he spoke clearly in Reikspiel, slipping into the Empire tongue with a wide smile.

"I said that the Tilean language is...very crude. Estalian is much more fluid. I regret not being able to speak it more openly." He eventually declared, gesturing towards the woman, "But if you want to find a champion of Estalian swordsmanship, look no further- my dueling skills can easily outstrip that of any sailor you might pick up here otherwise. All that really matters is the length of the voyage, and to where- coin is always a helpful factor in addition."

Bah. Reikspiel. Of all the crude languages, it was perhaps the most manageable- it had taken several words from both Estalian and Tilean, and the resulting abomination was crude-but-workable. With any good fortune, Don Juan would be able to hone his skill sometime soon, especially aboard a naval ship. He had, back on the Santa Elizabetha, actually spent a fair amount of time honing his fencing jabs with the "flying fish" that every-so-often emerged from the water to flop above the railing line. It had taught him a valuable lesson on timing and speed, and hopefully he could learn just as much this time around!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Listening patiently to her new friend's translation Svan nods, "Dicagli: Spiacente, non sono ancora buono viaggiato abbastanza per parlare di più… le linguette civilizzate, io non desidero discutere questo con un mezzo, voi purtroppo, dovrò richiamare le vostre preoccupazioni al mio shipmate qui," she indicates Gino, "Per ulteriori informazioni."
    The man looks nervously from Svan, to Gino, to Don Juan. Before eventually relaying the message: "She says sorry fer not speakin' yer lingo, and that she doesn't want me hearin' yer private conversation, so she's palming you off to her mate."
    Once the man's finished speaking, Svan buys the man a mug of ale and sends him on his way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Translation:
    Tell him: Sorry, I'm not yet well travelled enough to speak more... civilised tongues, I do not wish to discuss this through a medium, you will unfortunately, have to address your concerns to my shipmate here, for further information