New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sedition (4e Dnd IC)

As Velketh speaks, Rychar's face lights up. The shifter seems to have a morbid interest in such things. "Well, this one seems fairly clear cut to me. They threw a body in, and a monster of some sort -presumably under their command- came out? It seems like a recruiting tactic to me."

To Bortos, "Gnolls have fine eyes, ears, and especially noses. That being said, they rarely pay great attention to their surroundings, being creatures with little patience or observational skills. However, there are gnolls, scouts in particular, who will be very difficult to sneak past."
    He thinks for a moment. "I would soak myself in gnoll piss had I that unenviable task. Foul, but it would probably work. If any among you can cast magic, perhaps you could nullify your scents with the arcane arts."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    Bortos look disgusted at the idea of bathing in gnoll piss, I gues that is why I am not such a good stealther.

Satisfied by the scholar answer, he goes to an other point.
    "Why did they attack us before - expension, conquest, god driven, simple warfare, just for fun? Did we ever know their motive before we pushed them back? "

Spoiler
    Show
    Asking about it, Bortos will also think about it, if he would not already know this answer himself.

History : (1D20+3)[18]

3. - Top - End - #963

Spoiler
    Show

Before you think I'm cheating you since I never tell you anything from your knowledge rolls, let me remind you again: the gnolls are a mysterious race. That Rychar knows as much as he does is frankly extraordinary. Any knowledge checks made about the gnolls are likely going to be very hard indeed.

As you may have guessed, you do not know.

"Most of the reasons you mentioned," Rychar says in response to Bortos. "It doesn't seem like they're interested in expanding their territory-- I suspect they're nomadic-- but not only does Yannagh command that they conquer in his name, gnolls would do it anyway. If they share one common trait, it's a psychotic love for killing."

4. - Top - End - #964
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stark

"You seem rather keen about these beasts, Rychar. I suppose getting to study more about 'em would be your life goal, eh?"

5. - Top - End - #965

Rychar's eyes narrow. "You might say that," he says to Stark.

Spoiler
    Show

By the way, guys, whenever you're done with Rychar, just let me know, be it OOC or one of those awkward silences ingame. Whatever works for you.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    Picking up where Velketh is leading this conversation, and even tough he dont like the shifter much, Bortos add,
    "Why not come with us? You would be able to learn much more this way and we would benefit from your knowledge."

7. - Top - End - #967

"No. No," Rychar says very quickly in response to Bortos, almost jumping down the goliath's throat. "I'm a scholar. My place is in my study. Not fighting."

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stark

Stark smiled in a slightly unpleasant way. "I was hoping you'd say that," he said, cracking his knuckles. He leaned in to the shifter. "Just think of it, Rychar, my boy. You could be the first to study the gnolls up close. All that new knowledge, all that glory," Stark placed his finger alongside his nose, "And I'm sure Her Excellency would be most appreciative."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy
    (1d20+13)[18]

9. - Top - End - #969

Rychar leaps out of his mattress as Stark touches him. His features begin to shift into bestiality as he snarls "No! I am not 'your boy,' you lummox! And I will not accompany you! Get out of my lair, now! All of you!"

10. - Top - End - #970
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stark

Stark looks around rather bemusedly at his companions as Rychar slams the door after them. "Well..." he says, exhaling, "That could have gone better."

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    The goliath shrug at the dwarf,
    "I didnt really like him anyway. I guess we can go prepare and leave now. Unless anyone of you have anything else to do."

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

To be honest, I am surprised that went as well as it did with how it started. But yes, we should be on our way.

13. - Top - End - #973

The party, having concluded its business in the capital, returns to Mittegarve in order to pay Freyr, the "Art Collector," a visit. Within two days of travel by horseback, Mittegarve's southern palisade is in sight. The town is quiet, and the party finds itself unable to discern signs of life from a distance, particularly since it is a foggy day and the roaring of the nearby rivers obscures their hearing. Proceeding to the gate, they find it ajar.

The party enters the town, and any concerns are relieved as they immediately meet a survivor of the gnollish attack, who directs them to the inn in which the survivors are currently residing.

Inside the inn, the fireplace is blazing, people are gathered around tables, engaged in merry conversation, and there is a general air of well-being. They seem to have forgotten the horror of the events a few nights ago. The party spots the Speaker, who does not notice them, or, at least, does not acknowledge them immediately, and Bortos is able to pick out Freyr, sitting at his own table, reading from a parchment.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok Bortos, which one is it that sent you to collect the relic? While awaiting a reply Reed nods to the Speaker.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    Scanning the crowd, Bortos point Freyr.
    "It is him, name is Freyr. The kind of quesitonning it will require isnt my cup of tea. I'll introduce you and let you bring in the subject."
    Bortos walk up to the man and say,
    "Hello there Freyr, may we sit?"

16. - Top - End - #976

Freyr nods to Bortos. He smiles, at the goliath, obviously eager for his prize. He leans in over the table, asking "Do you have Sindri's final masterpiece? I shall be ever so disappointed if you failed your end of the bargain."

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    Bortos look at the man, his own face grim, after they all are sitting,
    "I think you will be disapointed. My friends and I would like to know more about this ... thing. How comes you would want such an horror? Did you even saw what it is?"
    Disgust as he speaks of the artefact can be plainly seen on his face. Still he keep control of himself and his tone down and unthreatning, but watch the man reaction and gauge his honesty.
    Bortos let someone else step in, as social interaction isnt his strong suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight (1D20+4)[13]

18. - Top - End - #978

Freyr drops his parchment, and the sickening warmth on his face freezes, as his eyes widen and he halfway rises out of his seat, like a cat with its back arched. "I know very well what it is I asked of you, Mr. Bortos, and now, please make it clear. Have you upheld your end of the bargain?"

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, we haven't brought your accursed artifact for you. Explain your purpose with such an object.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+12)[29]

20. - Top - End - #980

Spoiler
    Show

Gnomes. Intimidation. Soo much silliness.

Freyr's face blanches as Reed speaks. He stammers for a bit, then, in an undertone, he says, "I've spent the last twelve years of my life as a purveyor of, ah, exotic art. Such as the...work I asked you to retrieve. What I tell the inquisitive is that I collect them. I have not for many years, though I used to have most of Sindri's work in my possession. When I was younger, such art delighted me. But now I find it revolting and disturbing. I can't get the images, the screams, out of my head. They haunt me. They whisper to me in my dreams, and twist my thoughts. But I sell them, to a man from Krofthull, or at least that's where we meet. He pays me, not just in gold and gems, but in promises. He tells me I'll be powerful beyond my wildest imaginings. I don't believe him, but I don't have any other option. He's told me I'm to continue finding Sindri's remaining works, or that he'll gnaw on my bones. That's what he said." Freyr, looking deflated, slumps. "That's my purpose."

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What can you tell us about this man from Krofthull?

22. - Top - End - #982

"He stinks of death," Freyr hisses. "Its odor pools about him like a cloak. I've not seen his face. He keeps it shrouded, and we always meet in the dark. But his voice...it is an animal's growl as much as a man's speech."

23. - Top - End - #983
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Velketh

"There are always options, you just have to look for them. Do you know why he wants these artifacts?"

24. - Top - End - #984
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stark

An animal-voiced man that stinks of death, hmm? Stark thinks to himself. Maybe these gnolls have been here longer than we think...

He clears his throat. "How long have you been meeting with this... collector? I think we may want to pay him a visit."

25. - Top - End - #985

Freyr shakes his head wearily at Velketh. "I do not know what I can do." In response to Stark, he says. "Five years it's been."

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Leaning forward over the table, This collector, would he be a gnoll by any chance? Keep in mind that the truth of this answer is very important.....

27. - Top - End - #987

"I told you. I've never seen his face. I do not know. He could may well be, for all I know."

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bortos
    I hope Reed assumptions are wrong... if this man is a gnoll, this could be a problem...
    The goliath sigh and tell Freyr,
    "Look, we could help you deal with this man. We would go with you next time you go meet him and help you deal with. I beleive you are sincere and I am ready to help you in this, but you have to be open and tell us all you know."

29. - Top - End - #989
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stark

"In five years, what other horrible devices have you..." Stark spits the word, "collected for this Hells-spawned dog man!" He leans in closely to Freyr, the flickering light of the inn's fires making the white scar across the dwarf's cheek stand out even more. "If you help us here, I may be able to keep you from rotting in prison for the foreseeable future."