New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Test of Spite [3.5]

Do you have a problem with 4 Mirrors of Opposition vs the Wizard?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

2. - Top - End - #182

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Do you have a problem with 4 Mirrors of Opposition vs the Wizard?
    There is a reason I self banned simulacrum.

3. - Top - End - #183

ok, guess i'm looking for another qualifier.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

ToS Fix: Spellblades now work as per spell-turning.

Weigh in, please?
    ToS Live Chat.
    Password: dog

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Test Of Spite View Post

Weigh in, please?
    More clarification on this.

Primary differences between spell blade and spell turning:

Spellblade has a delay that holds it until your next turn, spell turning works immediately.

Spellblade does not interact with a casting of spell turning, spell turning does.

Spellblade alters the target, Spell turning does not.

Spellblade has no limit to uses, spell turning affects 1d4+6 levels only.

Which of these function as spell turning? Any? All?

6. - Top - End - #186

Planetar

@PhoenixRivers
    Add to that list
    Spell turning is effective against SR: No spells, Spellblade isn't.
    Spell turning isn't effective against touch range spells, spellblade is.
    Last edited by Aharon; 2010-05-10 at 07:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    @PhoenixRivers
    Add to that list
    Spell turning is effective against SR: No spells, Spellblade isn't.
    Spell turning isn't effective against touch range spells, spellblade is.
    I'd put that first one as "Spellblade grants immunity to a spell, spell turning does not.

Both are valid, though.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Weigh in, please?
    against this; spellblades are limited to a single spell, this would make them an equivlent to the +5 reflecting property for 2000gp; I'd just say you can only have 1 spellblade propertie on the weapon, and you must be actively wielding it for it to be active.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    against this; spellblades are limited to a single spell, this would make them an equivlent to the +5 reflecting property for 2000gp; I'd just say you can only have 1 spellblade propertie on the weapon, and you must be actively wielding it for it to be active.
    As long as Spellblades follow the standard rule for Spell Immunity, it's not too bad. In other words, spells which don't allow SR aren't eligible for absorbing. That would prevent people from putting dispels on it. Beyond that, it's not too terribly bad.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    As long as Spellblades follow the standard rule for Spell Immunity, it's not too bad. In other words, spells which don't allow SR aren't eligible for absorbing. That would prevent people from putting dispels on it. Beyond that, it's not too terribly bad.
    I'm pretty sure this is what has prompted the discussion; I know I've done that on more recent characters once I found out about them. The danger lies in a CoDzilla instead of a crazy almagamation of say rouge/hexblade/warblade.

11. - Top - End - #191

I'm pretty sure this is what has prompted the discussion; I know I've done that on more recent characters once I found out about them. The danger lies in a CoDzilla instead of a crazy almagamation of say rouge/hexblade/warblade.
    ... or something like Fluffy.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the question of exactly how many spellblade shuriken you can wield in one hand.

And whether tying up a whole bunch of them on a quarterstaff counts as wielding.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    There's also the question of exactly how many spellblade shuriken you can wield in one hand.
    one
    And whether tying up a whole bunch of them on a quarterstaff counts as wielding.
    thats the reason why I suggested not letting multiple spellblade enhancements on 1 weapon, a quarterstaff theoriticly could hold 2 because it's a double weapon so it would depend on which end is currently the bisness end

14. - Top - End - #194

The idea is that you can only use 1 spellblade at a time, and it doesn't work on SR: No spells.

Make that distinction, and you're fine.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

The idea is that you can only use 1 spellblade at a time, and it doesn't work on SR: No spells.

Make that distinction, and you're fine.
    how about minions wielding spellblades + chain spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    how about minions wielding spellblades + chain spell?
    Elaborate on the intended tactic?

Here's a crack at rendering it OGL friendly. If adopted, it should be considered, in all ways, to be an update of the Spellblade enhancement:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellshift: A weapon with this enhancement grants a limited form of Spell Immunity to one spell, selected when the item is crafted. Whenever the wielder is targeted by the spell, the spellblade absorbs the effect. On the wielder's next turn, he may use a free action to retarget the absorbed ability, which then has its normal effect on the new target (if the wielder chooses not to do this, the absorbed spell dissipates harmlessly and is lost). If, for some reason, the selected spell is not targeted but still affects the wielder (for example, turned back by spell turning), the wielder is still immune to the effect, although the spellblade does not absorb it. If a character attempts to wield more than one spellblade at once, none function.
    Strong Abjuration; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Spell Immunity; Price +6000gp
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-10 at 04:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Planetar

@Phoenix
    That's a nice solution, but I'm not really seeing the intended use. Under the old interpretation that ignored the spell immunity clause, spellblade was used to protect against dispels - of which there aren't many. Of the top of my head, I can't name any spells that are single target, SR:Yes, and yet enough danger that I would want to be protected against them.

I like Doc Roc's approach better for that reason - it would be a cheap, one-spell-only spell turning (Assuming he will clarify that this was what he meant). One might argue that that would be underpriced at 6000, though.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    @Phoenix
    That's a nice solution, but I'm not really seeing the intended use. Under the old interpretation that ignored the spell immunity clause, spellblade was used to protect against dispels - of which there aren't many. Of the top of my head, I can't name any spells that are single target, SR:Yes, and yet enough danger that I would want to be protected against them.

I like Doc Roc's approach better for that reason - it would be a cheap, one-spell-only spell turning (Assuming he will clarify that this was what he meant). One might argue that that would be underpriced at 6000, though.
    I actually developed that while on IM chat with Doc Roc, and posted it for his opinion before bringing it here.

If you're not seeing a super-awesome use for the item, that's great. It's 6,000 gp. It should be about on par with other 6000 gp items.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...tm#bagofTricks
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...ingandClimbing
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...ipesofHaunting
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...shoesofaZephyr

Getting where I'm going with this? Immunity to a spell, even a single spell, is a steal at 6000 gp.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be willing to see Spellshift move to 10k and include a slightly broader range of possible targets. The issue is that selecting dispel really was extremely problematic, because it would lead to cases where super-tankers had two or three layers of threat management for incoming dispels. I'm not sure this is desirable from a metagame standpoint.

I do like the general thrust, if you will, of the OGL version of spellblade. An additional advantage is that if we do it this way, we can make it an obvious and visible choice by including it in the resources section, instead of an obscure barrier to entry like it has been. It's obviously not perfect, but I think we're moving towards an elegant solution to a persistent question.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

20. - Top - End - #200

At 10k, it should be on par with: this, or perhaps a little worse than belt of battle.

However, note: Spell turning effects are priced.

Reflecting shields are a +5 bonus (minimum of 35,000gp) for 1 spell, once a day.

I could see 10,000 for a specific spell turned, once a day. I could even see it as automatic (no action required), like a ring of counterspells, except with turning. Hell, I could see it functioning as a ring of counterspells, with the added effect of turning. You want another turn? Cast another spell into it. The unlimited absorption/turning of any one spell, however, is begging for abuse. Attaching a cost after the first, in terms of actions and resources, mitigates the power.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-10 at 07:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Elaborate on the intended tactic?
    As an example:

I get a half-dozen weapons with Spellblade (Enervation).

I then obtain a half-dozen minions, and pass them out to each minion.

I then cast Chain Enervation on the half-dozen minions, probably also targeting the final target.

Next round, all minions release their Enervations on target, likely obliterating it due to level drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    As an example:

I get a half-dozen weapons with Spellblade (Enervation).

I then obtain a half-dozen minions, and pass them out to each minion.

I then cast Chain Enervation on the half-dozen minions, probably also targeting the final target.

Next round, all minions release their Enervations on target, likely obliterating it due to level drain.
    Well, beginning play with a half dozen minions is possible, but not easy without summoning in the buff round, and item handouts. Still, yes, it is an effective tactic that uses (at +10k pricing) about 66k, as well as chain spell. I'd say that's a justified expense for such an ability.

And yes, I'd limit spellshifting to melee weapons only.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we are probably best served if we make it so that spellshift needs to be reloaded after each turn. It follows the best-case precedent of other, similar and often more expensive items.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    I think we are probably best served if we make it so that spellshift needs to be reloaded after each turn. It follows the best-case precedent of other, similar and often more expensive items.
    Max spell level stored of 6, and automatically turns the next casting of whatever spell is stored in it?

Basically: Functions as a ring of counterspells, except that the next casting of the spell that is targeted on the wielder is turned, as per spell turning?
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-10 at 09:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Added the following rule:

Extend Spell and Persistent Spell do not stack to result in a 48-hour duration.

This has actually been the case for a while, but for whatever reason it seems it never made it onto the banlist. We're now making it more visible.

Is anyone aware of any other rules that may have slipped through the cracks like this? I don't imagine unwritten rules are conducive to new players, and the last thing we need is more entry barriers.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-05-10 at 09:41 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Added the following rule:

Extend Spell and Persistent Spell do not stack to result in a 48-hour duration.

This has actually been the case for a while, but for whatever reason it seems it never made it onto the banlist. We're now making it more visible.

Is anyone aware of any other rules that may have slipped through the cracks like this? I don't imagine unwritten rules are conducive to new players, and the last thing we need is more entry barriers.
    last I checked the HARD fighter ban you cited is not up yet.

27. - Top - End - #207

Updated Spellshifting, to account for the direction that the discussion's taken:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellshifting:
    An armor with this ability allows a single spell of 6th level or lower to be cast into it, which cannot be cast out of the armor again. Instead, should that spell ever be cast targeting the wearer, the spell is immediately turned, as per Spell Turning, requiring no action (or even knowledge) on the wearer’s part. Once so used, the spell cast within the armor is gone. A new spell (or the same one as before) may be placed in it again.
    Strong abjuration; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Spell Turning; Price +10,000gp.

Primary Alterations: Treated as an actual spell-turning effect, allowing for SR:No spells.

Only turns one spell before recharge is required, and requires resources to do so.

Altered from Weapon enhancement to armor. Armor enhancement seems more fitting for a protective abjuration. Also solves most chain summon options, and multi-use tricks.

In exchange, allows the spell within it to change, as the wearer dictates.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-10 at 10:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

last I checked the HARD fighter ban you cited is not up yet.
    I was going off this:
    Fighter is replaced by War-marked which uses these marks
    <snip>
    These updates are no longer optional.
    I figured that if the Fighter is replaced completely, it's essentially the same as banning the Fighter. If this is not the case and people can still use the Fighter, I apologize. If so, the above text is rather confusing and should probably be changed.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a VERY strong preference that people use war-marked, because that sucker needs all the testing it can get.

30. - Top - End - #210

Planetar

Do rules changes apply to characters that were already submitted? For example, there's a submission by T.G. Oskar that uses the old paladin, can that still be used?