Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 381
  1. - Top - End - #1

    Default The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    You each awaken, vision slightly blurry, in the ruined husk of an inn. Everything had happened so fast. One minute, it was as normal as an inn in such a quiet locale could be...

    The next, the smoking husk of a pegasus came crashing through the wall, half its body melted to the bone. From the open door, the second floor living area of a small shop across the street seemed to break apart in the rain. You remember a few managed to leap to action. The first to leave the door, a stout dwarf with a crossbow shouldered, made it a full two steps before he froze in place, perfectly motionless. A shadowy creature, nearly seven feet tall with leathery wings, landed beside him, a pair of heavy picks glinting in its hands. Then came the popping of timbers, and the entire inn came crashing down.

    Glancing around, it seems that the townsfolk have been busy throughout the night. A half dozen pegasi are visible near the bonfire in the town square, being led in the clearing efforts, their harnesses attached by rope to fallen building supports. Illuminated also in the blaze is the body of the winged figure from before, now clearly visible as a half dragon. The other half was clearly orcish. Several individuals in breastplate made entirely of tinted glass seem to be directing the excavation of the inn, alternating between barking orders, clearing rubble, and attaching harness lines to fallen beams. Farther back, a single aging robed figure with a staff surveys the scene, speaking to what appears to be a pair of tall birdlike creatures, roughly humanoid in shape.

    A quick glance around reveals the inn to be the most damaged structure in the vicinity... though to call what remained a structure would be generous. Only two walls remain standing in the main tavern area, the ones nearest to the back storage area.

    The last thing you notice, perhaps because it's the farthest from the bonfire, is what appears to be the remnants of the main attacker. Large, scorched bones rest, scattered, against the ground. By large, it appears that the largest of you could comfortably stand in the husk of its ribcage. It appears to be the blackened, flayed skeleton of a dragon, though it's been so utterly annihilated as to make the process of identifying its color impossible for those not versed in draconic bone structure. Regardless, it appears to have measured nearly 80 feet from nose to tail.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the scene that each of you awake to. The aftermath of what appears to be a rather cataclysmic struggle. All party gear is intact. However, the collapse of the inn was a rather traumatic experience. Your nonlethal damage sustained is equal to your (maximum HP - 1). Actual HP are at full, which is more than can be said for many of the townspeople.

    Knowledge Checks available: Arcana/Religion (for information about the dragon husk or the half dragon)
    Local (for information about the glass armored figures, or the robed figure
    Planes (For information about the birdlike creatures)
    Architecture (For information concerning the building)

    Perhaps more, ask if there's anything you want more detail on.

    EDIT: Also, I never start a game depriving characters of items or spells, so consider your rest under the rubble of the building restful enough for spell preparation.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-02 at 04:06 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Solares

    Well, that's a job well done. Solares looks around a bit and then checks over his eagle. After that he'll head on over to the robed figure. Is there anyone that needs healing?
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-05-02 at 04:57 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Denaru

    Standing and dusting his armor off, Denaru seaches frantically for his companion Ignis before surveying the damage.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Arcana - (1d20+11)[30]
    Religion - (1d20+12)[23]
    [roll=Planes]1d20+15[roll]
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-05-02 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Ooopse
    Spoiler
    Show

    Planes - (1d20+15)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Can I turn into a cave anklyosaurus:
    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d20+16)[23]


    EDIT: Yes, yes I can
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-05-02 at 05:01 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Saph's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England.

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Ignis

    Ignis comes limping through the rubble. As soon as he sees Denaru he relaxes slightly. "That was quite a welcome. Better heal yourself up, just in case that wasn't all of it."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Enter Hunter's Sense stance. Knowledge checks:

    Arcana: (1d20+11)[15]
    Local: (1d20+8)[16]
    Planes: (1d20+11)[20]

    If any of those count as identifying a creature for the purpose of Collector of Stories, add five to the first applicable roll.
    Last edited by Saph; 2010-05-02 at 05:22 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #4 in the series, Chosen, is out as of September 2013. For updates, check my blog!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Mead

    The little gnome is grateful for her compact frame, which had been sandwiched in between two falling beams during the collapse of the inn. Mead wondered in the abstract who could hate a building enough to so clearly target it. Methodically, she inventories her supplies, and confirms that she is still equipped and ready for her work. Calamity was no excuse for untidiness, and before extricating herself from the beams, she resets her long silver hair and clears the soot and dust out of her clothes.

    Mead glances around to ensure that her recent travelling companions were also up and about.

    "Well, that was jolly impertinent. Hardly seemed like pirates. Did any of you catch sight of what did all this?"

    Continuing the perambulations outside, she discovers the answer to her own question, with an examination of the remains of the massive dragon.

    "Fascinating. Fascinating! To see a wyrm of this scale is rare enough. To have it fall in battle over...an inn? Extraordinary."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+12)[17]
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+12)[18]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+15)[30] - to try to identify what magic, if any, brought down the dragon.
    Search: (1d20+21)[32] Looking among the ruins of the inn for anything out of place.
    Spot: (1d20+16)[29] On principle.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  8. - Top - End - #8

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    @Skill checks:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Arcana: Your group can identify the dragon bones as belonging to a Red dragon.

    Religion: Scorched Symbols on the dragon's bones seem to predate the combat. They're reminiscent of necromancy, and...

    Local: ..the dialects are reminiscent of jungle cults, possibly of Chult. Further, the robed figure seems to be wearing the insignia of a Nimbral lord.

    Planes: The winged creature is an Avoral, which is a Guardinal possessed of powerful healing ability.

    Spellcraft: Not a lot is discernable about the specific spells, after such a length of time. However, you can glean that they were most likely targeted, single target spells, and, judging by the clean breaks in the bones, Disintigrate was likely thrown at least once.

    Search: It will take some time to sift through the rubble, I'll get back to you on this.


    The robed figure concentrates for a moment, and another Avoral appears. He then replies to Solares, "Healing is well in hand, sir. The immediate threat is passed, and with the fall of their master, the half-dragons are either dead here, or dead at sea. Baffling, though. Positively baffling."

    Following that, he gestures to the new avoral, who travels over to the bonfire area, and begins to heal the wounded.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-02 at 06:00 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Anything you need help with then?

  10. - Top - End - #10

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Another Avoral pops into being. The robed figure speaks to it in infernal (which gives the creature no small amount of distaste.)

    Infernal text
    Spoiler
    Show
    "No violence. Reverse the inflicted pain. Serve the human in glass armor."


    He then replies to you, in common, "Likely, if you're competent enough to be of use. Speak to the lead Knight. He'll be able to provide more specifics."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Solares issue a command to his eagle, who takes flight and circles overhead. (basically a "heel" command)

    After that, he walks up to the knight in charge. Is there any way I can help?
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-05-02 at 06:29 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    The knight seems a bit harried at the moment, as he replies, "Depends on what you can do. You just a pair of hands? An architect? A tracker? Let me know what you can... Damn it, Geoff, you're going to get that pegasus a broken leg if you keep fouling the lines like that! Clear away the rubble first!"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Solares gives a forlorn smile.

    Tracking, a pair of hands, healing, I can do any of them. Just let me know what you need me to find or do, and I'll gladly take care of it.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    IonDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central California, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Mudvayne

    Slow to rise, Mud shakes some plaster from his head, doing little to tidy his appearance and squeaks: Was I drinking moonshine again? Mother always said something like this would happen.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2010-05-02 at 07:14 PM.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

    Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Denaru

    If you require immediate assistance with healing, I can assist. I believe my services as a Tormtar might be better put to use. Do you have any idea why a creature like that would attack in such a reckless fasion? It seems uncharacteristic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  16. - Top - End - #16

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    The human in the glass armor looks at Denaru sharply... Almost suspiciously. "Funny you should mention that. See, that thing, by all accounts, was ancient. From what I've gathered from the lords, such a... thing... is akin to having the combined mind of mankind's last 20 greatest tactical minds. The attack came at a time that would suggest a lot of planning, but the creature itself was haphazard in its attack, clumsy. That hardly speaks to centuries of genius. One would expect to see the attack be masterfully executed. Instead, it appears that it was executed with all the precision of an ogre with a greatclub.

    The Lords tell me it's an indication that the attack was coordinated from the ground, else we'd have received more notice. They've also told me that the signal magic that started this off couldn't have come from within this town. As such, I need some eyes outside the town, to scour for the collaborators. Between the relief efforts from the attack, and increased patrols, the Nimbral Knights are somewhat stretched thin. I've been told that those who bring those responsible for this to justice will receive a reward befitting their actions. The lords have not seen fit to pass on precisely what that reward would be, but were you so inclined, I assure you, it would not go unnoticed.
    "

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Checks allowed for all: Listen
    Checks allowed for those listening to the Knight that spoke above: Sense Motive x2

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Spoiler
    Show

    Is that the guy I'm talking to as well?
    Listen: (1d20+19)[28]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[16]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[8]

    Lol... 7, 9, 9, 1
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-05-02 at 11:51 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Skill results:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: You get the feeling that he's not convinced that the Nimbral Lord is correct about the collaborator being outside the town.

    Listen: You overhear one of the other knights utter the phrase, ...zombie dragons... What's next?"

    And yes, you're speaking to the same knight.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Mead

    Mead does her best to follow the conversation from a distance, while trying to piece together what must have happened for the inn to collapse in the way it did.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (1d20+7)[10]
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Denaru

    Do you have any leads or know in what direction it would be best for us to investigate in? I'm new to the island.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Listen - (1d20+6)[19]
    SenseMotive1 - (1d20+20)[35]
    SenseMotive2 - (1d20+20)[39]
    Yessssss......tell me what you are hiding....yes....!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  21. - Top - End - #21

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    @Toliudar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Architecture would cover figuring out the collapse.


    @Skill checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mead's Listen doesn't pick out anything.

    Denaru: Listen picks up the same phrase from a different knight. "...zombie dragons... What's next?"

    Sense Motive reveals that first, he's not sure that the collaborator is outside of the town.

    You also get the impression that he is deliberately omitting information.


    The response, "Leads? They'd need to be fairly nearby, within a couple miles or so. Also, they'd likely want a good view of the eastern sky. The shoreline to the east is dotted with coastal caves. That'd be the most obvious place, outside of a second floor room at the inn."
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-05-03 at 12:23 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Denaru

    I suggest we explore here as much as possible, maybe talk to anyone who saw the events, and then check out the cliffs. Do you agree?

    Phoenix:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Before the party takes leave, Denaru flags the commander away from the others a second. In a low, stern voice, he says: I sense a hesitance inside of you. I assure you, the Tormtar are NOT your enemy here. Lives have been lost. Innocent lives. If you know ANYTHING that would help, I implore you to divest it. Harboring information will only lead to a greater loss of life. You do NOT want to have that blood on your hand, and neither do I.

    Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[19]


    Saph/Phoenix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Denaru takes a moment to weave a dweomer over himself and Ignis, boosting their resiliance. Greater Resistance for the next 24 hours on both characters. A Shield Other will come soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Mead

    The gnome looks up from her sifting of the rubble.

    "I'd be interested in following up on this with you, if you'll have me."
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  24. - Top - End - #24

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    @Denaru:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To which the guard answers back, also quietly, "There are three reasons I'm not telling you everything. First? I'm a bit busy. Second? If the collaborator IS in the town, then they know more than others. Keeping something back allows us to know when someone says something they shouldn't know. And third? I don't know you. If you want my confidence, show yourself deserving of it.

    As for the rest, you're welcome to check the town, and inspect the cliff face.
    "


    Concerning buffs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Noted.

    For all: Let me know when you buff, who is being buffed, and duration of that buff. If special class features are used (e.g. Share Spell, etc), let me know.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Saph's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England.

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Ignis

    Ignis keeps a watchful eye over the conversation between Denaru and the commander, but doesn't cut in. As Denaru casts his spell he nods. "Thanks. I agree, it's worth investigating. Let's make sure we're ready for any trouble." He takes out a rod and casts a pair of spells before starting what looks like a set of exercises.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shift into Mystic Phoenix Stance.
    Take out Lesser Rod Extend.
    Cast Greater Mighty Wallop on flail.
    Cast Greater Mage Armour.
    After that, start on readying my maneuvers for the day. It takes five minutes.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #4 in the series, Chosen, is out as of September 2013. For updates, check my blog!

  26. - Top - End - #26

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    @All :
    Spoiler
    Show
    The robed in the area has been summoning an Avoral once a round, every round, since you woke up.

    Avorals in the area are available for healing. Each PC may avail themselves of up to 66 HP worth of healing (which will remove an equivalent amount of nonlethal damage).

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Saph's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London, England.

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Ignis

    Ignis will take the healing, thank the Avoral in question, and get back to working on his buffs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Five minutes for maneuvers, then 10 minutes to cast Create Magic Tattoo, extended via rod. After that I'm ready to go.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #4 in the series, Chosen, is out as of September 2013. For updates, check my blog!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Mead will pause in her search of the ruins of the inn to avail herself of the healing. While being healed, she establishes the basic protection she uses every day.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mead will happily take healing from an avoral. She casts mage armour on herself.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  29. - Top - End - #29

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Concerning Townspeople:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What is the overall goal here? Are we talking generalized information gathering? Are you looking for something more specific?

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned
     
    Superglucose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Black Flight [3.5] Game Thread

    Solares will gratefully take the healing, graciously thank the avoral, and then turn to Denaru. It might be best if I checked out the cliffs now. I can be there and back very shortly, and see if anything is out of the ordinary.

    With that, Solares will cast Longstrider on himself and then he'll Wildshape into an eagle and take off, heading towards the cliffs. On my way I'll make a spot check for anything out of the ordinary. (1d20+27)[34]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •