New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Cleric was turned into a Vampire..

Quote Originally Posted by Le-vante View Post
    My Good aligned cleric was turned into a Vampire! I am a little unsure about what will happen to him and so is my DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    It's now necessary to put ranks in Craft (Emo poetry), and hide (dignity).
    Heehee. Can I (Extended) sig that?

On your question, I'd say that if your DM isn't sure, you can play the Angel side. Just... if he ever says that you sparkle, drink his blood in a silver goblet.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Yes! validation of my existence!

Go for it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't there a PrC specifically for dealing with stuff like this? I think it's called Emacipated Spawn. Might be in Savage Species, but I'm not sure.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

OP: This might help you and your DM clarify things - the following is a direct excerpt from the EbCS on Alignment (pg 8)

"Alignments are relative gauges of a character or creature’s viewpoint, and not absolute barometers of affiliation and action; nothing is exactly as it seems. Alignments are blurred, so that it’s possible to encounter an evil silver dragon or a good vampire."

Which IMO trumps any other source book on the matter. Basically if you read the intro bit in the Eberron Campaign Setting you'll see that they have taken some liberty with the general rules "bending" them as they see fit for this particular campaign setting.
    Gerdy in Who wants to Live Forever?
    Randolf Grennal in The Secret of Trottelburg
    Tristan Islodod in Eberron Noir

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

So basicaly are party is Fbar. Any thoughts on how to escape the vamps mind rape?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ah I see! So with that knowledge in play would the transformation incur evil alignment? Simply changing it willy nilly.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

As the main role of the cleric for this group has been summed up as "the heal bot" lossing heal spells for harm makes no diffrence for the game plan as negative energy will heal a vampire and his role is there ion unchanged. although some domain spells are lost it is more than compensated for with the advancements for becoming a vampire
    In ebberron it is possible for undead to be created with positive energy and to have a good alignment but these creatures are found in the elven undying court and are created through special ritual or sacrifice in death of the elf in question so it it not applicable.
    Although the campaign setting says that you can find a good alligned vampire the amount of energy involved in the turrning process makes this unlikely for a freshly turned vampire but that is not to say the character cannot strive to regain the good allignment through his or her actions there after.
    The vampire that turned the group still exists but has not yet told the group why they have been turned or for what purpose of yet as the session ended just as they woke to undeath.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Again it is entirely DM disgression; but as an experienced Eberron DM I would rule that the alignment shift would be considered fluff/preference of the PC.

Meaning that if the PC's were interested in shifting to evil and all that entailed this would be a perfect option for it to happen.

If the PC's were not interested in switching alignment I might challenge them with some sort of RP session to "fight" against their internal darkness. If they win this "internal" battle they remain their alignment - or if they come close they might shift to something in-between (just like other posters above me mentioned).

Again - talk to your fellow players (i.e. what do they want) and talk to your DM about what you as players want to do.

My 2cp.
    Gerdy in Who wants to Live Forever?
    Randolf Grennal in The Secret of Trottelburg
    Tristan Islodod in Eberron Noir

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

So say masive evil red dragon flies to bastion of broken souls and bathes in positive energies to keep him alive his alignment would change? Because of the amount of positive energy used in the process? Or some one has there negitive levels restored useing the restoration spell they be one good aligned? It seems a very grey area.

To be honest I Reading the vampire templates and vampire page in the MM my character doesn't even quilify for a true vampire as you need 5Hd and the entire group is lvl 4. in which case chaosincarnet it's dms folly and were spaw. (not that it makes things any easier).

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    What's your source on this? As far as I can tell, there's no mechanical penalties for not drinking blood, and as undead, vampires explicitly don't need to eat. I think we may be applying fluff as if it were crunch here.
    There are mechanical penalties. They are in Libris Mortis

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinMartian View Post
    OP: This might help you and your DM clarify things - the following is a direct excerpt from the EbCS on Alignment (pg 8)

"Alignments are relative gauges of a character or creature’s viewpoint, and not absolute barometers of affiliation and action; nothing is exactly as it seems. Alignments are blurred, so that it’s possible to encounter an evil silver dragon or a good vampire."

Which IMO trumps any other source book on the matter. Basically if you read the intro bit in the Eberron Campaign Setting you'll see that they have taken some liberty with the general rules "bending" them as they see fit for this particular campaign setting.
    other sources never said you couldn't encounter a good vampire... merely that the process of becoming one turned you evil, after which you MAY turn good again.
    Of course, this relies on two things:
    1. the vampire entry says its always evil
    2. the monster manual says that an acquired template of always evil is one for which the transformation changes your alignment, afterwards the alignment may change back...

the thing is, the eberron setting contradicts point 1. but point 1 was never EXACTLY in effect anyways because "always evil" meant "always become evil when first transform and may change alignment later".

Hence why it is really up to the DM / players. (well, it always was up to them anyways).

As for drinking blood, I am pretty sure there is a ring that makes you immune to sunlight AND never need to actually drink blood. (like a ring of sustenance + sunlight protection for vampires). just toss away your ring of sustenance and get one of those instead.

Also, I am totally uncertain on whether animal blood will suffice or not. An interesting twist would be if animal blood DOES suffice.. because that means that vampires are being hunted down like monsters, yet they eat animals just like humans do (a human may choose to eat other humans)... then you will really need to take craft (emo poetry) :P
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-05-04 at 11:00 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    What's your source on this? As far as I can tell, there's no mechanical penalties for not drinking blood, and as undead, vampires explicitly don't need to eat. I think we may be applying fluff as if it were crunch here.
    Nearly every vampire mythos feeding is a requirement, do they really have to spell it out beyond calling them predators in the MM. D&D follows the very straight forward classical vampire myths so yeah they need to feed. And as already mentioned Librus Mortis classifies which undead are diet dependent and which simply have inescapable cravings.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

So vampire clerics do suck.

14. - Top - End - #44

So vampires do suck.
    I fixed your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGuy

A vampire can control only a limited number of other vampires, it could well be that your character (and rest of the party) are beyond the control limit, and are therefore "free" vampires.
    LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Here are my questions;

1) Will his alignment change too evil?
    2) Will he loose the ability to cast Cure spells spontaniously?
    3) If he remains Good aligned wouldn't he just try and kill himself?
    Really it's up to your DM. Here is my preferred ruling based on my play style.

1) No, unless he is a thrall of the vampire who bit him. If he's a thrall he's an NPC until unthralled. If he has free will he can choose to be good, though if he feeds from unwilling victims he just turned evil.

2) If he is a thrall then yes. His god would not allow his curing powers to be subverted in that way. If he has free will then no, not unless he stops being Good. I would rule that for every Cure spell he casts though, he takes damage equal to the amount of healing he did to the subject (since positive energy damages hi, and he's channeling it through himself).

3) That's up to him. If he can envision a way to be cured, or to live as a vampire without feeding on unwilling victims, then he could be Good and continue his life (unlife). If there is no hope for him to be anything but a danger to those around him then he might nobly kill himself, or chicken out and become Evil.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

17. - Top - End - #47
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

My Good aligned cleric was turned into a Vampire! I am a little unsure about what will happen to him and so is my DM.

Here are my questions;

1) Will his alignment change too evil?
    2) Will he loose the ability to cast Cure spells spontaniously?
    3) If he remains Good aligned wouldn't he just try and kill himself?

Many thanks.
    1) Generally, yes. Vampires are Always evil (any), meaning that without some sort of major intervention, and given vampire will be evil. Of course, this can also be a story-thing. If you don't WANT your character to be evil, you're perfectly free to talk to your DM and come up with why he's not. Maybe his faith was so strong that he resisted that. Maybe he IS evil, but is constantly struggling to be good... meaning you'll do evil and be sincerely remorseful, constantly whinging about your tortured nature, etc. Maybe the vampire messed up somehow.

2) Again, generally, yes. Clerics who are evil cast inflict spontaneously. You are evil. QED. However, it goes back to story. If you're struggling to be good, and your deity (or whatever is answering his calls) wants you to remain good, he might let you keep casting cure spells.

3) Maybe, maybe not. qv Angel and Spike. Both were "good" vampires. Angel mucked about for a century, whinging, before he decides to use his power for good. He lives off non-human blood, and only occasionally falls of the wagon. Spike remains a jerk, but he works for good. Again, lives primarily off animal blood.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

That's great but this is Eberron gods are detached from the world so you can have a cleric go against his church and not suffer any losses. Which poses yet another question! When it says "Vampire clerics gain ACCESS to the following domains" does that mean I have to take them and lose my previouse? Or I just have access?

19. - Top - End - #49

Goblin

So vampire clerics do suck.
    Yes. Blood.

I hope that wasn't what you were implying, or I'll be feeling silly

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

That's great but this is Eberron gods are detached from the world so you can have a cleric go against his church and not suffer any losses. Which poses yet another question! When it says "Vampire clerics gain ACCESS to the following domains" does that mean I have to take them and lose my previouse? Or I just have access?
    Those vampire domain rules assume standard D&D cosmology of deities its probably best to ignore in Eberron.

On another note rising as a vampire takes a few days[1d4 after burial].
    Why didn't your party take measurements to insure you didn't rise from your grave?

I still say it be easier to kill yourself and get resurrected then trying to deal with all the vampiric complications.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

We blunder in blindly and Rely on pure warrior instinct...