Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Warsmith and Runeforger PrCs

Warsmith

Hit Die: d8

Requirements

Race: Dwarf
    Base Attack Bonus: +5
    Skills: Craft (Blacksmith) 8 ranks
    Feats: Armor Proficiency (heavy), Weapon Proficiency (warhammer)

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per Day
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Tempered Strength, Secrets of Iron|---
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Stoke the Flames, Forged Flesh +1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Strike the Anvil|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Forge the Way, Forged Flesh +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Forged in Battle|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Tempered Strength (Ex): When wielding a warhammer in one hand and nothing in the other, the Warsmith may treat it as if she were using it in two hands. If she chooses not to or is using a shield in her off hand, she may instead add her Wisdom bonus to the damage dealt by the weapon.

Secrets of Iron (Ex): The Warsmith receives Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the requirements. If she already has that feat, she may instead choose another crafting feat that she meets the prerequisites for. As well, for the purposes of crafting magic items, the Warsmith's caster level treated as being a number of levels higher equal to her class level. If she has no caster levels normally, she is instead treated as having a number of caster levels equal to her class level times 3.

Stoke the Flames (Ex): At 2nd level, the Warsmith becomes immune to non-lethal damage caused by heat or cold effects.

Forged Flesh (Ex): At 2nd level, when wearing armor that she crafted herself, the Warsmith gains a +1 sacred bonus to AC, reduced the check penalty by 2, and increases the maximum dexterity bonus by 1. At level 4, these bonuses increase to 2, 3, and 2, respectively, and the Warsmith no longer suffers any penalty for sleeping in her armor.

Strike the Anvil (Ex): At 3rd level, when using a weapon that she crafted herself, the Warsmith may ignore an amount of damage reduction of any kind equal to her wisdom bonus when attacking with that weapon.

Forge the Way (Ex): At 4th level, the Warsmith can no longer become exhausted. She can still be fatigued as normal, and any effect that would cause her to become exhausted instead causes her to becomes fatigued.

Forged in Battle (Ex): At 5th level, while wielding a weapon or wearing armor that she crafted herself, the Warsmith can treat those items as if they had an enhancement bonus equal to her character level divided by four (rounded down, max 5) for all purposes. As well, the Battlesmith can ignore any arcane spell failure chance caused by armor or shields that she crafted herself.

Spells Known: At levels 2, 3, 4, and 5, the Battlesmith gains spells progression as if she had gained a level in one spellcasting class she has levels in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runeforger

Hit Die: d6

Requirements

Race: Dwarf
    Skills: Craft (stonecarving) 8 ranks
    Feats: Scribe Scroll.
    Spells: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells.

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per Day
    1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|Runecarving Expertise|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Carve Rune|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|Skilled Runecrafting|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Inscribe Rune|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|Permanent Rune|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Runecarving Expertise (Ex): The Runeforger gains the Craft Magic Circle feat, even if he does not meet the requirements. As well, whenever he makes a skill check involving runes, he gains an insight bonus equal to his class level for that check.

Carve Rune (Ex): At level 2, the Runeforger may carve special runes onto a shield, weapon, or suit of armor, allowing the wearer to use the spell stored within. Only one rune may be placed on each piece of equipment, and the Runeforger can only have a number of these runes carved equal to his constitution modifier (minimum 1) at any given time. Any requirements to cast the spell must be present when the rune is carved, and the carving takes 5 minutes or the spell's casting time, whichever is longer.

Activating the spell stored in the rune is an immediate action, and is exactly as powerful as if the Runeforger had cast the spell himself when he carved it, but the specifics of the spell (such as it's target) are chosen by the wearer. A carved rune uses up a spell slot of the stored spell's level + 2 for as long as the rune is active. After the rune is activated, reclaimed, or the equipment is destroyed, the spell slot is treated as if the Runeforger had just cast from it, and can be re-used after rest as normal.

Skilled Runecrafting (Ex): At 3rd level, the Runesmith becomes especially skilled at creating rune circles, allowing him to create them with only a fraction of the work and resources. Crafting a rune circle takes 1 hour per 1000 gp in it's base price, resources equal to 1/4 of the base price, and XP equal to 1/50 of base price.

Inscribe Rune (Ex): At 4th level, the Runeforger gains the ability to carve permanent runes into any hard surface, causing the spell associated with that rune to be treated as if the Runeforger had cast the Permanency spell with it. Carving such a rune requires a DC 10 + caster level + spell level Craft (runecarving) check, and takes 5 minutes or the casting time of the spell, whichever is longer. Refer to the Permanency spell in regards to the specific spells that may be made permanent and their effects.

Inscribing a rune uses various materials such as expensive metals and gems costing an amount equal to 5 times the normal XP cost of making that spell permanent, but costs no XP itself. You must meet the same caster level requirement as that specified by the Permanency spell.

Permanent Rune (Ex): At level 5, the Runeforger gains the ability to carve a single rune into his skin, allowing him to use the spell stored within it at-will. To carve such a rune, he must permanently sacrifice a spell slot 4 levels higher than the spell to be scribed, and spend 24 hours of uninterrupted work carving the rune into his flesh. If the spell has any costly material components, he must spend resources equal to 20 times the material cost of the components. If the spell requires a costly focus, he must expend resources equal to the cost of the focus. Spells with an XP cost cannot be carved into a permanent rune.

The Runforger can use any metamagic feats he possesses to modify the spell being carved, sacrificing a higher level spell slot as appropriate. However, he cannot use any metamagic rods or similar items to apply metamagic to the spell without increasing it's level, though he can use those when he casts the spell, subject to the normal limit on daily usage of the item.

Removing the rune takes only 1 hour, but doing so causes constitution damage equal to the spell slot sacrificed. The Runeforger cannot carve another rune into his flesh until a week after this damage has been healed.

Spells Known: At each level, the Runeforger gains spells progression as if he had gained a level in one spellcasting class he has levels in.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-05-13 at 01:28 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Warsmith and Runeforger PrCs

Changed the list of minor edits for previous classes into two full writeups for new PrCs. I'm still looking for any balance problems these have, as well as bad wordings or potential abuse. I should note that the game these are meant for are largely core-only, with anything else needing to be approved before it comes in.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, interesting. Warhammer based?

If she has no caster levels normally, she is instead treated as having a number of caster levels equal to her class level times 3.
    At levels 2, 3, 4, and 5, the Battlesmith gains spells progression as if he had gained a level in one spellcasting class he has levels in.
    One of those shouldn't be there. Either that, or say that 'if they had no spellcasting levels, they instead gain caster levels as a ____ (i'd guess Wizard, from core, but cleric might be better... go cleric.)

Also, why do you have Spellcasting written up in the first class but not the second?

I don't know about balance, but I seem to remember cheap items are a problem... but I could be utterly misremembering.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Warsmith doesn't acualy require any spellcasting to enter, so both are well in place.

Tempered strength might need a rewording. Is it meant to make Hammer + Shield a stronger option? If so, it currently doesn't allow it. The second option looks aimed at boosting Two-Hammer fighting.

The runeforger looks like an unarmored variant of the Runesmith in Races of Stone. Also, using the Carved Rune destroys the equipment in which it was inscribed? That sounds... Pointless, people will just inscribe rocks I suppose. Just make it erase the rune.

All in all, both very dwarfsome.

Skills are missing to both.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Also, using the Carved Rune destroys the equipment in which it was inscribed? That sounds... Pointless, people will just inscribe rocks I suppose. Just make it erase the rune.
    Methinks that it only appears that way through a tragic diction error. I believe that particular sentence is meant to be read 'After < condition>, <condition>, <condition>, the runeforger <results>.' In other words:

"After the rune is activated, reclaimed, or the equipment is destroyed, the spell slot is treated as if the Runeforger had just cast from it, and can be re-used after rest as normal.".

Anyhow, to me it seems that having runes take up [higher-level] spell slots defeats the purpose of runescribing. Why wouldn't I just prepare the spell normally? Sure, it's an immediate action now, but it seems like less mileage than would be desired. On the other side, eschewing all material components (including costly ones) seems rather overpowered.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Okay, interesting. Warhammer based?

One of those shouldn't be there. Either that, or say that 'if they had no spellcasting levels, they instead gain caster levels as a ____ (i'd guess Wizard, from core, but cleric might be better... go cleric.)

Also, why do you have Spellcasting written up in the first class but not the second?

I don't know about balance, but I seem to remember cheap items are a problem... but I could be utterly misremembering.
    Actually, races of stone based. I bet you can never guess which classes I stole borrowed got inspiration from.

The "if you have no spellcasting levels" clause is there so that this class is viable both for a non-magical character that wants to create magical items, and for a spellcaster that wants to be able to fight and maybe be a bit better at creating said items. This is also why the capstone has something better for non-magical fighters (free +5) and something better for gishes. (no ASF)

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The Warsmith doesn't acualy require any spellcasting to enter, so both are well in place.

Tempered strength might need a rewording. Is it meant to make Hammer + Shield a stronger option? If so, it currently doesn't allow it. The second option looks aimed at boosting Two-Hammer fighting.

The runeforger looks like an unarmored variant of the Runesmith in Races of Stone. Also, using the Carved Rune destroys the equipment in which it was inscribed? That sounds... Pointless, people will just inscribe rocks I suppose. Just make it erase the rune.

All in all, both very dwarfsome.

Skills are missing to both.
    Hm, did a little bit of re-wording on Tempered Strength, but it probably needs more work still. It's meant to make using just a single warhammer and no other weapon or shield an option, basically letting you treat it like you were two-handing the weapon while leaving your off-hand open to do other stuff like grab people or cast spells or whatever. It's more of a flavor thing though, since it's essentially replicated by just using a maul.

It's also meant to make warhammer+shield more viable, by letting you add wisdom, though making DW warhammers more viable doesn't hurt either. Hammer+shield is probably a better option for a caster coming in to this, since they don't have as much BaB to abuse PA with the 2-handing and most of their offense will probably comes from spells anyways, so the protection of the shield is more valuable, especially once you get the capstone. Whereas the pseudo two-hand option is better for a fighter coming into the class, since they have the high BaB to use with PA and aren't as worried about being a squishy caster.

But most importantly, it's about the flavor of the blacksmith using his hammer in a fight the same way he does when he's making weapons, laying about with the warhammer in one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Spades View Post
    Methinks that it only appears that way through a tragic diction error. I believe that particular sentence is meant to be read 'After < condition>, <condition>, <condition>, the runeforger <results>.' In other words:

"After the rune is activated, reclaimed, or the equipment is destroyed, the spell slot is treated as if the Runeforger had just cast from it, and can be re-used after rest as normal.".

Anyhow, to me it seems that having runes take up [higher-level] spell slots defeats the purpose of runescribing. Why wouldn't I just prepare the spell normally? Sure, it's an immediate action now, but it seems like less mileage than would be desired. On the other side, eschewing all material components (including costly ones) seems rather overpowered.
    Yes, thank you, that is what it was supposed to mean. Carving the rune will never destroy the equipment itself, that clause was just to note that if the equipment is destroyed, the rune is as well, so it returns to the Runeforger.

As for carved runes take up a higher level, that's because it essentially replicates quickened spellcasting, and also lets one of your allies do the activating as well. You'll probably want to carve runes mostly into your allies equipment, unless you don't have the quickened spellcasting feat for whatever reason or the spell you want quickened is too high level for you to prepare quickened normally.