New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

Just what it says.

I read a lot of RPG books, I know a lot of settings. There are wartorn settings, monster infested settings, grimdark, post-apocalyptic, real-world but with monsters, all sorts of settings. It's pretty obvious why they're all horrible places to live; because PCs in general like killing things.

http://johntynes.com/revland2000/rl_powerkill.html

Can you think of any RPG settings that are actually nice? Somewhere where you, the person posting on this forum, would actually like to live?

(I'm hoping people won't be using caveats like "well, if you're a member of the slave owning upper caste, then X is a nice place for you")

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

Amber. Live forever by the sea in the one true world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Understandably, my Friday Night World, which is FR + Waterworld

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sigil for the win!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    Amber. Live forever by the sea in the one true world.
    Haven't read it. Guess I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Juan View Post
    Understandably, my Friday Night World, which is FR + Waterworld
    Is that a homebrew setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Sigil for the win!
    Sigil has it's charms from what I've read, and I admit I haven't read much of it, but doesn't Sigil have tiefling muggers, the possibility of accidentally walking into the negative energy plane, and a tyrant who can and will kill you if you cross her in any way? (Or touch her shadow?)
    Fun for a PC, not fun for an ordinary person. Or have I been misinformed?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

yes it is a homebrew setting, taking from mostly FR and Stormwrack, with dips (Feats and classes) of Eberron

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planescape, definetly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    Good thing I didn't post my somewhat snarky response, it'd be a spoiler. :)

Read the first five books. Read the second five accepting they aren't as good.

It's my choice of RPG setting to be the real world, too.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spelljammer, cause everything is better in space!
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

10. - Top - End - #10

1st age from Exalted. Not only was it essentially a paradise but it had all sorts of awesomesauce technology. Plus there'd be a small chance I'd become an exalt (since any normal human has a chance.)

That's assuming we're being realistic, and I can't use game knowledge to become a 20th level wizard in 4 months in D&D (sure all the settings in D&D basically suck to live in as a normal person...but as a 20th level wizard...)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Freedom City!

Your odds of dying due to anything that does not exist in the real world are pretty low, and due to the superheroes flying around, your odds of dying due to anything that does exist in the real world are lowered too.

Plus, if you have enough money and / or luck, you get to be a superhero.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

12. - Top - End - #12

Eberron is fraught with peril, but on the other hand it's pretty awesome. I would live there.

And Planescape, just in the hopes that I get to live in one of the Good-aligned planes or at least a nice part of the Neutral-aligned planes or failing that the layer of the Abyss where Malcanthet lives because my existence there would be incredibly brief but even more enjoyable.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    1st age from Exalted. Not only was it essentially a paradise but it had all sorts of awesomesauce technology. Plus there'd be a small chance I'd become an exalt (since any normal human has a chance.)
    That's a decent one, and it also illustrates the reasons why almost all of the other entries on this page are so violent and horrible (although often cool or interesting at the same time). The First Age of Creation is long dead by the Time of Tumults, the time in which almost every game of Exalted starts. It's allowed to be a nice setting, because it doesn't need to act as a source of entertainment for roving squads of superpowered murderers (player characters, especially the nice ones).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

It's allowed to be a nice setting, because it doesn't need to act as a source of entertainment for roving squads of superpowered murderers (player characters, especially the nice ones).
    I prefer the phrase "Murderous, heavily armed, hobos with access to nigh deific power."

Though this is why I would pick someplace like ebberon, where their are schools to teach how to be a murderous, heavily armed, hobo with access to nigh deific power. And people to hire you after you graduate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    I thought about this one too. There are two problems:
    First off, if you're unlucky, you will be one of many ended up as a labrat or forged to soulsteel or somthing else not so nice the exalted of that age was doing

Secondly, you are an immortal soul and will eventually have to face the more grim times of the exalted timeline, possibly ending in some kind of hell or just... nothing.

I'm thinking Eberron too. It might not be so nice in life but it's kinda easy to get to the pretty neat afterlife of the good alightments.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaakar View Post
    I'm thinking Eberron too. It might not be so nice in life but it's kinda easy to get to the pretty neat afterlife of the good alightments.
    I thought there was only one afterlife in ebberon, and it was horrible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

DO NOT read the very-well-written-but-spoiler-containing RPG until you have read the excellent fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. Certainly in the top 10 fantasy series of all time IMO.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaakar View Post
    Secondly, you are an immortal soul and will eventually have to face the more grim times of the exalted timeline, possibly ending in some kind of hell or just... nothing.
    Your soul may reincarnate, but your memories are finite. When you die, unless you become a ghost, that's where you end. Your next reincarnation will have nothing that belongs to you.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    Eberron is fraught with peril, but on the other hand it's pretty awesome. I would live there.
    This. Totally, without a doubt, this.

Preferably as an ordinary, level-1-or-2 magewright in a middle-class section of Sharn or Korranberg.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

It's not released yet but I'd love to live in the Freemarket setting.

It's a society where you don't age, have needs, everything is taken care of for you by the computer. It's the anti-paranoia setting.

If you want a coffee you simply find a member of a group that makes coffee and they'll give it to you. They appreciate the "good feedback" you can leave which enables them to have more resources allocated to their group.

I hear the whole game works on this create-reward cycle.

Your memories can be stolen. That's a big downside. But the thief would need to act pleasantly or secretively as you can leave him bad feedback.

You can be voted out of the society by taking part in antisocial behaviour, the negative feedback you'd get would put you at risk. You can also leave anytime you want. But you can never return.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I prefer the phrase "Murderous, heavily armed, hobos with access to nigh deific power."
    What do you mean nigh deific power? These are Exalted you're talking about, they are above mere gods. There's a whole bunch of gods who are only Essence 2 for crying out loud.
    Seriously, if you go through a campaign with beating up a couple of gods and taking their stuff, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

mage the ascension all the benefits of the real world with all the fun of a mage

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    What do you mean nigh deific power? These are Exalted you're talking about, they are above mere gods. There's a whole bunch of gods who are only Essence 2 for crying out loud.
    Seriously, if you go through a campaign with beating up a couple of gods and taking their stuff, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.
    I think he's referring to D&D settings, where the PCs are, well, murderous heavily armed hobos with access to nigh deific power.
    I use black for sarcasm.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    Never played exalted, in fact the phrase is a quote referring to Dungeons and dragons adventurers tendencies towards being... well, not all that pleasant.

EDIT: ninja'd

though that is one thing I always found amusing, how many games have you been in where any-one looked you over twice while you were sitting on a cart full of various dangerous substances and weapons, As well as caged monsters if your careful.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-05-06 at 04:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, a good few votes for Eberron, then? I liked Sharn, City of Towers. If it were a travel brochure, (and if you think about it, setting books kinda are travel brochures,) it would be sending some serious mixed messages. The cover says "Come to Sharn! We've got flying Gnolls to murder!", but the first two chapters say "Come to Sharn! We've got magical restaurants and prostitutes!". (The prostitutes are probably also magical.) Then it gets into how to be a backstabbing politician, a player in the criminal underworld or a member of a superhobo club. And then come the feats.

I'm not saying RPGs should be all restaurant and no flying gnolls, but I am saying that RPGs could be a lot better at escapist fantasy if they made a little more effort to make things livable for the players, even if the player characters we make are nothing like us.

26. - Top - End - #26

In all honesty, I think that most of Faerun would be a decent place to live. Safety and freedom in most places, lots of useful spells and herbs - sounds pretty alright to me.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Mind if I sig?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mind if I sig?
    Do I mind if you compliment something I wrote? Heck no.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

How about "reality" but without vigilante laws?
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to do something different and say. Exalted in the Time of Tumult sure there's a boatload of thing that could kill me without breaking a sweat but unless your one of the Exalted it's unlikely you'll encounter any of them(except maybe Dragonbloods and minor Gods and Elementals but they tend not to kill random peasants) you don't have to worry about 300 insane God-Kings using you for experiment or Soulsteel. And if you live in the Realm life will be free of Shadowlands, Anathema(save Sidereals), and many other Dangers of the Setting. At least until Civil War breaks out.