Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I do wonder if anyone've said Spelljammer yet?

Why pick one when you can pick them all!

and a bonus with Space Pirates!
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Mortals couldn't reach the very top of whatever they pursued in the first age, Tengu, but in most places they could experience a great deal of freedom to pursue their lives and train their skills. So while no mortal would win the first age equivalent of the Nobel prize, they could still become respected, tenured scientists for example.

And Sanguine, even if the monsters are as rare as you think, they are very capable of causing humans significant harm. Also humans are very capable of it, especially in a setting as poor and riddled by warfare as Creation is. It is not like you can live in peace unless monsters show up.
    Yes they are capable of causing Humans significant harm and yes my numbers were probably way off. But I stand to my point that unless you live somewhere with a large quantity of Supernatural beings(The Realm, Lookshy, Halta, Great Forks, a Wyld Tainted Area, A Shadowland, and possibly others I'm not remembering) the average(non-heroic) person is unlikely to encounter many of them aside from local deities and elementals who as long as you show proper reverence to are unlikely to cause you harm and if you are Heroic well hopefully you will Exalt. And sure there is Warfare but there are lots of places where War is rare if not unheard of and there is War in the real world too and Humanities violent side is a given in any setting really except maybe Witch Girls Adventures(I think that's the name) of course it can show up even there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Yeah, but you still won't be able to achieve the same as Exalted no matter how hard you try, and the law treats you differently from them. You're a second-rate citizen. Life in the First Age might be good by Second Age standards, or the standards of many other fantasy settings, but it's still worse than life in a modern, developed country.
    Now if you are ambitious enough to try and compete with the Exalted of the First Age I'd say that puts you as a prime candidate for Exaltation yourself. And true you are Second-Rate citizen but you can improve your lot in life: If you don't mind your lot and are willing to endure it for Safety that's your choice. If not be a Hero you might not Exalt but you can live your life how you choose(it might get you executed or killed in some other manner but you can do it) and even if you don't Exalt you might receive an Endowment and become a God-Blood.

I will concede this point though. How nice the First Age was really depends on how much the Great Curse has evolved if were talking right before the Usurpation I'd agree with you it's a horrible place to live.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I'm talking about a setting where people who enjoy reading and peaceful afternoons (which I imagine is a pre-requisite for enjoying role-playing games) could enjoy. Because with a very few exceptions, it seems to me that the worlds we enjoy ourselves in via RPGs would be horrible places to live.
    Hence the reason I chose Silverymoon in Faerun. It covers both angles; pleasant, idyllic, peaceful, and yet opportunity to venture forth and really stick your foot in it.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shadowrun: but only if I could be a badass mana slinger or street sammy. Not some wageslave, I get enough of that in this world.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
    Shadowrun: but only if I could be a badass mana slinger or street sammy. Not some wageslave, I get enough of that in this world.
    So, not Shadowrun then.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
    Ya but could you really let them do that Cybernetic stuff on your body? Just thinking about things like wired reflexes, and dermal impants. It just makes we quezzy all over.

I would love to be a bad ass Physical Adapt though. Now that is the ticket.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd go for Faerun. Much nicer than say, Shadowrun, and has the classic fantasy trappings. Plus, there are a lot high-level heroes running cities and such. Silverymoon would be ideal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

In order of preference:

It's unfortunate that Ian Bank's Culture novels don't yet have an associated RPG. I'm sure someone has baked up a homebrew for it, though. So there, if at all possible.

Next best choice would be Star Trek (as already stated by many). Despite the inimical nature of the local physics engine and the fact that the vast majority of sentient life in the universe is out to kill you, it's probably the next best place to live as Joe Average - especially if you've got any real technical skill at all.

After that, either Shadowrun or Cyberpunk. While both are dystopian futures full of corporate crime and murder, honestly neither one seems to be significantly worse than the current day.

After that, any superhero setting (although Aberrant is last on that list, honestly).

Then most other sci-fi settings.

Then d20 modern.

Then most fantasy settings.

Then D&D (yes, D&D is worse than most other fantasy settings).

Then anything ever written by whitewolf.

Almost at the end, anything written by Games Workshop.

At the very end, my pick for absolutely the most horrifying and unbearable world to live in: FATAL.

Please note that this is not an opinion on the quality of the works involve. I happen to like several Whitewolf products, as well as WH40K. I just really wouldn't want to live there. Even if I HAD super powers.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

To Agent_0042, who linked a homebrewed post-apocalyptic setting, I submit The Day After Ragnarok Savage Worlds campaign setting for you.

I would like to give the Necessary Evil Savage Worlds campaign setting a try. It's where you get to play a supervillain in order to save the world from an alien invasion because all the superheroes are dead.

Now, what super powers would I have? Hmmm ... that could be a whole different thread.

Dizlag

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tippyverse, Exalted Golden Age prior to the great curse setting in

Thats assuming I'm a random mortal. Assuming greatness there are few I would skip.

A huckster in deadlands could be amusing, provided I'm good at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    maybe Witch Girls Adventures(I think that's the name) of course it can show up even there
    I'm the creator of "Witch Girls Adventures" and as cool a game as it is, I know it can be a very dangerous place if you're a normal person... really dangerous if you're a normal person who knows about the magical world.

That said It beats a lot of other places for average joes and janes.

I would hate staying in a fantasy setting without indor plumbing.
    White wolf universe is out...We know how their world ends.

Star Trek would be ok if not for all the other aliens out to get you or the random wacky space mishaps.

Star Wars after the fall of the empire might be good say if you can just get a jib as a park ranger on Endor..Sure there are Ewoks but they make good neighbors.

The World of Robotech is a warzone for three generations...pass

Super Hero worlds can be cool if you have a nice one to stay in. My vote is the Marvel Universe. Just don't live in New York or any place the Hulk might visit....and stay away from those mutants...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xbuilder View Post
    Star Wars after the fall of the empire might be good say if you can just get a jib as a park ranger on Endor..Sure there are Ewoks but they make good neighbors.
    First if we all got thrown into Star-wars my first order of business would be to get an audience with the Emperor and quickly inform him of everything I know on the rebels thereby simultaneously crushing the other PCs and solidifying my position as the sole PC in existence, and earning my way into the Imperial Academy of Awesomeness.
    (You know how good it looks in the Imperial ivy league if the Emperor himself is vouching for you?) Then I would loyally serve the empire.
    Stomping out any signs of rebellion with enthusiasm enough to impress the Emperor into making me into the first shadow-trooper-droid-person-thing.

Second there are other things on Endor than Ewoks.... Why do you think the Ewoks live up so high?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    At the very end, my pick for absolutely the most horrifying and unbearable world to live in: FATAL.
    FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist. Or a male gang rapist. Or a racist gang rapist. Or a male sociopath. Or.....

Well you get the picture.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post
    FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist.

According to fatal's logic, thats almost all human males in existence
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    According to fatal's logic, thats almost all human males in existence
    Which from what I understand is zero seeing as the only point in playing fatal is to get to the part where you kill everything everywhere, Thus forcing your Sadistic Gm to throw the book away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    You know you could join a revolution, get a job with a drug cartel, start freeing slaves, or otherwise put your life in danger right now?
    Ironically I'm currently saving up my $ to be able to go to do nonprofit work in Latin America. Not that nonprofit work is the same as swords or guns, but the areas I'm going to aren't exactly safe. Adventure is awesome. Live a little, guys! If there was a door to Greyhawk or Dark Sun I'd grab a backpack of camping goods, a hatchet and a sword and dive in. And a lot of metal if it's Dark Sun :)

Ravenloft might be a tougher choice but I bet I'd still go. After stocking up on holy water and getting some nightvision goggles, though :)
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-05-14 at 12:29 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Exalted Golden Age prior to the great curse setting in
    Yeah, here's the thing. Before the First Age, there was no Great Curse and the Primordials were treating everything like a 2-year old child will treat the ants in the sandbox. During the First Age, there was the Great Curse. There is no time period which you can call "the Golden Age" where there was no Great Curse.

And the Great Curse doesn't take centuries to set in. It is highly expected for a Celestial Exalt to limit break every year at the least. More often if they actually work along the lines of their primary virtue.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

If I'm *me*? Federation citizen in the Star Trek universe. Very high standard of living even for the 'poorest' person. I would be far better off than I am now.

But if I were a PC? Star Wars SAGA. Some form of non-Jedi force user.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsubo 57 View Post
    If I'm *me*? Federation citizen in the Star Trek universe. Very high standard of living even for the 'poorest' person. I would be far better off than I am now.
    Be sure to choose the colour of your shirt here in this world before you move to that universe.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post
    FATAL is pretty enjoyable if you are a male rapist. Or a male gang rapist. Or a racist gang rapist. Or a male sociopath. Or.....

Well you get the picture.
    Ok...What in the name of Stan Lee is FATAL
    an if it's as bas as you say where can I find the creator so I can give them a "Hobo Sandwich".

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

TVtropes tells you the troped truth of F.A.T.A.L

Warning. May cause fatalities.

Anyway. The setting I would live in would probably be one of my homebrew settings. Sure, you do risk getting eaten by gnolls, but you really need to go out of your way to meet anything really dangerous. It's very like living in this world, except less science, more magic.

And the hope that one day, you can get a Planeshift spell, or learn to cast it yourself.
    Last edited by Maryring; 2010-05-14 at 09:02 PM.