New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default PrC Request - Favored of the Lady

I'd like some help building a prestige class for my homebrew setting. Its specifically for one of the characters - a cleric with favored soul-like flavor. I didn't like the favored soul class from the book (PHB II? Not sure. Anyway...).

Basically he is a cleric of The Lady Most Kind, goddess of Death and Passion (100 points if you know where I cribbed that from [and when is that damn third book coming out?]). But he didn't choose her, she chose him. For some reason she's enamored of him. When he prepares spells she comes to him in his dreams and offers him gifts. The gifts represent his spells for the day.

For a PrC I would like something that allows continued spellcasting progression (bear in mind that I'm using the spell point variant from UA - I know its imperfect but it beats Vancian and my players are all rookies so they don't know any better) and adds a few abilities to prevent him from dying. The concept is that, because the goddess of death grants him special protection, its very hard to kill him. He's not any harder to hurt but actually killing him is difficult.

I'm thinking a larger hit die, the Diehard feat and something like the rogue's defensive roll. The problem is I kind of suck at math and balancing things. That's where Los Gigantes (you guys) come in. How do I make this work without gimping his other abilities and still keep him balanced?

Cheers
    Last edited by acid_ninja; 2010-05-12 at 05:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PrC Request - Favored of the Lady

Well, I don't know how strong it might be, but how about live to -HP? It'd have to come as a capstone, or after a lost caster level to make up for it.
    Immunity to Death Effects might also be good.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It doesn't need to be too strong. Like I said, they're rookies. Half the time they forget to use the abilities they have right now. I have to go pretty easy on them or it'd be TPK every week.

Just a little somethin somethin to make his character feel special. I may bag the whole PrC idea and just give him a unique item that does a lot of the same things.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

How about just 'doesn't die from damage?' You might have to throw a few more enemies with SoDs at them to stop it from being OBSCENELY strong... but it's flavorful. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    How about just 'doesn't die from damage?' You might have to throw a few more enemies with SoDs at them to stop it from being OBSCENELY strong... but it's flavorful. XD
    "Doesn't die from damage" is the equivalent of a permanent 4th level spell (delay death, SpC), so it's not too powerful. "Doesn't die and can keep acting way into the negatives" is that plus beastland ferocity, a 1st level spell, so that's still not too powerful for a capstone.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

(Bows)
    I try my best.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    "Doesn't die from damage" is the equivalent of a permanent 4th level spell (delay death, SpC), so it's not too powerful. "Doesn't die and can keep acting way into the negatives" is that plus beastland ferocity, a 1st level spell, so that's still not too powerful for a capstone.
    Granted, that particular combination - especially when made undispellable - is considered to be a rather abusive combination by most groups I have experience with...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe make the acting into negatives something/day?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Granted, that particular combination - especially when made undispellable - is considered to be a rather abusive combination by most groups I have experience with...
    My point was that it's already something you can do fairly easily by lower levels (its acceptability notwithstanding), so making it a capstone you're not going to get until much higher levels isn't as obscenely strong as one might think. Heck, "Fort save to ignore a bunch of HP damage" is just one of several high-level ToB stances for a character with less of a divine link than a favored soul.

What I'd do in this instance would be along the lines of "whenever the character would go below 0 HP, he can activate this ability as an immediate action to stay alive in the negatives indefinitely and act normally for up to 1 round/class level." Something like Cha mod times per day probably wouldn't be out of line.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sorry, don't really know how to do charts on this but here's what I'm thinking so far...

HD: d10
    Same save and BAB as cleric
    Qualify at 5th level (must be able to cast 3rd level spells)

1st level: Gain Diehard for free, no spellcasting progression
    2nd level: normal cleric progression + delay death as spell-like ability 1/day
    3rd level: Maybe give up spell points to gain a bonus to one save equal to spell points expended (max sp per use = character level) as an immediate action + spell casting progression (too powerful?)
    4th level: Normal cleric progression
    5th level: Defensive Roll (as rogue but uses will save)
    6th level: Normal cleric progression
    7th level: not sure
    8th level: Normal cleric progression
    9th level: not sure
    10th level: Only dies when brought to - total hp, can act into negatives up to class level rounds, usable Cha mod per day