The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What would the tarrasque's CR be if...

...you gave him his vorpal bite and claws of sharpness (basically Fortitude saving throw on a critical hit or victim loses a random limb)? I;m just cuirious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What would the tarrasque's CR be if...

Realistic CR where he'd actually be a challenge to a party of 4 including two spellcasters? 13-14 (in other words, facing him on 9-10 as campaign boss). CR by MM with those bonuses? 21.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-06 at 09:58 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

The Tarrasque's weakness is flight. If you want to make it harder, give it a breath weapon. Preferably radiant.
    Last edited by Faleldir; 2010-05-06 at 10:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    The Tarrasque's weakness is flight. If you want to make it harder, give it a breath weapon.
    That makes it too much like a magicless Dragon. I prefer Spine blasts la Lavos. And then make all its attacks magical and give it some relevant sensory abilities (so it isn't fumbling around with a 50% miss chance against friggin' Greater Invisibility...if it even manages to pinpoint the opponent).

At least give it scent, though it should frankly have Blindsight. And enough skill points in Spot to Spot something. And Trample-attack! Why doesn't it have one again? And a few immunities (such as Ability Drain, Drowning and Mind-Affecting...).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    At least give it scent
    It has that actually.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    It has that actually.
    Oh, true! Yay. Then give it 120' Blindsight. That's at least an improvement, though anything Superiorly Invisible still ****s it over.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, true! Yay. Then give it 120' Blindsight. That's at least an improvement, though anything Superiorly Invisible still ****s it over.
    flight screws it over.

8. - Top - End - #8

flight screws it over.
    As does a hundred other things. My last post outlined changes that would help it against many of those, including Flight + Windwall and other rudimentary defenses. Problem is, that's not any good unless it can detect its opponents somehow.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Replace 20 magical beast HD with 20 levels in totemist.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As does a hundred other things. My last post outlined changes that would help it against many of those, including Flight + Windwall and other rudimentary defenses. Problem is, that's not any good unless it can detect its opponents somehow.
    Well, one thing I imagine would help it would be making it immune to a lot of wizard abilities, including the ones you outlined. He should also be immune to energy damage above a certain value so that the wizard can't simply end the battle by going Nova*.

*I don't actually know if this would work well. If not ignore me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The Tarrasque is one of my fav monsters. Soo I modified it one day when I was bored. Some of the things I added, including ironically the "sharpness" ability, were weird. I debated about flight but with some of the stuff I gave it I felt it would be too much.

Spike Volley: Gave it some range attacks just like the Manticore
    True Sight: Constant "True Seeing" ability
    Hyper Beam: Yes, Hyper Beam! Corny as it seems but the thought of the Tarrasque charging an energy blast was vastly amusing.

Ohh, and none of that only "one" exist stuff.
    Last edited by mikej; 2010-05-06 at 10:34 PM.
    mikej

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

At the very least, make it so it isn't horribly vulnerable to pretty much everything but direct damage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

flight screws it over.
    Also Plane Shift (lol)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

The real question is, what would the Tarrasque's CR be if it had a flight speed of 100 ft?
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-05-07 at 12:48 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

In my personal opinion the trasq functions when the campaign puts it in certain situations. such as stop the rampaging ultimate monster before it gets to a town.
    The pcs should not know what the trasq is capable so its huge array of immunities means they will have to try and figure out a way of hurting it becuase it has a huge number of defenses.

Second it's heading towards something their trying to protect so if they fly out of reach it just ignores them and heads towards the city.

and finally the party should be relatively low level say 16 or so for a final end boss encounter (vary based on optimization).

Are their tricks and techniques that can make this a non fight? Of course the game was play tested poorly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    The Tarrasque's weakness is flight. If you want to make it harder, give it a breath weapon. Preferably radiant atomic.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-05-07 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Replace 20 magical beast HD with 20 levels in totemist.
    I'm pretty sure that would bring it up beyond CR 20. Especially if it's allowed to intelligently re-pick the feats that it gets from Hit Dice.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I'm back to working on converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    In my personal opinion the trasq functions when the campaign puts it in certain situations. such as stop the rampaging ultimate monster before it gets to a town.
    The pcs should not know what the trasq is capable so its huge array of immunities means they will have to try and figure out a way of hurting it becuase it has a huge number of defenses.

Second it's heading towards something their trying to protect so if they fly out of reach it just ignores them and heads towards the city.

and finally the party should be relatively low level say 16 or so for a final end boss encounter (vary based on optimization).

Are their tricks and techniques that can make this a non fight? Of course the game was play tested poorly.
    You could have a psywarr grapple the critter and carry it somewhere where the party can try out what stuff works and what doesn't.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That makes it too much like a magicless Dragon. I prefer Spine blasts la Lavos. And then make all its attacks magical and give it some relevant sensory abilities (so it isn't fumbling around with a 50% miss chance against friggin' Greater Invisibility...if it even manages to pinpoint the opponent).
    Cut out the middle man. Throw Lavos at them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    The real question is, what would the Tarrasque's CR be if it had a flight speed of 100 ft?
    You saw my list? That would solve flight, and leave you with:
    - Invisibility
    - Incorporeality
    - Etherealness
    - Superior Invisibility

Even if you give it the means to defeat those, there are still plenty of mid-level tools against it in:
    - Walls of Force
    - Solid Fogs
    - Glitterdusts
    - Greases

and generic tricks that enable you to negate its mobility to a sufficient degree, along with the actual killers:
    - Plane Shift
    - Control Water-type things
    - Any Domination-effect
    - Magic Jar
    - Control Undead

Solving the tools that slow it down isn't necessary; it's only fair that it can be slower down. Having it so easy to avoid and destroy, though, isn't really alright. So those need to go if you want for it to truly challenge people.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Tarrasque is the Monk of the Monster Manual. Very fluffy, very cool, looks overpowered if you're new to the system... and cries itself to sleep the moment a player picks up a spellbook.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 22, and we'd love to see what you make! Don't be scared even if you've never tried before!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

22. - Top - End - #22

The tarrasque should be built "in reverse". That is, it should be resistant to anything but direct damage, so the only way to kill it would be to go for a straight fight.

Maybe someplace where it cannot be one-shotted by a charge.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Disjunction breath.

It's roar becomes a sonic shockwave that destroys all spells in a cone ahead, suppreses items for 1d6 rounds, and deals something like 20d6 sonic damage or so.

Every 1d4 rounds.

That's not all it needs, but that would be a really cool and useful ability.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    Still ~cr14. The tarrasque is simply a 1-trick pony with no spellcasting support, so even a 14th lv party can take it down with some coordination. Without abusing any stuff. With the fighter standing toe to toe and whacking it in melee. For instance, a slow spell reduces it to a pathetic 1 attack/round.

You may want to look at the gangrath in MM5, which seems like a more fun and effective version of the tarrasque.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Yes, that was the joke. Congratulations. You killed it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The Tarrasque is the Monk of the Monster Manual. Very fluffy, very cool, looks overpowered if you're new to the system... and cries itself to sleep the moment a player picks up a spellbook.
    This could really be a good sig.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

The best use I've eer sen of the Tarasque was as a naion's secret ultimate weapon. It was only used if the s--- really hit the fan for them and the sent it out with their army (or what was left of it) so it was esentially a awesome tank protecting and distracting peope from the casters. I think it was also souped up and the nation's control gave it mind affecting immunity.

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

This might be a bit of a derail, but what do you think of the Pathfinder Tarrasque?

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/bestiar...s/-t/tarrasque

29. - Top - End - #29

This might be a bit of a derail, but what do you think of the Pathfinder Tarrasque?

Give him vorpal teeth and claws of sharpness and call it a day.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually like that version a lot - as a matter of fact, I think that I'll use it from here on, with the addition of a vorpal bite and claws of sharpness, as suggested above.