Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Heroes are Made, not Born

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Unearthed Arcane I think.
    Thanks.
    -Xavez
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Nice, thanks Shneeky, that makes my job slightly easier. I may tweak things here and there before officially adding to the rules but having a rough idea to work with is appreciated.

I'll have a look at Psychic Warrior in their transition, as it may be easiest to have them multiclass from the get-go between Warrior and Psychic Adept and transition into Psychic Warrior from there. Similar things could be done with possibly Duskblade, as well, so I'll have to have a look to see how things mesh up.
    My strong suggestion is to not let Psychic Warrior gain any additional powers until they start actually replacing Warrior levels with PsiWar. They aren't as dependent on psychic abilities in the first place, and certain low-end combos can be quite devastating. See also: Hustle Shuffle.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Query: When exchanging 'improved NPCs' and such, how do you feel about multiclassing? Can you take "Expert/Warrior'" for example? Is Barb/Fighter multiclassing allowed? How about Ranger/Rogue? Sorcerer/Paladin? Etc.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Full backstory needed? Also, what are "Vitality and Wound Points"? The rules you provided doesn't explain what they are, or give a remotely useful reference for them.
    -Xavez
    Back story is appreciated, though I don't expect pages upon pages. Getting an idea of what you expect of your character, as well as background I can draw plot hooks and NPCs from, is primarily what I'd been using it for.

As for Vitality and Wound Points, yes, it's in Unearthed Arcana or, more conveniently, here. I did write in the rules the page number in UA right next to it, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    This looks like a lot of fun; I'd be interested in making a character.

also: are ACFs for PC classes allowed? (example: soulbound weapon ACF for psychic warrior)

EDIT: is there any chance that dungeonscape might be added to the allowed books? a factotum sounds like it would work quite nicely for this.
    Hmm, I'm not sure on ACFs yet but I don't see an issue as of yet. Just point me towards what ACFs you wanna use when we get that close, as 7th level is a long way away and Commoners are fairly mortal.

As for Factotums, I think they're a little too much this, as Factotums seem to draw from an established adventuring tradition, which isn't available in what I envision. A lot of the material in Dungeonscape also draws on that sort of thing as well, which makes me not want to include it at all.

This isn't to say I may not make it available later, depending on how things go, just not from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    My strong suggestion is to not let Psychic Warrior gain any additional powers until they start actually replacing Warrior levels with PsiWar. They aren't as dependent on psychic abilities in the first place, and certain low-end combos can be quite devastating. See also: Hustle Shuffle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Query: When exchanging 'improved NPCs' and such, how do you feel about multiclassing? Can you take "Expert/Warrior'" for example? Is Barb/Fighter multiclassing allowed? How about Ranger/Rogue? Sorcerer/Paladin? Etc.
    Speaking of both, the rules have been updated to include psionics, as well as a bit of multiclassing.

Specific changes added:
    2 new Adept types: Lyrical and Psychic.
    Magic and Psionic Transparency is at Diminished Effect.
    Bard and Psychic Warrior require multiclassing, between Expert/Lyrical Adept and Warrior/Psychic Adept, respectively.
    Fractional Saves and BAB progression in effect.

On multiclassing, I don't see an issue with people multiclassing, as some combinations they want on the tail end of multiclassing may require it, like Sorcadins needing Warrior/Bloodline Adept. For favored class issues, that'll come into affect when you hit full PC at 10th (provided we make it that far, which I hope we can). For before that, since the system requires rapid retraining, it'd be a headache to worry about that as well and I don't want XP penalties to slow that progress.

For Psychic Warriors with manifesting, I think as I have it written, Psychic Warriors won't hit 2nd level powers till they start shifting into being actual Psychic Warriors, so we shouldn't have to worry about Hustling combos, I don't think.

Finally, after contemplating Devotions for a while now, I'm going to state that you're limited to 1 till you reach PC class levels and I'll be enforcing appropriate deity choices for devotions. That said, feel free to have a look through them, as I think devotions like Animal, Healing, Sun, Plant and Earth would work wonderfully for a particularly devout commoner of the appropriate deity. I also may be a bit cross if we have Death Devotion commoners unless you got a damn good story reason for it.

Input on the current state of the rules, such as whether Psychic Warriors and Bards got way too complicated, whether the Psychic Adept's special is at the right power level, would be appreciated.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #35

About retraining levels: Could I take Adept with 1 level of Warrior as my improved NPC class and retrain all of the levels to Sorcerer? I am thinking of making an eventual Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 10 and want to know if I could do that, or if I have to take a level of fighter, barbarian, ranger, or paladin.
    -Xavez
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

About retraining levels: Could I take Adept with 1 level of Warrior as my improved NPC class and retrain all of the levels to Sorcerer? I am thinking of making an eventual Sorcerer 10/Eldritch Knight 10 and want to know if I could do that, or if I have to take a level of fighter, barbarian, ranger, or paladin.
    -Xavez
    If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be a Warrior/Bloodline Adept and become all Sorcerer, using the Warrior level to qualify to get into Eldritch Knight?

The logic pitfall I see here is by the time you could go Eldritch Knight, you wouldn't have that Warrior level and thus wouldn't have the proficiency to get in. As such, you'd need a Warrior-like level, such as any of the above you mentioned.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be a Warrior/Bloodline Adept and become all Sorcerer, using the Warrior level to qualify to get into Eldritch Knight?

The logic pitfall I see here is by the time you could go Eldritch Knight, you wouldn't have that Warrior level and thus wouldn't have the proficiency to get in. As such, you'd need a Warrior-like level, such as any of the above you mentioned.
    So only skill points and feats stay the same when you retrain levels?
    -Xavez

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

So only skill points and feats stay the same when you retrain levels?
    -Xavez
    If I am understanding correctly, you have to retrain skill points and any feats you no longer qualify for...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

If I am understanding correctly, you have to retrain skill points and any feats you no longer qualify for...
    Read the rules link he gave.
    -Xavez

10. - Top - End - #40

it was specifically mentioned that skill points are not retrained (and I doubt feats would be either, as the prereq's are more difficult to make without class features in the first place). You get all class features of the classes you take and you lose them when you train out of those classes.

you'd still need to go fighter 1/sorcerer9/eldritch knight 10.

unrelated: the ACF I was looking at is the same one I mentioned in the example where I stated the question. the ACF can be found here, but it's a web enhancement.
    I'd understand if this were to be disallowed.

also: pity about the factotum. I was hoping to be the ultimate skillmonkey for the party. oh well, I understand.

EDIT: I took a look at the Psychic Adept progression and it looks very well-built. but it does allow for level 2 powers at level... 5.5. It looks great.

as a semi-related question, do we keep all powers we learn via adept levels? if I were to make a psion, would I keep all of the powers? would I lose them level by level? would I be allowed to lose the lower level powers first?

I also wondered this about spells as well, but I don't really plan on using them .
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-11 at 07:17 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Str: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Dex: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Con: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Int: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Wis: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Cha: [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

Gold: [roll]5d4[/roll]

Trait (Using this table) [roll]d100[/roll]

Looking forward to this. One thing, are we allowed to take the Vow of Poverty? I'd understand if not, since it'd be stronger than the rest of the party.

EDIT: Huh, forgot about that. I'll roll again in the dice forum, and link to the results.

EDITEDIT: Results. Alright stats, exactly half gold, and the trait is Detached.

Oh, and I re-rolled Str.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2010-05-11 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    stat stuff
    were we supposed to roll those on the forum? I rolled mine on a different website. better reroll then.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-11 at 06:45 PM.

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I did it here so that Cieyrin can be sure they're not lies and misdirections. Not that I think anyone will cheat.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

Not too shabby. Nice bit of cash - he can afford an ox! Passionate is the trait, I'm thinking this'll be a Rogue of some denomination.
    Edit: rerolled CHA.
    Sheet.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-05-11 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, mine seems destined to be a cynical cleric, what with high Wis and Str, and the detached trait.

My reflex saves will be terrible though.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sheet

Rolls

Hopefully I didn't blow all my good rolls already.

An animal handler with Illiterate as a Trait; didn't have much use fer book learnin', I reckon.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

sheet

yay! I can still pull off a psychic warrior with my new rolls!

EDIT: new sheet.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-11 at 10:24 PM.

I have salty tastes.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolls.

Rerolled Strength.

Sheet.

I think I'm going for Psion.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-05-11 at 07:57 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

19. - Top - End - #49

Man, everyone else has all these 18s and huge STR.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #50

Man, everyone else has all these 18s and huge STR.
    you should've seen my old scores. 13 was the lowest. 15 was the next lowest.

I have salty tastes.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

What would be the correct path to take for Warlock?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

I believe only SRD classes are allowed, otherwise I'd be all over Psychic Rogue.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

23. - Top - End - #53

What would be the correct path to take for Warlock?
    probably adept/expert with at least one spell being prestidigitation at all times (though who needs to be forced to do that?)

I have salty tastes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolls

Sheet (Background not done yet)

Made a mistake trait is Passionate not Detached
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheet. Haven't put in my feats, since I'm waiting for an answer on VoP.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

That sheet seems completely blank. Did you forget to save it?
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

*facepalm*

Yes. Fixed.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    it was specifically mentioned that skill points are not retrained (and I doubt feats would be either, as the prereq's are more difficult to make without class features in the first place). You get all class features of the classes you take and you lose them when you train out of those classes.

you'd still need to go fighter 1/sorcerer9/eldritch knight 10.

unrelated: the ACF I was looking at is the same one I mentioned in the example where I stated the question. the ACF can be found here, but it's a web enhancement.
    I'd understand if this were to be disallowed.

also: pity about the factotum. I was hoping to be the ultimate skillmonkey for the party. oh well, I understand.

EDIT: I took a look at the Psychic Adept progression and it looks very well-built. but it does allow for level 2 powers at level... 5.5. It looks great.

as a semi-related question, do we keep all powers we learn via adept levels? if I were to make a psion, would I keep all of the powers? would I lose them level by level? would I be allowed to lose the lower level powers first?

I also wondered this about spells as well, but I don't really plan on using them .
    You keep your skills and feats, as has been noted from the rules.

Spells and powers known should also be kept and slotted into available slots in your class as we go. I'll make a note of that in the rules when I have time.

Also, holy ****, character sheets and stat rolls! @_@
    I don't have time right now to look at them all at the moment, as I'm running a bit late to get to work, with all the other chaos today making my life this week incredibly annoying and painful. I'll have them open to look at when i get time to later on, though.

As for the ACF, I don't see anything outwardly wrong with Soulbound Weapon, just make sure to pick Call Weaponry as one of your Psychic Adept powers and there shouldn't be an issue down the line, I think.

Vow of Poverty is nixed, by virtue of BoED not being on the source list. Also, vowing to live in poverty when you don't have a choice otherwise is pretty silly, if you ask me.

Alrights, hopefully be back tomorrow or perhaps Friday if the chaos doesn't abate a tad. I'll also throw up a list of people in groups when i get time to as well. As a reminder, I don't know when I'll officially kick things off, as I've said previously I still have things to write up and RL is being way more turbulent than I care for.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just throwing my interest in the concept out there. My rules knowledge is fairly weak, but I'm a quick learner, so it should be no problem to pick up the relevant pieces. I'll probably try to roll my dirtfarmer one of the coming days.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

30. - Top - End - #60