New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Feats for a Druid [3.5]

Nope, but I can cast Shillelagh on my staff. If I encounter anything with DR/Magic...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Nope, but I can cast Shillelagh on my staff. If I encounter anything with DR/Magic...
    Yeah, but that's more appealing if you have some Str. Like Str 14 Druid is a great Shillelagh user, but I'd rather prepare Entangle and Produce Flame with an Str 8 one. Once you can turn into primates with Wildshape, Quarterstaff picks up some momentum again.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-10 at 12:40 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, it all depends on how pt-buy we can talk our DM into. We might even go with some sort of rolled stats. The DM just hasn't decided yet. I probably won't end up with anything over 14 strength though.

4. - Top - End - #34

Like I said, it all depends on how pt-buy we can talk our DM into. We might even go with some sort of rolled stats. The DM just hasn't decided yet. I probably won't end up with anything over 14 strength though.
    14 Str is plenty for THF Quarterstaff. Under any pb under 32, I wouldn't bother though. Dex is a priority on early levels anyways; Hide Armor or Leather Armor is the likeliest piece you'll wear and both have plenty of room for Dex-bonus. Besides, you'll be throwing ranger attacks, most likely.

EDIT: Level 2-3, of course, you can switch to Dragonhide Breastplate for couple of extra points, and even purchase it at +1. It's mere 1000gp.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-10 at 01:12 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    14 Str is plenty for THF Quarterstaff. Under any pb under 32, I wouldn't bother though. Dex is a priority on early levels anyways; Hide Armor or Leather Armor is the likeliest piece you'll wear and both have plenty of room for Dex-bonus. Besides, you'll be throwing ranger attacks, most likely.

EDIT: Level 2-3, of course, you can switch to Dragonhide Breastplate for couple of extra points, and even purchase it at +1. It's mere 1000gp.
    I'm not sure how prevalent Dragonhide really is in this campaign setting. Even if I can't it shouldn't matter for too long right since I'll be wildshaping at level 5 and I can't bring my armor with me anyways.

6. - Top - End - #36

I'm not sure how prevalent Dragonhide really is in this campaign setting. Even if I can't it shouldn't matter for too long right since I'll be wildshaping at level 5 and I can't bring my armor with me anyways.
    If you can get a Monk's Belt, it'll get you by from then on. That (if you can use it in Wildshape by putting it on afterwards)) or Fullplate with the "Wild" enhancement (which specifically works in Wildshape, only granting armor bonus getting you rid of ACP, Max Dex and such annoyances to boot) should be your longterm plan. Dragonhide...well, chances are it's not common, but it exists; maybe few Gather Information and Diplomacy-checks? You'll find out in-game, of course, but by DMG acquiring one by level 3 should be pretty doable.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-05-10 at 01:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Woot! We just got access to the SPell Compendium. Which spells from that book will be good for a druid?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Vigor Line
    Snakes Swiftness Line
    Bite of the Were X line

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, don't overlook snake's swiftness, it's crazy good for 1 and 2 level spells.

Also look at Splinterbolt for a decent 2nd level attack spell if you want one.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Indeed, don't overlook snake's swiftness, it's crazy good for 1 and 2 level spells.

Also look at Splinterbolt for a decent 2nd level attack spell if you want one.
    Does Snake's Swiftness affect yourself if you wish? Same with the mass version?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure does. But you're not going to use the non-mass version on yourself, that would be a standard action and a 1st level spell to get a free attack. Useful to make the party bruiser get a free shot in, though, (or more with Cleave) and potentially a lot more damage than you could otherwise inflict with a level 1 spell.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

You can spend your first few levels just hiding behind a tower shield and concentrating on Enrage Animal. It's especially good if you can get its effect swapped for Whirling Frenzy, but it's still good enough without that. Sand Blast and Wall of Smoke are also useful 1st level spells, Wall of Smoke can even be cast through a creature's space to force them to save or be nauseated every round they stay in it, which is particularly nice with a wolf tripping them.

Creeping Cold with a Lesser Rod of Extend deals 21d6 damage over six rounds at level 3, probably the most powerful single-target damage spell in the early levels. Splinterbolt is also decent once you hit 7th level, as is Icelance, but remember that you have to hit their regular AC with those, not their touch AC. Arc of Lightning can also be good, particularly if the opponents use some sort of tactical formations or just happen to be lined up.

Try to get a standard Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power by around level 12. Every other day use the rod to cast Energy Immunity three times on yourself, using the pearl so it only takes two spell slots, and each will last 48 hours. On the days in between use the rod to cast Energy Immunity twice and Superior Resistance on yourself, again using the pearl to only spend two spell slots, and each of those will last 48 hours. This will give you constant immunity to all five energy types and a +6 Resistance bonus to saving throws, all it takes is two 6th level spell slots each day and those two items.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The target entry for both versions of the spell indicate that it only works on "allied creatures." While you might be your own best friend, I don't think it's supposed to work on you.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

First off, No thread Necromancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunblast View Post
    The target entry for both versions of the spell indicate that it only works on "allied creatures." While you might be your own best friend, I don't think it's supposed to work on you.
    Second, unless I'm unaware of something, you're an ally.

Source: PHB
    A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to "allies" include yourself.
    mikej

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.