The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Most Useful Tool?

hey playground!
    everyone has their favorite piece of equipment that is a "just in case" thing. some people like a mirror, some like chalk, some people can never have too much rope

i was wondering, what is your favorite piece of equipment to haul around? has it ever come in incredibly handy? are there any creative uses that you like to use it for?

i must say that i always like to have alot of extra oil. need to start a fire in a jiffy? want to make a molotov cocktail? not a caster, but want a grease spell that lasts more than a few rounds?

and of course, when defending a stronghold, and the enemy is trying to use ladders to get up and over, pouring oil down the ladder and setting it aflame is always a fun one
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Most Useful Tool?

Water clock. It's heavy, relatively expensive and utterly useless.

But if you ever manage to find a use for it, and then pull it out of the backpack and offhandedly remark that you had just for the occasion, you'll win everyone's eternal awe.

[Edit]: Feather Token (tree) deserves a mention too.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-05-09 at 12:28 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

A grappling hook (along with lots and lots of rope). It can be used to lower yourself down somewhere, climb up somewhere, grab something you can't reach, and as a last-ditch emergency weapon. It's just amazingly useful.
    -Xavez
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The Most Useful Tool?

In b4 spells? Note: this is a joke

Ok, serious answer: marbles. They're great for nearly anything, save against huge monsters or bugs.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-05-09 at 12:27 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    In b4 spells? Note: this is a joke

Ok, serious answer: marbles. They're great for nearly anything, save against huge monsters or bugs.
    Throw them into a huge monster's eyes.
    Giant: OH MY GOD I CANT SEE SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!
    -Xavez
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There is nothing you cannot do with an Immovable Rod, a Decanter of Endless Water, a Portable Hole and/or an arbitrarily high amount of rope.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A leather pouch of chalk dust. So many uses.

It even once created an employment opportunity for my swashbuckler/rogue, as he convinced a public official that the odd dust was the remnant of a poison, and that clearly I had saved him from an assassination attempt. (Hey, any tactic that got me closer to that council lord's daughter was fair game. )
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    A leather pouch of chalk dust. So many uses.

It even once created an employment opportunity for my swashbuckler/rogue, as he convinced a public official that the odd dust was the remnant of a poison, and that clearly I had saved him from an assassination attempt. (Hey, any tactic that got me closer to that council lord's daughter was fair game. )
    You would be lots of fun at parties. And I agree with everything you said.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

An 11-foot pole, for those pesky 10ft radius traps, or delivering contact poison if you haven't got reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    There is nothing you cannot do with an Immovable Rod, a Decanter of Endless Water, a Portable Hole and/or an arbitrarily high amount of rope.
    I like the way you think.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

An 11-foot pole, for those pesky 10ft radius traps, or delivering contact poison if you haven't got reach.
    i must admit, that if i do not have a rogue handy, or some type of anti-trap ally, i tend to use a summoned creature to get rid of the trap for me. preferably something with improved evasion, but otherwise im not really bothered by using a cat or something to kill a trap.

and contact poison? hello blowgun.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, but unless your blowgun can summon creatures at will and has infinite ammo, it's nowhere as efficient as using a single infinitely usable item to do both. Plus, with a blowgun, if you miss, you waste a dose of poison, which would set you back thousands of GP for the ones worth using.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but unless your blowgun can summon creatures at will and has infinite ammo, it's nowhere as efficient as using a single infinitely usable item to do both. Plus, with a blowgun, if you miss, you waste a dose of poison, which would set you back thousands of GP for the ones worth using.
    if i have thousands of dollars worth of poison on one dose, then i would probably be putting it on a glove and shaking hands or smacking the person i intend to use it on. or possibly sneaking into the room belonging to that person and putting it on the inside of their gloves, or something equally sneaky.

i am not arguing that the 11 foot pole isnt a good idea. it is in fact a marvelous idea. i am just saying that i use different tactics.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Acid melts through armor and metal.

Even if the door is adamntium, you can melt the stone around it with enough time and acid. =P

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricOwl View Post
    Acid melts through armor and metal.

Even if the door is adamntium, you can melt the stone around it with enough time and acid. =P
    YES.
    -Xavez

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

A battering ram.

Unless there's a 3rd level martial adept in the party to Mountain Hammer down doors for you, of course.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

17. - Top - End - #17

Not really an item, but still: The Stupid Rogue. If you have one in your party, he will be your slave! Everyone knows that having a PC as your slave is great fun!
    -Xavez

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    i must admit, that if i do not have a rogue handy, or some type of anti-trap ally, i tend to use a summoned creature to get rid of the trap for me. preferably something with improved evasion, but otherwise im not really bothered by using a cat or something to kill a trap.

and contact poison? hello blowgun.

Not entirely sure, but aren't summoned creatures basically just your allies, but more like npc's in battle that should be controlled by the DM or something?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternal View Post
    Not entirely sure, but aren't summoned creatures basically just your allies, but more like npc's in battle that should be controlled by the DM or something?
    It's not that hard to pick up a Celestial Badger and hurl it forward a few paces.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention that, if you can communicate with the summoned creature, it will follow your orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A factotum. What?

Okay then, a portable hole. Unlike a bag of holding which tears if sharp things are placed inside, this thing is pretty much indestructible. Next time the DM thinks its clever to confront you with a pit of acid, use it to fill your portable hole. You now have around 8000 liters of acid. A tiny flask costs 10 gp. Not to mention all the combat uses for a big pit of acid that you can put anywhere. Might be able to do it with magma as well, but you'd need a way to keep it hot or it will eventually solidify.

Good for traps, too. If the rogue spots a trap, rather than take a gamble on disarming it, just throw the hole over it upside down. The trap now triggers inside an extra-dimensional space.

I'm not sure if by RAW the hole has its own gravity or not. If not, you could stick it on the wall or ceiling and have all the stuff fall out, which could be handy in the acid example above. Simply hold it so it faces the enemies and open; acid tidal wave.

If it does have its own gravity, even cooler. Stick it on the ceiling and use as a sniper hole, or place to rest where wandering monsters won't think to look right away. Or use it to perform incredible feats of strength. Place an extremely heavy stone block in there, with chains anchored to it. If you need to rip a door off its hinges, attach the chains to the door, and simply back away carrying the hole. The physics are a little wonky, but the DM will get a headache figuring them out, and that's the important thing.

Oh yeah, you may need to place it on a flat surface to open it, but there is no requirement for the thickness of that surface. You could put it on a piece of cardboard and it would work.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-05-09 at 03:58 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Immovable rod. Hands down. Use it as the best ladder ever, or just use the earth's rotation loophole to travel at extremely high speeds. Use it to bar a door, force it down an unconscious enemy's throat to make sure he won't be going anywhere for a while; the possibilities are endless.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    Immovable rod. Hands down. Use it as the best ladder ever, or just use the earth's rotation loophole to travel at extremely high speeds. Use it to bar a door, force it down an unconscious enemy's throat to make sure he won't be going anywhere for a while; the possibilities are endless.
    It's true, though YMMV, depending on the inertia rules in your uni-

*CLANG*

What the **** was that?
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by gdiddy View Post
    It's true, though YMMV, depending on the inertia rules in your uni-

*CLANG*

What the **** was that?
    Sir! I think General Evil has an Immovable Rod stuffed down his throat!
    Well, take it out!
    I tried, sir! It's immovable!
    Oh, ****...

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    or just use the earth's rotation loophole to travel at extremely high speeds.
    Though if you do that, you'll probably also have to deal with the fact that the Earth is also moving, and by the time you can turn it off, you're fifty thousand miles away in the middle of a vacuum. That or you're plowed through the ground, depending on which side of the planet you're on.

Edit: Immovable rods are very good at killing catgirls, though.
    Last edited by Divide by Zero; 2010-05-09 at 04:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Though if you do that, you'll probably also have to deal with the fact that the Earth is also moving, and by the time you can turn it off, you're fifty thousand miles away in the middle of a vacuum. That or you're plowed through the ground, depending on which side of the planet you're on.
    Also a problem with time travel.
    -Xavez

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Small Steel Mirror. Use as a signal beacon, a spying aid, and fighting those pesky medusae.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Small Steel Mirror. Use as a signal beacon, a spying aid, and fighting those pesky medusae.
    I KNEW I was forgetting something when I purchased equipment.
    -Xavez

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

shapesand is the best most adaptable Item ever.

for 100 gp you have just about every mundane Item in any book.

Need a 11 foot pole that doesnt blow up when you trigger the trap? Just use shapesand and will it back together.

Need a ladder that fits into your pack? Shapesand

forgot your grapnel hook? your pitons? shapesand

and of course the list is as long as your imagination is wild all for 100 gp

also my favorite trick is to buy a bunch and carry it in my portable hole. If I am not using it for anything in particular at the time I have it set up as spikes for a portable pit trap
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2010-05-09 at 04:37 PM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

wink Re: The Most Useful Tool?

Simply my favorite, the most versatile and useful Item in the entire world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

This is my shovel. There are many like it but this one is mine. My shovel is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my shovel is useless. Without my shovel I am useless. I must shovel my shovel true. I must dig straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must chop him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my shovel and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.