New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Batman and RObin

Some of them are mentally ill, but it would be a bit risible to send Ventriloquis and Harvey Dent to an actual prison without curing them of Mr. Scarface and Two-Face.
    huh what r u trying to say here?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the legal definition of insanity, insofar as its primary purpose seems to be to demonstrate that the accused is incapable of either a) understanding the consequences of his/her actions, or b) understanding the moral implications of his/her actions, is somewhat more narrow than a lot of garden-variety, DSM-IV approved flavours of f**ked-in-the-headedness.
    This is what KLF is about...&&Also known as the Justified Ancients of MuMu...&&Furthermore known as the JAMS...

3. - Top - End - #33

no it also includes, are not capable of controling their actions

someone who has black outs, or MPD is usualy considered criminally insane and commited rather than imprisoned because they were literally unable to make a conscious decision in regards to their crime

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ing

huh what r u trying to say here?
    Not all of Batman's nemeses are aware enough of their crimes to warrant a sentence at Blackgate Penitentiary and it would be really stupid to send someone like Scarface or Two Face there without curing them.

5. - Top - End - #35

ah yes, thought you were saying it would be proper to send them to Blackgate...which confused me.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

At a functional level none of Batman's enemies are sane, by any stretch of the imagination. In fact a decent, nay bad, attorney could probably pull of the insanity plea.

In fact a number of the rogues gallery seem to feed of of the rivalry with Batman. The Joker in particular seems to play off of the idea that he is some kind of twisted counterpart to Batman. Without Batman most of these criminals wouldn't exist, and in some cases have no reason to exist.

As for Arkham itself, I've always assumed that its better equipped to handle the likes of the Joker or Two-Face then say Levenworth, its just that the inmates are by and larger smarter than the average car jacker.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Raiders of the Lost Arkham

It is very possible someone in the system is on the take (crooked judges? dirty cops? asylum doctors who see their charges as career-making APA theses rather than human beings?) ...or maybe Gotham's budgets are slashed to the bone and they simply can't afford decent prison and asylum facilities.

Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot, aka The Penguin, is actually fairly sane, albeit homely, and ostensibly went legitimate later in the series (though he's been known to fence stolen property and arrange furloughs for old friends). In the comic he ran for mayor of Gotham against Hamilton Hill, and won. The Riddler uncovered some dirt on Mayor Cobblepot, but was found half-dead on Hill's porch in Bludhaven with a knife in his back before he could share it.

Mr. Freeze is arguably sane, although a terribly tormented man, but is placed in Arkham because it's the only facility that can accomodate his unusual requirement of a freezer cell. (This may explain the budget crunch: a profusion of special-needs criminals. In "Love is A Croc" Killer Croc lives in a huge tank of water that I bet cost a lot to keep up.)

Harvey Dent, in the comics, has been treated successfully with plastic surgery, but has a bad habit of rescarring part of his face and returning to crime.

Arnold Wesker has tried to go straight, has even been gainfully employed by Waynecorp, but he can never seem to quite shake the spectre of Mr. Scarface. One episode showed a plot by some old cohorts right out of Psycho II. They made intimidating phone calls and left notes, as well as bringing in a midget in a Scarface suit, to torment Wesker till he popped his cork and was driven back to crime.

It's debatable if Scarecrow is actually crazy or just a huge jerk. Prof. Jonathan Crane lost his job at Gotham University for whipping out a gun and shooting at a plant-pot in the middle of a classroom lecture. A flying fragment nearly put out a student's eye. He sought revenge on the regents who made the decision to terminate him.

Kim Possible's biggest fan!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Raiders of the Lost Arkham

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis_McCrablice

It's debatable if Scarecrow is actually crazy or just a huge jerk. Prof. Jonathan Crane lost his job at Gotham University for whipping out a gun and shooting at a plant-pot in the middle of a classroom lecture. A flying fragment nearly put out a student's eye. He sought revenge on the regents who made the decision to terminate him.
    Well comicwise Crane actually is nuts, and killed his mother and has this Oedipus complex right out of Psycho. He's the prototypical serial killer, if one could claim such a thing, as opposed to Joker who falls in the mass murderer category. Joker is still insane, but he isn't a serial killer.

9. - Top - End - #39

He's both

he's a psycological emotional sadist and he's also a jackass.

he commited his first murder in highschool and apparently spent much of the time torturing small animals such as birds

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

This movie replaced plan 9 from outer space as the worst movie ever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: ((Batman and RObin))  Now Batman discusio

The Joker could be a perfectly sane sadist who engineers his crimes to appear the works of madmen.
    Or he could be completely... batty.

-... no, no, he's crazy. Also brilliant. And, aside from, say, Bat-Mite, the only person in Batman's Rogues Gallery aware he's fictional.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl
    The Joker could be a perfectly sane sadist who engineers his crimes to appear the works of madmen.
    Or he could be completely... batty.

-... no, no, he's crazy. Also brilliant. And, aside from, say, Bat-Mite, the only person in Batman's Rogues Gallery aware he's fictional.

So the Joker has broken the fourth wall? When?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

I can't find a reference in the comics, but on the show he would occasionally hum his theme music. He also talks to the camera (though his constant running commentary/external monologue on all his actions might explain this).

-That's "Batman: The Animated Series", the good one, not Adam West or the psuedo-Anime one they have out now.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I can't find a reference in the comics, but on the show he would occasionally hum his theme music. He also talks to the camera (though his constant running commentary/external monologue on all his actions might explain this).

-That's "Batman: The Animated Series", the good one, not Adam West or the psuedo-Anime one they have out now.
    I may be familiar with it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Yes, but the Joker also does things to complete the joke/gag, and if that includes some monologue he openly states it. It's kinda blurry whether he knows he's in a comic or if he's just insane and sometimes talks to himself.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Joker

He's a walking cartoon. More so than other B:TAS characters, I mean. For example, in the episode with the toxic garbage barge, Joker's panning across the harbor with the periscope, calmly passes Batman standing on the prow, then does a quick Avery-style double-take and focuses on Batsie before he reacts. All that's missing is a boing! sound effect. I laughed. Crazy or not, the guy has great comic timing.

Marc Hamill is reputed to get so into it in the v.o. booth his face goes red and his neck veins bulge. I'm talking consummate actor here.

Kim Possible's biggest fan!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but the Joker also does things to complete the joke/gag, and if that includes some monologue he openly states it. It's kinda blurry whether he knows he's in a comic or if he's just insane and sometimes talks to himself.

Its not like he's Deadpool, who actually knows he's in a comic book.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon, the Squishy

Its not like he's Deadpool, who actually knows he's in a comic book.
    It's arguable that the Joker does know that he's in a comic book. I'm pretty sure that he is aware of the way the fictional world works. He's no Deadpool, but then again, the only other person who is Deadpool is Deathstroke.

19. - Top - End - #49

New topic. Is Joker actually skilled in fisty cuffs or is he a wimp without evil gas and henchmen?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

New topic. Is Joker actually skilled in fisty cuffs or is he a wimp without evil gas and henchmen?
    It really depends. On B:TAS, he was able to go mano-a-batto with Batman, but he never struck me as being more than above average in his physical ability. Most of the time he relied on his completely unpredictable attack patterns and deception to stay in the game.

In 'The Batman', he was much more formidable physically and could fight at least as well as Batman. I think they gave him a power-up there because they didn't want to use Harley Quinn.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

And in the comics, generally speaking, he's as skilled as one would expect in personal combat. So not very, at least not above most people. Batman should be able to wipe the floor with Joker, and does if he can get to the mad clown. So there's the trick, Joker knows that physically he can't compare to most heroes so he doesn't try to do so.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon: Victorious
    And in the comics, generally speaking, he's as skilled as one would expect in personal combat. So not very, at least not above most people. Batman should be able to wipe the floor with Joker, and does if he can get to the mad clown. So there's the trick, Joker knows that physically he can't compare to most heroes so he doesn't try to do so.

Batman hiimself admits that Joker is mad fast though...the guy is surprisingly spry

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Not to mention crazy. It's the difference between fighting a thug and fighting a guy that's dusted and everything.

-It tends to vary, though.

24. - Top - End - #54

The question is....

can a gay cowboy be a killer clown?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The question is....

Hey, why not?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: ((Batman and RObin)) Now Batman discusion

"here here!"
    We dont make bombing runs with \"Bigby\'s Crushing Tactical Nuke\". Unless we have a pool going as to who can get the closest to the target.&&&&No You will not use Unseen Servant in that manner. I don\'t care if it feels nice.&&&&avatar by dispozition

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King Steward

Hey, why not?

My crude photo manipulation says yes.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon: Vindictive

My crude photo manipulation says yes.

HOLY THE KILLING JOKE BATMAN!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

The question is....

well seeing as he's not really a gay cowboy, and is really just an actor I think he'll do fine. ::)
    I am sorry to have to be the one to break it to you Ing... I know this must be hard for you to hear, but I think that it's something you should know...movies aren't real Ing.They are made up, you know... pretend, like honest politicains, or two for one deals.
    I know it hurts to hear it now, but you'll thank me for it later. ;)

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Caillach

well seeing as he's not really a gay cowboy, and is really just an actor I think he'll do fine. ::)
    I am sorry to have to be the one to break it to you Ing... I know this must be hard for you to hear, but I think that it's something you should know...movies aren't real Ing.They are made up, you know... pretend, like honest politicains, or two for one deals.
    I know it hurts to hear it now, but you'll thank me for it later. ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...mp;x=0&y=0