New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A Giant Flaming Boar With a Hammer (3.5 Race, PEACH)

So, in much the same vein as my Upoka, I find myself worldbuilding without the crunch to support my fluff. Here're the Poziar- essentially, a combination between a wild boar and the elemental plane of fire- balance and flavor PEACHing welcome.

Spoiler
    Show

It had to be done.

The Poziar

Fire is known for both its capacity to burn and warm; for its ability to both kill and heal. The Poziar are fire given life- capricious, destructive, and powerful. Literally fashioned from elemental flame, inside each of them a fire burns, and it is from this fire that they draw their immense strength and speed.

Peronality- Capricious and aggressive, Poziar cannot be anticipated- only prepared for. Free Poziar live for thrill and adventure, quickly becoming bored, and often attempting to rectify this by setting something aflame. They welcome both life’s good and bad, for to them, there is no difference- they are merely new experiences.

Physical Description- Poziar often stand near 6 1/2 feet tall, or more. Their arms are wiry, but nonetheless strong. Their legs are long and backwards bending, ending in thick hooves. Their shoulders and torso are thick and dense, and covered in dark red bristles. Most notable, however, are their faces, which end in long tusked snouts, similar to those of a wild boar. Their skin ranges from a dark red to brown, and the bristles covering their head are often a brilliant crimson. Their eyes are small, black and beady. Poziar are considered adults at ten years old, and few live past forty.

Relations- Poziar generally get along poorly with virtually everyone else, even other Poziar. Their aggressive and careless manner of speaking certainly earns them more enemies than friends. Although some individuals may look past their gruff exterior (and their mostly gruff interior), such people are few and far between.

Alignment- Poziar are almost universally chaotic, and often pay little attention to matters of good and evil. A lawful Poziar is approximately as common as an orphanage in the Demonweb Pits.

Poziar Lands- Poziar, as a general rule of thumb, are either slaves or adventurers. Thus, they have no lands to claim their own (and are happier for it).

Poziar Religion- Poziar honor elemental fire as their creator, but do not attempt to anthropomorphize it. The rare Poziar cleric often worships fire or chaos as entities in their own right, ignoring the gods who lay claim to them.

Poziar Names- Poziar name themselves. Those who are in slavery often name themselves after the tradition of giants. Those who are free can be of any name- oftentimes, they simply go by a descriptive nickname, completely ignoring the notion of a given name.

Adventurers- Virtually all free Poziar are adventurers. They tend to lack both the social tact and practical skills necessary to sustain themselves in another manner, though a rare few may fight as mercenaries or soldiers.

Poziar Racial Traits

• +4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha: Though fast and incredibly strong, Poziar lack the patience to learn, focus, or pay attention to social niceties.
    • Medium Size: As medium sized creatures, Poziar have no special penalties or bonuses for their size.
    • Poziar base speed is 40 ft.
    • Powerful Build: As the Goliath racial ability
    • Fire Within: The fire within all Poziar grants them supernatural drive and stamina. Poziar suffer half normal penalties for fatigue and exhaustion, and receive the Endurance feat for free.
    • Fire Resistance 10: Poziar are acclimated to working in flames, and their thick skin repulses heat.
    • Cold Vulnerability: Poziar take half again damage from cold effects, and suffer a -2 penalty on saves against spells of the [Cold] descriptor. As their internal temperature is much higher than a human’s, they are affected more dramatically by effects based on cold.
    • +2 Racial bonus to Intimidate checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Ignan. Bonus Languages: Any. Poziar are found in all climes and locales, and the rare few of them with the capacity to learn another language will often chose the most common of his current home.
    • Favored Class: Barbarian
    • Level Adjustment: +1
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-05-11 at 12:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A Giant Flaming Boar With a Hammer (3.5 Race, PEACH)

The Poziar Paragon

"Fire is just a tool. It may save a traveler's life, or burn down an orphanage. How could you blame me, then, if I did either?"
    -'Blazer,' a Poziar Paragon

The Poziar Paragon is the incarnation of flame and pure brute strength, both of which are put to ample use on the battlefield.

Adventures: A Poziar Paragon adventures simply because he neither knows nor cares how to do anything else.

Characteristics: The Poziar Paragon is a deadly and incendiary front-line combatant.

Alignment: Almost universally chaotic.

Religion: Like Poziar, Poziar Paragons revere flame as their creator, but only rarely acknowledge true deities.

Background: Poziar Paragons are those Poziar who decide to focus and master the flame which gives them life, rather than studying the techniques of others.

Races: Poziar

Other Classes: Like normal Poziar, Poziar paragons are generally disliked, but nonetheless respected for their incredible strength.

Role: The Poziar paragon is primarily intended to fill the same role as a barbarian- wade in, chop enemies to pieces, burn them to ashes, and wade out.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Poziar Paragons have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: Strength is vital for the Poziar Paragon, who will likely be spending most of his time bashing away at enemies. Dexterity is a vital asset to the Poziar Paragon who is attached to his spleen, or otherwise does not wish to be hit.
    Alignment: Any Non-Lawful
    Hit Die: d12
    Starting Age: As fighter.
    Starting Gold: As fighter.

Class Skills
    The Poziar paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |
    Special

1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Fire Resistance 20, Blaze Within
    2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Conflagration
    3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Inferno, Ability Boost (Str)
    [/table]

Fire Resistance 20 (Ex)- This replaces Poziar's normal Fire Resistance 10.

Blaze Within (Ex)- The fire which fuels the Poziar begins to shine into the outside world. The Poziar sheds light as a torch. This ability may be deactivated as a free action, and reactivated as a move action.

Conflagration (Ex)- The inner fire of the Poziar spills over his body. The Poziar is unaffected by cold weather, and may share this benefit with anybody physically close to him, if he desires. Furthermore, any creature grappling the Poziar automatically takes 2d6 fire damage at the beginning of its turn.

Inferno (Ex)- The fire within the Poziar is unrivaled in strength and intensity, and ceases to be affected by other, lesser flames. The Poziar becomes immune to all fire damage. In addition, the light provided by Blaze Within doubles, and the damage from Conflagration bypasses fire resistance (but not immunity).

Ability Boost (Str)- The Poziar gains a permanent +2 strength.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-05-11 at 01:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Poziar Paragon is done, and the finished draft is ripe for the PEACHing.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-05-11 at 12:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

It's not a giant boar if it is Medium sized. Regular boars are Medium sized.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The text and table of the Paragon don't match, which is somewhat confusing.

Otherwise, seems neat and worthwhile for LA +1. I was briefly worried about the Fire Within for how fatigue is affected on a Barbarian oriented race but it handles it in a way that's not an issue.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #6

Ah, sorry about that. I got a crapload of server errors while I was writing it. Fixed. Also, thanks. I haven't actually made a race before, so I'm pretty happy if this one came out well.

Also, regular boars don't have Powerful Build.

Anyways, how does this class balance up? +4 Str, Powerful Build and increased speed make it an ideal race for front-line fighting. I threw in the Cold Weakness to try to balance that out, but I'm not entirely certain how well that worked.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-05-11 at 07:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Anyone else have any feedback for the race or the paragon?