New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Books or Authors you like

This is in response to the 'Books or authors you dislike' thread. I for one am a book lover and do not wish to see my loves disparaged. So without further ado here is a list of books/authors that I happen to enjoy.

Garth Nix. with the exception of Ragwitch and Drowned Wednesday (both of which I liked) I have loved all of his books (Abbhorsen Trilogy, Shades Children, Seventh Tower series (6 books, but more like 2 good sized ones) and his short stories even (across the wall ect.)

Terry.... Pratchett (got ya ey?) I like *most* of his books (too many to list) but I think that his colaboration (good Omens) with Niel Gaiman was a disaster.

David Brinn, author of Startide Rising and The Uplift War Sundiver (only read those ones so far)

*Some* Mercedies Lackey (only some) I really liked Joust (but the other 2 in that series were fu***ng sh**ty) Elvenbane and a few of the valdemar ones

Stephen Gould, he wrote Jumper and some others. another authot that I really like Jumper is probably one of my favorite books of all times

Robin Hobb Assassins Trilogy, Liveship Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy
    I liked them all for the most part (the middle assassins book was annoying)

Emma Bull, I only really liked one of her books.
    The War for the Oaks freaking awesome book anohter one of my favorites

Diana Wynne Jones. I like her books a lot for the most part... but I did not like the Chrestomanci Series

Diane Duane. Wrote the Wizard books (So you want to be a Wizard ect.) loved them)

ok, that is enough listing books and authors. those are what I happen to like... disagree if you must but don't hold it against me too much (well the Mercedies lackey you can... cause most of her stuff is not creative)
    anyways post what you like and thanks for actually reading this...
    Lurker Extraordinaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Books or Authors you like

Chrisopher Paolini - The Eragon series. He does take alot from other writings, but he was 15 when he wrote Eragon, so it's kinda expected. Still, I love his writing.

JKRowling - Harry Potter.

If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hmm, both sets of books were ok. ;D

I almost forgot (oops, I did)
    Naomi Novik. amazing author she only has 3 books out that I know of
    His Majestys Dragon, Throne of Jade and The Black Powder War
    go read them NOW!! they will knock you freaking socks off. IMO a truly original take on dragons (and that era of history)
    Lurker Extraordinaire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mind Flayer
    Chrisopher Paolini - The Eragon series. He does take alot from other writings, but he was 15 when he wrote Eragon, so it's kinda expected. Still, I love his writing.

JKRowling - Harry Potter.
    Seconded, especially if you've seen my post on the other thread (books you're reading right now).
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anything by H.P.Lovecraft, or another author using the Cthulhu mythos. Takes me a while to read through the books though.
    "That's replacing the octopus in my nightmares!"
    "There's an octopus in your nightmares?"
    "Not any more!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I often mention my favorite author to people, and they stare at me blankly, because no one ever knows him, but oh well. He's Sean Stewart. His books just keep appreciating in quality, and his latest one, Firecracker, keeps that up by being sparklingly awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. The definitive modern fantasy, everything else really pales in comparison.

J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. However popular it currently is to dislike him, he is an amazing author. I don't think much more can be said here.

Sharon Kay Penman's historical fiction set in Medieval England. A lot of it is really enjoyable, expecially Here Be Dragons and The Sunne in Splendour. I'm normally not a big fan of Historical Fiction, but she's great.

I have to say, I am astonished that anyone would put Paolini on this list, but everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I believe I launched into a rant about him in some other "Favorite/Least Favorite Book Thread".

I'll probably think of some others some other time, as it is 1:30 AM. I'm also asuming that this is predominantly for Fantasy/Sci Fi/Historical Fiction/Realistic Fiction, so I didn't put on some of the other stuff I really enjoy.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidar Haran

I have to say, I am astonished that anyone would put Paolini on this list, but everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I believe I launched into a rant about him in some other "Favorite/Least Favorite Book Thread".
    I agree with this, however uncreative the story the first time I read it it was slightly charming.
    Lurker Extraordinaire

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I like this thread more than the other one because i'd rather here about good books so I can look out for them.

Anything by Terry Pratchett is good. I always get one or two out-loud laughs per book and that to me is worth more than gold. (Well maybe not gold, how about silver?)

Douglas Adams is a funny man too. The Hitchhiker's Guide was his best work. The Dirk Gently books had some good stuff (Thor being followed by a Coke machine was interesting) but not as good as his Hitchhikers stuff. It is such a pity that man died so young, he had a life-time of writing books for me to read ahead of him.

Say what you like about Tolkein but he practically invented the genre that we all love. He is long-winded and the plot lines were complex but I can handle more than one hero in a book and a complex story is good. Tolkein's books verge on mythology rather than fantasy.

I don't read a lot of modern fantasy because it is all the same. Ho-hum another elf etc. I prefer to read mythology especially Norse or Celtic. The Poetic Edda rocks.

I also like reading about Real Estate investing and wealth creation by such authors as Steve McKnight, Dolf de Roos and Robert Kiyosaki. I'm not a capitalist pig, I just hit 30 and decided I didn't want to be 50 and poor. So I started reading books like this to educate myself.

Cheers,
    Joel

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

R.A. Salvatore of course.
    Dave Duncans "King's Blades" series is really good too
    and finally all of the Dune books.
    ~~books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn\'t pay..so if you keep reading, you\'ll go broke~~&&&&Props to B0nd07 for teh avy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

All the Robin Hobb books. They rock.
    The Deverry books by Katherine Kerr. Though it was 5 years since I read them, and I have forgotten almost everything, I remember thinking they were good books when I read them.
    The Iliad and the Odyssey are good books, if a little unusual compared to other things.
    The Name of the Rose by... hmm... Some Guy was good.
    The first Wheel of Time books were good, then they devolved into something were 1000 different characters are doing 100 different things, with a lot of Aes Sedais that just lives in palaces and does Aes Sedai stuff. Would have been better as a soap opera.
    En krigares hjärta (a warriors heart) by Niklas Krog is good. His other books suck.
    The narnia books. At least I thohught so when I was younger. When I was younger I read books ALL the time. When I didn't have anything new to read, I read the Narnia books. I must have read them all about 20 times. But of course I don't remember anything from them now. My memory lasts as long as dead oysters in Sahara.
    Yay!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

That "Some Guy" would be Umberto Eco ;). And yes, The Name of the Rose rocks.

I may get a few WTFs from this, but whatever: Tad Williams. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is one of the best fantasy I've ever read, period. Even though the "surprise" ending was anything but that, thanks to, oh, five hundred millions of clues thrown across the whole story, the rest of the books more than compensate for this. Tailchaser's Song is the best book about cats ever written (epic heroic kittens = awesomeness). And Otherland ain't shabby either, although it lagged a bit in the final book. The day this guy learns how to cut stories a bit shorter and stop his verbal leakage before he drowns himself in it, he's gonna be a master.

And yeah, Pratchett is god. But we all know that. Right?.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

George RR Martin, naturally
    Jaqueline Carey - her Kushiel's Legacy trilogy is probably my favorite series ever.
    Robin Hobb
    Jodi Piccoult
    Augusten Burroughs

just to name a few

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eyespliced
    Diana Wynne Jones. I like her books a lot for the most part... but I did not like the Chrestomanci Series

Diane Duane. Wrote the Wizard books (So you want to be a Wizard ect.) loved them)
    I have to agree with you on Dianna Wynne Jones, though the Chrestomanci series wasn't that bad. they just couldn't compare to the rest of her books.

Also, Diane Duane's Wizard's series is extremely good, and anyone who has not read them should.

Hmm, well, I just finished reading Homeland, and am now reading Exile (by R.A. Salvatore, the first two books in the Legend of Drizzt series for those who don't know), and they're fairly good, though he does draw combat out a little bit. ;)

I like Terry Jones wrote some good books, mostly The Knight and the Squire, and The Lady and the Squire.

I also enjoy most of Jules Vernes classics, but especially liked 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

That's about all I can think of at the moment...

EDIT: Douglas Adams!!! How could I forget? :D I liked his entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series...
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack
    I may get a few WTFs from this, but whatever: Tad Williams. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is one of the best fantasy I've ever read, period. Even though the "surprise" ending was anything but that, thanks to, oh, five hundred millions of clues thrown across the whole story, the rest of the books more than compensate for this. Tailchaser's Song is the best book about cats ever written (epic heroic kittens = awesomeness). And Otherland ain't shabby either, although it lagged a bit in the final book. The day this guy learns how to cut stories a bit shorter and stop his verbal leakage before he drowns himself in it, he's gonna be a master.

QFT ya'll. Williams is one of my favorite fantasy authors because of Memory, SOrrow, and Thorn, which probably qualifies as my favorite book trilogy ever, and [i]Otherland[i] which is also very good.

Pratchett is, like everyone else here, one of my favorties. I think I prefer him to Adams because his plots and cahracters are better.

T.H. White's The Once and Future King

Just about anything by Dickens, especially, The Tale of Two Cities. Many of his stories may be rather similar, but he is definetly the master of the sudden revelation.

Nancy Farmer. She may be technically a children's author, but The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm & The House of teh Scorpion are just amazing, so I have to include her.

Cyrano de Bergerac For those of you who haven't read it, do so. It's short, should take you like an hour and a half, and it's got everything, from laugh-out loud humor, to action, to romance and tragedy It's the best.

That's probably like 1% opf my list. If anything else strikes me, I'll let you know.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Robert Jordan - Wheel of time. Even though the later books are stagnating its a pretty intense world and storyline. Hope Jordan'll be alright and doesn't succumb to his illness.

Tad Williams - War of the Flowers (and others, but that one is my favourite book by him).

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere, Smoke and Mirrors, American Gods

William Gibson - Pattern Recognition (really really great book!), Neuromancer Trilogy

Christopher Moore - The gospel according to Biff, christs childhood pal (terribly funny book about the young years of christ), Practical Demonkeeping, Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings
    ...damn I can't come up with a witty signature. Hopefully my lack of inventiveness'll go unnoticed!

17. - Top - End - #17

I read alot of Dave Barry, and at the moment I'm reading Robert Jordan.

Garth Nix is great.

I read some Terry Pratchett, and I LOVED Good Omens.
    The hideous monster I'm kinda responsible for.
    The new thing, due to something I said:Viva el presidente Hefty Brick!

18. - Top - End - #18

Lloyd Alexander's Chrionicles of Prydain (eg. 'The Black Cauldron'). One of my most cherished fantasy series of all time. Even though they're more for children than adults, I still love them to pieces. :)

Hm, what else. Most have already been mentioned. I have read 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtney only once, but remember being hardly able to put the book down most of the time.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    Shadow of Light | --==(UDIC)==-- | Ultima V: Lazarus

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack
    That "Some Guy" would be Umberto Eco ;). And yes, The Name of the Rose rocks.

Thanks for reminding me of Some Guy's real name. It was a bit embarrasing to not remember the author of a great book I read just a month ago.

And I must agree with you on Tad Williams. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn must be one of the best fantasy series ou there. Otherland was also good. I can't say anything about Tailchaser's Song, since those two series are the only books by him that I have read.

And to add some new books/authors, Dan Brown's books are good, at least I think so.

Raymond E. Feist is also good, but I have only read his first books. Of the ones that I have read, Fairy Tale is the best. It is also the only one of his books that doesn't take place in his kliché fantasy world Midkemia, or the not-so-kliché Empire (I have forgotten the world's name, sadly. My memory lasts as long as dead oysters remain fresh i a bacteria bath in Sahara)
    Yay!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Doom
    All the Robin Hobb books. They rock.
    Yeah.... although I didn't like Soldiers Son as much as I liked the Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man Trillogys (a Trillogy of Trillogys :P)

Terry Prattchet's Discworld books

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books, I can't find any of his other books exept for the Keys books and I don't like them very much....

Tolkien... not much needs to be said....

and many others.... :)
    Takes avatar Requests Portfolio
    Spoiler
    Show

Trophies By LiB, Oblivion and Me

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCorax

Yeah.... although I didn't like Soldiers Son as much as I liked the Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man Trillogys (a Trillogy of Trillogys :P)
    Soldiers Son, ey? I only knew of the Farseer/Trader/Tawny Man books...
    i'll have to look into that other one..
    oh, and corax, are you also a member of a Diablo II board? becuase a board that I used to frequent had a corax...
    Lurker Extraordinaire

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where to start?

George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series. The last book was pretty draggy, but overall his writing's some of the best I've seen in fantasy.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. Again, some books are better than others, but his comic tone and pacing is fantastic, and he's such a wiseacre.

Steve Perry's Matador series. Easy, fast reads, good characterization. Great popcorn for the mind.

Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series. Gritty and fun.

Neal Stephenson, especially "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon". PHENOMENAL. "Zodiac" isn't half bad, either.

The obligatory Pratchett and Gaiman.

And stone me for it if you must, but I loved Eddings' "Belgariad". His other series were second verse, same as the first, but the Belgariad was a lot of fun.

Esther Friesner's early work, especially "Elf Defense". One of the few truly good comic-fantasy authors out there.

I'll stop, otherwise I'll be typing here for an hour.
    Thanks to Doihaveaname? for the custom avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Trilogy (although it is not really a trilogy) is great. I didn't like his other books, but I only read Dirk Gently's Detective Agency (I think that was its name).

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, except for books Nine and Ten is very enjoyable. Long, but definitely worth the read. I might be the only person who enjoyed his later books, but everyone still seems to buy them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

i like read books in a series and then all the other other ones set in that world/place
    My favorite settings:
    Known Space (Larry Niven)
    Dune (Frank Herbert)
    Pern (Anna McCaffery)
    Forgotten Realms (R.A. Salvatore othe rmany others)
    It's my favorite combination
    Comin' down with the favored nations
    Deep rotation, mutilation
    Learn to give and take dictation
    --RHCP "21st Century"

Douglas Engelbart is my hero!

We will either find a way, or make one
    --Hannibal, 210

john 1135, go cry about it

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarilion, and The Hobbit, from least favourite to most favourite.

Rowling.

Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series. The best modern books I've read.

Anything by Harry Turtledove. Sometime his writing is boring, but his ideas are fantabulous. I've read the World War series, the "Timeline 191" series, and the "Darkness" series.
    Tonight, on silver wings;
    We'll be soaring through the mountains of the moon...
    On our silver wings;
    Flying where no angels fly...

26. - Top - End - #26

Orson Scott Card and the Ender and Bean series. The only one I haven't read yet is Shadow of the Gi

1984, Brave New World, and Inferno (Orwell, Huxley, Dante)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I read all of the good things being said about A Sont of Fire and Ice, I hopped on my bike, went to teh library, and got A Game of Thrones. So far I'm only twenty pages into it, but I thought I'd post to say that it's very addictive so far and if it keeps up I'll have to thank this thread for the good recommendation.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

It only gets better, my friend, it only gets better.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

the tales of the otori trilogy by lean hearn
    Cthulhu for president : don't accept the lesser of two evils.

Wicked Avatars c/o : The one, the only, needing no introduction ... Ceika!!!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

George R.R. Martin is one of my favorites. I enjoyed the Wild Card series he put together with a bunch of other authors. Haven't read them all but they got better as the writers got more familiar with each other's characters.

When I'm having a bad day I like to pull out one of my many Calvin & Hobbes books. May not technically be right for this thread but it is a book and I like it :)