New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Science of Superman - Discovery Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton
    This wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers%...nt_of_Superman explains a lot of the random changes in Superman's powers over the years. Basically he gets the standard DC hack around every decade.

That about covers it, since every decade or so he gets more powerful then they can deal with due to any number of stories written.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I saw an ad last night for the show. It's going to be on the National Geographic channel tomorrow night at 9pm Pacific Standard Time.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    What is your source for 2-6 tons and 1/8 of a mile?
    Reprints of the original Siegel and Shuster run of Superman. Various lettercols and interviews given by different Superman writers and editors. Seriously, Superman's first incarnation was about able to pick up a car or truck. It was a little while before he was running at super speed or hurling mountains.

4. - Top - End - #34

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon

Correction noted, but his first appearance was Action Comics June 1938. It was a very early comic, at best from the late 40s. The 1000 times great is from the show itself, its based on the fact that for him to do what he can do with the gravity theory it has to be at last 1000 times greater than Earth's.

It makes sense.

Made it, I have a Batman one too, its not as nice though.
    It's nice that you can draw. I wish I could. Really though, you should use the Batman one and give me the Superman avatar. :D

AS for the 1000 times, you got that from the Discovery show? I'm still waiting to hear where you got the 1/8 mile and 2-6 tons.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

It's nice that you can draw.

AS for the 1000 times, you got that from the Discovery show? I'm still waiting to hear where you got the 1/8 mile and 2-6 tons.

As mentioned at least three times now, its from the original Superman comics. It was actually printed in some of the early ones. I can't specifically mention the issues since I don't know, but the show does specifically detail the covers and several interior panels displaying such information. At a guess I'd peg them in the early to mid 40s in terms of time lines, just based on Superman's look and the style of his crest.

Edit:

Quoth the Wiki
    Superman's powers develop during the 1940s, including vast increases in strength and gaining the ability to fly — the earliest comics depict Superman able to leap an eighth of a mile at a time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

Thats from Wikipedia, and as far as I know is actually substansiated in a variety of comics. If I can dig up a cover, or an interior panel I'll post it.

6. - Top - End - #36

Planetar

As mentioned at least three times now, its from the original Superman comics. It was actually printed in some of the early ones. I can't specifically mention the issues since I don't know, but the show does specifically detail the covers and several interior panels displaying such information. At a guess I'd peg them in the early to mid 40s in terms of time lines, just based on Superman's look and the style of his crest.

Edit:

Quoth the Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

Thats from Wikipedia, and as far as I know is actually substansiated in a variety of comics. If I can dig up a cover, or an interior panel I'll post it.
    Look, I'm well aware that Superman started out weaker and got progressively stronger in the Golden and Silver Ages. I probably knew that before either of you was born. My question is where you get such specific numbers, like 1/8 of a mile or 2-6 tons.

So you're saying that all of these specific numbers come from old issues of Superman in the Golden Age that you saw how?

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

So you're saying that all of these specific numbers come from old issues of Superman in the Golden Age that you saw how?
    Title covers, there are a number of them actually in The Science of Superman as examples of how he started as character, and how his powers evovled.

http://superman.ws/tales2/explanation.php

There's a fun link from a 1939 edition.

http://superman.ws/tales2/twopageorigin/?page=2

The second panel specifies 1/8 of a mile, and a tremendous weight is appearently a nice sedan. At best 2 tons, so very early on he could lift a car with minimal effort. A large truck was some strain.

http://superman.ws/tales/1930s.php

This is the same site and includes different clippings and galleries from the 1930s to today. Very fun stuff.

8. - Top - End - #38

Planetar

Title covers, there are a number of them actually in The Science of Superman as examples of how he started as character, and how his powers evovled.

http://superman.ws/tales2/explanation.php

There's a fun link from a 1939 edition.

http://superman.ws/tales2/twopageorigin/?page=2

The second panel specifies 1/8 of a mile, and a tremendous weight is appearently a nice sedan. At best 2 tons, so very early on he could lift a car with minimal effort. A large truck was some strain.

http://superman.ws/tales/1930s.php

This is the same site and includes different clippings and galleries from the 1930s to today. Very fun stuff.
    Thanks for all the links! I actually found the 1/8 of a mile figure on the Wikipedia website, although with a recent weight-"lifting" ability of 200 quintillion tons, or 1/30 the weight of the Earth. In one recent story he moved the planet Pluto, and Batman said that he's powerful enough to split the Earth in two. Of course that must be accurate since we all know that Batman is omniscient. ;)

Edit: There's also a cool story written by Siegel and Schuster in 1934--four years before the Superman publication debut--that tells the story of Superman's origins. Cool!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: There's also a cool story written by Siegel and Schuster in 1934--four years before the Superman publication debut--that tells the story of Superman's origins. Cool!
    Yeah I spotted that as well.

I did find a fun quote from Batman, I think that its Batman/Superman Adventures, "In many ways Clark is the most human of us all, and when he shoots fire down from the sky, it's hard not to think of him as a god. How fortunate for us that this never occurs to him."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent quote! Though I don't think Clark is quite as naive as Bruce implies...
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

11. - Top - End - #41

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
    Excellent quote! Though I don't think Clark is quite as naive as Bruce implies...
    Yes, I think it's difficult for darker people to see how virtuous people can be worldly and yet retain their virtue.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I think it's difficult for darker people to see how virtuous people can be worldly and yet retain their virtue.
    I was actually thinking that as I watched The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest.