New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: This isn't your Dad's Childhood! This is Let's Play: Pokemon: Shiny Gold: Hard Mo

All of them! Create a link and trade with yourself to have all the starters!

My vote for Cyndaquil tho.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: This isn't your Dad's Childhood! This is Let's Play: Pokemon: Shiny Gold: Hard Mo

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Totodile. Name him "The Maw of Azathoth."
    Too long, I think. I suggest Mazathoth

Another vote for Cyndaquil. It's what I went for in gold/silver - the water starter here just isn't as awe-inspiringly powerful as Squirtle and its evolutions.

Also? Why would you do this to yourself? Why?

......This from the same person who finished Dungeon Crawl, mind you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

My vote goes for Totodile named Irwin (in honour of everyone's favourite crocodile wrestling lunatic).

You: Male named Bob.

Rival: Named Bob. He hates you because you have the same name and no other reason.

I remember my first run through on Gold, it was on a floppy disk and my computer couldn't translate it so I played the entire game without having a clue what was going on at any point. It wasn't even in Japanese, it was just shapes and dots. And still I managed to beat the Elite 4.

I look forward to this.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, it looks like you've got V4, which is already a Hard-Mode hack. Carlos and his slowpoke will murder you if you have Cyndaquil.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll put my vote in for Totodile. I always go Water type with my starters. It probably stems back from the traumatic beat down I had in First Gen when I picked Charmander as my starter.
    Why Brock? Why?
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I say Cyndaquil- name of Mousefire, because the whole idea of this is that you'll get on with him/her like a mouse on fire...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Go for Totodile, and name it Steve, after the other part of the crocodile guy's name. It would also explain why it doesn't stay down, it wrestles death until he sends it back.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yeesh. You're more confident than I would be, to try something like this. Those rules sound nasty
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #39

I have no idea what to tell what to be or what to get.

I am, however, interested in how you are going to write this? In Character perspective? Out of character musings?

In character is just going to be heartbreaking because your pokemon don't faint, they die.

10. - Top - End - #40

A Totodile named Connor
    because, Totodile is awesome

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    My vote goes for Totodile named Irwin (in honour of everyone's favourite crocodile wrestling lunatic).

You: Male named Bob.

Rival: Named Bob. He hates you because you have the same name and no other reason.

I remember my first run through on Gold, it was on a floppy disk and my computer couldn't translate it so I played the entire game without having a clue what was going on at any point. It wasn't even in Japanese, it was just shapes and dots. And still I managed to beat the Elite 4.

I look forward to this.
    I think if you go for totodile the croc hunter reference is win, but for names also name the other non totodile pokemon bob, with the excuse that bob,(you) is thinking of him as his kid

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

In character. And trust me, it'll be heartbreaking, but only to you. My main character is NOT going to be someone you'll like.

VOTING IS CLOSED
    It looks like a tie between Totodile and Cyndaquil (though correct me if my math is wrong), so I'll be going with Totodile. I hope to have the first update up tonight, but I have a lot of things I hope to do today, so no promises.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Damn straight.

Whatever old man.

...We are two minutes into this conversation and I already don't like you.

Here's where I should explain. My name is Janick. I'm a conman. Making money is what I do. I'm not from this region, and I don't have any experience with Pokemon. I'm just here to make some cash. I'm actually 21, but I went undercover for this con. Looks pretty good, doesn't it?

This sounds ominous.

This is Mom. Or at least, that's what everyone else thinks. She's actually undercover, like me. For a keen 5% of the profits, I have a built-in get out of jail free card in case some of the cops come after me. She said something about some guy named Elm wanting to see me.

Handy. I nearly forgot. The PokeGear is a little device that I got. It's to help me keep in touch with Mom, and some of my other friends. With it in hand, I went over to see this Elm guy.

Blah blah blah. I'm really not paying attention.

Aaaaaaand now I'm paying attention again.

Rare Pokemon huh? I knew this idiot was giving out Pokemon to 12 year olds, but I didnt' know they were RARE. This makes it even better. I walked over to the desk and looked at one of the balls. I released the Pokemon inside. It was a stupid looking alligator, so i went to put it back, but Elm just smiled at me and pushed me aside. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him. I'm supposed to be 12. What the hell.

His aide gave me a potion for some reason. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with it.

This is where I'm living for the time being. I wonder who that red-headed kid is. Eh, it's probably nothing.

And then this guy charged me from nowhere. Is this how battles are supposed to work? Sneak up on them and challenge them?

Oh right. Even though my pokemon is a stupid-looking piece of crap, I gave him a cool name in hopes it would make him cooler.

Looks like it worked. Sort of. Ripper shredded that ridiculous turtle, anyway.

Apparently he's Carlos. This is the sound of me not giving a damn.

So I walked a bit and ran into this guy. What, are wild Pokemon some kind of stealth assassins? They hide in the grass and jump out? It's just grass, for gawd's sakes.

...Oh.

Sometimes I wonder if everyone here is prepubescent, not just the trainers.

Guess that theory is disproven.

Yeah, I'd rather not. I walked around, and of course, the only other person in this freaking town tells me to go talk to the old guy and get a map. Sigh.

Right, boring. Here is where I stopped paying attention.

Whatever. Just give me my map. Thanks.

Huh. She's pretty hot.

Guess that's as good a reason as any to stay in here for a bit.

Yeah yeah, Pokemon. I want to know about *you*
    Damn. She kicked me out.

And I'm off, again.

I am now wary of all grass. However, I've made it this far with no attacks.

This is a weird house, out in the middle of the woods. Well, at the very least, I don't have to worry about being attacked by random birds.

And who are you?

Oh. You're the guy with the stupid name. Mr. Pokemon, yeah.

The world is doomed.

Who?

You look oddly familiar. Have we met before?

That's creepy.

Hey back off. This ridiculous crocodile is my slave.

Chumps.

Yessir, that's me.

Depends on if you're handing out free minions like the last guy.

See, now we're back to me not caring.

Don't spoil him. Ripper will be fine. If he can't handle a little pain, he doesn't deserve to even be a Pokemon.

Huh. I got a call.

What is?

What is!?

WHAT! IS!
    Hanging up now, you blubbering old idiot.

I would like to point out that jumping off this ledge was not at all scary.

And then this guy ran into me. He looks damn familiar.
    Yeah, I got a Pokemon at the lab. That stupid Elm guy was just giving them away.

Hey! Elm is not stupid! He's an inspiration to us all! His research on Pokemon has helped us learn so much.

Actually kid, you seem like a moron to me. Just step aside so I don't have to kick your ass.

You don't deserve your Pokemon. Let's go!

Is this how people settle their differences here? I mean, I was going to fight him hand-to-hand.

Well at least his Pokemon looks even more stupid than mine.

And it sucks more too.

It really sucks.

He looked pretty heartbroken. As he was tending to the little plant, I stole his wallet.

I'm going to train, and I'm going to stop people like you from ruining the sacred friendship between people and Pokemon!
    Whatever kid.
    He ran off. Guess I should get back to that Elm guy.

(I made this chapter in two sessions, and I moved them into an album after the first. Hold on for a minute, and I'll have those first few fixed.)
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2010-05-15 at 01:47 PM.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

What are the chances you still have the first screenshots and will be reuploading them?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

100%.

Sorry everyone, this is my first Let's Play, and I'm new to it all, so I ask that you try not to get too irritated when stuff like this happens. My apologies.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Rare Pokemon huh? I knew this idiot was giving out Pokemon to 12 year olds, but I didnt' know they were RARE.
    This made me wonder... how are they still considered rare if every 10 year old and their mom can get one?

Also, I like the spin you put on this... I shall be watching intently... [/stalker]
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

17. - Top - End - #47

I really like this concept. One of the few LPs I'm gonna keep an eye on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On behalf of YoSaffBridge, a collected gent who also hails from the UK, I would like to apologize for the time (times?) he told your lovely children that they were possessed by El Diablo. He has his own issues to work out, and occasionally suffers from the honest delusion that small children are demons. Plus, he’s a bastard. I guess that’s not really an excuse, but I did say these would be sincere.

Steam Name: [ChHa]YoSaffBridge

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    This made me wonder... how are they still considered rare if every 10 year old and their mom can get one?
    Can you get the two other starters by any way besides trading?
    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-05-15 at 10:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

2 things. First, a rudimentary cast of characters has been added to the first post. Second, just me bragging about my luck, I have not run into a single Wild Pokemon on Route 30, so I am able to catch one once I get the balls. Oh happy day!

Thank you for the compliments everyone!

20. - Top - End - #50

RogueGuy

Nice intro to your character. What is it with everyone rping a psychopath these days? (Not that I mind or anything)
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I always liked Silver (and Blue for that matter) and always disliked how they were portrayed as such jerks. Figured I'd fix it with this. Making the PC a total ass was just a bonus.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Could you please put the chapters in spoilers? It's just easier then to follow other comments while images are still loading (it is always bumping what I'm reading down until all images are loaded...)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Yessir .

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks

25. - Top - End - #55

Might I recommend adding your Let's Play to Dark Fiddler's compiled list? That thread could use a bump anyway.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

26. - Top - End - #56

I'm looking forward to Janick's merciless mocking of everything in and about the Pokemon universe. Keep up the good work.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

I suggest doing some early-game grinding on Route 29 (I would usually have my starter at Lv10 for the rival battle on my way back to the lab...), but well done for not running into anything on route 30, considering the imposed ruleset, that'll help you a lot. I will be watching this (you have been warned).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Can you get the two other starters by any way besides trading?
    No, but since there's nothing stopping people from breeding more and trading them, they're even less rare now.

Think about it: even before trading and such, about 1/3 of the trainers in a region will have any given starter (although nobody seems to use it except the PC, rival, and a few random trainers), and after that more people can get them from those that already have them. I wouldn't call being owned by more than a third of the population 'rare'.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think every single person goes through a professor before they start using pokemon. Just the PC and rival normally.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Other people are probably brave enough to catch their own caterpie or pidgey, as opposed having it handed to them by some man in a labcoat. Yes, they are noble enough to understand that a man child must catch his own pokemon, freely, as it is in nature, rather than side with the maaan and his fancy degrees in pokemonology. We are not entitled to pokemon, man! Down with the intellectual bourgeois and... *gets punched by the universe, lest this rant collect even more random buzz-ideas*
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...