New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Doppelganger Help

So I'm planning a big revealing of a doppleganger in my own game and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've always had trouble hiding NPC identities from my players and I was wondering, can anyone in the playground give me some advice on keeping a doppleganger secret?
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Doppelganger Help

For starters, it would help if we knew what the job of this doppelganger is. Is he replacing a party member? Is he an NPC traveling with them?

We can't give useful advice without a more specific situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If possible I would like to add myself to this thread, as i too am playing with the idea of making a doppelganger character.

My question would be:
    If a Doppelganger changes into someone who has wings and at-will flight, does he also gain at-will flight?
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Re'ozul View Post
    If possible I would like to add myself to this thread, as i too am playing with the idea of making a doppelganger character.

My question would be:
    If a Doppelganger changes into someone who has wings and at-will flight, does he also gain at-will flight?
    I can answer this one. If it is a movement mode of his new form then yes he would get it.

Quote Originally Posted by srd: Change Shape
    The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
    But if it is a special quality of his new form then no.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Re'ozul View Post

My question would be:
    Depends on the system. I believe that would work in 3.5, but not 4e. Someone else should correct me on that though.

I have two big questions for when it comes to doppleganger shenanigans. Do the players have any reasons to suspect dopplegangers? Does the doppleganger have any interest/interaction in/with the pcs?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of curiosity: Are you running the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil?

I'm gathering from your post that either you're a terrible liar or your players are particularly genre-savvy, or both.

In the case of the former, don't lie if they'll know when you're lying. If you're sweating bullets every time Kerrick has to fib, the cat'll be out of the bag in no time *meow*. Instead, settle for a nice blend of half-truths, misleading statements and the occasional lie. For example, when Mila Kunis said, "I'm going to be 18," in response to the casting director's question "How old are you?" the latter assumed (rather logically) she was 17. In fact, she was 14 - Mila has said she was going to be 18, but not specified what year. You'd be surprised what outrageous conclusions you can gently guide people towards.

If you merely have some snooping players, throw out a red herring or two to distract them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Quirrell
    Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?
    I could go on, but you have the idea and I'm started to ramble like an insane...ly tired person, so I'll put a sock in it.