New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Batman vs. the Hydra

Knowing the negative response from many of you to a Batman vs. anything topic, well... here is another possible confrontation for the cape crusader.

I think Batman has is much easier defeating the hydra than the owlbear because since he had top ivy league education, Batman would know how Hercules defeated the hydra. He would use his batarangs and the bat-flame-thrower.

The real question is: after defeating the hydra, would Batman dip his batarangs in the poison of the hydra like Hercules did with his arrows, or donate the poison to some institute in order to develop an antidote to hydrapoisoning?????

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Batman vs. the Hydra

He wouldn't donate the poison to SOME institute, he'd donate it to HIS institute and then sell it to fund him.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no no no! Don't you know?!

You're supposed to use the classic online nerdy line to take the piss of every Batman vs. _____ fight:

The hydra wins in a straight fight, but Batman wins with preperation.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No, no, no, no! You're not supposed to have stupid threads like these at all! Do they really serve a purpose other than making you look dumb for making another "Batman vs. Something" thread?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Batman uses his Bat-Hyrdra repllent
    This site gives 1.1 cup of food for each click Please spread it http://www.thehungersite.com

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

If Tenacious D can win against the Hydra, Batman had better be able to...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes but Tenacious D had style.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Scientific query

If you cauterize the neck stump immediately after decapitation (i.e. with a Bat-blowtorch), would the head be able to grow back?

Kim Possible's biggest fan!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

no

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Scientific query

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis_McCrablice
    If you cauterize the neck stump immediately after decapitation (i.e. with a Bat-blowtorch), would the head be able to grow back?
    That would pretty much be the whole point.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

has anyone seen Batman use a Bat-flamethrower or Bat-blowtorch? ???

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

i'm sure Albert is holding it for him...
    &&Drow by Kord

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by celticdeltic
    Yes but Tenacious D had style.
    So Batman doesn't have style?
    &&Rafik El-Shayib, Ha Treen

14. - Top - End - #14

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Belamros
    So Batman doesn't have style?
    Batman has more style in his little finger than Belkar has in his whole (little) body. Unlike Belkar, however, Batmann doesn't care about style. Belkar has to consciously act with style while Batman just has it.

Yeah, I was going to do the joke about "with preparation..."

I have never seen a Batblowtorch, but I suspect that the exploding Batarangs produce enough heat to seal a severed neck. Batman obviously has Ranged Sunder with the Batarang, and in 3rd Ed you need to do a Sunder attack to damage a head now. Otherwise you're just hacking at the body. So I think Batman could just stand off at a distance, say 30 feet or so, and do multiple Ranged Sunders with explosive Batarangs to remove all the heads and seal the severed necks.

Edit: We also shouldn't give short shrift to the whole Bat-hydra-repellent idea. :D
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Batman's torch song

Quote Originally Posted by KayJay
    has anyone seen Batman use a Bat-flamethrower or Bat-blowtorch? ???
    He was going to in "The Clock King", when he was trapped in a locked bank vault with a time bomb attached to a vaccuum pump, to burn open the door...but Clock King mentioned on a tape he left behind that the bomb would go off before the torch did its work, plus the flame would exhaust his already limited oxygen supply (courtesy of the pump). Plus opening the box holding the bomb, he cautioned, would trigger the explosive early. Batman had to rig up a pulley system intead using the tape from the casette to move the box closer to the door, then use a Batarang to open the lid, hoping the explosion would be enough to blow it before his air ran out....

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

16. - Top - End - #16

Chimera

I thought Batman also carried around his handy Bat-extra-air-supply on the Batbelt.

I changed my mind. Batman definitely loses. Mostly because I'm starting to really despise him.

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

Default Re:  Batman's torch song

He was going to in "The Clock King", when he was trapped in a locked bank vault with a time bomb attached to a vaccuum pump, to burn open the door...but Clock King mentioned on a tape he left behind that the bomb would go off before the torch did its work, plus the flame would exhaust his already limited oxygen supply (courtesy of the pump). Plus opening the box holding the bomb, he cautioned, would trigger the explosive early. Batman had to rig up a pulley system intead using the tape from the casette to move the box closer to the door, then use a Batarang to open the lid, hoping the explosion would be enough to blow it before his air ran out....
    It's amazing how often Batman has to rely on pure luck despite the claims to the contrary of the Bat-deifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick-set
    I thought Batman also carried around his handy Bat-extra-air-supply on the Batbelt.

I changed my mind. Batman definitely loses. Mostly because I'm starting to really despise him.
    The real Batman is cool. It's the Bat-deity created by the Bat-deifiers that we hate. Remember that famous Christian saying: hate the Bat-deifiers, not the Bat. ;)

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think that an ordinary hydra is a difficult challenge for any superhero with access to fire/heat/acid and the story of Heracles.

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by King Steward
    I don't think that an ordinary hydra is a difficult challenge for any superhero with access to fire/heat/acid and the story of Heracles.
    How about an awakened, fiendish, dire, half-matzah-ball hydra?! Muhaha! :D

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    How about an awakened, fiendish, dire, half-matzah-ball hydra?! Muhaha! :D
    Okay. Most superheroes would have a problem with that, but then again most of them have faced balls of cheese like Galactus and Mordru, so I think they'd still win. Especially Superman. Superman rocks.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by King Steward

Okay. Most superheroes would have a problem with that, but then again most of them have faced balls of cheese like Galactus and Mordru, so I think they'd still win. Especially Superman. Superman rocks.
    LOL! Superman does rock, but even he would have trouble with an awakened, fiendish, dire matzah ball. I mean, matzah balls are like kryptonite, except without the kryptonite yummie flavor. ;)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Batman Clocks In

He does, but a can of air would only last so long--and, remember, that bomb was ticking all the while. The choice was axphixiation or being blown to Bat-bacon bits.

It's amazing how often Batman has to rely on pure luck despite the claims to the contrary of the Bat-deifiers.
    Not so much luck here, but carefully apprising the situation and the tools at hand. He also makes it a point to know his enemy. The thing is, Clock King does too. He actually memorized minutia like train schedules and studied film of Batman to see how long it took him to throw a punch, enabling him to duck a blow effortlessly. And unlike Joker or Penguin or Two-Face, he wasn't blinded with hate for Batsie that clouded his judgement, so he was able to be objective and scientific. The bland and unassuming Temple Fugit may well have been Batman's most dangerous and competent foe.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re:  Batman's torch song

I just got Macguver flashbacks....

Beautiful Avatars by Chris the Pontifex and in sig by DarkCorax.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

So... he didn't :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

i rember him using a small blow torch once i think.

Animated Clock King ruled...he was like an anti-batman.

who would win? Clock King vs Batman...each with preperation!?

who knows....flip a coin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Tick-tock talk

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRider
    I just got Macguver flashbacks....
    I think there is a "Batman v. Macguyver" thread someplace....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ing
    who would win? Clock King vs Batman...each with preperation!?
    Although a promising character, Temple Fugate was only seen in two episodes:
    * "The Clock King". C.K. fights admirably, dueling Batman inside a clock, but gets his walking-stick jammed in the gears. The clock overheats and falls apart. C.K. is thought dead.
    * "Time Out of Joint". Fugate is a servant to a scientist who has created a device that can create small localized time warps. He steals the device and uses it to get into the mayor's office (continuing his vendetta against Hamilton Hill from his last appearance). He rigs the Batmobile with another device that causes it to get stuck in time. Batman and Robin use special time belts to travel in suspended time. The best scene in the ep, quite possibly, is Batman running at top speed down the street with a bomb literally blowing up in slow-mo right in his hands. Clock King is locked up at Arkham.

A 2004 comic book showed Fugate rigging a mayoral election against Hill; Nightwing and Batman arrested him in Bludhaven, where he watched his crime unfold gleefully from a distance.

He appeared a couple times in Justice League, although I didn't see these episodes. Fugate's more behind the scenes here, using his analytical skills to good advantage. It's also implied that he might have laid the groundwork for the birth of Terry McGinness, Bruce Wayne's successor, through some judicious DNA tampering.

The thing to remember about C.K. is, he's obsessed with Mayor Hill, whom he blames for ruining his life. And he's detail- and number-oriented.

Back to the hydra--under what circumstances would Batman face such a beast? Being mythological, it would likely fall under Maxie Zeus's domain...but he's never been into genetic research. He'd have to hire on someone who does that sort of thing, like Prof. Milo, or that ex-colleague of Kirk Langstrom's who turned Catwoman into a cat-woman in "Tyger, Tyger"....

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Default Re: Tick-tock talk

I think there is a "Batman v. Macguyver" thread someplace....
    Although a promising character, Temple Fugate was only seen in two episodes:
    * "The Clock King". C.K. fights admirably, dueling Batman inside a clock, but gets his walking-stick jammed in the gears. The clock overheats and falls apart. C.K. is thought dead.
    * "Time Out of Joint". Fugate is a servant to a scientist who has created a device that can create small localized time warps. He steals the device and uses it to get into the mayor's office (continuing his vendetta against Hamilton Hill from his last appearance). He rigs the Batmobile with another device that causes it to get stuck in time. Batman and Robin use special time belts to travel in suspended time. The best scene in the ep, quite possibly, is Batman running at top speed down the street with a bomb literally blowing up in slow-mo right in his hands. Clock King is locked up at Arkham.

A 2004 comic book showed Fugate rigging a mayoral election against Hill; Nightwing and Batman arrested him in Bludhaven, where he watched his crime unfold gleefully from a distance.

He appeared a couple times in Justice League, although I didn't see these episodes. Fugate's more behind the scenes here, using his analytical skills to good advantage. It's also implied that he might have laid the groundwork for the birth of Terry McGinness, Bruce Wayne's successor, through some judicious DNA tampering.
    In Justice League Unlimited episode 78, titled, "Epilogue," we learn that Amanda Waller is responsible for Terry having Bruce's DNA:

Waller reveals that Bruce had nothing to do with Terry – she is the one who “created” Terry McGinnis as Batman. Coming to respect him and realizing one day he’d be too old to continue, she secretly got a sample of Bruce’s DNA and then arranged for it to be injected into Warren McGinnis along with nanobots that rewrote his own DNA. Terry was the result, but then Waller need to recreate the tragedy of Bruce Wayne as well. She employed he Phantasm to kill Terry’s parents after a movie, but this Phantasm balked. But destiny was too strong – Warren McGinnis was murdered anyway and Terry found his way to Bruce and became his protégé.